[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
More.......................
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
American Honda Sets New June Sales Records on Strength of Light Trucks
Honda reveals refreshed 2019 HR-V and Pilot
Acura TLX GT wins class and places 3rd overall at 2018 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb
Spied on the Street! 2019 Pilot and Pilot PHEV mule
All-New 2019 Honda Insight Brings Style, Sophistication and 55 mpg City Rating
It's Official: Honda to supply Red Bull Racing in Formula One from 2019
RDX --> Re: I'm in a 2019 RDX Advance this week. Any specific questions while I have it?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Trying to decide on color
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda new teaser ad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2019 Supra may get 4cyl
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Zak Brown: 2018 McLaren Ďweaker than last yearís carí
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Munro says Model 3 has >30% gross margin
Join Discussion......
ILX --> Re: 2019 ILX
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: MotoGP - Assen TT (you should watch)
Join Discussion......
Insight --> Re: My next car?
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: New RDX vs NX Infomercial
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Such a damn nice car
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Type-R Fascia Changes spotted at Nurburgring
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Marauding Mirais
Join Discussion......
Hot Deals --> Great lightning deal on Anker ROAV C1 Pro (2k resolution) dashcam - $75
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Next gen RLX and ILX

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author
  Post New Thread
Civicb18
Profile for Civicb18
Next gen RLX and ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-20-2018 05:53
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Both will remain on the market until the TLX, MDX recieve their FMCís as of course, they donít make much money at all for Acura.
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Next gen RLX and ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-20-2018 06:54
Thanks for the info.

Absolutely no surprises there, then...

Midi_Amp
Profile for Midi_Amp
Re: Next gen RLX and ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-20-2018 08:25
It's far too obvious the ILX is getting cut. When (I can say that with utmost certainty) the CDX comes, any entry level sedan just won't work, unless it's a hatchback.

The ILX after refresh ticks all the right box, the K24+dual clutch, even though I have never driven one, sounds great on paper. Too bad all good will of the car got ruined by its pre MMC Honda+ days. I really hope the ILX got one last chance... But I don't know how to approach the next gen. I could say, pretty up the Civic Type R and call it a day, but that is repeating the Honda+ problem. I'm really at lost at imagining what the next ILX should be that sells.

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Next gen RLX and ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-20-2018 08:39
With world class chassis and drive trains, they just need to produce a gussied up good looking vehicle with an up to date interior. Introduce the new model WITH a SH-AWD CTR engined performance version from the get go, and watch the motoring scribes wax lyrical about the whole range. Do that for a few years, including improving the quality of the other models, wait for Red Bull Honda to win a couple of championships and wait and see that sales won't be to bad.......
THX17201
Profile for THX17201
Re: Next gen RLX and ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-20-2018 09:05
sadlerau wrote:
With world class chassis and drive trains, they just need to produce a gussied up good looking vehicle with an up to date interior. Introduce the new model WITH a SH-AWD CTR engined performance version from the get go, and watch the motoring scribes wax lyrical about the whole range. Do that for a few years, including improving the quality of the other models, wait for Red Bull Honda to win a couple of championships and wait and see that sales won't be to bad.......

That makes too much sense for Acura to do it!

RSX
Profile for RSX
Re: Next gen RLX and ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-20-2018 10:06
Civicb18 wrote:
Both will remain on the market until the TLX, MDX recieve their FMCís as of course, they donít make much money at all for Acura.

Isn't the ILX already done? It's an Insight with an Si motor, grill and badges.

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Next gen RLX and ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-20-2018 10:24
Honestly, if Honda wants to throw a Hail Mary, the best thing they can do with "limited resources" is make a Acura Civic Type-R, complete with non-childish exterior and luxurious interior. That would be a hell of a car to offer to enthusiasts, slotting between the S3 and RS3. Which means that such a car will never happen.

In reality, it might make sense for Honda to just go to two sedans (if not one)... one sized between the 3 and 5 series and one sized between the 5 and 7 series.

