[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
More.......................
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
American Honda Sets New June Sales Records on Strength of Light Trucks
Honda reveals refreshed 2019 HR-V and Pilot
Acura TLX GT wins class and places 3rd overall at 2018 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb
Spied on the Street! 2019 Pilot and Pilot PHEV mule
All-New 2019 Honda Insight Brings Style, Sophistication and 55 mpg City Rating
It's Official: Honda to supply Red Bull Racing in Formula One from 2019
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda new teaser ad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2019 Supra may get 4cyl
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: MotoGP - Assen TT (you should watch)
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Munro says Model 3 has >30% gross margin
Join Discussion......
ILX --> Re: 2019 ILX
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Zak Brown: 2018 McLaren Ďweaker than last yearís carí
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: New RDX vs NX Infomercial
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Such a damn nice car
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Type-R Fascia Changes spotted at Nurburgring
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Marauding Mirais
Join Discussion......
Hot Deals --> Great lightning deal on Anker ROAV C1 Pro (2k resolution) dashcam - $75
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2017 Civic Si 360whp One Take
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews
Join Discussion......
Civic --> 2001 Honda Civic non-vtec to vtec engine switch
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: 2019 Chevy Blazer Revealed As A Sporty Crossover

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author
  Post New Thread
longhorn
Profile for longhorn
2019 Chevy Blazer Revealed As A Sporty Crossover    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 00:56
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
https://www.motor1.com/news/249896/2019-chevrolet-blazer-revealed/

I don't know why but I like it.

Passport and Edge competitor.

Jld94
Profile for Jld94
Re: 2019 Chevy Blazer Revealed As A Sporty Crossover    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 09:51
I think it's probably a smart move, fill another niche but I question the sizing a little bit. I have not seen dimensions but with people standing around it, it doesn't appear much bigger than an equinox.

I also don't think the front and rear go together that well, front more sporty than rear to me, something about the taillights I think. Something that kills me on the interior though is the big circle air vents and the low placement.

Overall it has potential, can't wait to see it in person

MSZ
Profile for MSZ
Re: 2019 Chevy Blazer Revealed As A Sporty Crossover    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 10:07
This is clearly designed for the Chinese market given the 4 cylinder standard engine.
HondaDad
Profile for HondaDad
Re: 2019 Chevy Blazer Revealed As A Sporty Crossover    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 10:09
I think it look hideous. Not a fan of the grille or the floating roof. But taste is subjective. I'm a fan of Volvo, Audi, and Porsche when it comes to SUV design.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: 2019 Chevy Blazer Revealed As A Sporty Crossover    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 10:11
longhorn wrote:

As a traditionalist (and a one time K-5 Blazer owner) I think it's a huge mistake to use the Blazer name on this thing. I don't really care for the styling in the first place - it looks like something that could've come out of the Nissan studios, and I don't mean that as a compliment. But the Blazer should be a RUGGED TRUCK with more traditional styling elements. That's probably expecting far too much from GM's studio, though. I could be wrong, but I expect the Bronco to be a much better take.

typer_801
Profile for typer_801
Re: 2019 Chevy Blazer Revealed As A Sporty Crossover    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 10:21
I don't know that I'm offended by it or hate it, but certainly isn't a 'Blazer', rather a smaller Traverse.

Think this was a bad choice to resurrect the Blazer name for this new 4 door SUV. Agree, it lacks the ruggedness and off road capabilities the original had which made it famous.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: 2019 Chevy Blazer Revealed As A Sporty Crossover    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 10:29
Looks like an Equinox Sport.

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: 2019 Chevy Blazer Revealed As A Sporty Crossover    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 10:41
I like the look (though it is clearly derivative) but don't think it should be called a Blazer. Even without the context of model history the name suggests something more rugged and any Blazer revival should be more retro, like Ford is attempting with the Bronco.
longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: 2019 Chevy Blazer Revealed As A Sporty Crossover    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 11:03
For those who state it should not be called a Blazer, the name has brand equity in it and many of the young professionals ie. women who will be leasing/buying this thing no nothing of the original Blazer's BOF roots.

The question is will this replace the Malibu in the Chevy lineup. Remember Ford doing away with the Fusion but stating there will be something in that "space" to replace it. I am thinking GM is thinking the same but is just smart enough not to announce to the world your leaving a segment.

Makes one wander what styling direction Honda will take the Passport. This late in the game one has to think the new Passport will ride on the new Accord platform, and not the present Pilot/RL one.

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: 2019 Chevy Blazer Revealed As A Sporty Crossover    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 11:12
It looks like a tall Camaro.

If they really did not think people would link this to the past Blazer model, then they could have named it anything else they wanted. But they picked Blazer. It's an intentional connection.

