[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
More.......................
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
American Honda Reports July Sales Results
Official statement from Honda concerning flooding of Celaya factory
News from the dealer side: 2019 HR-V, Fit, and Insight production impacted due to flooding in Celaya
2019 Honda HR-V updated with styling tweaks, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, and available Honda Sensing
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2009 Honda S2000 Edition 100
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: The FB Clarity FCEV group is full of shit
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> hodge·podge
Join Discussion......
Clarity --> Re: Clarity BEV
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Red Bull Racing Confirms Gasly for 2019
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Sat in an Advance - Complaints
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Cash incentives for the Canadian Accord?
Join Discussion......
Strictly Technical --> Re: CEL problems
Join Discussion......
Sales Experiences --> Re: Questions regarding: lease, then buy option
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Accord 2.0 touring or TLX V6 Tech FWD
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Alonso Quits F1
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Alaska Airlines plane hijacked
Join Discussion......
Spy Shots --> Re: Honda Passport prototype caught in Los Angeles
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > HondaJet > > Re: I started an entire forum just for this post

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
I started an entire forum just for this post    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-12-2018 19:23
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I may never get another chance to fly in the HondaJet, but today I flew in the HondaJet and sat in the copilot seat. AWESOME!!

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: I started an entire forum just for this post    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-12-2018 19:28
Lucky you!! Talk about perks..... :)
fishchan
Profile for fishchan
Re: I started an entire forum just for this post    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-12-2018 21:02
I am jealous!!
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: I started an entire forum just for this post    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-12-2018 21:06
Looks lovely! 🦋
honduh
Profile for honduh
Re: I started an entire forum just for this post    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-12-2018 21:13
Nice! You’re gonna need more garage space. Any impressions of the flight?
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: I started an entire forum just for this post    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-12-2018 22:29
How many horsepower is this bad boy packin'?
I guess they measure in terms of thrust.

I'll bet it was a blast.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: I started an entire forum just for this post    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-13-2018 05:35
Congrats, Jeff! Yo - Jet-TEC!

When will we be getting an Asimo forum..?

BG
Profile for BG
Re: I started an entire forum just for this post    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-13-2018 06:52
Flight Radar has seen a couple of these visit even our fair isle, yet to see one in the flesh though.

Is this the standard or upgraded Elite version?

longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: I started an entire forum just for this post    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-13-2018 09:32
Niiiiiiiiiiiice. So jealous.
magueto
Profile for magueto
Re: I started an entire forum just for this post    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-13-2018 10:00
Please your review of the fastest Honda ever!!!!
garoto
Profile for garoto
Re: I started an entire forum just for this post    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-13-2018 12:03
Any plans for a Honda Jet Type R?
HondaJet
Profile for HondaJet
Re: I started an entire forum just for this post    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-14-2018 05:02
JeffX wrote:
I may never get another chance to fly in the HondaJet, but today I flew in the HondaJet and sat in the copilot seat. AWESOME!!

Wow!! I envy TonyE’s new cars, but I envy you more! You deserve it Jeff. Thank you for ToV’s place online as a point of news, discussion and inspiration for us Honda fans. Someday, we dream the chance of flying in this Honda.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: I started an entire forum just for this post    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-14-2018 05:37
^Seconded.
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: I started an entire forum just for this post    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-14-2018 09:33
This opportunity was part of the 2019 Honda Insight press intro. Our drive route in the morning took us to St. Paul Downtown airport where we would eat lunch right next to the tarmac.

Honda PR chartered this particular HondaJet from a third party, and they offered demo flight loops of about 22 minutes each (total of about 30 minutes including taxiing). The HondaJet seats 4 passengers and up to 2 crew. Maximum speed is listed at 486mph, though as I recall we only got up to around 220knots (253 mph) at 7000feet.

I'm not a pilot but for such a small aircraft, the cockpit of the HondaJet looked quite impressive and ergonomic. Ingress and egress to the seats was a little tight, but once you were situated in place I found the seating to be quite comfortable. There's not a lot of extra room for movement but I never felt claustrophobic or anything. Fit and finish seemed pretty good.

I asked the pilot a few questions about the HondaJet and how he compared it to competing jets. He said he was really impressed by the low maintenance costs of the HondaJet. He said that in general, the aviation community was initially skeptical that an upstart could come in and truly deliver lower maintenance costs. This company actually has another HondaJet - that one was part of the very first batch of 12 or 13 that were built. He said that one had quite a few issues, but nothing out of the ordinary for first build runs. He said pretty much all of those issues had been addressed by now. The plane we flew was a later build - I forget the exact number but it was somewhere in the 50's. He said this one had essentially none of the issues that the early build had. One thing that we did notice was we had to pull off at first because the avionics glitched - apparently the system was getting confused by all the short flights and some of the pre-flight diagnostics weren't completing, so we had to basically stop and wait for the electronics to reboot before we took off. The Pilot told me that it seemed to be okay for a few short flights but after a number of them, he'd have to stop and reset it.