RMTRADER
Profile for RMTRADER
Re: Next gen RLX and ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-20-2018 10:42
CarPhreakD wrote:
Honestly, if Honda wants to throw a Hail Mary, the best thing they can do with "limited resources" is make a Acura Civic Type-R, complete with non-childish exterior and luxurious interior. That would be a hell of a car to offer to enthusiasts, slotting between the S3 and RS3. Which means that such a car will never happen.

In reality, it might make sense for Honda to just go to two sedans (if not one)... one sized between the 3 and 5 series and one sized between the 5 and 7 series.

'Between' the S3 and RS3? Unless the Acura would have AWD, retrained styling, and offer a DCT, there is no way it would be 'between' those two cars.

Civicb18
Profile for Civicb18
Re: Next gen RLX and ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-20-2018 11:30
Midi_Amp wrote:
It's far too obvious the ILX is getting cut. When (I can say that with utmost certainty) the CDX comes, any entry level sedan just won't work, unless it's a hatchback.

The ILX after refresh ticks all the right box, the K24+dual clutch, even though I have never driven one, sounds great on paper. Too bad all good will of the car got ruined by its pre MMC Honda+ days. I really hope the ILX got one last chance... But I don't know how to approach the next gen. I could say, pretty up the Civic Type R and call it a day, but that is repeating the Honda+ problem. I'm really at lost at imagining what the next ILX should be that sells.

The ILX will more than likely recieve another refresh, then eventually see a FMC. Honda/Acura stated they wanted a balanced portfolio.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Next gen RLX and ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-20-2018 11:39
sadlerau wrote:

ILX S4
ILX R4

No other trim models.

Or maybe just bring back to correct name

Integra GSR-4
Integra R-4

The Integra name never got sullied by bad marketing and product planning.

longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: Next gen RLX and ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-20-2018 13:09
It was reported here the ILX this year gets the new front end. So another MMC then. And no, I do not thing this vehicle will be replaced.

I expect Acura to follow the Caddy model and go back to tweeners instead of aping the Euro 3 in sizes. That means two sedans.

longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: Next gen RLX and ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-20-2018 13:14
The often criticized ZDX concept was on the wrong platform. What if Acura brings it back as a small truly sporty CUV? A merging of the ILX and CDX with fastback D pillar.
lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: Next gen RLX and ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-20-2018 16:27
ILX should be dropped, 4cyl TLX is low end enough especially if again they will just be basing the TLX on another FWD trans family sedan platform.

In place of the ILX should be a much more affordable Audi tt competitor that they can call the Integra but a bit higher end then what the integra used to be. The interior and performance should be unheard of for its sub TLX price and it should be given a higher tuned version of the Type R powertrain with Shawd in top trim. Styling should look nothing like a Civic and be clear it is gunning for a Audi tt inside(resemble more the original Audi tt) and out.

As for the RLX they absolutely can not put it on another FWD trans platform, how many failures do they need until they finally learn it needs its own premium RWD platform. No fake wood trim either. It needs to be a home run to make up for the current disaster and they can not call it a RLX anymore, the name is too tarnished, same with the ILX.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Next gen RLX and ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-20-2018 17:08
And "ILX" built on the new Civic platform would be rather large on the inside. The new Civic is spacious.

They could easily add a couple of inches of length to the Civic, call it an Integra, add better materials, SH-AWD, 2.0t, 8DCT, adjustable suspension, make the Tech package standard and price it at $34K as the base S-4 (GSR4) model. Then offer the Type R version with even more power, more sport tuned suspension, price it at $39K and call it R4. If they are worried about sounding too Audi, they could go back to their roots and call them the Integra GS4 and GSR4.

The TLX is too small. It needs a larger backseat. Whether the 2.0t is sufficient, I don't know, but for sure the K24 should go away. It ought to come with at least 250bhp to start with and offer SH-AWD in all models. The V6 should also be offered. Make the Tech package standard on all of them. Start them at $42K up to $52K. Dump the doggone 9AT.

