[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Spied on the Street! 2019 Pilot and Pilot PHEV mule
More.......................
All-New 2019 Honda Insight Brings Style, Sophistication and 55 mpg City Rating
It's Official: Honda to supply Red Bull Racing in Formula One from 2019
Will the next-gen TLX bring back double wishbones? Or a Plugin Hybrid model?
Acura tackles Pikes Peak with 2019 RDX, NSX, and TLX entries
Honda Partners on General Motorsí Next Gen Battery Development
Trucks Set Records as Core Products Deliver American Honda May Sales Gains
First in a Generation: All-New 2019 Acura RDX Arrives in Showrooms June 1
MDX --> Re: Camera directed car toward oncoming traffic after windshield replacement
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Nikkei: Battery wars: Japan teams up for next-gen electric cars
Join Discussion......
Videos --> MS woman goes Dukes of Hazzard in her 9th Gen Civic EX
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2018 WC
Join Discussion......
Classifieds: Buy & Sell --> Re: 1999 Zanardi NSX 6MT, 2008 CR S2000 for sale
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2019 Chevy Blazer Revealed As A Sporty Crossover
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2019 Volvo S60
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Next gen RLX and ILX
Join Discussion......
Insight --> Re: 3rd Generation Honda Insight Reviews
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Some juicy Acura info!!!
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Accord 2.0T Touring or Kia Stinger 2.0T Premium?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Autobild report: Red Bull switching to Honda
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > RDX > > Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]
Author
  Post New Thread
PearlBlueVTX
Profile for PearlBlueVTX
Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-05-2018 22:56
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I agree w you. I think the tech packages for all manufacturers must cause them issues. As a small example, my issue with Honda+Acura is that I had a '16 Pilot and it's Nav showed the speed limit on the nav ... pretty handy. Jump in my '17 MDX SH and you would think it would be same features or similar but there's no speed limit on nav. Jump in a '19 RDX, it's nav shows the speed limit on the dash/nav (or maybe hud?) - can't recall for sure but it did show it... Why is that?

And, I like not having 100s of buttons, I'd say the RDX center stack and it's having +/- button for fan speed for climate is more amiable / practical / functional than the digital screen on the MDX

Small issues but things I thought about some.

MDX needs more than RDX imho too so whatever they do next model '19 or '20, they need to be at least what RDX does or more

and that audio sys in RDX, I turned mine on and up and I'd say RDX seemed better to me too! That's not right! :)
I also liked those alum covers and where they placed the speakers. Wood touch was really nice and MDX needs all of those placements.

It was slick for sure.

re: hybrid

I'd say this - I never even thought of ever seriously buying a hybrid. The only reason was the Sport portion. However, to me, it's a brilliant system that I'm avg 25.7 mpg, 29k miles in a year, 71 tanks.
For an MDX and it's size, that's incredible if you ask me. And, it's quick!

Acura should push Sport+Hybrid + SH-AWD on anything [maybe that might be going too far?] they do but their systems seem common sense and practical.

anyway, I'm excited about the RDX for sure.

bnilhome wrote:
Your experience really aligns well with what I just commented on above. The MDX hybrid has some advantages but you can also feel the heaviness from it, and it's not as modern as the new RDX. I would really like to see the sports hybrid system in the RDX as that thing could really take on some of the performance lines of the German carmakers while delivering better MPGs. I also would love to see the MDX redesign debut at an auto show in early 2019 as opposed to early 2020.

TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-06-2018 08:01
http://www.autotrader.ca/expert/20180606/first-drive-2019-acura-rdx/
Replacing the 3.5L V6 from last yearís model is a new 2.0L turbocharged four-cylinder as the only engine available. Starting out as the same celebrated powerplant from the Honda Accord, itís tuned here to put out 272 hp and 280 lb-ft of torque. While down a bit in horsepower from the V6, the torque is up a notable 28 lb-ft and both figures better the outputs of the RDXís key competitors from Audi, BMW, Mercedes, and Volvo.

Whatís more, the power curve is much flatter than before, making the Acura more driveable in normal conditions. The power-to-weight ratio of the RDX is better than its competitors, also lending to better performance. Our drive around western Vancouver Island showcased the little engineís flexibility as we hurried the Acura up and down the twisting mountain roads and around the endless flow of dawdling tourists.

