[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
NSX GT3 Evo To Compete Globally in 2019
More.......................
2019 Acura ILX Arrives with Dynamic New Styling, Major Technology Upgrades and New A-Spec Treatment
Honda Joins with Cruise and General Motors to Build New Autonomous Vehicle
Honda reports September 2018 sales numbers
Honda recalling 232,000 2018 Accords and 2019 Insights for rear camera software update
2019 Accord arriving in showrooms by November
Is a base trim of the Civic Type R finally arriving for MY 2019? (More MY2019 info inside)
Team Honda Research wins ST2 at NASA Nationals with their NC1 NSX
Type R --> Re: Top Gear: Here's what seven months living with a Honda Civic Type R is like
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Hydrogen vs Battery-tanks
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: So they took apart a Tesla 3 and found.......
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Accord 2.0 Touring: First Impressions
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 United States Grand Prix Race Spoilers
Join Discussion......
IMA/Hybrids --> Re: Check IMA System light is on - what could it mean?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> New status symbol: Dream garages
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Honda to bring mystery off-road truck to 2018 SEMA
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: European CO2 madness and why electromobility is pointless
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: CR-V Hybrid 4wd iMMD
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: The Dirt on Clean Electric Cars
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Drove one over the weekend...
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: DMV Stickers, we don't need no stinking stickers
Join Discussion......
S2000 --> Bridgewater Acura Meet
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2018 MotoGP
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > RDX > > Re: New RDX Fuel Economy

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
RAV
Profile for RAV
New RDX Fuel Economy    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2018 12:23
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
The 2019 window sticker shows 23 mpg combined with SHAWD. Again, the complete joke of the efficiency of smaller turbocharged engines. This years V6 gets 22 mpg combined without the benefit of a 10 speed transmission or direct injection. With these it would have at least equaled the 4 banger. Also, we all know in the real world it is hard for a turbo charged car to deliver what they state.
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: New RDX Fuel Economy    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2018 12:38
Welcome to...the future.

bnilhome
Profile for bnilhome
Re: New RDX Fuel Economy    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2018 14:29
RAV wrote:
The 2019 window sticker shows 23 mpg combined with SHAWD. Again, the complete joke of the efficiency of smaller turbocharged engines. This years V6 gets 22 mpg combined without the benefit of a 10 speed transmission or direct injection. With these it would have at least equaled the 4 banger. Also, we all know in the real world it is hard for a turbo charged car to deliver what they state.

Acura should make the sports hybrid standard in its entire lineup. Many around me do more city driving, and having a vehicle like the MDX that delivers 26 MPG in the city with greater HP than the non-hybrid MDX is a great offering. If they would make this the standard they would gain economies of scale on the new hybrid engine and should have a significant advantage against the competitors. With the RDX being smaller and lighter than the current Sports Hybrid MDX, I would think Acura could get close to 30 MPG in the city while still offering 300+ HP.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: New RDX Fuel Economy    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2018 14:56
NealX wrote:
Welcome to...the future.

That RDX was lucky to see a combined 15mpg with me driving.

99SI
Profile for 99SI
Re: New RDX Fuel Economy    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2018 15:04
bnilhome wrote:
RAV wrote:

Acura should make the sports hybrid standard in its entire lineup. Many around me do more city driving, and having a vehicle like the MDX that delivers 26 MPG in the city with greater HP than the non-hybrid MDX is a great offering. If they would make this the standard they would gain economies of scale on the new hybrid engine and should have a significant advantage against the competitors. With the RDX being smaller and lighter than the current Sports Hybrid MDX, I would think Acura could get close to 30 MPG in the city while still offering 300+ HP.

I agree. Given that the cost increment now is not that great it would really help to differentiate and showcase some of the NSX technology.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: New RDX Fuel Economy    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2018 15:18
RAV wrote:

It's not always cut and dry like that. The 2018 Odyssey with 10AT vs 2017 Ody with 6AT shows only a 1mpg improvement on the HWY cycle and the exact same city (19) and combined (22) figures.

