[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Spied on the Street! 2019 Pilot and Pilot PHEV mule
More.......................
All-New 2019 Honda Insight Brings Style, Sophistication and 55 mpg City Rating
It's Official: Honda to supply Red Bull Racing in Formula One from 2019
Will the next-gen TLX bring back double wishbones? Or a Plugin Hybrid model?
Acura tackles Pikes Peak with 2019 RDX, NSX, and TLX entries
Honda Partners on General Motors’ Next Gen Battery Development
Trucks Set Records as Core Products Deliver American Honda May Sales Gains
First in a Generation: All-New 2019 Acura RDX Arrives in Showrooms June 1
Classifieds: Buy & Sell --> Re: 1999 Zanardi NSX 6MT, 2008 CR S2000 for sale
Join Discussion......
MDX --> Re: Camera directed car toward oncoming traffic after windshield replacement
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Nikkei: Battery wars: Japan teams up for next-gen electric cars
Join Discussion......
Videos --> MS woman goes Dukes of Hazzard in her 9th Gen Civic EX
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2018 WC
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2019 Chevy Blazer Revealed As A Sporty Crossover
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2019 Volvo S60
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Next gen RLX and ILX
Join Discussion......
Insight --> Re: 3rd Generation Honda Insight Reviews
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Some juicy Acura info!!!
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Accord 2.0T Touring or Kia Stinger 2.0T Premium?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Autobild report: Red Bull switching to Honda
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Honda Power Equipment > > Re: Considering a Honda mower

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
JimmyEats
Profile for JimmyEats
Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2018 15:51
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I'm considering a Honda mower for my yard and wondering if there any must have or Honda-genius features to pick.

Also, if I don't buy a Honda, what's the best or are there any genius features to look for?

Dream'R
Profile for Dream'R
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2018 18:56
I can say that you will not go wrong with a Honda mower. They are reliable, well-made and have several features depending on the model from the basic push-style to commercial grade self-propelled. For my yard the basic rear bagging model works fine. I don't really see the need for self-propelled models.

I bought my first Honda mower in 1986 and used it for over 20 years without a problem. I then gave it to my son who proudly said it started on the first pull this Spring after 32 years!! Simple upkeep and oil changes are all they need.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2018 19:20
I'd suggest checking the Honda mowers out at a shop to see which of the self-propelled control designs you like if you're seeking a self-propelled mower. Also, Honda offers a deck edge guard kit for some of the models. The kit for my HRX consists of just two strips of stainless steel and four bolts but the strips seem to do their job.

Jovian8
Profile for Jovian8
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2018 22:22
Honda mowers are great but also very expensive.

I have the next best thing... a Troy-Built with 160cc Honda engine. It has front-drive so very easy to use.

Also has 2 solid axles. Many cheap mowers dont have axles -but 4 metal brackets attached to the deck that rust off and the wheels collapse.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-28-2018 06:40
I have a self-propelled Honda Izy. It is, too!

I only service it when I feel like it.

It feels as if it's built to last 20 years or more.

The blade is hard enough to shave rocks (oops!) without incurring damage/imbalance.

The heated seat buttons aren't buried in a touch screen.

It does not have LKAS or other annoying beepers.

No EPS, so the steering has genuine feel.

It's got an upstairs cam, no turbo and no DI to bugger-up the inlet valve.

How is that 'expensive?'

JimmyEats
Profile for JimmyEats
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-28-2018 08:18
Do mowers change prices throughout the seasons? Are there big sales in November, for example?
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-28-2018 08:38
I got mine discounted at the end of summer (online).

Depending on your local climate, YMMV...

Waldo
Profile for Waldo
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-28-2018 09:30
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-lawnmower/

Several articles praise this model as "the best".

trexdoc
Profile for trexdoc
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-28-2018 10:33
have a smaller lawn (1/3 acre) in South Carolina
I am done with maintenance/smell of gas powered mowers and am looking at battery powered mowers - I have an EGO blower and it's amazing - I will never go back to a corded/gasoline powered blowers

The EGO 21 in. 56-Volt Lithium-ion Cordless Battery Walk Behind Push Mower is on sale at HD for $399 - seriously considering this

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-28-2018 10:41
I have to say that with the efficient OHC design, the Hondas don't seem to smell like inferior old side-oilers.

I cannot stand strokers because of the noise and the smell.

I have a Honda Multi-tool for that reason!

None
Profile for None
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-28-2018 10:52
My Honda mower is 30 years old, still cranks on the first pull and purrs like a kitten.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-28-2018 11:17
trexdoc wrote:
I am done with maintenance/smell of gas powered mowers and am looking at battery powered mowers - I have an EGO blower and it's amazing - I will never go back to a corded/gasoline powered blowers

The EGO 21 in. 56-Volt Lithium-ion Cordless Battery Walk Behind Push Mower is on sale at HD for $399 - seriously considering this

I don't know if my Honda HRX mower will ever die but if it does I will either hire a service like the rest of my neighbors because I'm tired of mowing my own lawn, or I will inevitably end up with an electric mower because I probably won't have a choice. Hopefully by then we'll have an idea of how long those $220 5AH battery packs will live. I don't really like the idea of having to switch those out EVER over the life of the mower but the Li-Ion will eventually age out after a few years and it will no longer have enough juice to mow the lawn, so that's a guaranteed expense at some point.