Thereís a new 10-speed Sequential SportShift automatic transmission that helps the RDXís driveability, too. While I was never impressed by Acuraís nine-speed found in the TLX, this new 10-speed never seems to be caught hunting for the right gear.

Acura claims this new transmission provides a first gear thatís 15 percent lower than last yearís, which helps the RDX energetically jump off the line from a standstill, and four-gear downshifts are programmed in for when theyíre needed to really get the hustle on a passing manoeuvre. More importantly, under normal operating conditions, the shifts go mostly unnoticed, but during more energetic driving, gear swaps happen with immediacy.

Unsurprisingly, the combination of smaller engine and 10-speed gearbox nets appreciable fuel efficiency benefit. Roughly 10 percent better than the old RDX, the new one is rated at 11.0 L/100 km city, 8.6 highway and 9.9 combined.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-06-2018 11:17
Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-07-2018 07:33

TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-08-2018 11:38

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-08-2018 11:48
^ Looks good there.
bnilhome
Profile for bnilhome
Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-10-2018 11:54
Here is another really strong review of the RDX from Forbes. It's nice to see Acura not simply focusing on its Japanese counterparts but also going for European competitors, and with a product that is in such hot demand (crossovers). I do what Acura sedans to improve too, but crossovers are where its at now.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/samabuelsamid/2018/06/09/2019-acura-rdx-a-spec-a-return-to-form-for-hondas-performance-division/#206ade7442f8

Last edited by JeffX on 06-10-2018 12:15
Keen7601
Profile for Keen7601
Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-11-2018 17:53
Love the A-Spec styling.

Hate the mudguards.

Honda and Acura Canada add mudguards as standard equipment.

Of course, can be removed.

But seeing as car design is rolling advertising, they should go out. Takes away from of design flow. Don't like aesthetic add-ons. ;-)

TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-12-2018 19:34

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-20-2018 15:06
Are these out in the press fleet yet? I'm curious when we'll get a more deliberate head-to-head outside of impressions from sampling competition at the Acura press event? About a week ago MotorWeek aired a Luxury Small SUV Comparison and they had a lot of new players, including the QX50. They probably filmed it only weeks before the RDX came out; a shame because it probably would've done quite well and it will be at least a year until they do another one of those comparisons.

nightflow
Profile for nightflow
Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 10:09
Several new owner reviews on acurazine now. Some are conquests from BMW 340i xDrive sedans so it was good to hear they like the "fun to drive" factor and handling dynamics of the RDX.

"Driving at 8/10ths, the RDX is nearly as fun to drive as my 340 was. Obviously, its four-banger can't keep up with the power or smoothness of the 3-liter inline 6, but it's worlds better than the 2018 RDX I test drove, not to mention the Infiniti QX50 (weak engine, terrible CVT) and Lincoln MKC 2.3 (which, despite claiming to have 280hp, felt much slower than the RDX)."

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 11:18
gofast182 wrote:
Are these out in the press fleet yet? I'm curious when we'll get a more deliberate head-to-head outside of impressions from sampling competition at the Acura press event? About a week ago MotorWeek aired a Luxury Small SUV Comparison and they had a lot of new players, including the QX50. They probably filmed it only weeks before the RDX came out; a shame because it probably would've done quite well and it will be at least a year until they do another one of those comparisons.

I should be getting my hands on one next week. So start listing your specific questions and requests here and I'll try to get answers.

TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 13:09
http://www.businessinsider.com/2019-acura-rdx-review-2018-6#so-whats-the-verdict-28
I'd buy one. Seriously, I enjoyed the RDX immensely in the week that I drove it around the Jersey 'burbs and the mean streets of New York City. But I tend to respond quote favorably to Acuras. For whatever reason, I think they combine a high level of luxury and value with legendary reliability and fun motoring that isn't too demanding.
If you just love to drive, something from BMW, Mercedes, or Audi might be more your bag. If you want absolutely bulletproof luxury, then look to Lexus (and be a bit less stimulated by exceptional engineering). If beauty is a must, turn to the Jaguar F-Pace.
But if you desire an excellent premium crossover SUV that will carry a family of four around in style, you'll be hard-pressed to do better than the new RDX.
With my colleague Ben, I agree that the new infotainment system is a work in progress. But it's a big improvement over the previous generation and a step in the right direction.
Acura has a way of being all things to all people, without causing that benefit to render its cars bland. Anybody who prefers to go Sport-Plus mode on the Dynamic selector will find that their luxury SUV can delivery more than a splash of snarl and attitude. (And maybe too much, as both Ben and I detected some harshness in the transmission's friskier shifts.)
The steering isn't mushy, and neither are the brakes. The torque-vectoring through the AWD drive system made the RDX feel genuinely sure-footed and composed when cornering, and the engine isn't cranking so much power that you feel you have to lay off in the curves, to avoid losing control.
Of course, where Acura truly shines is in the quality-to-price ratio. It's hard to obtain a better compact luxury SUV for this kind of scratch. Comparable German brands go for thousands more, similarly equipped. You're buying Acura's commitment to fine engineering and reliability, with just enough zip thrown in to remind you that you aren't driving a Lexus.
Bottom line: the 2019 Acura RDX is a purchase I can recommend you consider ó without hesitation.