Also if you look at the 2017 Accord V6 it was only rated at 24 combined and that was for a lighter sedan that was only FWD. So what is your expectation for a (heavier) CUV with an advanced (not necessarily engineered for FE) torque vectoring AWD system and the same power and more torque as a V6 sedan?

With that said, 23 isn't great when you look at the competitors - it's behind the AWD versions of the X3, Q5, NX300 and XC60 all of which show 24-25mpg combined. But honestly, the Accord 2.0T's window numbers really aren't very impressive compared to the outgoing J35, but that's also a testament to how efficient that J35 really was. If the RDX SH-AWD does come in at 23mpg, there is some hope because it sounds like in the real world that people are seeing much better numbers on the Accord 2.0T (and even my Civic Type R, when driven like a "regular Civic" easily exceeds the window sticker numbers, at least on the highway).

Keep in mind that these numbers are self reported - I'm not sure it's truly apples to apples when comparing across manufacturers. We have seen a number of cases where it came out that the calculations were more than a little optimistic. Historically, Hondas tend to be closer to reality if not pessimistic.

tsxfan19
Profile for tsxfan19
Re: New RDX Fuel Economy    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2018 15:25
I got 40.1 on my 3.5 V6 TLX coming from Charlotte, NC to Auburn, AL yesterday averaging 72 MPH.

I doubt these forced fed 4s are gonna come anywhere close on a stretch like that!

Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: New RDX Fuel Economy    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2018 15:54
RAV wrote:

Where have people seen window stickers?

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: New RDX Fuel Economy    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2018 16:00
If it:
1. Drives noticeably better than a Honda (by virtue of its 'bespoke' platform and SH-AWD)
2. Has interior quality rivaling Lexus and Audi
3. Is w/in 1 mpg of competitors and has a better shot of actually hitting that number
I'm really in the "don't care" column on this number.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: New RDX Fuel Economy    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2018 19:11
tsxfan19 wrote:
I got 40.1 on my 3.5 V6 TLX coming from Charlotte, NC to Auburn, AL yesterday averaging 72 MPH.

I doubt these forced fed 4s are gonna come anywhere close on a stretch like that!

Was that downhill?

I NEVER saw those numbers in my '15 TLX SH-AWD. The best I ever saw on the highway, on a dry road, was 24 mpg. I think I got almost 30 coming down from Weed to Redding, but that is an elevation drop of 3100 feet or so...

My wife borrowed the '18 Ridgeline BE (La Black Mamba) last friday. She got 22 mpg.

I know my wife gets excellent numbers, and when we went to the Bay Area a few months ago I got 24 mpg doing 80+...

So, my mind boggles when people report above 30 mpg on any kind of V6 J motor.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: New RDX Fuel Economy    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2018 19:43
TonyEX wrote:
tsxfan19 wrote:

Was that downhill?

I NEVER saw those numbers in my '15 TLX SH-AWD. The best I ever saw on the highway, on a dry road, was 24 mpg. I think I got almost 30 coming down from Weed to Redding, but that is an elevation drop of 3100 feet or so...

My wife borrowed the '18 Ridgeline BE (La Black Mamba) last friday. She got 22 mpg.

I know my wife gets excellent numbers, and when we went to the Bay Area a few months ago I got 24 mpg doing 80+...

I think they were rated at 34 m.p.g. highway on the last Accord V-6 with the 6 speed auto.

Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: New RDX Fuel Economy    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2018 20:04
gofast182 wrote:
If it:
1. Drives noticeably better than a Honda (by virtue of its 'bespoke' platform and SH-AWD)
2. Has interior quality rivaling Lexus and Audi
3. Is w/in 1 mpg of competitors and has a better shot of actually hitting that number
I'm really in the "don't care" column on this number.

I was hoping for at least 24 mpg combined AWD - maybe the 23 number is the A-spec with the wider tires? Bigger tires certainly make a difference in the Accord rating.

