[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Spied on the Street! 2019 Pilot and Pilot PHEV mule
More.......................
All-New 2019 Honda Insight Brings Style, Sophistication and 55 mpg City Rating
It's Official: Honda to supply Red Bull Racing in Formula One from 2019
Will the next-gen TLX bring back double wishbones? Or a Plugin Hybrid model?
Acura tackles Pikes Peak with 2019 RDX, NSX, and TLX entries
Honda Partners on General Motors’ Next Gen Battery Development
Trucks Set Records as Core Products Deliver American Honda May Sales Gains
First in a Generation: All-New 2019 Acura RDX Arrives in Showrooms June 1
RDX --> Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2019 Volvo S60
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2019 Chevy Blazer Revealed As A Sporty Crossover
Join Discussion......
Classifieds: Buy & Sell --> Re: 1999 Zanardi NSX 6MT, 2008 CR S2000 for sale
Join Discussion......
MDX --> Re: Camera directed car toward oncoming traffic after windshield replacement
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Nikkei: Battery wars: Japan teams up for next-gen electric cars
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2018 World Cup
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Next gen RLX and ILX
Join Discussion......
Insight --> Re: 3rd Generation Honda Insight Reviews
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Some juicy Acura info!!!
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Accord 2.0T Touring or Kia Stinger 2.0T Premium?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Autobild report: Red Bull switching to Honda
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: JP CR-V to debut with 1.5L iMMD, 3rd row option
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Professional Motorsports > > Re: F1 - 2018 Monaco Grand Prix - Spoilers

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 2 [3] 4
Author
  Post New Thread
Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: F1 - 2018 Monaco Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-27-2018 10:51
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Hartley pits and retires!
Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: F1 - 2018 Monaco Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-27-2018 10:57
Ricciardo wins Monaco F1 GP race! Yeah!

Other podium finishes - Vettel a distant second and Hamilton third.

Gasly finishes in the points in 7thposition! Congratulation to Toro Rosso-Honda! Woohoooooo! :-)

danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: F1 - 2018 Monaco Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-27-2018 10:58
Congrats to Daniel, for sure the driver of the day, having won the relatively speaking slowest ever Monaco GP with all sorts of problems.

Back to Honda though, amazing race by Gasly. Being his first ever Monaco on a F1 car, both him and the team did everything perfect. From pushing hard to get ahead of HUL when they needed to, to a flawless pit-stop, then comming back to put preasure on Alonso, giving all of us the happyness of watching that Renault engine smoke in the straight, and then incredibly held HUL and VER for nearly 20 laps without giving in to the crazy presure over his shoulders.

As I said, good done Gasly !

PS: Hartley speeding on the pitlane... Give me a break ... He did not deserver being killed by the Williams, but still.

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: F1 - 2018 Monaco Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-27-2018 11:08
Well done Honey Badger! Pretty dominant display, especially considering the quality of the teammate.

The TV said it was Alonso's gearbox that smoked it, not engine.

Great to see Gasly finish as strongly as he'd did, and poor Hartley, he can't take a trick, can he.

zekohonda
Profile for zekohonda
Re: F1 - 2018 Monaco Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-27-2018 11:12
congratulations to ricci for great race!
gasly drove amazing race. started 10th, finished 7th, only alonso retired in front of him... stayed on the hs for a very long time. only hulk went longer on hs.
one qoute from yesterday qualy:
Jonathan Eddolls (Chief Race Engineer)
It will be a challenge tomorrow as overtaking is not that easy around Monaco, but our car has an advantage; it's easier on tyres than most of the others, so this should give us opportunities on the Hypersoft.

and regarding alonso retirement...karma! :D

hartely was solid p11 when leclerc knock him out. he was complaing for some contact in lap 1, than got 5 seconds penalty that he thought that he was not speeding. anyway, he did not serve the penalty.

pu reliability is very encouracing for now.

danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: F1 - 2018 Monaco Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-27-2018 11:17
sadlerau wrote:
[...]
[...]

