[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
More.......................
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
American Honda Sets New June Sales Records on Strength of Light Trucks
Honda reveals refreshed 2019 HR-V and Pilot
Acura TLX GT wins class and places 3rd overall at 2018 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb
Spied on the Street! 2019 Pilot and Pilot PHEV mule
All-New 2019 Honda Insight Brings Style, Sophistication and 55 mpg City Rating
It's Official: Honda to supply Red Bull Racing in Formula One from 2019
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Zak Brown: 2018 McLaren ‘weaker than last year’s car’
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2019 Supra may get 4cyl
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Munro says Model 3 has >30% gross margin
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda new teaser ad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
ILX --> Re: 2019 ILX
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: MotoGP - Assen TT (you should watch)
Join Discussion......
Insight --> Re: My next car?
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: New RDX vs NX Infomercial
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Such a damn nice car
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Type-R Fascia Changes spotted at Nurburgring
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Marauding Mirais
Join Discussion......
Hot Deals --> Great lightning deal on Anker ROAV C1 Pro (2k resolution) dashcam - $75
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2017 Civic Si 360whp One Take
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Insight > > Re: 3rd Generation Honda Insight Reviews

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
chhan02
Profile for chhan02
3rd Generation Honda Insight Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-20-2018 15:46
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Redline Reviews:

Alex on Autos:

chhan02
Profile for chhan02
Re: 3rd Generation Honda Insight Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-20-2018 16:01
Pricing:
LX - $22,830
EX - $24,060
Touring - $28,090

MPG:
LX/EX - 55/49/52
Touring - 51/45/48

The Touring drops 4 MPG across the board (why so much?!). Would a Accord EX Hybrid ($28,890) be a better buy at $28k? You get more space, rear HVAC vents, better interior, etc.

atomiclightbulb
Profile for atomiclightbulb
Re: 3rd Generation Honda Insight Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 19:35
My gut feeling is that this Insight will finally be a hit with customers. Unlike past Insights and Civic Hybrids, this 3G Insight has no compromises whatsoever in terms of its utility.

The styling is great inside and out, performance is more than good enough, fuel economy very competitive, and overall features excellent.

chhan02 wrote:
Pricing:
LX - $22,830
EX - $24,060
Touring - $28,090

MPG:
LX/EX - 55/49/52
Touring - 51/45/48

The Touring drops 4 MPG across the board (why so much?!). Would a Accord EX Hybrid ($28,890) be a better buy at $28k? You get more space, rear HVAC vents, better interior, etc.

The Touring has 17" wheels and different OEM tires. LX and EX have 16" wheels and Michelin Eco tires of some kind. The difference in wheel weight and tire rolling resistance are probably most of the advantage in MPG for LX/EX over Touring.

I think that the choice between Accord Hybrid and Insight will largely come down to size. Although the Accord is a bit nicer in terms of amenities and refinement, many customers don't want a car as big as the Accord.

The Insight also looks nicer and has better proportions than the Accord IMO, despite being similar in overall shape.

TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: 3rd Generation Honda Insight Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 08:06

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: 3rd Generation Honda Insight Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 09:20
I cannot believe I just watched that.

The Insect is now a very good car, horrid L15 NVH notwithstanding.

And it's positively beautiful, compared to a Pious. Or a Civic...

garoto
Profile for garoto
Re: 3rd Generation Honda Insight Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-23-2018 16:09
The Prius interior looks like a premium Shopping mall’s bathroom.
fishchan
Profile for fishchan
Re: 3rd Generation Honda Insight Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-23-2018 23:41
As i understand for the Honda hybrids I tested, the noise button makes a spaceship / radio control car noise when the car is full EV so people can hear it coming. It sounds almost like the radio control car I use to play.

The 'fake engine noise' he said is probably real engine noise... in the video he turn it off and it still sounds the same...

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: 3rd Generation Honda Insight Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-24-2018 06:50
I thought it was slightly quieter with it off.

If you're gonna use piped muzak, at least make it an F20C or a C32B or something.

fishchan
Profile for fishchan
Re: 3rd Generation Honda Insight Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-24-2018 20:42
Nick GravesX wrote:

If you're gonna use piped muzak, at least make it an F20C or a C32B or something.

