[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
NSX GT3 Evo To Compete Globally in 2019
More.......................
2019 Acura ILX Arrives with Dynamic New Styling, Major Technology Upgrades and New A-Spec Treatment
Honda Joins with Cruise and General Motors to Build New Autonomous Vehicle
Honda reports September 2018 sales numbers
Honda recalling 232,000 2018 Accords and 2019 Insights for rear camera software update
2019 Accord arriving in showrooms by November
Is a base trim of the Civic Type R finally arriving for MY 2019? (More MY2019 info inside)
Team Honda Research wins ST2 at NASA Nationals with their NC1 NSX
Type R --> Re: Top Gear: Here's what seven months living with a Honda Civic Type R is like
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Accord 2.0 Touring: First Impressions
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> So they took apart a Tesla 3 and found.......
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: CR-V Hybrid 4wd iMMD
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 United States Grand Prix Race Spoilers
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Drove one over the weekend...
Join Discussion......
IMA/Hybrids --> Re: Check IMA System light is on - what could it mean?
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: DMV Stickers, we don't need no stinking stickers
Join Discussion......
S2000 --> Bridgewater Acura Meet
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Honda to bring mystery off-road truck to 2018 SEMA
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2018 MotoGP
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Switch Wheels 2019 RDX Tech to Advance ????
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: evo's best Japanese cars, 5 new, 5 old
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Engineering Explained on the CTR and its motor
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: European CO2 madness and why electromobility is pointless
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author
  Post New Thread
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-18-2018 16:36
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I attended an event where we had the opportunity to drive a bunch of different cars today. There were some interesting cars there including a Maserati Levante GranSport and a gorgeous Mercedes E400 4Matic Wagon, which was almost the same grey as my Type R :D I drove both of them - quite nice.

Also, there were a lot of "everyday" cars there, and of those I drove a 2018 Pacifica Hybrid (nice drive - well done, Chrysler!), 2019 Ram 1500 (very impressive truck, but not cheap!), 2018 Nissan Leaf (it's nice, but you gotta LOVE EV to want to spend $40k on one of these), Nissan Armada (HUUUUGE. Makes a 400hp V8 seem very average. It's a well screwed together SUV, but I'm not sure I like the electronic rear view mirror and the interior wasn't all that impressive for the price), Lexus RX350L (drove reasonably well, though too Lexus-soft for my tastes, fairly nicely done interior but that 3rd row is sort of a joke), Passat GT (I didn't see the monroney, but they said it's under $30k and it seems like a decent option for that money - pretty good handling, decent ride, boring styling, nice V6, but while the interior is roomy, it's pretty basic in quality and it's low on tech content). One of the last cars I drove was the all new 2019 Mazda 6 Signature.

I've always thought the 6 was a nice design and it still looks good, though it is growing a little long in the tooth. The refreshed front end helps, and the paint looks quite nice (they had the Soul Red Crystal Metallic example). The interior is trimmed quite nicely (with ultrasuede trim on the dash, and a nice looking wood trim as well) but it seemed considerably smaller in the back seat than I had remembered from last driving a 6 2 years ago. I had to play around with the infotainment system for a few minutes before I figured out the primary operation scheme, but once I got to that point I liked the scheme a lot. It was very responsive, and in general the dash layout was pretty user friendly and visually appealing. BUT, I was a little surprised to see that there was no Android Auto or Apple Carplay support. On the other hand, I'm a big fan of 360 cameras and I'm glad to see that the 6 has one.

Anyhow, the hardpoints of the 6 remain essentially the same - what I REALLY wanted to experience was the new engine, as that was always the biggest letdown of the 6 in my opinion. I always thought the styling was agreeable, the car was packaged well, but I just didn't care for the SkyActiv 2.5 and its lack of punch. Unfortunately you can't get the turbo engine with a manual, so your only choice is a 6-speed automatic.

Oddly, in the car I drove, there was a spec sheet that said it made 227hp and 310lb-ft. So when I drove it, that's what my expectations were. At the time that I read that sheet, I thought the HP number sounded wrong, and I later confirmed with the Mazda logistics guy that the actual spec was 250hp. So when I drove it I felt a little confused, because I can believe it's pushing close to 300lb-ft (very briefly, it seems), but on the power side it felt like considerably less than 250hp, and maybe even less than the 227hp that was on the sheet. This car was pretty much brand new though - less than 340 miles on the odo when I got my hands on it - so maybe it needs to be broken in some more. It will definitely be interesting to see the first dyno results of these new SkyActiv turbos.