Whatever it was, my pleasure, with him not being able to change gears, watching the STR car go past him, and finally that smoke going out of the rear part of the car.

Seems that McLaren luck this year came to an end today. Wonder if it'll be a spiral, but the truth is that Alonso had the pace for points, as in almost every race this year (though not nearly as many as they have now).

PS: We have so little information from the broadcasts about the midfield that it's hard to tell, but unless the problem was hurting him progressively, Gasly was massively faster than Alonso before it happened (sure he had fresher tires, but that's also because they qualified with much more fuel on board). And this is in a circuit, Monaco, where the driver skills are supposed to be crucial.

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: F1 - 2018 Monaco Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-27-2018 12:13
Wow great to see Grace and Joe enjoying Daniel's Monaco win! Wonderful, and Joe just laid back as always. :)

magueto
Profile for magueto
Re: F1 - 2018 Monaco Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-27-2018 12:15
danielgr wrote:
sadlerau wrote:
[...]
[...]

Whatever it was, my pleasure, with him not being able to change gears, watching the STR car go past him, and finally that smoke going out of the rear part of the car.

Seems that McLaren luck this year came to an end today. Wonder if it'll be a spiral, but the truth is that Alonso had the pace for points, as in almost every race this year (though not nearly as many as they have now).

PS: We have so little information from the broadcasts about the midfield that it's hard to tell, but unless the problem was hurting him progressively, Gasly was massively faster than Alonso before it happened (sure he had fresher tires, but that's also because they qualified with much more fuel on board). And this is in a circuit, Monaco, where the driver skills are supposed to be crucial.

In the post race interview Alonso suggest he was no sure if was the gearbox or the PU.

Whatever happen, I have to admit that I was more than please to see a Pierre overtaking him in the same moment that Alonso was having that problem.

Congratulations to Honda, the improvement in the reliability and performance has been incredible, now waiting for the Canada GP and the rumored upgrade of the PU.

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: F1 - 2018 Monaco Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-27-2018 23:19
For the record, in Monaco GP, Leclerc caused the two 'racing incidents' for Hartley:

(1) In qualifying - A yellow flag at Ste Devote because of Leclerc's off meant Hartley could not have a final attempt to get into Q2.

(2) In the race - Hartley was running 11th with Leclerc just behind when the Sauber rookie smashed into the rear of the Toro Rosso shortly after exiting the tunnel due to brake failure.

Let's hope Leclerc does not cause another incident for Hartley whose had a string of 'unlucky' incidents during this season already. Hopefully, Hartley's fortunes will turn around for the better from the Canadian GP to the end of the F1 season.

It was great to see all the celebrations of Ricciardo's Monaco GP win - from standing tall on top of his car, celebrating with his parents, the 'shoey' which Ricciardo and Adrian Newey drank champagne from and Ricciardo's 'gliding' dive into the pool at the Red Bull Energy Station.

Honda's PU has markedly improved in terms of reliability and to some extent performance. Looking forward to the upgraded PU soon - hopefully debuting in Canada!

Go Toro Rosso-Honda! Go! Go! Go!

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: F1 - 2018 Monaco Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-28-2018 00:27
I was able to watch the race this morning but none of the interviews. Alonso's GP2 gearbox failure shouldn't be too much a problem. He's had a decent start to the season and should have a new PU for Canada.

I thought Gasly had a pretty good drive but his second set of tires went away for a good part of the stint. Hulkenberg caught him pretty easily. It was strange how those three stabilized at about the same time and along with Ocon really pulled in the front pack. What a strange race.

I thought Hartley drove a good race.

I'd like to give my Driver of the Day to Ricciardo because he certainly deserves it with pedaling a slow car to the end. I think Verstappen showed real skill and a lot more patience than he has thus far. Max gets the award.

Sirotkin gets the award for most stops during a race. It seemed like they had him on a one set of US + four sets of HS strategy. Williams needs help badly.