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 16:01
JeffX wrote:
gofast182 wrote:

I should be getting my hands on one next week. So start listing your specific questions and requests here and I'll try to get answers.

I'd like to know:
1. Coming from a 2G MDX (which with ~100k miles a few ponies have escaped) how would one compare the off-the-line feel, also compared to an Audi Q5 2.0T (I kind of remember their transmission having a slight hesitation at throttle tip-in). Basically does the torque curve of the 2.0T in conjunction with the 10AT 'replace' the V6 off-the-line (understanding that boost levels are very low at that point)?
2. Related to #1, how smooth does it idle compared to the V6, particularly with the compressor running? Did they do enough to not make you realize it's an I4?
3. With Acura trying some new interior materials and perhaps interior construction techniques, how tight is it? Specifically, if you get into a hot car and turn the AC on, do things click/tick as they contract like they do in my BMW? If so, how long does it last?
4. This gen. RDX is bigger than the last. Did two generations of RDX growth bring it close to the 2G MDX both behind the front seats but particularly cargo area? (I know I could look up the numbers but the shape also has a lot to do with it)
Thanks, Jeff!

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 16:19
gofast182 wrote:
JeffX wrote:
gofast182 wrote:

I'd like to know:
1. Coming from a 2G MDX (which with ~100k miles a few ponies have escaped) how would one compare the off-the-line feel, also compared to an Audi Q5 2.0T (I kind of remember their transmission having a slight hesitation at throttle tip-in). Basically does the torque curve of the 2.0T in conjunction with the 10AT 'replace' the V6 off-the-line (understanding that boost levels are very low at that point)?
2. Related to #1, how smooth does it idle compared to the V6, particularly with the compressor running? Did they do enough to not make you realize it's an I4?
3. With Acura trying some new interior materials and perhaps interior construction techniques, how tight is it? Specifically, if you get into a hot car and turn the AC on, do things click/tick as they contract like they do in my BMW? If so, how long does it last?
4. This gen. RDX is bigger than the last. Did two generations of RDX growth bring it close to the 2G MDX both behind the front seats but particularly cargo area? (I know I could look up the numbers but the shape also has a lot to do with it)
Thanks, Jeff!

I can actually take a shot at these right now, and then come back and update as necessary.

1. IMMEDIATE punch off the line probably isn't quite like the 2017 MDX with 9AT launching in 1st gear - there's a tiny pause but then the torque hits hard
2. Probably not quite as smooth. I will pay more attention next week as to how it feels when the AC compressor cycles on/off. I didn't really notice it at all when we were in Whistler.
3. It's pretty hot here so hopefully next week I'll be able to tell you more about this
4. It hasn't grown that much. It's not tremendously different from the current RDX.

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 20:56
JeffX wrote:
gofast182 wrote:
JeffX wrote:
gofast182 wrote:

I'd like to know:
Thanks, Jeff!

I can actually take a shot at these right now, and then come back and update as necessary.

1. IMMEDIATE punch off the line probably isn't quite like the 2017 MDX with 9AT launching in 1st gear - there's a tiny pause but then the torque hits hard
2. Probably not quite as smooth. I will pay more attention next week as to how it feels when the AC compressor cycles on/off. I didn't really notice it at all when we were in Whistler.
3. It's pretty hot here so hopefully next week I'll be able to tell you more about this
4. It hasn't grown that much. It's not tremendously different from the current RDX.

Thank you, sir! Looking forward to more updates/impressions when you get your hands on one.

TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-23-2018 06:16
Is this not poster Colin? Do not think he has posted here in a while:

Thread Page - 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0