Archknight77
Profile for Archknight77
Re: New RDX Fuel Economy    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2018 22:05
Fitdad wrote:
RAV wrote:

Fitdad, like you I'm curious where these "alleged" window stickers are? The EPA numbers aren't even out yet and RAV claims to have seen this where again?

cksi1372
Profile for cksi1372
Re: New RDX Fuel Economy    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2018 22:20
Archknight77 wrote:
Fitdad wrote:
RAV wrote:

Fitdad, like you I'm curious where these "alleged" window stickers are? The EPA numbers aren't even out yet and RAV claims to have seen this where again?

I believe Acura of Marin had a new RDX onsight for training and someone took pics and video...which was posted on another site, but then taken down. Thats where the info comes from, from my understanding.

Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: New RDX Fuel Economy    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2018 22:34
cksi1372 wrote:
Archknight77 wrote:
Fitdad wrote:
RAV wrote:

I believe Acura of Marin had a new RDX onsight for training and someone took pics and video...which was posted on another site, but then taken down. Thats where the info comes from, from my understanding.

Yeah I've seen some of those pics...I just never saw a sticker and haven't seen any stickers on any other new RDX that are at a dealer right now. Here's one.

I don't necessarily doubt the 23 number BTW - I can easily see the AWD A-spec (With it's bigger/wider tires) having a 23 mpg combined rating - and I hope that's the case with the "regular" version hitting 24 or 25 mpg combined to match the competition. If the regular version is 23 mpg that would be disappointing given the competition.

RAV
Profile for RAV
Re: New RDX Fuel Economy    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2018 22:39
For those of us who realize there are virtually no benefits of the turbo 4 over the Honda V6 should be able to find relief in the Honda Passport which is supposed to come out and have the Pilot V6 and it will run on regular which has the effect of a 20% fuel economy increase since the fuel is that much less expensive. We will then a car with refinement that pulls hard to red line not like the 2.0T whose torque drops like a stone after 4500. Some will talk of the low end torque of the 2.0T but this is not what one would buy for a tow vehicle. You need passing power and when you nail it and the car downshifts, you spend all your time above 4500 where the 2.0T is running out of steam.
Hondu
Profile for Hondu
Re: New RDX Fuel Economy    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-15-2018 07:46
Fitdad wrote:
cksi1372 wrote:
Archknight77 wrote:
Fitdad wrote:
RAV wrote:

Yeah I've seen some of those pics...I just never saw a sticker and haven't seen any stickers on any other new RDX that are at a dealer right now. Here's one.

I don't necessarily doubt the 23 number BTW - I can easily see the AWD A-spec (With it's bigger/wider tires) having a 23 mpg combined rating - and I hope that's the case with the "regular" version hitting 24 or 25 mpg combined to match the competition. If the regular version is 23 mpg that would be disappointing given the competition.

Over on Acurazine there is a photo of the backside of a window sticker.

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-generation-rdx-2019-454/3rd-generation-acura-rdx-reviews-press-966479/page2/

I believe it is from an Advance model. I'm a little disappointed the Advance and Tech trims don't have upgraded rims over the base model.

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: New RDX Fuel Economy    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-15-2018 14:31
Same here on the rims, the picture of the brown one that was posted here I assumed was base but starting seeing more interior photos of similar vehicles which confirmed Advance model. They should have used the ASpec rims on Advance models just change the finish.

With that said the rims aren't as bad as past efforts, just look undersized.

Hondu
Profile for Hondu
Re: New RDX Fuel Economy    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-15-2018 15:38
Mikeydred wrote:
Same here on the rims, the picture of the brown one that was posted here I assumed was base but starting seeing more interior photos of similar vehicles which confirmed Advance model. They should have used the ASpec rims on Advance models just change the finish.

The rims on the red model in NY were pretty nice and should be the standard rims on the Advance (if not Tech as well). I hope they are not a dealer add-on (too much $$$$).

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-generation-rdx-2019-454/%92s-coming-969827/

RKG
Profile for RKG
Re: New RDX Fuel Economy    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-15-2018 16:53
Mikeydred wrote:

Those rims are cringe-worthy. You can live with bland, not these. Alas, Acura is proving once again, they can't get the hell out of their own way. If Acura proves me wrong and this is indeed a base model, then there is hope. If not, this is utterly disappointing. How could they let this ugliness pass. Don't think they'll loose any sales over this, but why.......