Mikgtir
Profile for Mikgtir
Re: F1 - 2018 Monaco Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-28-2018 17:52
Grace141 wrote:
I was able to watch the race this morning but none of the interviews. Alonso's GP2 gearbox failure shouldn't be too much a problem. He's had a decent start to the season and should have a new PU for Canada.

I thought Gasly had a pretty good drive but his second set of tires went away for a good part of the stint. Hulkenberg caught him pretty easily. It was strange how those three stabilized at about the same time and along with Ocon really pulled in the front pack. What a strange race.

I'd like to give my Driver of the Day to Ricciardo because he certainly deserves it with pedaling a slow car to the end. I think Verstappen showed real skill and a lot more patience than he has thus far. Max gets the award.

Sirotkin gets the award for most stops during a race. It seemed like they had him on a one set of US + four sets of HS strategy. Williams needs help badly.

Lol, Crash tapen is paid 25 millions per year, add another 50 for all the cars and engines he destroys. Now we understand why Redbull has no cash any more to increase Ricardo salary....

Long life to Ricardo, deserved driver of the day.

And stop making me laugh with Verstappen.

IntegraDC5R
Profile for IntegraDC5R
Re: F1 - 2018 Monaco Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-28-2018 19:09
Grace141 wrote:

He was actually caught up by Hulkenburg because when he eventually caught up to Alonso, they were going over 3 seconds/lap slower, actually they started doing 1:21s just before Alonso's retirement when Gasly was banging out 1:17s beforehand. That was twice in the race that Alonso actually slowed down Gasly and the pack behind. Gasly easily could have been 6th today if he wasn't held up behind the Alonso train in the first stint with his very long first stint and Alonso dropping like 10 seconds behind Ocon, hell he could/should have been 6th in Q, but his final sector he was like .35 down on his previous best and that I'm almost sure was because of Sainz. Looking at live timing while watching Q, they both put in the same final sector time (only shows to the nearest tenth and both were a 19.5) and Sainz finished his lap just before Gasly. When Q3 best sector times were added for all the drivers, Gasly was under 1:12 (1:11.956) actually. Shit happens and such is racing especially on the Monaco streets, still was a very good drive by both the TRH rookies.

Congratulations indeed for RicciBobbi, his Q lap was something fantastic. I do hope he remains with Red Bull if they do end up Powered by Honda. Though a part of me also wants to see him go ruffle Vettel's feathers like it was '14 all over again.

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: F1 - 2018 Monaco Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-28-2018 20:11
Update: In fact, for the record, in Monaco GP, Leclerc caused three 'racing incidents' for Hartley.

The third incident, I discovered post-race, was front wing damage from the a first-lap bump (which I was aware of and posted a comment during the race) with Leclerc (which I wasn't aware of during the race) and this exacerbated the problem of the front tyres graining.

Thus considering all three incidents, Hartley did a superb job of almost finishing in the points.

Anyway, onto Canadian GP in less than two weeks - looking foward to seeing how well STR team performs there and going forward.

Go Toro Rosso-Honda! Go! Go! Go!

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: F1 - 2018 Monaco Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-28-2018 21:16
Grace141 wrote:

I think Verstappen showed real skill and a lot more patience than he has thus far. Max gets the award.

You jest surely? Verstappen gets the award for showing restraint, and not crashing into anybody during the race?? Or does he get it for finally finding some patience?

Neither seem deserving of the "Driver of the Day" award, but I suppose I am biased. :D

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: F1 - 2018 Monaco Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-29-2018 00:07
sadlerau wrote:
Grace141 wrote:

I think Verstappen showed real skill and a lot more patience than he has thus far. Max gets the award.

You jest surely? Verstappen gets the award for showing restraint, and not crashing into anybody during the race?? Or does he get it for finally finding some patience?

Neither seem deserving of the "Driver of the Day" award, but I suppose I am biased. :D

Okay, maybe I alone watched Verstappen move from last to 9th at Monaco before any of the retirements. The Sky/ESPN coverage showed just two of his passes, I think. You had to watch the intervals and know where he was on track. Granted, if he had started alongside Ricciardo everyone would have held their breath until the end but there should have been two RB drivers on the podium.