On the chassis side, you can still tell it is fundamentally very good, but this particular example was considerably softened from the last examples of the 6 that I've driven, which was a little disappointing for me personally, since that was previously the brightest spot of the 6. I guess there's not enough real "enthusiasts" to support car like that so I can understand why Mazda is pushing more towards the mainstream in that sense.

The 6 that I drove today stickered for just over $36k, and from a design and content standpoint, I was fairly impressed. If they could have just kept the taut chassis that appealed to me previously, and maybe tuned the engine to develop more actual power, then to me it would be a much more appealing package. But similar things could be said about the Accord 2.0T - give me a sportier suspension tune (I'd want at least 30% stiffer) and an LSD and I'd be all in on that. Otherwise, it's better suited for the more mainstream buyers.

Last edited by JeffX on 05-18-2018 18:43
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-18-2018 16:57
I think the 227 h.p. is on regular 87 unleaded.
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-18-2018 17:06
superchg2 wrote:
I think the 227 h.p. is on regular 87 unleaded.

I was wondering about that. I'm also wondering if it had regular unleaded in the one I drove today.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-18-2018 17:14
JeffX wrote:
...give me a sportier suspension tune (I'd want at least 30% stiffer) and an LSD and I'd be all in on that...

Would a bong be good enough for you? ;-)

Love that red color on Mazdas. Superb.

cksi1372
Profile for cksi1372
Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-18-2018 17:33
Yeah, it's 227hp with 87 octane and 250hp with 93 octane.

Thanks for the comments on the 6. I've always liked it and have been meaning to go drive one with the new turbo, but haven't gotten around to it. Agree on the ACP/AA not being available, but Mazda keeps insisting it will be coming sometime this year. I'm not a tech guy, but still don't understand why it's so hard to integrate ACP/AA in vehicles.

honduh
Profile for honduh
Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-18-2018 20:00
Thanks for sharing. Iím interested to see how the new Skyactiv-X engines will perform. Sounds like the 2.5T is sort of truckish or diesel like with gobs of torque. Makes more sense in the CX-9.

These mainstream sedans are sorta of a conundrum. Have to admit I can see the appeal of CUVs for the mainstream. For a ďsportierĒ sedan I think Iíd like to see a revival of TSX gen1 but with better power.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-18-2018 20:58
honduh wrote:
Thanks for sharing. Iím interested to see how the new Skyactiv-X engines will perform. Sounds like the 2.5T is sort of truckish or diesel like with gobs of torque. Makes more sense in the CX-9.

These mainstream sedans are sorta of a conundrum. Have to admit I can see the appeal of CUVs for the mainstream. For a ďsportierĒ sedan I think Iíd like to see a revival of TSX gen1 but with better power.

Yeah it's clearly designed to be torque heavy but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's diesel-like. And I wouldn't even say it's "gobs" of torque - the 310 number sounds impressive but I really want to see a dyno plot to see how long that peak really holds. It doesn't feel to be very long. I will be interested to see the 0-60 times for this car. It really didn't feel too much better than mid-high 6's, but then again maybe it was running regular unleaded and not fully broken in. Or maybe it's just that I'm getting too accustomed to driving the Type R, particularly after the reflash.

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-19-2018 01:31
How does the 2.5T feel compare to the Accord 2.0T 10AT? Which one do you feel have more power and torque?

The press photos of the Mazda 6 interior are so nice, but looking at your pictures, the interior doesn't look all that nice...lol.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-19-2018 06:51
TonyEX wrote:
JeffX wrote:
...give me a sportier suspension tune (I'd want at least 30% stiffer) and an LSD and I'd be all in on that...

Would a bong be good enough for you? ;-)

Love that red color on Mazdas. Superb.

Order the mica blue and you don't need to drop - that's practically metalflake paint!

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-19-2018 07:57
Cars like the Mazda 6 are a revelation as to how good a mid-priced sedan can be, but their over all popularity seems to be fading, and Ford's momentous decision to leave the sedans tells the story.

honduh
Profile for honduh
Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-19-2018 08:44
JeffX wrote:
honduh wrote:

Yeah it's clearly designed to be torque heavy but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's diesel-like. And I wouldn't even say it's "gobs" of torque - the 310 number sounds impressive but I really want to see a dyno plot to see how long that peak really holds. It doesn't feel to be very long. I will be interested to see the 0-60 times for this car. It really didn't feel too much better than mid-high 6's, but then again maybe it was running regular unleaded and not fully broken in. Or maybe it's just that I'm getting too accustomed to driving the Type R, particularly after the reflash.

