[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Will the next-gen TLX bring back double wishbones? Or a Plugin Hybrid model?
More.......................
Acura tackles Pikes Peak with 2019 RDX, NSX, and TLX entries
Honda Partners on General Motors’ Next Gen Battery Development
Trucks Set Records as Core Products Deliver American Honda May Sales Gains
First in a Generation: All-New 2019 Acura RDX Arrives in Showrooms June 1
This 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec is wearing an exclusive new shade of blue
2019 Pilot gets upgraded with standard LED headlights and "Telematics"
Sources: 2019 HR-V adds Sport trim, loses 6MT option
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Acura TLX-Based Test Mule Spy Photos
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Some juicy Acura info!!!
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Ordered Son of Black Mamba
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Here they come...
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: I HATE Cristiano Ronaldo
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: "American" cars made in Canada
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Let's burn rubber today!
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: WEC - 2018 24 Hours of Le Mans - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
Insight --> Re: 2019 Insight Stuff from Minneapolis
Join Discussion......
Classifieds: Buy & Sell --> Re: Who did the MODS on the cars..
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDXs arriving. New colors
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: BMW 8-Series Coupe (2019)
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: New WEC regulations Friday
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: English goalkeeper for Saudis
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec
Photo Gallery - Some other cars from 2019 NYIAS

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Sales Experiences > > Re: Questions regarding: lease, then buy option

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
JimmyEats
Profile for JimmyEats
Questions regarding: lease, then buy option    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-23-2018 10:20
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
When a lease price is considered really good, what does the purchase cost end up being after 3 years?

If a car, like a luxury car, loses it's resale value, does a buyer end up getting a low used car price on the car they've owned and known?

Example: Would a TSX base model every be $199/mo and the purchase price after three years be $20k?

RSX
Profile for RSX
Re: Questions regarding: lease, then buy option    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-23-2018 10:58
JimmyEats wrote:
When a lease price is considered really good, what does the purchase cost end up being after 3 years?

If a car, like a luxury car, loses it's resale value, does a buyer end up getting a low used car price on the car they've owned and known?

Example: Would a TSX base model every be $199/mo and the purchase price after three years be $20k?

There's so many scenario's in the answers to these questions. First, it is up to the dealer and/or manufacturer to determine the buyout price at the end of the lease contract.

Not often do people buy out these cars at the end of the contract because people that lease often do so only because they can get a low payment and have a new car every two to four years. These cars end up going to auction where dealers pay much less for them than they're worth - obviously so they can be sold for profit on their lots. Then, there's the businesses that use lease payments for tax benefits. Again, these cars don't get bought out.

If you're getting a low lease payment and plan to purchase the car at the end of your lease, you might want to check that the buyout amount is a reasonable amount to pay for that car, knowing the age and miles you'll put on it. The good news is you're buying a car you've owned and know exactly the condition it is in - that is probably the biggest advantage you have. You can ask the dealer what depreciation rate they are using on the car and compare it with others of the make or competitors of that model.

Good luck.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Questions regarding: lease, then buy option    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-23-2018 13:19
JimmyEats wrote:

Leasing is not too complicated but it's somewhat easy to obfuscate the numbers.

When you see really good lease deals with low monthly rates and low initial costs, there are usually one or more factors in play

1) Manufacturer is putting cash into the lease, "buying it down" so the amount financed is less. This is the "capital cost reduction" part.
2) Manufacturer is basically highly encouraging the dealer eat part of his own profit, and "sell" you the car for less than MSRP
3) Unrealistic residual factor - the residuals are set artificially high so at the end of the lease the buyout tends to be much higher than wholesale and sometimes even the retail value of the vehicle. The amount financed (rented) is based upon the difference between the capitalized cost of hte lease and the depreciated value of the vehicle at the end of the lease. The narrower this gap is, the lower the monthly rent payments. A lot of car companies get in deep shit kicking the can down the road this way, and this is how they end up with 10s of thousands of cars 2-3 years later which are worth less than what the manufacturer projected. So they get to recognize the revenue up front, and take a huge hit 2-3 years down the road. They're hoping that something comes along to save the day.
4) Money factor. This is a fancy way of hiding the interest rate. A lower money factor means less interest paid monthly.

So, it can be 1 of these 4 things or any combination of these 4 things. For the lowest lease you'll see it's usually a combination of at least 2 or 3 of them.

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: Questions regarding: lease, then buy option    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-23-2018 14:05
This is great information, I was thinking of posting similar as I have never lease but decided that will be next option. Will manufacturers actually tell buyers the projected value or do they usually inflate to hold profit? Also, after the lease is up is the purchase price negotiable based on market value or is it predetemined by dealers?

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Questions regarding: lease, then buy option    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-23-2018 14:20
Mikeydred wrote:
This is great information, I was thinking of posting similar as I have never lease but decided that will be next option. Will manufacturers actually tell buyers the projected value or do they usually inflate to hold profit? Also, after the lease is up is the purchase price negotiable based on market value or is it predetemined by dealers?

it will all be in the contract that you sign when you purchase the vehicle. Usually the terms aren't very negotiable if it's one of those nationally advertised aggressive lease deals.

Before agreeing to any lease terms, ask for the following information at minimum:
1) Allowed miles and cost per mile for excess mileage
2) Capitalized Cost (acquisition cost of the vehicle, less any factory/dealer contributions, less your contributions, plus taxes/fees)
3) Residual cost (your contractual cost to purchase at the end)
4) Ask if there are any end of lease fees or any fees if you decide to purchase
5) money factor
6) Is there a security deposit? (this is not applied to CCR - it's money you put in up front which is generally returned at the end of the lease).

note that if you sign on to a lease and then need to break it for whatever reason before the end of the term, you normally have to pay the sum of all remaining payments (less interest, in some cases) + the full residual cost and any taxes that may be incurred, and possibly a lease termination fee.

This is just off the top of my head. If I think of anything else, I'll come back.

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: Questions regarding: lease, then buy option    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-23-2018 20:50
JeffX wrote:
Mikeydred wrote:

it will all be in the contract that you sign when you purchase the vehicle. Usually the terms aren't very negotiable if it's one of those nationally advertised aggressive lease deals.

Before agreeing to any lease terms, ask for the following information at minimum:
1) Allowed miles and cost per mile for excess mileage
2) Capitalized Cost (acquisition cost of the vehicle, less any factory/dealer contributions, less your contributions, plus taxes/fees)
3) Residual cost (your contractual cost to purchase at the end)
4) Ask if there are any end of lease fees or any fees if you decide to purchase
5) money factor
6) Is there a security deposit? (this is not applied to CCR - it's money you put in up front which is generally returned at the end of the lease).

note that if you sign on to a lease and then need to break it for whatever reason before the end of the term, you normally have to pay the sum of all remaining payments (less interest, in some cases) + the full residual cost and any taxes that may be incurred, and possibly a lease termination fee.

This is just off the top of my head. If I think of anything else, I'll come back.

Thanks Jeff!

CanTeX
Profile for CanTeX
Re: Questions regarding: lease, then buy option    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-27-2018 13:46
The residual was ~$22,650 on my TLX, which was higher than retail at the time. The auction buyer was a Honda dealer in Oklahoma where thecar sat for five months or so. I figured I could have picked it up for <$19K., maybe less. But the low seating killed the prospects.

So if you really like the car, follow the VIN and see if you can strike a deal with the new dealer.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0