[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Team Honda Research wins ST2 at NASA Nationals with their NC1 NSX
More.......................
Acura releases details on refreshed 2019 ILX
More.......................
2019 Accord loses EX-L Navi and 1.5T Touring trims
More.......................
American Honda Reports August Sales Increase as Trucks Smash Previous Records
More.......................
2019 NSX Debuts in Monterey with Design Updates, Chassis Enhancements and Expanded Color Palette
More.......................
2019 Civic trim change summary
More.......................
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
More.......................
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
More.......................
General Talk --> Re: Honda Inspire test drive video
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Ford "pulls an Acura" in their latest commercial
Join Discussion......
Videos --> Re: 2018 Acura NSX Review - The Best Everyday Supercar
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Looking at a 2018 Accord Sport!
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Toyota Supra - First Drive
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: A big finger to handbrake turns
Join Discussion......
TLX --> My TLX so far
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Aragon MotoGP Spoiler
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Mazda CX-5 to get 2.5 Turbo Engine?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: C&D Lightning Lap 2018
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Are cars selling faster because of threat of tariffs?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: And sometimes a Sedan is actually a Truck
Join Discussion......
CR-Z --> Re: Honda's Biggest Mistake? Why Now Is The Time To Buy The Misunderstood CR-Z
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2018 Honda F1 PU
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: All-New Cadillac 2019 XT4
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
Read Article....................
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec
Read Article....................

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Today's Reading Links > > Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author
  Post New Thread
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-09-2018 16:02
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Think about it... Oil and Natural Gas are plentiful and cheap.

Yet, the jerks who run my State are no better than the Power Company managers in Guatemala or the Philippines.. Our supply of electricity is declining in absolute terms... yet it's worse when you take into account that the new sources are solar and not reliable nor online when most needed.

Of course, at the same time, they are pushing BEVs and PHEVs.

http://kfgo.com/news/articles/2018/may/09/california-power-supplies-will-be-tight-this-summer-grid-operator/

"In addition, the ISO said 860 MW of generation retired since last summer, including 837 MW of gas-fired resources. Energy firms added 692 MW of new power sources since last year but 60 percent of that was solar, which will not supply much when supplies are tight in the evenings."

You might want to note that most of the anti car, anti power commies come from San Franciskovich where AC is not needed.

HondaForever
Profile for HondaForever
Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-09-2018 18:21
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
TonyEX wrote:
Think about it... Oil and Natural Gas are plentiful and cheap.

Yet, the jerks who run my State are no better than the Power Company managers in Guatemala or the Philippines.. Our supply of electricity is declining in absolute terms... yet it's worse when you take into account that the new sources are solar and not reliable nor online when most needed.

Of course, at the same time, they are pushing BEVs and PHEVs.

http://kfgo.com/news/articles/2018/may/09/california-power-supplies-will-be-tight-this-summer-grid-operator/

"In addition, the ISO said 860 MW of generation retired since last summer, including 837 MW of gas-fired resources. Energy firms added 692 MW of new power sources since last year but 60 percent of that was solar, which will not supply much when supplies are tight in the evenings."

You might want to note that most of the anti car, anti power commies come from San Franciskovich where AC is not needed.


How soon we forget. So was smog...

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-air-pollution-0428-pictures-photogallery.html


KaizenDo
Profile for KaizenDo
Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-09-2018 19:26
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Buy more BEVs... they do no emissions... electricity is green and comes out the power plug... Elon Musk is salvation...

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-09-2018 19:33
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
HondaForever wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
Think about it... Oil and Natural Gas are plentiful and cheap.

Yet, the jerks who run my State are no better than the Power Company managers in Guatemala or the Philippines.. Our supply of electricity is declining in absolute terms... yet it's worse when you take into account that the new sources are solar and not reliable nor online when most needed.

Of course, at the same time, they are pushing BEVs and PHEVs.

http://kfgo.com/news/articles/2018/may/09/california-power-supplies-will-be-tight-this-summer-grid-operator/

"In addition, the ISO said 860 MW of generation retired since last summer, including 837 MW of gas-fired resources. Energy firms added 692 MW of new power sources since last year but 60 percent of that was solar, which will not supply much when supplies are tight in the evenings."

You might want to note that most of the anti car, anti power commies come from San Franciskovich where AC is not needed.


How soon we forget. So was smog...

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-air-pollution-0428-pictures-photogallery.html




And your point is?

That was 28 years ago.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-09-2018 19:39
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
KaizenDo wrote:
Buy more BEVs... they do no emissions... electricity is green and comes out the power plug... Elon Musk is salvation...



Most Excellent. ;-D

I assume that's before the Kool Aid fully took effect... the initial head rush.

Have you been to San Franciskovich?