There were many solid drives through the grid. People are complaining about it being a boring race but that must just mean they're Hamilton fans. I agree that someone should have tried a legitimate two-stop strategy though even if it might have meant the driver had to pass the some competitors twice.

zekohonda
Profile for zekohonda
Re: F1 - 2018 Monaco Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-29-2018 02:29
regarding max, here are his overtakes during monaco gp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auRXi7yKXrA

danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: F1 - 2018 Monaco Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-29-2018 09:42
sadlerau wrote:
Grace141 wrote:

Actually, his team went on public radio telling him not to do anything stupid once he started to catch the Renault and Honda after his pit-stop.

Before that point he was being reckless as always, but he did show an atypical amount of self-restraint since he got the radio order.

sennaFAN
Profile for sennaFAN
Re: F1 - 2018 Monaco Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-29-2018 11:07
I have to disagree. To overtake at Monaco, even with a much quicker car, is a very difficult thing to achieve without it looking risky. I thought his overtakes were actually very well executed in the main.
The reason for his warning from the team was actually as a result of his overtake on Sainz in which he had to make a slightly artificial effort to get back to the apex at the bottom of the hill. He overshot and had to kinda come back on himself. However the previous lap Sainz overshot the corner completely and should have been penalised for not giving up the place. Clearly Charlie Whiting saw both and decided they had cancelled each other out but must have told Red Bull to remind Max that he was being watched. Hardly doing anything stupid.
It is very easy to have a go at Max at present given his magnetic attraction to trouble but he is doing what pretty much every great has done in the past and that is to lay down markers. He crosses the line plenty of times but he is at the ragged edge.
I will happily eat my hat and any other item of clothing if Red Bull get rid of him or demote him back to STR-H.
He is still the driver that Vettel and Hamilton fear most in the race. I am by no mean his fan nor do I particularly like him, but I see a great race driver in him and if in a car capable, a future world champion.
Ironically this run may well end up helping him achieve that more quickly. He may just be learning the lesson that every race can't be won and not everyone will make room for you. If he heeds those lessons he will become F1 world champ even more quickly.
He, like Senna and Schumi in particular, simply cannot accept it when a team mate is quicker over a race weekend. This weekend Daniel was absolutely untouchable and deserves all the plaudits he has received. Max had a very easy second place nailed on and missed out on those points, he also by having to start at the back was in no position to play the team game by protecting Daniel when he had his PU issues.
A chastening time but one, as I said, that will serve him well

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: F1 - 2018 Monaco Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-29-2018 12:45
sennaFAN wrote:
I have to disagree. To overtake at Monaco, even with a much quicker car, is a very difficult thing to achieve without it looking risky. I thought his overtakes were actually very well executed in the main.
The reason for his warning from the team was actually as a result of his overtake on Sainz in which he had to make a slightly artificial effort to get back to the apex at the bottom of the hill. He overshot and had to kinda come back on himself. However the previous lap Sainz overshot the corner completely and should have been penalised for not giving up the place. Clearly Charlie Whiting saw both and decided they had cancelled each other out but must have told Red Bull to remind Max that he was being watched. Hardly doing anything stupid.
It is very easy to have a go at Max at present given his magnetic attraction to trouble but he is doing what pretty much every great has done in the past and that is to lay down markers. He crosses the line plenty of times but he is at the ragged edge.
I will happily eat my hat and any other item of clothing if Red Bull get rid of him or demote him back to STR-H.
He is still the driver that Vettel and Hamilton fear most in the race. I am by no mean his fan nor do I particularly like him, but I see a great race driver in him and if in a car capable, a future world champion.
Ironically this run may well end up helping him achieve that more quickly. He may just be learning the lesson that every race can't be won and not everyone will make room for you. If he heeds those lessons he will become F1 world champ even more quickly.
He, like Senna and Schumi in particular, simply cannot accept it when a team mate is quicker over a race weekend. This weekend Daniel was absolutely untouchable and deserves all the plaudits he has received. Max had a very easy second place nailed on and missed out on those points, he also by having to start at the back was in no position to play the team game by protecting Daniel when he had his PU issues.