Is this a way to force people to go for costlier optional rims??

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: New RDX Fuel Economy    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-15-2018 20:19
RKG wrote:
Mikeydred wrote:

Those rims are cringe-worthy. You can live with bland, not these. Alas, Acura is proving once again, they can't get the hell out of their own way. If Acura proves me wrong and this is indeed a base model, then there is hope. If not, this is utterly disappointing. How could they let this ugliness pass. Don't think they'll loose any sales over this, but why.......

Save yourself the disappointment from now, unless the base is the same these are the Advance rims, I thought base was getting 18s though.

RKG
Profile for RKG
Re: New RDX Fuel Economy    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-15-2018 23:41
Mikeydred wrote:
RKG wrote:
Mikeydred wrote:

Save yourself the disappointment from now, unless the base is the same these are the Advance rims, I thought base was getting 18s though.

It would be something if the base rims turn out to be decent, because I can't imagine they can come up with worse rims than these.

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: New RDX Fuel Economy    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-16-2018 00:27
RAV wrote:
For those of us who realize there are virtually no benefits of the turbo 4 over the Honda V6 should be able to find relief in the Honda Passport which is supposed to come out and have the Pilot V6 and it will run on regular which has the effect of a 20% fuel economy increase since the fuel is that much less expensive. We will then a car with refinement that pulls hard to red line not like the 2.0T whose torque drops like a stone after 4500. Some will talk of the low end torque of the 2.0T but this is not what one would buy for a tow vehicle. You need passing power and when you nail it and the car downshifts, you spend all your time above 4500 where the 2.0T is running out of steam.

I don't think that's a fair assessment though. There are benefits to the turbo 4 over the V6, but there are also reasons why one would prefer the NA V6 over the turbo 4.

The RDX 2.0T is still rated at 272hp much like the current version. That means in theory it would still accelerate as fast as the current RDX. Of course that's just theory since we don't know how underrated the new engine is, and how the 10AT will help. It's not like the turbo 4 would make 280lbft of torque down low and then only has 150hp.

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: New RDX Fuel Economy    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-16-2018 00:29
JeffX wrote:
NealX wrote:
Welcome to...the future.

That RDX was lucky to see a combined 15mpg with me driving.

LOL I'm getting 16.5mpg right now.....with fuel price at $1.61/L for 87 octane.....that's CAD$6/gallon, and 91 octane is about $7........horrible.

tsxfan19
Profile for tsxfan19
Re: New RDX Fuel Economy    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-16-2018 10:34
TonyEX wrote:
tsxfan19 wrote:

Was that downhill?

I think one of the contributing factors is the fact that there's so much construction on I-85 coming through S.C. and just north of Atlanta that I can't go too much faster than 75 mph.

Hitting 40MPG is pretty easy, in my experiences, with both J-series motors in the last gen Accord and the current TLX. Do know that my car is a front-drive model, so I'm sure that helps out a bit.

I posted numbers last summer (or fall) of my TLX getting 40.2 (fuelly calculated) on the opposite direction (Auburn, Alabama to Charlotte, North Carolina).
https://www.instagram.com/p/BXHgNaRlHQo/

99SI
Profile for 99SI
Re: New RDX Fuel Economy    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-16-2018 10:56
I have averaged 30mpg over 26k miles commuting in the RDU area with the J35. This is with stop and go traffic. My experience with a number of J35 engines is that they will easily exceed their mpg estimates. Now if you are all the time doing WOT then I can understand #'s in the 20's. I too have seen as high as 40mpg with this car and the cruise set at 72-73mph over a 200 mile trip.
rxtreme
Profile for rxtreme
Re: New RDX Fuel Economy    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-28-2018 00:26
I was upset about the mileage numbers until thinking about what it really means. I have a 1st gen RDX that manages about 21 MPG driving it “spirited”. The 2019 is considerably more powerful than 1st gen and more powerful than the outgoing 6 cyl. So overall you have something that will outperform the last gen while still managing better gas mileage. I am hoping it will outperform most X3’s or Q5’s.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0