The RLX... I personally they think they ought to drop the RoLeX name and bring back the Legend. Just go for it. V6t would be fine, hybrids too, just so long as the car is bigger than the TLX and more luxurious. Start at $55K and move it up to $75K.

AHM... needs to find the balls it had back in '85 when it went for broke and introduced a "20,000 dollar Japanese Car"...

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Next gen RLX and ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-20-2018 17:32
TonyEX wrote:
And "ILX" built on the new Civic platform would be rather large on the inside. The new Civic is spacious.

They could easily add a couple of inches of length to the Civic, call it an Integra, add better materials, SH-AWD, 2.0t, 8DCT, adjustable suspension, make the Tech package standard and price it at $34K as the base S-4 (GSR4) model. Then offer the Type R version with even more power, more sport tuned suspension, price it at $39K and call it R4. If they are worried about sounding too Audi, they could go back to their roots and call them the Integra GS4 and GSR4.

The TLX is too small. It needs a larger backseat. Whether the 2.0t is sufficient, I don't know, but for sure the K24 should go away. It ought to come with at least 250bhp to start with and offer SH-AWD in all models. The V6 should also be offered. Make the Tech package standard on all of them. Start them at $42K up to $52K. Dump the doggone 9AT.

The RLX... I personally they think they ought to drop the RoLeX name and bring back the Legend. Just go for it. V6t would be fine, hybrids too, just so long as the car is bigger than the TLX and more luxurious. Start at $55K and move it up to $75K.

AHM... needs to find the balls it had back in '85 when it went for broke and introduced a "20,000 dollar Japanese Car"...

a TLX with a (280hp) 2.0T and SH-AWD would be way more than sufficient. It's clearly one of the best 2.0Ts in the world. A base model could get along fine with the K24 and 8DCT but I think the K24 is pretty much dead and replaced by the 1.5T. I doubt they'd go to the 1.5T unless maybe it was a higher spec version the one in the 2018 accord sport 6MT which actually sounds and feels pretty nice (with VTEC, natch), and it was confined to the bottom trim level and offered with 8DCT. CVT is a dealbreaker.

I think it would be smarter to make the 2.0T the entry point for the TLX, though, and save that "spicier" 1.5T/8DCT for the entry point for the next-gen ILX. TLX would be 2.0T or 3.0T, with 10AT and SH-AWD available on both. MAJOR Bonus points if they can get 6MT with 2.0T and SH-AWD. ILX (if there's going to be one) should get 1.5T and 2.0T options and SH-AWD as well.

Also, the current TLX is "small" because Acura designed it that way (remember that it was designed to cover the TSX and TL segments). And they also fitted the interior with more luxurious chairs which eats up some of the space. But it was based on the Accord architecture so they easily could've made it larger inside if that was a design requirement.

qingcong
Profile for qingcong
Re: Next gen RLX and ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-20-2018 18:09
JeffX wrote:

a TLX with a (280hp) 2.0T and SH-AWD would be way more than sufficient. It's clearly one of the best 2.0Ts in the world. A base model could get along fine with the K24 and 8DCT but I think the K24 is pretty much dead and replaced by the 1.5T. I doubt they'd go to the 1.5T unless maybe it was a higher spec version the one in the 2018 accord sport 6MT which actually sounds and feels pretty nice (with VTEC, natch), and it was confined to the bottom trim level and offered with 8DCT. CVT is a dealbreaker.

I think it would be smarter to make the 2.0T the entry point for the TLX, though, and save that "spicier" 1.5T/8DCT for the entry point for the next-gen ILX. TLX would be 2.0T or 3.0T, with 10AT and SH-AWD available on both. MAJOR Bonus points if they can get 6MT with 2.0T and SH-AWD. ILX (if there's going to be one) should get 1.5T and 2.0T options and SH-AWD as well.

Also, the current TLX is "small" because Acura designed it that way (remember that it was designed to cover the TSX and TL segments). And they also fitted the interior with more luxurious chairs which eats up some of the space. But it was based on the Accord architecture so they easily could've made it larger inside if that was a design requirement.