Those are my thoughts as well. If anything, the drive that Bottas put forth was safe, well thought out, and largely invisible. Unless you enjoy watching a Mercedes dog a Ferrari for lap after lap without any real attempt at passing.

For a good chunk of the race, the lead pack of five looked like they were running installation laps. Ferrari and Mercedes hoping the other guy would blink first, I guess.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: F1 - 2018 Monaco Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-29-2018 12:48
Maybe I should give my Driver of the Day award to Ocon since he effectively took the two stop strategy away from both Ferrari and Mercedes.

Potenza
Profile for Potenza
Re: F1 - 2018 Monaco Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-29-2018 14:08
sennaFAN wrote:

Well put, I agree with these views.

(As far as Max's "easy second" though, remember that Daniel had big PU issues - it could have even been a win for Max. I'm sure he's kicking himself plenty.)

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: F1 - 2018 Monaco Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-29-2018 19:00
Grace141 wrote:
Maybe I should give my Driver of the Day award to Ocon since he effectively took the two stop strategy away from both Ferrari and Mercedes.

I know my bias towards Ricciardo must be colouring my perception, but how could you not give it to Ricciardo?

He may have been fastest in every session of the weekend [including all 3 Qualifying phases] and while he did have the fastest car by some margin, Verstappen is proof it wasn't that easy.

Then you have the cascading issues he experienced with his car, that meant he not only had to keep the car out of the barriers, but had to maximise what performance he had left to great effect. Let's not forget that a similar problem for Hamilton in Canada in 2015 meant Hamilton retired because he cooked his brakes, and Rosberg with the same problem just managed to finish.

The lack of power, Gary Anderson has surmised on Autosport, meant he lost 1.5 seconds a lap just on the power deficit alone, then you had the severe restriction on braking performance, the different balance from the very unusual brake bias [7% different from normal settings] and the fact he had to coast into the corners to help conserve the brakes.

All this added up to a very difficult race for the leader, one that with his total dominance up till then would have tested the resolve of even the hardest competitor, but Ricciardo shrugged it off with the typical Aussie attitude of "she'll be right mate" and knuckled down to maximise what he had left. One wonders how Hamilton would have reacted in those circumstances ?

Speaking of Verstappen and his passes during the race, no pass in Monaco is a given, or easy [unless the other driver cedes deliberately early, as Occon did for Hamilton, making sure that Wolfe could not miss it, smart lad].

Concerning the dice with Sainz, the first attempt was clearly a case of Sainz taking the short cut because Verstappen couldn't turn sufficiently on the first apex to give Sainz enough racing room [remembering just how tight that corner is]. Thus Sainz taking a short cut was a free pass, hence why Whitting would have done nothing.

The second, successful attempt was just that, a difficult pass in Monaco, and the fact Verstappen did attempt to make the apex meant he was allowed to keep the position, it being Monaco.

Just IMHO. :D

sennaFAN
Profile for sennaFAN
Re: F1 - 2018 Monaco Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-30-2018 03:40
lol watching the Force India jump out of the way of the Mercs was quite funny and a tad obvious !
My post re drivers was just a counter argument to another that I felt was too critical of Max's drive on the day.
Like you I was in awe not only of Daniel's entire weekend up to that point but also the way he coped with the issues he was having. Most think that losing power in the way he did purely affected lap time through the power loss but as you say he had to nurse the whole system so as not to affect lap times too much but also to protect it. Simply amazing.
You hit the nail on the head re Hamilton !! If it had been him you would have seen his toys littering the track behind him as he tried to cope with the issues Daniel faced.
Both he and Max drove wonderfully on the day but faced completely different challenges in doing so. I would have to give the award to Daniel not only for his brilliant race but also for the fact that he did not handicap himself by putting himself in a situation where he had no choice but to face multiple overtakes !!