I asked him if there were any downsides to the HondaJet and he said that when you fill the fuel tanks all the way, it becomes a little too tail heavy. He solved the problem by placing 100lbs of ballast in the nose of the plane, and apparently later versions of the HondaJet have added this mass as well.

I don't know how much weight was in our plane, and unlike other small aircraft, they didn't care about how much WE weighed or where we sat (maybe my 200lbs was helpful being up front, lol), but I did notice that once he gave those GE Honda HF120s the beans, the acceleration was very impressive and we took flight in a very short span. Much quicker than you'd feel in a typical packed commercial flight. And when we took off, the rate of ascent was very impressive as well, but what really struck me was how smooth and (relatively) quiet it was.

As you can see in the one photo, it was rather cloudy on Tuesday, and the ceiling was fairly low, so we didn't get to do a lot of sightseeing of Minneapolis area. We popped through the clouds and cruised at around 7000 feet for a few minutes before dropping back down below the clouds and bringing it back in for the approach. It's interesting seeing how much movement there is relative to the runway - you can't really sense it from the passenger area but when you see the stripes of the landing strip moving around directly in front of you, it definitely gives you more perspective. Though it looked like we were moving around a bit, once we got closer to the ground it settled nicely and the landing was drama-free.

I recorded some flight video with a pair of camera phones and of course one of them was dropped and cracked the screen tuesday night, so I'm trying to figure out how to get that video off of the phone so I can edit them together. I'm waiting on an HDMI adapter to be delivered so hopefully that will work and allow me to unlock the screen in order to allow me access to download the videos.

Last edited by JeffX on 06-14-2018 09:37
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: I started an entire forum just for this post    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-15-2018 01:30
HondaJet wrote:
JeffX wrote:

Wow!! I envy TonyE’s new cars, but I envy you more! You deserve it Jeff. Thank you for ToV’s place online as a point of news, discussion and inspiration for us Honda fans. Someday, we dream the chance of flying in this Honda.

Unfortunately, associates can't get one.

It's like when I worked at Boeing.. it was a catch 22. Employees might have gotten a discount on a 787-8, but if you were a Boeing employee you couldn't afford one. At least I got to do a lot of flights, and being paid, on the C17.

Being paid while you are in the C-17 cockpit doing an E Ticket ride under a KC-10 that is refueling your plane... man, that's a gas!

Hey Jeff... did you get an inflight meal?

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: I started an entire forum just for this post    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-15-2018 01:32
JeffX wrote:
This opportunity was part of the 2019 Honda Insight press intro. Our drive route in the morning took us to St. Paul Downtown airport where we would eat lunch right next to the tarmac.

Honda PR chartered this particular HondaJet from a third party, and they offered demo flight loops of about 22 minutes each (total of about 30 minutes including taxiing). The HondaJet seats 4 passengers and up to 2 crew. Maximum speed is listed at 486mph, though as I recall we only got up to around 220knots (253 mph) at 7000feet.

I'm not a pilot but for such a small aircraft, the cockpit of the HondaJet looked quite impressive and ergonomic. Ingress and egress to the seats was a little tight, but once you were situated in place I found the seating to be quite comfortable. There's not a lot of extra room for movement but I never felt claustrophobic or anything. Fit and finish seemed pretty good.

I asked the pilot a few questions about the HondaJet and how he compared it to competing jets. He said he was really impressed by the low maintenance costs of the HondaJet. He said that in general, the aviation community was initially skeptical that an upstart could come in and truly deliver lower maintenance costs. This company actually has another HondaJet - that one was part of the very first batch of 12 or 13 that were built. He said that one had quite a few issues, but nothing out of the ordinary for first build runs. He said pretty much all of those issues had been addressed by now. The plane we flew was a later build - I forget the exact number but it was somewhere in the 50's. He said this one had essentially none of the issues that the early build had. One thing that we did notice was we had to pull off at first because the avionics glitched - apparently the system was getting confused by all the short flights and some of the pre-flight diagnostics weren't completing, so we had to basically stop and wait for the electronics to reboot before we took off. The Pilot told me that it seemed to be okay for a few short flights but after a number of them, he'd have to stop and reset it.

I asked him if there were any downsides to the HondaJet and he said that when you fill the fuel tanks all the way, it becomes a little too tail heavy. He solved the problem by placing 100lbs of ballast in the nose of the plane, and apparently later versions of the HondaJet have added this mass as well.

I don't know how much weight was in our plane, and unlike other small aircraft, they didn't care about how much WE weighed or where we sat (maybe my 200lbs was helpful being up front, lol), but I did notice that once he gave those GE Honda HF120s the beans, the acceleration was very impressive and we took flight in a very short span. Much quicker than you'd feel in a typical packed commercial flight. And when we took off, the rate of ascent was very impressive as well, but what really struck me was how smooth and (relatively) quiet it was.