The Blazer was great as one of the original ladder frame compact truck-UVs and is far removed from what this is.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: 2019 Chevy Blazer Revealed As A Sporty Crossover    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 11:26
CarPhreakD wrote:
It looks like a tall Camaro.

If they really did not think people would link this to the past Blazer model, then they could have named it anything else they wanted. But they picked Blazer. It's an intentional connection.

The Blazer was great as one of the original ladder frame compact truck-UVs and is far removed from what this is.

Mine looked like this one (though I didn't have the aftermarket wheels/tires)

smArt
Profile for smArt
Re: 2019 Chevy Blazer Revealed As A Sporty Crossover    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 12:30
Chevy Blazer thinks it's an Acura.

longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: 2019 Chevy Blazer Revealed As A Sporty Crossover    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 12:36
I believe this is what Jeff is describing about the original Blazer

From C&D, ( love their sarcasm or truth in writing,learn a few lessons suck up Motor Trend).

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/2019-chevrolet-blazer-the-blazer-is-back-official-photos-and-info

"For those of us who have achieved a certain age (if not the maturity that generally comes with it), we know what a Chevrolet Blazer is. Itís the K5: a cut-down full-size pickup with a flimsy removable fiberglass shell covering the bed and cab. Itís kind of ratty because itís owned by a teenager, itís been jacked up a mile in the air, and it wears off-road tires that roar louder than a hurricane when they travel over pavement. Itís the truck that always led the conga line to the lake every summer because it was mostly filled with cheap beer and ice. Itís all Alan Jackson songs, T-shirts without sleeves, cutoff Lee jeans, a cooler held together with duct tape, and inner-tubing on the Chattahoochee.

A Blazer has live axles front and rear, four-wheel drive, a full frame, and a small-block V-8 with a lumpy idle; and when it rains, thatís when nature itself hoses out the interior.

Then thereís this. A 2019 crossover with a unibody structure and transverse mounted engine that Chevy calls ďBlazer.Ē We knew the Blazer. We loved the Blazer. And this, GM, is no Blazer.

Get me some Doritos and a six-pack. Coors? Budweiser? Hammís? Who cares? Iím going to go float on the raft for a couple of hours and try to get past this."

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: 2019 Chevy Blazer Revealed As A Sporty Crossover    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 12:45
longhorn wrote:

From C&D, ( love their sarcasm or truth in writing,learn a few lessons suck up Motor Trend).

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/2019-chevrolet-blazer-the-blazer-is-back-official-photos-and-info

"For those of us who have achieved a certain age (if not the maturity that generally comes with it), we know what a Chevrolet Blazer is. Itís the K5: a cut-down full-size pickup with a flimsy removable fiberglass shell covering the bed and cab. Itís kind of ratty because itís owned by a teenager, itís been jacked up a mile in the air, and it wears off-road tires that roar louder than a hurricane when they travel over pavement. Itís the truck that always led the conga line to the lake every summer because it was mostly filled with cheap beer and ice. Itís all Alan Jackson songs, T-shirts without sleeves, cutoff Lee jeans, a cooler held together with duct tape, and inner-tubing on the Chattahoochee.

A Blazer has live axles front and rear, four-wheel drive, a full frame, and a small-block V-8 with a lumpy idle; and when it rains, thatís when nature itself hoses out the interior.

Then thereís this. A 2019 crossover with a unibody structure and transverse mounted engine that Chevy calls ďBlazer.Ē We knew the Blazer. We loved the Blazer. And this, GM, is no Blazer.

Get me some Doritos and a six-pack. Coors? Budweiser? Hammís? Who cares? Iím going to go float on the raft for a couple of hours and try to get past this."

Car and Driver is reading my thoughts

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: 2019 Chevy Blazer Revealed As A Sporty Crossover    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 12:53
Merely a Poseur!
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: 2019 Chevy Blazer Revealed As A Sporty Crossover    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 14:37
Looks as if they set the stance at -3 degrees.
99SI
Profile for 99SI
Re: 2019 Chevy Blazer Revealed As A Sporty Crossover    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 15:00
Good lord. Please don't call that thing a blazer. A 2 door Yukon would be a better candidate for that name. 1st the Eclipse now this...
bnilhome
Profile for bnilhome
Re: 2019 Chevy Blazer Revealed As A Sporty Crossover    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 15:09
smArt wrote:

I agree...when I saw the Blazer photos yesterday it looked like it wqs copying the RDX from the side.

THX17201
Profile for THX17201
Re: 2019 Chevy Blazer Revealed As A Sporty Crossover    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 15:15
smArt wrote:

And Acura thinks it's a Mazda.