Hmm...thatís interesting. I noticed from your picture of the gauges it seemed it was in Sport mode? Did you notice the tranny trying to hold onto revs more or did you try manually shifting? I wonder if the tranny behavior also affected the perceptions.

Iíll have to go for a test drive at some point.

Honda1
Profile for Honda1
Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-19-2018 09:04
Too small for a family car and too expensive. No Apple CarPlay.
Trip
Profile for Trip
Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-19-2018 10:56
Fair comments overall. Hereís a few of my own observations. I had a 2016 GT for 3 years and traded for a 2018 GT-Reserve a few weeks ago.

I agree the torque isnít ďdiesel likeĒ but it pulls strongly. Power delivery and a muted cabin make the car deceptively quick. Less than 1,000 miles so I havenít pushed it too hard yet. I think the dealer put 87 in the first tank. Iíve filled up with 93 since and have noticed it pulls a bit harder on the highway when passing. Could just be the engine loosening up a bit or me tipping into the throttle harder as I get used to it.

Handling felt softer at first but the sensations are misleading. The interior is so quiet and NVH has been substantially improved - everything feels isolated. But same roads, same speeds and the 2018 takes them just as well as the 2016. Corners flat. Steering feels good and is quick but a little soft on center which hints at the weak link: tires. In hard corners I can feel the rear squish and wiggle like the road turned to marshmallow. TireRack categorizes the Falkens as ďCUV/Crossover Touring All SeasonĒ. WTF??!? Iíll be switching them out for Conti DWS or Michelin Sports. Iíll report back on handling later.

Interior in the GT-R black and aluminum is awesome. Clean. Uncluttered. Comfortable. Quiet. I didnít want to spend the extra $$ for upgraded leather, surround camera, and parking sensors on the Signature. The. GT-R has vented seats, HUD, LED lights inside and out, etc... all the toys I wanted anyway.

Note... Toyota and Mazda were some of the last hold outs with AA and CarPlay. Something about disagreeing with Apple et al about data handling/tracking, whatever .... They finally caved. 2018 Mazdas will start coming with CarPlay. For early buyers like me, most trim levels will get the upgrade for free.

On that note, the stereo (pun intended) is very good. The Bose in the 2016 was front heavy and no bass. Itís been retuned, tweeters added to the front doors to pull the sound stage into the cabin, and bass much improved.

Other interior details I like.... LED puddle lamps in all 4 doors, auto up/down on all windows (2016 had this), all cubbies are felt or rubber lined, ventilated seats are awesome and keep the family jewels cool and mildly entertained. For family duty itís fine without being typical mainstream and adds a dose of sportiness and exclusivity. The only issue... the sleek, low roofline makes you bend quite a bit to buckle the car seat. But Tripp junior gets in and out by himself mostly now so itís fine. For adult passengers, plenty of room back there otherwise. Small nitpick....I wish the rear seat heater buttons were on the doors like in the Accord rather than the armrest. With 3 people in back, they canít be used.

Other cars I crossed shopped... Lexus GS, Alfa Romeo Guilia, A6 and for shits and giggles TLX. TLX was tempting for its value/features but didnít feel as premium as the others ; wasnít impressed. Alfa was awesome but too small for car seat duty. I was looking for CPO GSs but the right color/package combination never showed up. A6 was a little more than I wanted to spend. The Mazda compared favorably with the GS and Guilia (minus RWD).

Canít wait until the engine breaks in and I get new rubber. Feel free to ask questions....

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-19-2018 12:16
Which TLX did you look at?

The V6 SH-AWD Tech Advance.. etc.. with the upgraded red (sort of) leather seats looks very nice. It has all the toys and the interior is very nice... runs about $46K though. I was _this_ close on getting it for next year.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-19-2018 13:08
Trip wrote:
Fair comments overall. Hereís a few of my own observations. I had a 2016 GT for 3 years and traded for a 2018 GT-Reserve a few weeks ago.