As you can see in the one photo, it was rather cloudy on Tuesday, and the ceiling was fairly low, so we didn't get to do a lot of sightseeing of Minneapolis area. We popped through the clouds and cruised at around 7000 feet for a few minutes before dropping back down below the clouds and bringing it back in for the approach. It's interesting seeing how much movement there is relative to the runway - you can't really sense it from the passenger area but when you see the stripes of the landing strip moving around directly in front of you, it definitely gives you more perspective. Though it looked like we were moving around a bit, once we got closer to the ground it settled nicely and the landing was drama-free.

I recorded some flight video with a pair of camera phones and of course one of them was dropped and cracked the screen tuesday night, so I'm trying to figure out how to get that video off of the phone so I can edit them together. I'm waiting on an HDMI adapter to be delivered so hopefully that will work and allow me to unlock the screen in order to allow me access to download the videos.

That's a pretty cool experience for a car intro! Definitely still on my bucket list of planes to fly.

Just a couple of thoughts that I thought you might be interested in:

1) 220 at 7,000 sounds about right as there is a 250KT speed limit below 10,000 in the US, and sometimes 200 in and around airports depending on a lot of factors.

2) Airplanes in this class are surprisingly smaller than you would expect based on what is generally shown on TV. It always makes me chuckle to hear someone refer to an A320 or 737 as a "small" airplane. It's like "here is a Cessna 120. Now THAT is a small airplane." Small is also unfairly equated with "unsafe," which is just silly.

3) It is good to hear that Honda has been on the ball with quality issues. I expected the initial run would have a few teething issues. With the complexity of airplanes, it is unavoidable and you figure the thing is a completely new airframe, engine and avionics combo. They were bound to have some little issues. That said, they got them worked out early and have been responsive which is what most aircraft owner want. Even designs that have been around for decades have issues pop up as the fleet ages and the design matures.

As for the avionics, not sure why, but I haven't flown an airplane yet that doesn't like a good rest after a few legs. Everything from the old "steam gauge" airplanes to the most modern stuff needs a good reset. I don't specifically have any experience with the Garmin 3000 in the HondaJet, but I have a couple thousand hours in the G1000, upon which it is based, and they definitely had to be restarted every once in awhile or weird stuff would happen. That said, I LOVE Garmin stuff and they have really nailed their position as THE leader in the lower end segments. Collins and Honeywell still pretty much own the top, but HondaJet level and below, Garmin is king. It also seems like they are slowly working their way upward.

4) I had heard reports that the airplane was sensitive to rear C.G. configurations (I think it was in the Flying article I linked on here) and that is pretty typical of aft mounted engine and wing combinations. I remember having to add like 1400 lbs to the very front cargo area of an MD-80 once just to get it inside the C.G. limit so we could ferry it empty. They are typically designed to have the weight of passengers offset the heavy tail (one reason both airplanes have so much of their length and cabin ahead of the wing.

Also, typically, they probably just use FAA standard weights for the weight and balance calculations, which is what airlines do.

5) For performance, most small jets have a few things going in their favor.

First, these types of planes typically have pretty good power to weight ratios since they are designed to be flexible and operate from as many runways as possible under as many conditions as possible. Believe it or not, most airliners can be pretty sporty too when they are relatively lightly loaded, but since airlines don't make money that way, it doesn't happen often. They also don't feel like they are performing as well just due to sheer size.

That said, the HondaJet is also blessed with a relatively straight wing, which as the advantage of having a good climb profile. Swept wings are typically lower drag and more efficient at high speeds, but they don't climb as well and they don't like low speeds as much, which is why they require so many devices to make them perform well at slow speeds (flaps and slats).

6) It is cool to see that the wing mounted engines really do provide the reduced noise and vibration that Honda promised. It is also largely responsible for being able to get a lavatory in there, so that is definitely a plus.

I hope you get your footage downloaded, would love to watch it.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: I started an entire forum just for this post    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-15-2018 01:33
The Honda Jet uses the new Garmin G3000 Avionics.

Yeah, I can imagine that if you are doing lots of short hops, the Flight Computer will have to be rebooted. They are just not designed for that kind of use and might start to run out of memory because it doesn't have a chance to age (and delete) the old data in between flights.

So you have to reboot it manually.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: I started an entire forum just for this post    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-15-2018 01:35
TonyEX wrote:
The Honda Jet uses the new Garmin G3000 Avionics.

Yeah, I can imagine that if you are doing lots of short hops, the Flight Computer will have to be rebooted. They are just not designed for that kind of use and might start to run out of memory because it doesn't have a chance to age (and delete) the old data in between flights.

So you have to reboot it manually.

This?

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0