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: 2019 Chevy Blazer Revealed As A Sporty Crossover    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 15:26
THX17201 wrote:
smArt wrote:

Good one!

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: 2019 Chevy Blazer Revealed As A Sporty Crossover    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 15:30
JeffX wrote:
longhorn wrote:

Car and Driver is reading my thoughts

You can't eat Doritos when floating in an inner tube.

OTOH, if you're floating in the middle of the lake, with a bunch of your buddies around, you can sure have a lot of chilled beer around.

Just make sure the bags where you keep the beer at well tied down. You don't want those babies to sink 100 feet.

I guess Jeff was rich. We couldn't afford no Big Shot Blazers when I was in High School.

smArt
Profile for smArt
Re: 2019 Chevy Blazer Revealed As A Sporty Crossover    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 21:06
THX17201 wrote:
smArt wrote:

But looks like an Acura.

HondaDad
Profile for HondaDad
Re: 2019 Chevy Blazer Revealed As A Sporty Crossover    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 22:19
smArt wrote:
THX17201 wrote:
smArt wrote:

But looks like an Acura.

Looks like an Acura but with a much more powerful engine with the optional 305 horsepower 3.6-liter V6. It's sad that Acura only offer precision crafted economy engines (at least to start).

THX17201
Profile for THX17201
Re: 2019 Chevy Blazer Revealed As A Sporty Crossover    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-23-2018 02:36
smArt wrote:
THX17201 wrote:
smArt wrote:

But looks like an Acura.

Uhh no. The RDX looks like a CX-5.

smArt
Profile for smArt
Re: 2019 Chevy Blazer Revealed As A Sporty Crossover    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-23-2018 04:19
THX17201 wrote:
smArt wrote:
THX17201 wrote:
smArt wrote:

But looks like an Acura.

Uhh no. The RDX looks like a CX-5.

Not as much as it looks like an MDX. lol. Opinions, opinions...

CanTeX
Profile for CanTeX
Re: 2019 Chevy Blazer Revealed As A Sporty Crossover    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-23-2018 08:52
JeffX wrote:
longhorn wrote:

As a traditionalist (and a one time K-5 Blazer owner) I think it's a huge mistake to use the Blazer name on this thing. I don't really care for the styling in the first place - it looks like something that could've come out of the Nissan studios, and I don't mean that as a compliment. But the Blazer should be a RUGGED TRUCK with more traditional styling elements. That's probably expecting far too much from GM's studio, though. I could be wrong, but I expect the Bronco to be a much better take.

Itís amazing how some folks have good long-term memory and some donít. Look how well the Pacifica is doing - people selectively donít remember the original pig of a Pacifica.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: 2019 Chevy Blazer Revealed As A Sporty Crossover    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-23-2018 11:38
People connect the S10 Blazer to the name probably, I know I do. Where I am at, you'll never see a big original Blazer on the road ever, but you'll see the latest one all the time.
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: 2019 Chevy Blazer Revealed As A Sporty Crossover    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-23-2018 12:36
DCR wrote:
People connect the S10 Blazer to the name probably, I know I do. Where I am at, you'll never see a big original Blazer on the road ever, but you'll see the latest one all the time.

K5

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_CAds=&_ex_kw=&_fpos=&_fspt=1&_mPrRngCbx=1&_nkw=k5%20blazer&_sacat=&_sadis=&_sop=12&_udhi=&_udlo=&rmvSB=true

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: 2019 Chevy Blazer Revealed As A Sporty Crossover    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-23-2018 12:54
TonyEX wrote:
DCR wrote:

K5

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_CAds=&_ex_kw=&_fpos=&_fspt=1&_mPrRngCbx=1&_nkw=k5%20blazer&_sacat=&_sadis=&_sop=12&_udhi=&_udlo=&rmvSB=true

Damn I think we got that blazer for about $6k used and then fixed it up. the exhaust was leaking, the head gasket was weeping, the carb was messed up. $1200 later we had a brand new full stainless dual exhaust installed, the head gasket was repaired, and that 350 purred like a damned kitten. I never dreamed it could have appreciated over the years.

vh2k
Profile for vh2k
Re: 2019 Chevy Blazer Revealed As A Sporty Crossover    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-26-2018 09:01
Of course, GM isn't going to make a new midsize body-on-frame SUV in 2018.

I agree with most of the reviews that it looks great (like a Camaro CUV) and the profile does indeed resemble the new RDX.

With two powertrains, lots of features, great looks, and Chevy's dealer network, it should do very well.

Nothing wrong with calling this thing a Blazer; it's a great name and GM owns the trademark.

Thread Page - [1] 2
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0