Maybe when my HRX finally does die, it will be so far into the future we'll be past Li-Ion and onto a better battery tech. For now, my HRX starts on the first pull every spring. I end up running less than 5 gallons of gas through it the entire season. I change the oil every 3 years whether it needs it or not (lol). I changed the plug out last year for the first time. The "tune up kit" cost me around $15. The original plug was fine but I definitely needed a new air filter.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-28-2018 11:41
JeffX wrote:
trexdoc wrote:

I don't know if my Honda HRX mower will ever die but if it does I will either hire a service like the rest of my neighbors because I'm tired of mowing my own lawn, or I will inevitably end up with an electric mower because I probably won't have a choice. Hopefully by then we'll have an idea of how long those $220 5AH battery packs will live. I don't really like the idea of having to switch those out EVER over the life of the mower but the Li-Ion will eventually age out after a few years and it will no longer have enough juice to mow the lawn, so that's a guaranteed expense at some point.

Maybe when my HRX finally does die, it will be so far into the future we'll be past Li-Ion and onto a better battery tech. For now, my HRX starts on the first pull every spring. I end up running less than 5 gallons of gas through it the entire season. I change the oil every 3 years whether it needs it or not (lol). I changed the plug out last year for the first time. The "tune up kit" cost me around $15. The original plug was fine but I definitely needed a new air filter.

Ok, I was just looking closer at the specs here, too. With a 5AH battery pack and a quoted run time of about 45 minutes indicates to me that the motor on this EGO develops much less than 1hp . I think this mower would choke on my lawn in the summer months and on top of that after reading some of the reviews, it sounds like I would almost definitely require a 2nd battery to mow my entire lawn. There are spots where the growth gets so heavy I even have to slow down with the 6.5HP HRX.

It does seem to be nicely designed and well suited for lighter duty use though - I could see this being a great option out west.

CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-28-2018 12:15

The only complaint I often hear about Honda mowers is that they are pretty heavy...not too much of a factor on self-propelled models, but can be a drawback when having to maneuver around trees or flower beds.

Quality-wise...typically Honda, overbuilt and made to last. As the old ad copy used to say: "It's a Honda!"

I would counsel you that if you decide not to buy a Honda mower because of its high cost and weight, as least buy a non-Honda model that has a Honda engine.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-28-2018 19:46
JeffX wrote:
JeffX wrote:
trexdoc wrote:

Ok, I was just looking closer at the specs here, too. With a 5AH battery pack and a quoted run time of about 45 minutes indicates to me that the motor on this EGO develops much less than 1hp . I think this mower would choke on my lawn in the summer months and on top of that after reading some of the reviews, it sounds like I would almost definitely require a 2nd battery to mow my entire lawn. There are spots where the growth gets so heavy I even have to slow down with the 6.5HP HRX.

It does seem to be nicely designed and well suited for lighter duty use though - I could see this being a great option out west.

ROTLOL.... out west, with our HUGE yards (*) we just hire out a bunch of ethnically South of the Border legal citizen service.

I haven't mowed my HUGE (*) yard myself for years. Heck, just coring the lawn with a manual foot operated areator takes a whole day!

(*) I have an outsized yard so I get more water in my allocation from the local Nazi Water District. It's.. are you ready? Sit down, don't laugh.... 2400 sq feet. Including the shrubs and trees.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-28-2018 20:04
Nick GravesX wrote:

The blade is hard enough to shave rocks (oops!) without incurring damage/imbalance.

How is that 'expensive?'

Yeah... but being English, the blades rotate the wrong way.

Silver2k2Si
Profile for Silver2k2Si
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-28-2018 20:05
I am on my second Honda lawn mower in 13 years. The first one I decided to replace when it was 8 years old because I was getting ready to deploy and my wife always had trouble figuring out how to make it work (it was the older HRR model with the 3-speed transmission for the self-propel and it had a manual choke with a throttle lever). I sold that one on craigslist for $125 in less than an hour so I think I priced it too low and then I bought another HRR model with auto choke and the variable speed self-propel and it has been going for 5 years strong. I am sure that if I had kept my first one it would still be going strong. I would definitely get the Honda.
Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-28-2018 23:54
I wonder how many of us are running the current HRX series mowers. Life is pretty short so I bought mine as a treat.
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-29-2018 06:53
TonyEX wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:

How is that 'expensive?'

Yeah... but being English, the blades rotate the wrong way.

Ha!

ALL Honda engines should run backwards. Damn' these new-fangled right-handed jobs.

milvtecguy
Profile for milvtecguy
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-29-2018 10:25
I had a HRR216VKA which worked great for three years. It cost a bit over $400 had the time, I think some of the big box stores have dropped the price some. One day my wife decided to cut the grass, she hit the top of a curbside water shut-off pipe. The mower lost that battle...broken blades, bend deck, oil leaking, and it sounded like it was ready to explode when it ran. Luckily it was near the end of the mowing season and I was able to get a floor model HRR216VYA which retails at $499 for $350 + military discount at HD. The blade stop is a feature I didn't know I needed until I didn't have to restart the mower every time I needed to get one of my son's toys out of the way.

