[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Spied on the Street! 2019 Pilot and Pilot PHEV mule
More.......................
All-New 2019 Honda Insight Brings Style, Sophistication and 55 mpg City Rating
It's Official: Honda to supply Red Bull Racing in Formula One from 2019
Will the next-gen TLX bring back double wishbones? Or a Plugin Hybrid model?
Acura tackles Pikes Peak with 2019 RDX, NSX, and TLX entries
Honda Partners on General Motors’ Next Gen Battery Development
Trucks Set Records as Core Products Deliver American Honda May Sales Gains
First in a Generation: All-New 2019 Acura RDX Arrives in Showrooms June 1
General Talk --> Re: 2019 Chevy Blazer Revealed As A Sporty Crossover
Join Discussion......
MDX --> Re: Camera directed car toward oncoming traffic after windshield replacement
Join Discussion......
Classifieds: Buy & Sell --> Re: 1999 Zanardi NSX 6MT, 2008 CR S2000 for sale
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2019 Volvo S60
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Nikkei: Battery wars: Japan teams up for next-gen electric cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2018 World Cup
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Next gen RLX and ILX
Join Discussion......
Insight --> Re: 3rd Generation Honda Insight Reviews
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Some juicy Acura info!!!
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Accord 2.0T Touring or Kia Stinger 2.0T Premium?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Autobild report: Red Bull switching to Honda
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: JP CR-V to debut with 1.5L iMMD, 3rd row option
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Professional Motorsports > > Re: Honda & Dixon in Indycar Driver's Seat After Surprise Texas Domination

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Honda & Dixon in Indycar Driver's Seat After Surprise Texas Domination    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-12-2018 19:51
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply

I hate when people are self-referential. Hate it. But I am going to do that now, so if you hate the practice as much as I do, I apologize in advance.

In my preview for how the Indy 500 might play out https://motorsports.vtec.net/blog/200/can-honda-turn-chevy-tide-indy-500/ I opined that Honda’s fuel mileage advantage could negate Chevy’s obvious top end power advantage:

“You will see Chevys going into Fuel Save mode almost from the drop of the Green Flag. If this is the case, you will see a bunch of Hondas moving up in the order. In particular you should watch the Andrettis (Hunter-Reay, Rossi, Andretti, Veach, Munoz and Wilson). If they have generally moved up a few spots each, then you are seeing the effects of Fuel Mileage.”

That didn’t happen in the Indy 500 (because no one could pass). But it did happen in Texas Saturday night. Although the Three Penske-Chevys were clearly the class of the field (qualifying 1-2-3 by a big margin), Honda dominated the race from about lap 73 onward and the race finished with Simon Pagenaud in second place, floating in a sea of Hondas.

To read the rest of the analysis, including a look at the races ahead, click over to TOV-M!
https://motorsports.vtec.net/blog/204/honda-dixon-indycar-drivers-seat-after-surprise-te/

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Honda & Dixon in Indycar Driver's Seat After Surprise Texas Domination    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-12-2018 20:27
Good analysis. I'm looking forward to Road America.
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Honda & Dixon in Indycar Driver's Seat After Surprise Texas Domination    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-12-2018 20:42
I managed to watch the race, and I thought it was probably more about the blistering tyre problems the Penske cars encountered, than it was about fuel mileage?

RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Re: Honda & Dixon in Indycar Driver's Seat After Surprise Texas Domination    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-12-2018 22:09
sadlerau wrote:
I managed to watch the race, and I thought it was probably more about the blistering tyre problems the Penske cars encountered, than it was about fuel mileage?

Yep

94sirX
Profile for 94sirX
Re: Honda & Dixon in Indycar Driver's Seat After Surprise Texas Domination    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-13-2018 07:16
Well done Dixon! Now share some of your good fortune with your not so lucky compatriot piloting that Honda in F1!
Bullwinkle
Profile for Bullwinkle
Re: Honda & Dixon in Indycar Driver's Seat After Surprise Texas Domination    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-13-2018 09:35
sadlerau wrote:

Power and Pagenaud each made it to the end of their fuel runs on their first and second sets of tires. NONE of the Chevys, blistering tires of not, made a first stint past 63 (Power). Most only made 60. With a couple of exceptions ALL the Hondas made it to the 64-68 range. In a 248 lap race that's the difference between three stops and four.

Also, Pagenaud said after the race that the blistering did not affect him.

In the second stint of the race, Pagenaud was passed by Wickens, Dixon and Rossi. All of them had some blisters. The Honda's were running with more HP at the time because Pagenaud had to stretch his fuel to make 60 laps.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0