I hope to never see the 1.5T in an Acura product. It's the Honda Fit engine, cmon man.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Next gen RLX and ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-20-2018 21:37
qingcong wrote:
JeffX wrote:

I hope to never see the 1.5T in an Acura product. It's the Honda Fit engine, cmon man.

I could see the Si 1.5T making a good new Integra but I'd want the 8DCT and the car to be as compact as possible. As in a step back from the current Civic. And I'd prefer an old-school Honda FWD design and not SH-AWD because the cars and CUV's with SH-AWD I've driven have had some what of a dead stick feel about them. Our Fit is a blast to drive in comparison.

This seems odd but I've been looking at the original ILX design (they sell for a song now even with low miles) and it was when I recently washed and dried our MDX that I realized the ILX profile styling is morphed down from the 3G MDX what with the kick up of the side crease over the rear wheel arches. I know the ILX predated the 3G MDX. Anyway, my advice for a 2G ILX is don't make it look like a truck. More like a modern 3G Integra sedan / 5G Civic EX sedan.

I've also been finding the '16-'18 ILX tempting because of the drivetrain even though I find the car ugly. Too many cooks in the kitchen.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Next gen RLX and ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-20-2018 22:24
qingcong wrote:
JeffX wrote:

I would have agreed with you not too long ago but after driving the Accord 1.5T Sport 6MT a few weeks ago, I do think they can make it work for an entry model Acura, such as an ILX or CDX. Especially if they pair it with the appropriate transmission. Which means no CVT. That engine with 6MT or 8DCT and appropriate NVH measures (at least as good as the Accord Sport) would be fine, IMO.

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Next gen RLX and ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-20-2018 22:42
Grace141 wrote:

I could see the Si 1.5T making a good new Integra but I'd want the 8DCT and the car to be as compact as possible. As in a step back from the current Civic. And I'd prefer an old-school Honda FWD design and not SH-AWD because the cars and CUV's with SH-AWD I've driven have had some what of a dead stick feel about them. Our Fit is a blast to drive in comparison.

They could keep the current Civic chassis and just pare down the overhangs to the absolute minimum they can get away with? I wonder how much shorter overall it would end up being?

As for SH-AWD, agreed it doesn't need to be on the base models, just be available for those that want it. But a properly set-up SH-AWD version, with the right, sporty set up could be a blast.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Next gen RLX and ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 01:12
TonyEX wrote:

I don't think an ILX needs to be bigger than a Civic. One of the problems cars are facing is that they have gotten too big. This might be part of what drives people into SUV's. I know it is the smallest one, but it is actually pretty incredible to see how much shorter than an Accord our HR-V is...

I think the Civic is about right size wise. Similar enough to A class, A3, 1 series, etc but much more spacious on the inside.

Put a less fussy body on it, tighten it down 10-15%, give it SH-AWD with the 272 HP version of the 2.0T in Type-S form and it would be right between something like an A3 and an S3. I am not 100% certain that I would want a 1.5T in an Acura, but honestly, I think if they put VTEC on both sides, put it on some good mounts and maybe made some other detail changes in the interest of NVH and a better powerband, it would probably fully competitive with the 1.8T's out there. And it would give them a ~200HP FWD car to compete at the lower end that focused more on things like efficiency. Too small to cannibalize Accord sales, too expensive to canibalize base Civic sales, and not sporty enough to cannibalize Si or Type-R sales (maybe some Si sales).

Then, move up to the Type-S with a 270-300HP 2.0T, SH-AWD, adaptable chassis tuning and REAL summer tires. It would sit about where the base TLX should sit power wise, and be smaller to avoid competing with it.

The TLX looks very much to be transverse FWD based, which IMO is still silly in that segment, but it is what it is. I also have about no hope based on mule proportions (if it actually is the TLX chassis under there) that it will pull any of it off as well as Audi or Volvo in terms of proportion. However, the above would at least provide some differentiation without making the ILX a turd.