I agree the torque isnít ďdiesel likeĒ but it pulls strongly. Power delivery and a muted cabin make the car deceptively quick. Less than 1,000 miles so I havenít pushed it too hard yet. I think the dealer put 87 in the first tank. Iíve filled up with 93 since and have noticed it pulls a bit harder on the highway when passing. Could just be the engine loosening up a bit or me tipping into the throttle harder as I get used to it.

Handling felt softer at first but the sensations are misleading. The interior is so quiet and NVH has been substantially improved - everything feels isolated. But same roads, same speeds and the 2018 takes them just as well as the 2016. Corners flat. Steering feels good and is quick but a little soft on center which hints at the weak link: tires. In hard corners I can feel the rear squish and wiggle like the road turned to marshmallow. TireRack categorizes the Falkens as ďCUV/Crossover Touring All SeasonĒ. WTF??!? Iíll be switching them out for Conti DWS or Michelin Sports. Iíll report back on handling later.

Interior in the GT-R black and aluminum is awesome. Clean. Uncluttered. Comfortable. Quiet. I didnít want to spend the extra $$ for upgraded leather, surround camera, and parking sensors on the Signature. The. GT-R has vented seats, HUD, LED lights inside and out, etc... all the toys I wanted anyway.

Note... Toyota and Mazda were some of the last hold outs with AA and CarPlay. Something about disagreeing with Apple et al about data handling/tracking, whatever .... They finally caved. 2018 Mazdas will start coming with CarPlay. For early buyers like me, most trim levels will get the upgrade for free.

On that note, the stereo (pun intended) is very good. The Bose in the 2016 was front heavy and no bass. Itís been retuned, tweeters added to the front doors to pull the sound stage into the cabin, and bass much improved.

Other interior details I like.... LED puddle lamps in all 4 doors, auto up/down on all windows (2016 had this), all cubbies are felt or rubber lined, ventilated seats are awesome and keep the family jewels cool and mildly entertained. For family duty itís fine without being typical mainstream and adds a dose of sportiness and exclusivity. The only issue... the sleek, low roofline makes you bend quite a bit to buckle the car seat. But Tripp junior gets in and out by himself mostly now so itís fine. For adult passengers, plenty of room back there otherwise. Small nitpick....I wish the rear seat heater buttons were on the doors like in the Accord rather than the armrest. With 3 people in back, they canít be used.

Other cars I crossed shopped... Lexus GS, Alfa Romeo Guilia, A6 and for shits and giggles TLX. TLX was tempting for its value/features but didnít feel as premium as the others ; wasnít impressed. Alfa was awesome but too small for car seat duty. I was looking for CPO GSs but the right color/package combination never showed up. A6 was a little more than I wanted to spend. The Mazda compared favorably with the GS and Guilia (minus RWD).

Canít wait until the engine breaks in and I get new rubber. Feel free to ask questions....

I'm betting that the car I drove was 87, or at best a blend of the delivery fill and a topping off with 93. I went WOT a number of times, in sport mode, including a long freeway merge ramp. It's plenty quick, it's just not as quick as I was expecting based on the numbers. With the Accord 2.0 solidly in the 5 second range I figured with an extra half liter of displacement, the Mazda should be right there with it. That doesn't seem to be the case. I'm guessing the Skyactiv 2.5T runs a bit lower boost and thus has less turbo lag, but the Accord's responsive 10AT with the huge ratio spread helps mitigate those effects. I didn't really get a chance to give the 6 a proper back road workout, so I didn't get a real feel for how the transmission behaves under that sort of duress.

You make a good point about the tires. I was a little surprised to see that the OEM fitment was Falkens. Maybe these have other characteristics (and cost figures) that were attractive to Mazda. Like I said, fundamentally the chassis is still very good. It just felt like everything had been softened a bit, like maybe the bushings were softer, as well as the springs and dampers. The new Accord is very good on the twisties as well, but it's still too soft for my tastes (Sadly, this is an affliction that seems to be striking many recent Hondas, actually). I suppose it's possible those CUV tires on the 6 could create that much squish to generate that sort of feel but I wouldn't be surprised if they've mildly relaxed some of the other key calibrations.

As for the Android Auto/Carplay thing, I don't think it's a HUGE deal, it's just notable for its absence when it's in practically everything nowadays. If they would just create a Waze app that paired with the phone that would be good enough for me. But that's good that they're planning to include it in the future.