So if you're looking for a good price and can wait until the end of the season I would check the big box stores then. I have owned Troy Built and Yard Machines mowers prior to splurging on the Honda, and to me they are well worth the extra money.

JimmyEats
Profile for JimmyEats
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2018 16:29
We asked some neighbors and they like electric mowers for similar yards. I guess I'll have to look into them. It does seem rather burdensome to buy a Honda mower that should last 25 years and thus I'll have to treat it well for 25 years, so maybe electric is the way to go.
white06si
Profile for white06si
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-12-2018 16:10
I own a HRR216VKA I love the mower, mulches very well, starts easy. The only complaint I have with it is the rear wheels lock up when pulling back. There is a TSB to replace the rear wheel assembly which I did last year and so far so good. I feel this is a yearly maintenance job to disassembly and lubricate the rear wheels/gears. By the way this mower has been in 2 floods and still runs great. Have owned this mower for 5 years.
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-13-2018 05:55
JimmyEats wrote:
We asked some neighbors and they like electric mowers for similar yards. I guess I'll have to look into them. It does seem rather burdensome to buy a Honda mower that should last 25 years and thus I'll have to treat it well for 25 years, so maybe electric is the way to go.

Treat it well? It's a Honda.

Neighbour used to do gardening and he's neglected the same one for decades. Changes the oil when it's black, etc. Still runs perfectly.

I'd not go back to flimsy electric ones.

cksi1372
Profile for cksi1372
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-13-2018 10:00
My HRX is probably 14-15 years old and is a beast. Hate to admit it, but haven't treated it as well as I should, but starts up every time. Only issue is the self propel really doesn't work well anymore and sometimes gets stuck. Oh, and rear wheels are pretty much racing slicks now. I should take apart and clean and/or fix the drive, but will probably get it through this season and pull the trigger on a new one.
typer_801
Profile for typer_801
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-13-2018 11:27
Me too....had mine for over 10 years....change the oil annually, spark plug every 5 years or so along with the air filter, along with bi-annual blade sharpening and air filter blow out. Can't understand why you would want to buy any other mower after this one, nothing else I've ever used is so reliable!!!

Starts first time, even after sitting all winter. Runs like a top. Only had to replace the throttle arm as the nub on it went away....would loose engine RPM after hitting small bumps. Solved for around $5 and 5 minutes of my time to install with a new OEM part.

Seems like ANY electric mower would have a much higher overall ownership cost because of it's shorter service life (i.e. battery replacements) that would require either replacement of the entire unit or batter pack replacements at an interval much less than the Honda mowers which can probably run for 20 year or more easily.

JeffX wrote:
trexdoc wrote:

VTEC_Inside
Profile for VTEC_Inside
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-13-2018 18:56
Nick GravesX wrote:
I have to say that with the efficient OHC design, the Hondas don't seem to smell like inferior old side-oilers.

I'm still rocking my Lawnboy with its Magnesium deck almost 40yrs after it was built. It needed a coil last year, and I changed the carb gasket a couple years back, but it starts first or second pull tops.

I wear earplugs regardless and it exhaust under the deck so I've never found it to be particularly loud. The smell is annoying, but nothing a shower can't fix.

If and when it ever dies I'll probably pick up a used Honda, can't justify the new prices.

Funny story. A buddy of mine did buy a new one a couple years back and the first time he used it I can't remember what he did, but it wasn't able to eject the clippings into the bag. It was effectively mulching his excessively tall grass, and he didn't notice cause the engine never slowed lol...

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-13-2018 19:57
VTEC_Inside wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:

I'm still rocking my Lawnboy with its Magnesium deck almost 40yrs after it was built. It needed a coil last year, and I changed the carb gasket a couple years back, but it starts first or second pull tops.

I wear earplugs regardless and it exhaust under the deck so I've never found it to be particularly loud. The smell is annoying, but nothing a shower can't fix.

If and when it ever dies I'll probably pick up a used Honda, can't justify the new prices.

Funny story. A buddy of mine did buy a new one a couple years back and the first time he used it I can't remember what he did, but it wasn't able to eject the clippings into the bag. It was effectively mulching his excessively tall grass, and he didn't notice cause the engine never slowed lol...

If it was an HRX then maybe he left the shutter closed so it was in mulching mode rather than bagging it. It does a great job of mulching if you mow regularly and don't let the grass get out of control.

CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-13-2018 20:33
VTEC_Inside wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:

Me too...still using my 40 year old Lawn Boy, can't wear it out. I am embarrassed to keep using it as a Honda employee. And I actually like the smell of 2-stroke exhaust mixed with freshly cut grass. If the old stroker engine dies, I may stick a Honda General Purpose engine on it...I don't want to give up that feather-weight magnesium deck.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0