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: F1 - 2018 Monaco Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-30-2018 03:54
The real question I have is - has Verstappen FINALLY learnt his lesson? He will not be fastest, against his teammate, every GP, sometimes you have to accept 2nd best [and it won't be very often].

His issue is he attains his incredible speed from running the ragged edge, constantly over the limit in finding that limit. OK on a normal race track, but when barriers are so close...... Luckily for him his incredible skill saves him, most of the time.

But in Ricciardo he has a driver equally as skilled, but in a different way, Daniel gains his speed from his utter smoothness, maximizing his grip and thus his limit, and only rarely exceeding it. He may not be fastest every GP, but the difference between the 2 is usually just a few hundredths if not thousandths. But Daniel knows when to back off in trying to achieve the ultimate time, or when he is not 100% comfortable in the car's characteristics, as he was most of last year I think.

Anyway I look forward to the rest of this year, and see how the battle between the two pans out. :)

sennaFAN
Profile for sennaFAN
Re: F1 - 2018 Monaco Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-30-2018 04:17
It's a tricky one for him. His speed is not in doubt, it is his judgement I guess in situations like the one in Baku and in China. He was way too aggressive throughout the Baku race with Daniel.
His overtake in China against Vettel was made to look even worse when you look at the way Daniel was managing to do the same but in a far smarter cleaner way.
It seems he has a sudden rush of blood whereas Daniel remains far calmer and more calculating in those moments.
He is still very young and although his ego may not want to accept it he has a great deal he can learn from his teammate.
The team clearly are now applying pressure to bring home points given how many he has thrown away needlessly this year.
I get the feeling that this years chassis responds best to Daniels driving style and that has rattled Max. A trickier more nervous chassis is one Max can get an advantage with.
Either way it is going to make for an interesting spectacle !!

danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: F1 - 2018 Monaco Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-30-2018 05:23
sennaFAN wrote:

Maybe I read something wrong, but I can't see where we disagree (I do agree with pretty much everything you said).

Overtaking at Monaco is not an easy feature, which is why most people don't. Only the reckless (like Verstappen) try. Now, when overtaking massively slower cars, you can still get a clean pass, even in Monaco (and it's not the first time that a top car starts at the back of the field and clims up during the race). As you climb up, however, you start needing to take more risks, and then Verstappen got a nice warning with Sainz.

Then, I do believe that without his team public call-out after that one, Verstappen would have kept trying with HUL, GAS, and anyone he could take. The consequences would have likely meant someone finishing in the barriers. To be honest, when you are by far the fastest on the race settling for 9th is a misery, so I think it's only natural to go for it. The problem is that for the guys around that 8th or 9th place feels like a victory for you, and that if you end up their races it's not just your 9th place being lost, also theirs. With Gasly right there, I'm so glad he didn't risk it.

Now that changes nothing to how quick it is, and he has plenty of time to mature, so I don't think he should worry about his race seat if not to find a better one. So yeah, we may have different views on the definition of "reckless", but otherwise I agree with pretty much everything you said.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: F1 - 2018 Monaco Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-30-2018 07:30
sadlerau wrote:
Grace141 wrote:

I know my bias towards Ricciardo must be colouring my perception, but how could you not give it to Ricciardo?

He may have been fastest in every session of the weekend [including all 3 Qualifying phases] and while he did have the fastest car by some margin, Verstappen is proof it wasn't that easy.

Then you have the cascading issues he experienced with his car, that meant he not only had to keep the car out of the barriers, but had to maximise what performance he had left to great effect. Let's not forget that a similar problem for Hamilton in Canada in 2015 meant Hamilton retired because he cooked his brakes, and Rosberg with the same problem just managed to finish.