To your other point, it is very impressive how comprehensively the 6 is equipped. The little details are impressive in today's era of clear cost cutting in the details (I remember when Honda deleted a $0.30 rubber pad from the coin tray in '08 Civics after it had been standard in '06 and '07 models), and the 6 really stands out in this respect at its price point. It's not perfect, however, and if you dig a little deeper, you can see some of the "nice" things are a little bit of window dressing, but at least they try harder than many of the other makers which seem to be like "You want that nice shit? Go buy our more expensive model".

The back seat room is okay but with the seats adjusted the way I normally drive, it's noticeably smaller than the Accord (and for that matter the Camry and Altima) and seems to be more on par with the Civic (which isn't bad at all). It's interesting to me because the Accord and 6 share the exact same wheelbase and the 6 is actually a 1/2" longer than the Accord.

Overall the 6 Signature is a very compelling package for the money, but (like the Accord 2.0T) it could be turned into nearly the perfect "enthusiast dad car" with a few minor tweaks.

Trip
Profile for Trip
Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-19-2018 15:55
JeffX wrote:
... "enthusiast dad car" ...

That pretty much sums up my needs. Until strapping a car seat on the trunk lid of a Miata is legal, gotta find an all around practical car that isnít a total snooze to drive. At this price point, there arenít many options. I could afford more but would rather collect verbs, not nouns as a friend says.

The transmission is amazing. So far it has the same logic and feel of my 2016. Itís always in the right gear. Quick to shift. What I donít like about the 8+ gear transmissions out there is that theyíre too fussy to drive hard. Using the paddle shifters feels more like using castanets than shifting with so many gears to row up and down.

Other than music I couldnít care less about connectivity. Sirius sounds terrible to my ears and is too expensive for what it is. The entire family can use Apple Music on as many devices as we like. And it sounds better. /SiriusRant Being able to talk hands free is convenient on long drives. The attraction for me for CarPlay is up to date maps with traffic.

Trip
Profile for Trip
Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-19-2018 16:22
TonyEX wrote:

The V6 SH-AWD Tech Advance.. etc.. with the upgraded red (sort of) leather seats looks very nice. It has all the toys and the interior is very nice... runs about $46K though. I was _this_ close on getting it for next year.

It was the V6 Advance SH-AWD I drove a few times. The features were impressive but the styling inside and out didnít click for me. The engine was awesome. The handling was solid. From reading some of your posts actually, I tried charging into corners rather than braking and the SH-AWD was pretty cool.

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-19-2018 16:24
I would like to see two different "Signature" models: Sport and Luxury. Each with a different color palette, wheel design, engine and suspension tuning.

Premium execution. Pick your poison.

Trip
Profile for Trip
Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-19-2018 20:09
NealX wrote:
I would like to see two different "Signature" models: Sport and Luxury. Each with a different color palette, wheel design, engine and suspension tuning.

Premium execution. Pick your poison.

This would be a great option.

I would have paid the extra $$ for LSD, stiffer suspenders, etc.... but didnít want to pay the extra for the fancy stuff.

Fingers crossed the AWD/RWD next gen comes to fruition.

HDNBenjamin
Profile for HDNBenjamin
Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-20-2018 14:57
not bad but for me, I think I'd choose the new accord sport over this.
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-21-2018 00:09
Trip wrote:
TonyEX wrote:

It was the V6 Advance SH-AWD I drove a few times. The features were impressive but the styling inside and out didnít click for me. The engine was awesome. The handling was solid. From reading some of your posts actually, I tried charging into corners rather than braking and the SH-AWD was pretty cool.

The outside is no longer insulting, in some colors with the aero kit it actually looks nice.

The interior looks dated now when compared with the Clarity and Accord.

But, if you can manage the 5th to 4th downshift by using Sport Manual mode and you do haul ass into turns everything becomes irrelevant.

The Tech with the expensive, but useful, LED fog lights is the package I prefer (our 16 was like that).

Then you got the audio and those perfect steering wheel controls.

At this point, it's a perfect car for a lease. IMHO. We'll see what how it changes at its FMC. I really hope the RDX is not where they plan to go.

Oh, it's also a great car in bad weather. There's nothing like barreling into a turn late at night during a very long drive, on a foggy, wet mountain freeway and suddenly realizing that you've cooked it - shit! 30 miles too fast!!- and just giving it power, steering out and somehow driving out of the turn as if you were going 40 miles slower... WTH?

