[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Spied on the Street! 2019 Pilot and Pilot PHEV mule
More.......................
All-New 2019 Honda Insight Brings Style, Sophistication and 55 mpg City Rating
It's Official: Honda to supply Red Bull Racing in Formula One from 2019
Will the next-gen TLX bring back double wishbones? Or a Plugin Hybrid model?
Acura tackles Pikes Peak with 2019 RDX, NSX, and TLX entries
Honda Partners on General Motors’ Next Gen Battery Development
Trucks Set Records as Core Products Deliver American Honda May Sales Gains
First in a Generation: All-New 2019 Acura RDX Arrives in Showrooms June 1
Classifieds: Buy & Sell --> Re: 1999 Zanardi NSX 6MT, 2008 CR S2000 for sale
Join Discussion......
MDX --> Re: Camera directed car toward oncoming traffic after windshield replacement
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2019 Chevy Blazer Revealed As A Sporty Crossover
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2019 Volvo S60
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Nikkei: Battery wars: Japan teams up for next-gen electric cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2018 World Cup
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Next gen RLX and ILX
Join Discussion......
Insight --> Re: 3rd Generation Honda Insight Reviews
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Some juicy Acura info!!!
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Accord 2.0T Touring or Kia Stinger 2.0T Premium?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Autobild report: Red Bull switching to Honda
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: JP CR-V to debut with 1.5L iMMD, 3rd row option
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Is a G1 NSX w/4AT worth the huge price break?

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
A.W.E.S.O.M. - O
Profile for A.W.E.S.O.M. - O
Is a G1 NSX w/4AT worth the huge price break?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-25-2018 14:09
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Anyone else notice the huge price discrepancy on G1 NSXs when the have the 4AT? Is it me or is it like $20K?

Would any of you enjoy the G1 NSX goodness (minus the slushbox) for $20k less?

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Is a G1 NSX w/4AT worth the huge price break?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-25-2018 14:30
The Later NA1s have a column control, so may be driven manually.

It's down to personal preference - my NA2 is of course a six-speed and I prefer it that way. But if you can afford only to run an auto and don't mind, why on earth not?

LJK Setright said he'd liked to have had one of each, to drive according to his mood.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Is a G1 NSX w/4AT worth the huge price break?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-25-2018 15:10
As good as the Honda / Acura sticks are, and the smoothness of the V-6, I'd really have to pass on the slushbox.
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Is a G1 NSX w/4AT worth the huge price break?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-25-2018 18:58
superchg2 wrote:
As good as the Honda / Acura sticks are, and the smoothness of the V-6, I'd really have to pass on the slushbox.

But if it's a choice between having an NSX and missing out, I think the overall driving experience of being in an NSX makes the the auto worthwhile.

Potenza
Profile for Potenza
Re: Is a G1 NSX w/4AT worth the huge price break?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-25-2018 19:52
I don't think NSXs have much of a reliability problem, but in general AT cars are driven less hard. In fact I read once that some buyers tend to purchase an AT NSX because it's likely to have been less abused, then swap in an MT.

I totally missed out on a nice AT 1991 silver model for $25k quite a few years ago now - well before prices skyrocketed. Personally I wouldn't have ever done any sort of swap and just enjoyed it as-is, despite the sure snickering of those who don't have said car yet are intent on telling others how their car should be equipped.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Is a G1 NSX w/4AT worth the huge price break?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-26-2018 06:05
Reliability isn't an issue - they are just getting very old and things fatigue eventually.

And prices are eye-watering, for the parts that are still available.

Yes, it's a Honda, but you must enter these things with your eyes open. A new Civic will likely be cheaper to run.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Is a G1 NSX w/4AT worth the huge price break?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-26-2018 09:52
sadlerau wrote:
superchg2 wrote:

But if it's a choice between having an NSX and missing out, I think the overall driving experience of being in an NSX makes the the auto worthwhile.

You are right. The NSX has a pretty good amount of power. On the other hand, I can't imagine my Si with an automatic, since the 6 speed really let's me keep the K20 in its power range and of course the shifting is smooooth.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Is a G1 NSX w/4AT worth the huge price break?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-26-2018 14:23
The AT version is tuned for more area under the torque curve and so the NSX would probably be lively enough.

But I agree though; you can better wring its neck in 2nd & 3rd with the manual. Though 3rd gear is pretty flexible really, unlike with lesser Hondas where 2nd is very frequently used. It's not really necessary with the 3.2.

neuronbob
Profile for neuronbob
Re: Is a G1 NSX w/4AT worth the huge price break?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-27-2018 08:00
Nick GravesX wrote:
Yes, it's a Honda, but you must enter these things with your eyes open. A new Civic will likely be cheaper to run.