Civicb18
Profile for Civicb18
Re: Next gen RLX and ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 05:31
My next gen ILX wishlist:

- 210hp 1.5t/8DCT FWD (think Audi A3 1.8t TSI FWD)
- 252hp 2.0t/10AT/SH-AWD (think Audi A3 2.0t Quattro)
- 310hp 2.0t/10AT/SH-AWD Type-S (think Audi S3 Quattro)
- Material quality and presentation needs to at least match the competition.
- Civic Type R chassis/suspension components for the Type-S
- An exhaust note for the Type-S that farts between shifts.
- Active dampers for Type-S
- Optional A-Spec trim for the midlevel 2.0t/SH-AWD
- 1.5t base and Tech
- 2.0t/SH-AWD Tech, A-Spec and Advance
- 2.0t/SH-AWD Type-S Advance only
- ELS 3D on A-Spec, Advance and Type-S
- HUD for A-Spec, Advance and Type-S
- Jewel Eyes standard
- Full LED lighting on 2.0t/SH-AWD and above

CarmB
Profile for CarmB
Re: Next gen RLX and ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 06:11
The smartest approach would be to launch a FMC of the TLX and then spin off the next ILX and RLX using that TLX platform.

Acura has been beaten up mercilessly for the longest time because it has used platforms first developed for Honda-branded models as the foundation for its Acura offerings.

If Iím not mistaken - could well be that I am on this - the new RDX is the first time in the brandís history that a platform has been developed specifically to be used in an Acura-branded offering. Seems to me that Acura could liberate itself from all the whining about Honda platforms underpinning Acura models by simply not doing it any more. Two unique-to-Acura platforms is all it would take (I donít count the NSX because itís a Honda product in all the non-Acura markets).

An SUV platform and a sedan/coupe platform yielding the RDX, the MDX, a sub-RDX Ute, the TLX, ILX, and RLX.

Economies of scale would be such that parent Honda could justify such an approach, even if Acura didnít expand into other markets.

My guess is that this is what Acura is doing and if so, personally, I think itís going to work considering what a great start this new approach is off to with the well-reviewed new RDX.

KaySee
Profile for KaySee
Re: Next gen RLX and ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 11:02
JeffX wrote:
qingcong wrote:
JeffX wrote:

I would have agreed with you not too long ago but after driving the Accord 1.5T Sport 6MT a few weeks ago, I do think they can make it work for an entry model Acura, such as an ILX or CDX. Especially if they pair it with the appropriate transmission. Which means no CVT. That engine with 6MT or 8DCT and appropriate NVH measures (at least as good as the Accord Sport) would be fine, IMO.

This is very interesting to me still. Jeff, have you driven your kids Si since you tried the Accord? I think that is pretty interesting that the changes to the motor have made you think better of the powertrain than your initial impressions. I wonder if there are more changes than just the VTEC? Maybe other refinements have led you to enjoy the engine more. But I figure you would be able to pinpoint the specific aspects more once you drive the Si again. Unless you have already. Maybe VTEC alone is that special sauce lol, I'll have to try the Accord.

As for the Acuras, I'm not hung up on what wheels are doing the driving as much as I am on the driving experience and overall performance. I'd still take the first gen TSX over the competition of that time when it came out. Same with the 2008 TL Type S as well. Both FWD, but both were made well, looked nice and were really great to drive. I share many sentiments for the ideal configurations people have mentioned here. I feel all that work Honda did on the Type R could benefit the sporting objectives of the Acura brand.