That's what I'm saying, the 'pipe muzak' is not the engine but the electric toy car noise. It is something loud enough to hear it in EV mode so people don't run out in front of you but also can be heard of the engine is running from inside the car

Maybe Jeff can tell us.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: 3rd Generation Honda Insight Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-24-2018 23:06
fishchan wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:

That's what I'm saying, the 'pipe muzak' is not the engine but the electric toy car noise. It is something loud enough to hear it in EV mode so people don't run out in front of you but also can be heard of the engine is running from inside the car

Maybe Jeff can tell us.

can somebody give me a timestamp on this video so I can see what we're talking about?

Harvey Jr
Profile for Harvey Jr
Re: 3rd Generation Honda Insight Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-25-2018 00:41
JeffX wrote:
can somebody give me a timestamp on this video so I can see what we're talking about?

13:00 in the Redline Review video.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: 3rd Generation Honda Insight Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-26-2018 17:48
Harvey Jr wrote:
JeffX wrote:

13:00 in the Redline Review video.

So there is Active Noise Control AND Active Sound Control.
Active Noise Control is there to deal primarily with low frequency sounds due to road noise.

The Active Sound Control is designed to help shape the sound of the engine. Here's what Honda says about ANC and ASC in the press kit:

Active Noise Control (ANC) and Active Sound Control (ASC)
Key contributors to Insight’s quiet, refined interior are Active Noise Control (ANC) and Active Sound Control (ASC). The two systems are comprised of dual overhead microphones, an ANC/ASC electronic processor, and the audio system’s speakers. ASC/ANC operates whenever Insight is running, even if the audio system is turned off.

ANC is designed to reduce low frequency sound in the cabin caused mainly by the roughness of the road surface. The overhead microphones pick up sound waves and send them to the ANC/ASC processor, which then creates and sends a precisely timed “reverse phase” audio signal to a special amplifier. In turn, the amplifier drives the speakers to cancel the original noise signal.

ASC is a related technology designed to improve the engine sound quality by making the sound pressure level more linear as the engine revs increase. Typically, engine noise doesn’t increase in a linear way with rising revs; instead there can be many resonances that create peaks and valleys in the sound pressure level and an uneven sound. From idle to redline, ASC helps smooth out the engine sound by reforming the sound signal as needed and sending it to the speakers. In SPORT mode, ASC provides Insight with a more dynamic engine sound profile.

The whirring sound he's talking about isn't very noticeable to me while driving the car. I would be surprised if it's a generated sound - unless I'm not understanding what he's talking about, to me it sounds similar to the typical faint electric motor/gear whirring you'd normally hear in EV mode.

BUT, while we're hear discussing the sounds of the Insight, if you're standing in front of the car at low speeds it generates a weird sound that's noticeable but quite faint. It's like a warbling electronic sound, for lack of a better description.

you can sort of hear it in this video:

Oddly enough, to me it sounded sort of like a short loop of the beginning of 2 Chainz' Good Drank song.

fishchan
Profile for fishchan
Re: 3rd Generation Honda Insight Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-26-2018 20:26
JeffX wrote:
So there is Active Noise Control AND Active Sound Control.
Active Noise Control is there to deal primarily with low frequency sounds due to road noise.

The Active Sound Control is designed to help shape the sound of the engine. Here's what Honda says about ANC and ASC in the press kit:

The whirring sound he's talking about isn't very noticeable to me while driving the car. I would be surprised if it's a generated sound - unless I'm not understanding what he's talking about, to me it sounds similar to the typical faint electric motor/gear whirring you'd normally hear in EV mode.

BUT, while we're hear discussing the sounds of the Insight, if you're standing in front of the car at low speeds it generates a weird sound that's noticeable but quite faint. It's like a warbling electronic sound, for lack of a better description.

So he is talking about two different things at once. I know on the other Honda hybrids you can turn that electronic generated sound off for 'stealth mode' and the car is complete silent after that. I assume it will be similar. Of course, the Insight may be different again.

TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: 3rd Generation Honda Insight Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-27-2018 20:57

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0