[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
General Talk --> Re: Said Goodbye to the MDX Today
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Will Honda join Aston Martin and Red Bull with Sports Cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Z6 head studs
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - Toro Rosso STR14 Pictures
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Honda Fit Render
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Facts about HMA - 60 years of AHM - 50 years of CB750
Join Discussion......
Audio & Electronics --> Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Kandi EV Approved for US
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Honda's Summer of Love

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
CB77
Profile for CB77
Honda's Summer of Love    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-29-2018 17:45
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply

1967...THE "SUMMER of LOVE"...and Honda was Feelin' Groovy

In 1967 as everyone was "turning on, tuning in and dropping out" color and pattern was at the forefront in paper advertisements. Honda was quick to pick up on this new swinging psychedelic culture, with their new ad campaign called "Honda Shapes the World of Wheels".

They used mostly the same people "photo-shopped" behind different models. Forget the days of the "Nicest People", now you had to be the "Grooviest" as well.

The shop where I worked had a basket of these "Take a Cycledelic Trip" buttons on the parts counter, free for the taking. My, my...what had come over old stodgy, conservative Honda?
This was the modeling debut for Cheryl Tiegs, who is used in a couple of the ads. Can you spot her?

That summer of '67, I was working as a mechanic in a Honda dealership in Columbia, Mo as my summer job between college semesters. Our shop was about 1/4 mile from I-70. And time-after-time that summer, a guy would pull in on a CL72 or CL77 with his battery totally sulfated from the intense vibration caused by riding one of those bikes at 70 MPH on I-70 for mile-after-mile.

Invariably, these guys were all headed for California, after having heard about the wild goings-on out there during the summer of love. I thought this sounded like a great adventure, and thought about setting my CL77 back up for street use and going with one of them (I had it set up for scrambles racing all that summer).

But I imagine that by the time most of those guys got to about Denver, it was time for another battery.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Honda's Summer of Love    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-29-2018 18:18
CB77 wrote:

In 1967 as everyone was "turning on, tuning in and dropping out" color and pattern was at the forefront in paper advertisements. Honda was quick to pick up on this new swinging psychedelic culture, with their new ad campaign called "Honda Shapes the World of Wheels".

They used mostly the same people "photo-shopped" behind different models. Forget the days of the "Nicest People", now you had to be the "Grooviest" as well.

IN A GADDA DA VIDA to you too baby!

So, I've become energy conscious, given the high cost of electrons in Calimexistan.

I put LED lights in my Groovy -Baby!- Lava Lamps... they don't work now. Did I break them?

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Honda's Summer of Love    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-29-2018 18:32
CB77 wrote:

Ah yeah... "Feeling Groovy"... like the time that for two months I thought my Civic's Pioneer car stereo was broken.. only played from the right side. Aw man!

Only to find out one clear (sober) Sunday morning that I had the balance control hard set to right. Oh man! That was sooo uncool.

Friend:

So, Tony, how do you do it?

How can you drive in fog and rain at night on those two lane highways.. You never slow down, never twitch, you just keep driving so suredly, steadily?

Tony:

Well, this is what I do. I aim to miss the pair of oncoming headlights closest to what I think is the middle of the highway. I figure if I miss them by seven or so feet I'll be right on the road.

I make a point of NEVER aiming to miss what I think are the outer pair of lights.

Friend:

BUT TONY! Cars only have ONE pair of headlights.

Tony:

Oh really?

NOTE: Friend never rode with Tony at night again. No matter how good the stereo in Tony's car was ( Pink Floyd... man, Pink Floyd ).

Yeah.. those were really crazy years.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Honda's Summer of Love    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-29-2018 20:25
Maybe I'm trippin' right now, but what's going on with the feet under the motorcycle, or are those kick stands?
:)

Jovian8
Profile for Jovian8
Re: Honda's Summer of Love    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-29-2018 20:59

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0