Honda makes some of the best manual transmissions in the world. Fewer brands are running stick shifts anymore understandably. So it is an opportunity for Acura to show they are serious about driver enjoyment and engagement if they offered a manual option on an ILX Type-S variant. I doubt they would do it for the TLX. But hell, I'd take that too! Go ahead and make an auto as well, but having a manual would put me in the seat for sure. Even if the manual doesn't sell well it can be viewed as marketing for the brand. Take some money out of the marketing budget and put it toward getting manuals in to cars! They already have one and they already put it in the Accord so why not? SHAWD or FWD is fine. The CTR trounces AWD competition so I know Acura can make world class FWD cars if need be. This is my preference, but I enjoy two wheel drive cars more than AWD generally. So either RWD or FWD. For me it is just because how nimble and tossable they feel compared to their AWD counterparts. I know that is not a universal thing and AWD can have many different types of tunes(Focus RS Drift mode for example). That has just been from my experience. I think an SHAWD ILX S with 280-300+hp and 6mt would be amazing. I'd take it with FWD as well and make it a hatch! (So many dreams)

Civicb18 or anyone else, any news on potential for manuals to be offered?

Midi_Amp
Profile for Midi_Amp
Re: Next gen RLX and ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 11:22
Civicb18 wrote:
My next gen ILX wishlist:

- 210hp 1.5t/8DCT FWD (think Audi A3 1.8t TSI FWD)
- 252hp 2.0t/10AT/SH-AWD (think Audi A3 2.0t Quattro)
- 310hp 2.0t/10AT/SH-AWD Type-S (think Audi S3 Quattro)
- Material quality and presentation needs to at least match the competition.
- Civic Type R chassis/suspension components for the Type-S
- An exhaust note for the Type-S that farts between shifts.
- Active dampers for Type-S
- Optional A-Spec trim for the midlevel 2.0t/SH-AWD
- 1.5t base and Tech
- 2.0t/SH-AWD Tech, A-Spec and Advance
- 2.0t/SH-AWD Type-S Advance only
- ELS 3D on A-Spec, Advance and Type-S
- HUD for A-Spec, Advance and Type-S
- Jewel Eyes standard
- Full LED lighting on 2.0t/SH-AWD and above

No please. No 1.5T, how potent it is.

Make the 2.0T as standard engine, detune it to hell for all I care. Make it 210 HP, heck, 205 HP is fine because we know the torque figure will be dramatic. It also makes the next gen ILX tuner friendly and will fire up the aftermarket scene just like the Integra of old. Everything else I left to imagination, but no 1.5T please.

Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: Next gen RLX and ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 11:34
I donít think we will see a Civic-based ILX again.

https://carbuzz.com/features/here-s-the-problem-with-bringing-back-the-acura-integra

Acura needs to push the lineup northwards - they only have one non-SUV in the $40-$50k range and thatís the V6 TLX. Make the TLX a true luxury compact (186Ē length), cancel the ILX and they have a decent amount of room to work with size and price wise. They need two models ABOVE the TLX and not two models that bracket the TLX. And they need a lot more non-SUV options in the price range I mentioned above - the Germans have all kinds of options for people in that range. The base TLX and a CDX small SUV would be the options for current ILX owners.

I suggested in another thread bringing back the Integra 5-door hatch above the TLX (at maybe ~190Ē) and starting it above $40k with 2.0t and SHaWD standard (say $43-$53k price range for the 2.0t model). And then having the Legend above that at 195Ē or so - in the US the Legend would be 3.0t only and start above $60k. Maybe they could even have a 3-door Integra hatch that would just be a performance variant - basically a 2.0t and 3.0t that are both done up as Type-S models.

lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: Next gen RLX and ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 12:30
CarmB wrote:
The smartest approach would be to launch a FMC of the TLX and then spin off the next ILX and RLX using that TLX platform.

Acura has been beaten up mercilessly for the longest time because it has used platforms first developed for Honda-branded models as the foundation for its Acura offerings.

If Iím not mistaken - could well be that I am on this - the new RDX is the first time in the brandís history that a platform has been developed specifically to be used in an Acura-branded offering. Seems to me that Acura could liberate itself from all the whining about Honda platforms underpinning Acura models by simply not doing it any more. Two unique-to-Acura platforms is all it would take (I donít count the NSX because itís a Honda product in all the non-Acura markets).