Au contraire--depends on what you buy. I have a well-sorted 1999 6MT targa and routine maintenance is inexpensive. Parts, though....yeah, definitely NSX tax there.

As far as an automatic NSX, they are fun in their own right, but in a different way. You can stil enjoy the handling on the track, or in an autocross. You can still experience the sweet seats, and the amazing, simply amazing, visibility that the OG NSX is known for. The later cars have paddle shifters, so there is some control over revs. You can look fabulous in rush hour traffic without left leg work. Further, not everyone can drive manual. Don't knock the automatic until you've tried it! Even without a manual, a 1st gen NSX is still one of the coolest cars in the world. I'd prefer a manual, but I'll never pooh-pooh a NSX brother with a slushbox.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Is a G1 NSX w/4AT worth the huge price break?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-27-2018 13:10
neuronbob wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:

Au contraire--depends on what you buy. I have a well-sorted 1999 6MT targa and routine maintenance is inexpensive. Parts, though....yeah, definitely NSX tax there.

As far as an automatic NSX, they are fun in their own right, but in a different way. You can stil enjoy the handling on the track, or in an autocross. You can still experience the sweet seats, and the amazing, simply amazing, visibility that the OG NSX is known for. The later cars have paddle shifters, so there is some control over revs. You can look fabulous in rush hour traffic without left leg work. Further, not everyone can drive manual. Don't knock the automatic until you've tried it! Even without a manual, a 1st gen NSX is still one of the coolest cars in the world. I'd prefer a manual, but I'll never pooh-pooh a NSX brother with a slushbox.

Actually, most people cannot drive a manual - it's a very tricky set of co-ordination to do it well. Especially with an NSX's slightly awkward clutch action and electronic throttle. The S2000 is far easier, but then I still get the rev-matching wrong on occasion.

Try the NSX tax over here - it's why I often buy bits from over there, shipping notwithstanding.

A.W.E.S.O.M. - O
Profile for A.W.E.S.O.M. - O
Re: Is a G1 NSX w/4AT worth the huge price break?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-27-2018 13:25
What year did paddle shifters begin coming with the AT?
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Is a G1 NSX w/4AT worth the huge price break?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-27-2018 19:48
'94 I think.

It's a lever, not paddles and it's called F-matic.

neuronbob
Profile for neuronbob
Re: Is a G1 NSX w/4AT worth the huge price break?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-27-2018 23:59
Nick GravesX wrote:

Try the NSX tax over here - it's why I often buy bits from over there, shipping notwithstanding.

No argument there. You guys definitely get soaked worse than we do. The NSX world is pretty small, though, and you quickly find out who to buy parts from at a "quasi-reasonable" (LOL) price.

LudegarH22A7
Profile for LudegarH22A7
Re: Is a G1 NSX w/4AT worth the huge price break?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-28-2018 16:59
My first experience behind the wheel of an NSX was driving a gen 1 4AT.

At the time I owned an 88 CRX Si and 93 Accord LX 4AT and was shopping for my first Prelude. I was 19 or 20-ish. Anyhow, it was like driving the car in safe mode. You could feel how dynamic, firm, planted and bespoke the chassis was but you were not given much of any tools to exploit it. The original auto really turns the car into nothing more than a brisk cruiser imho and absolutely warrants much less value. I had more fun in my modified (AEM CAI & Greddy Exhaust) sportshift Prelude and barely kept that for over a year - traded for a 5MT.

I would describe the 4AT as a gateway drug if you were buying during the new car sales era; now it would be akin to purchasing bragging rights and not much else. But who tf cares what others think if you happen to fall in love with a particular example and decide to scoop it up.

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Is a G1 NSX w/4AT worth the huge price break?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-29-2018 10:20
I'm not sure why you'd buy one of Honda's most famous sports cars without a stick. Unless the price differential is enough that you can do a swap and save money. Not only are you missing out on the actual experience of interacting with the powertrain, but there's also the fact that resale values (as you've seen) are not as good. If you're already paying this much, I don't really understand why you don't just go all the way.

There's also the fact that it's a FOUR SPEED AUTOMATIC.

qingcong
Profile for qingcong
Re: Is a G1 NSX w/4AT worth the huge price break?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-29-2018 17:49
1G NSX with AT is like:
10/10 girl who's deaf
tropical vacation without alcohol
steak & lobster dinner, with imitation lobster
You can probably still enjoy it, but you gotta accept that one part of it is highly compromised.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0