While the wife sleeps... no drama-rama car. It's really all a no drama car. Styling, handling, you name it. It just goes where you point it.

Better than cool, actually. The more you drive it the more you wish they'd given it a nicer exterior because you really want to love the car.

If I get one in the future, I think I'll name it No Drama Rama.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-21-2018 00:58
TonyEX wrote:
Trip wrote:
TonyEX wrote:

The outside is no longer insulting, in some colors with the aero kit it actually looks nice.

But, if you can manage the 5th to 4th downshift by using Sport Manual mode and you do haul ass into turns everything becomes irrelevant.

The Tech with the expensive, but useful, LED fog lights is the package I prefer (our 16 was like that).

At this point, it's a perfect car for a lease. IMHO. We'll see what how it changes at its FMC. I really hope the RDX is not where they plan to go.

Oh, it's also a great car in bad weather. There's nothing like barreling into a turn late at night during a very long drive, on a foggy, wet mountain freeway and suddenly realizing that you've cooked it - shit! 30 miles too fast!!- and just giving it power, steering out and somehow driving out of the turn as if you were going 40 miles slower... WTH?

While the wife sleeps... no drama-rama car. It's really all a no drama car. Styling, handling, you name it. It just goes where you point it.

Better than cool, actually. The more you drive it the more you wish they'd given it a nicer exterior because you really want to love the car.

At $46K there are other options that I would rather have.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-21-2018 11:28
owequitit wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
Trip wrote:
TonyEX wrote:

Lots of options... NONE with torque vectoring AWD.

FlanaganID
Profile for FlanaganID
Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-21-2018 11:52

The Buick Regal GS is a pretty direct competitor with torque vectoring AWD. It's apparently the same unit in the Focus RS.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-21-2018 12:16
FlanaganID wrote:

The Buick Regal GS is a pretty direct competitor with torque vectoring AWD. It's apparently the same unit in the Focus RS.

Yep. It seems that the SH-AWD period of "exclusivity" is no more. The GKN system is finding its way into a growing number of products.

THX17201
Profile for THX17201
Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-21-2018 18:16
JeffX wrote:

Yep. It seems that the SH-AWD period of "exclusivity" is no more. The GKN system is finding its way into a growing number of products.

And they wasted that period of exclusivity, unfortunately.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-22-2018 01:56
TonyEX wrote:
owequitit wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
Trip wrote:
TonyEX wrote:

Torque vectoring is available in many products these days.

Acura pissed away their marketing opportunity 10 years ago. Hell, even Honda products are starting to get it.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-22-2018 05:17
Brake vectoring is quite common.

True torque vectoring is available on only a few cars - and as far as I'm aware - only Audi quattros where the 'sports differential' is an option. The Alpina B5 combines AWD with 4WS, which is rather an interesting approach.

So Honda's only remaining USP is still there, no matter how homeopathically they try to dilute it.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-22-2018 09:10
Nick GravesX wrote:

True torque vectoring is available on only a few cars - and as far as I'm aware - only Audi quattros where the 'sports differential' is an option. The Alpina B5 combines AWD with 4WS, which is rather an interesting approach.

So Honda's only remaining USP is still there, no matter how homeopathically they try to dilute it.

the GKN Twinster seems to be a reasonable facsimile of the SH-AWD setup, and the Twinster can currently be found in the RR Evoque, LR Disco Sport, Opel/Vauxhaul/Buick, Focus RS, Lincoln Conti and MKZ, and Caddy XT5. Per the most recent GKN press release that I could locate (dated 18 April 2017)

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-22-2018 09:44
JeffX wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:

the GKN Twinster seems to be a reasonable facsimile of the SH-AWD setup, and the Twinster can currently be found in the RR Evoque, LR Disco Sport, Opel/Vauxhaul/Buick, Focus RS, Lincoln Conti and MKZ, and Caddy XT5. Per the most recent GKN press release that I could locate (dated 18 April 2017)

That nicely demonstrates my problem - to me that's a Ford Boy-racer-Special or an Old Man's Vauxhall. Actually, the current one looks like they've actually bothered, to be fair.

Of the others mentioned, I'd be interested in a J, but not in the LR bit.

Funny, isn't it? I cannot really see past a Honda TLX V6 SH-AWD!

I'm sure however, there will be plenty more along in the future.

Thread Page - [1] 2
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0