An SUV platform and a sedan/coupe platform yielding the RDX, the MDX, a sub-RDX Ute, the TLX, ILX, and RLX.

Economies of scale would be such that parent Honda could justify such an approach, even if Acura didnít expand into other markets.

My guess is that this is what Acura is doing and if so, personally, I think itís going to work considering what a great start this new approach is off to with the well-reviewed new RDX.

That would be the dumbest approach they could do and that would be them basically doing the same thing again they have always been doing, basing Acura's on FWD trans platforms.

This is not a brand spanking new platform, it is still a compromised FWD tranv platform like they have always been doing, it is modified and Honda will be using the same platform for Honda vehicles.

The complaining has been Acura using FWD transverse platforms so you are suggesting they keep doing it and then say using the same type of compromised platform for all their products has or will somehow fix all their problems when it has or will do absolutely nothing.

Civicb18
Profile for Civicb18
Re: Next gen RLX and ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 13:53
lexusgs wrote:
CarmB wrote:

That would be the dumbest approach they could do and that would be them basically doing the same thing again they have always been doing, basing Acura's on FWD trans platforms.

This is not a brand spanking new platform, it is still a compromised FWD tranv platform like they have always been doing, it is modified and Honda will be using the same platform for Honda vehicles.

The complaining has been Acura using FWD transverse platforms so you are suggesting they keep doing it and then say using the same type of compromised platform for all their products has or will somehow fix all their problems when it has or will do absolutely nothing.

The new platform under the TLX (which is modular) is in no way related to the Accord (which is also modular). Yes, itís a transverse platform but looking at them side by side, theyíre completely different planks. Can you PLEASE stop saying the same thing in every post you make?

Civicb18
Profile for Civicb18
Re: Next gen RLX and ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 14:03
CarmB wrote:

I actually think this is the direction theyíre heading and it sounds good to me given Acura is FINALLY getting some exclusive platforms, engines and components. However, Acura needs to expanded their portfolio badly. Keep all the core models they have now and add niche models that are based off the core models. A TLX based, shorter, wider, lower CLX coupe would be ideal as well as a convertible version. The CDX, RDX and MDX could benefit from stylish, 4 door coupe based versions as BMW and Mercedes are making tons of money there. Also a sexy RLX based 4 door coupe ala Audi A7. This would more than double the current number of models available without having to spend a ton of resources.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Next gen RLX and ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 14:36
Given the collapse of big car sales, they might possibly cut to the chase and make the next RLX an A7-alike. I dunno...
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Next gen RLX and ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 16:08
Nick GravesX wrote:
Given the collapse of big car sales, they might possibly cut to the chase and make the next RLX an A7-alike. I dunno...

Penser en dehors de la boÓte... pourquoi rťsidons-nous toujours dans l'argument Acura Circular?

HMC should buy CitroŽn.

Take the Clarity.

Add deeper rear side skirts.

Four big ashtrays with front/back lighters. With room for four packs of Gauloises. One per passenger. The little kid sitting on the middle of the back seat will be too small to smoke, he'll just have to be happy with all that second hand smoke! (*)

Yellow headlights.

Those old cool swing out arms on the C pillars for the turn signals.

An audio system tuned to Charles Aznavour and Chopin's Nocturnes (preferably when played on a cold, rainy Fall Saturday evening while sitting next to the fireplace(**) ).... TrŤs mťlancolique, oui?

Put a one arm steering wheel with all the control on pods coming out on either side of the steering wheel.

Install a 2.1t with a 8DCT.

Call it Le CitroŽn Clartť.

Zut Alors!... a reliable CitroŽn!

Sell it in the EU, Morocco, Algiers, Seattle and Quebec. A Big Hit, for sure.

(*) Hey, I survived my youth! The middle of the back seat in our 2CV could be a very smokey place, you know?

(**) Chopin's Nocturnes, which I love, always remind me of a cold, rainy Fall Saturday evening when sitting by a fireplace.... They just do. Oh, with a generous dollop de cognac.

Thread Page - [1] 2
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0