The lack of power, Gary Anderson has surmised on Autosport, meant he lost 1.5 seconds a lap just on the power deficit alone, then you had the severe restriction on braking performance, the different balance from the very unusual brake bias [7% different from normal settings] and the fact he had to coast into the corners to help conserve the brakes.

All this added up to a very difficult race for the leader, one that with his total dominance up till then would have tested the resolve of even the hardest competitor, but Ricciardo shrugged it off with the typical Aussie attitude of "she'll be right mate" and knuckled down to maximise what he had left. One wonders how Hamilton would have reacted in those circumstances ?

Speaking of Verstappen and his passes during the race, no pass in Monaco is a given, or easy [unless the other driver cedes deliberately early, as Occon did for Hamilton, making sure that Wolfe could not miss it, smart lad].

Concerning the dice with Sainz, the first attempt was clearly a case of Sainz taking the short cut because Verstappen couldn't turn sufficiently on the first apex to give Sainz enough racing room [remembering just how tight that corner is]. Thus Sainz taking a short cut was a free pass, hence why Whitting would have done nothing.

The second, successful attempt was just that, a difficult pass in Monaco, and the fact Verstappen did attempt to make the apex meant he was allowed to keep the position, it being Monaco.
Just IMHO. :D

Ricciardo pretty much owned the weekend which didn't surprise me. His style and apparently the abilities of the RB car thus far this year matched Monaco perfectly. It's about time he won the thing, right?

F1 now has Ricciardo's pole lap up on its YouTube channel and it's definitely one of those laps which looks slow but is actually fast. It's when you watch one of the Senna Monaco lap videos that you realize just how smoothly the current RB cars can lap that course, allowing the suspension to work without dragging the bottom all of the time. I really like Ricciardo because he almost always takes advantage of the opportunities available while Verstappen too frequently throws away those opportunities due to the red mist.

I also like Ricciardo because when he realized he had a PU problem he turned to his team asking what he could do to help. It's pretty telling when his team tells him to keep doing what he's doing while telling Verstappen to keep things clean.

Hamilton probably would have been his usual average self if he had suffered similar PU problems. It's all a creation of the Mercedes team considering he has his handler on the radio with him at all times with "please" and "thank you". Hamilton does a great job of acknowledging the hard work of his team when he does well but, as the most visible, vocal person in that team, when the going gets tough he's just not there to rally the troops but rather talking about how rough of a day he had. I see him as a more vocal Schumacher.

Anyway, Ricciardo has Monaco's number and as long as he keeps himself in a good car he could win the race another two or three times. I think the best factor in his favor was not having a teammate dogging him the entire race.

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: F1 - 2018 Monaco Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-30-2018 08:57
Speaking of Hamilton, when he was asked, last year, on whether he would welcome Ricciardo into the Mercedes team he diplomatically replied that he thought Ricciardo needed to prove himself by beating his current teammate before he considered moving to a new team. This week he was saying Riccardo should stick with the team he was already the #1 driver in.

Can't say I can blame neither Hamilton or Vettel about having Ricciardo as a teammate. No driver in his right mind wants an overly competitive teammate. :)

Mikgtir
Profile for Mikgtir
Re: F1 - 2018 Monaco Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-30-2018 08:59
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/video/main-gallery/verstappen-s-crashes-in-2018-110080/

And even an official F1 site for news has a special video on the subject... Can't imagine this guy in a Rally car, the public would be really at risk...

sennaFAN
Profile for sennaFAN
Re: F1 - 2018 Monaco Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-30-2018 09:21
Yep, I think Hamilton remembers very well how Daniel handled and beat Vettel at Red Bull.
I can't help thinking how much Merc would like him though. Hamilton, whilst a wonderful driver, still can't help himself but to come across as a petulant whinger unless things are rosey and then he can be sickeningly patronising !!
Merc would love the positive atmosphere that Daniel would bring to them. I have to be honest as much as I admire Hamilton as a driver I would snap Daniel up for all sorts of reasons.

Thread Page - 1 2 [3] 4
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0