KaizenDo
Profile for KaizenDo
Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-10-2018 07:44
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I guess so Tony.

I haven't been to Franciskovich, but I've been to Merkelistan. ;)

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-10-2018 12:16
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Tony, you should really just move to Texas. Then you can get your power from natural gas and wind.
Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-10-2018 12:29
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
CarPhreakD wrote:
Tony, you should really just move to Texas. Then you can get your power from natural gas and wind.


I heard they are expecting power shortages in Texas this summer. Not sure how true that is.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-10-2018 12:50
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Plenty of wind!
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-10-2018 13:43
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
superchg2 wrote:
Plenty of wind!


Well... Sacramentograd generates MORE hot wind than Austin... but it's getting close, getting too close.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-12-2018 02:11
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Dren wrote:
CarPhreakD wrote:
Tony, you should really just move to Texas. Then you can get your power from natural gas and wind.


I heard they are expecting power shortages in Texas this summer. Not sure how true that is.



I hadn't heard anything about that, and if they are, it is simply because they can't add infrastructure as fast as they are adding population, so it should be temporary.

I also saw a local political add here today that was saying that Texans pay more for electricity in their deregulated market, but I think that is a bunch of hooey also and was not my experience over there (I even got my power from a company that only bought wind and solar energy).

shingles
Profile for shingles
Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-12-2018 07:52
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
owequitit wrote:
Dren wrote:
CarPhreakD wrote:
Tony, you should really just move to Texas. Then you can get your power from natural gas and wind.


I heard they are expecting power shortages in Texas this summer. Not sure how true that is.



I hadn't heard anything about that, and if they are, it is simply because they can't add infrastructure as fast as they are adding population, so it should be temporary.

I also saw a local political add here today that was saying that Texans pay more for electricity in their deregulated market, but I think that is a bunch of hooey also and was not my experience over there (I even got my power from a company that only bought wind and solar energy).



I pay right around $0.06 per kwh all in in the greater Houston area.
They claim something like 15% renewable energy... but how do I REALLY know when it's all dumped in the grid?


jes98gsr
Profile for jes98gsr
Zero Emissions = Pollution Export    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-12-2018 17:51
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Thanks guys for the laughs! Good medicine.

Every time I see a Tesla owner with the preposterous factory license plate blank, I feel compelled to provide some background on the first law of thermodynamics. But it is not worth my time. There is no reasoning with mindless zealots.


KaizenDo
Profile for KaizenDo
Re: Zero Emissions = Pollution Export    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-13-2018 04:47
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Electricity should work pretty much the same all around the world. We have plenty of Tesla nutjobs in Germany as well, who claim "Duh, I'm buying green electricity from an eco provider". These are the times when you have to repeat again and again "A power-mix is called so, because it combines all the energy sources of a country and calculates an average".

It only gets better when you have to tell them, that they are not charging their car on solar power, if they plug it in around evening times. They only do so, if they keep their car parked below their solar power array the whole day long - but why have they bought an car then in the first place?

Bullwinkle
Profile for Bullwinkle
Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2018 15:30
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
TonyEX wrote:
Think about it... Oil and Natural Gas are plentiful and cheap.

Yet, the jerks who run my State are no better than the Power Company managers in Guatemala or the Philippines.. Our supply of electricity is declining in absolute terms... yet it's worse when you take into account that the new sources are solar and not reliable nor online when most needed.


First, Oil is not nearly as cheap as it was. Current spot price as I write this is $71.06 per barrel.

That said, what is happening all over the US and Canada (I a not an expert on California) is that Coal plants are being decommissioned early and are being replaced with a combination of Natural Gas (which is cheap and relatively clean) combined with wind and solar.

The reason this is happening is that Wind & Solar are getting cheaper and cheaper. Wind in particular is getting more efficient and less expensive per kilowatt hour to produce with second-gen equipment.

Natural Gas is used as a supplement in such scenarios.

It's business. It's not political.

Now, is your power grid provider crying "wolf!"? Maybe.

But it appears from reading the article that the reason for the power shortage is because of possible decreased power from Hydro because of lack of snow.

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2018 15:58
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Wind turbines are getting large enough that they're providing a pretty reliable base load. I think solar is really only useful in urban environments, where they provide shade while powering things "at the source".

Regardless, solar is temporarily dead in the United States.

The sooner coal is eliminated, the better for everyone. Natural gas will have staying power due to the need for quick adjusting 'peak' power generation above the base load.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2018 17:10
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Bullwinkle wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
Think about it... Oil and Natural Gas are plentiful and cheap.

Yet, the jerks who run my State are no better than the Power Company managers in Guatemala or the Philippines.. Our supply of electricity is declining in absolute terms... yet it's worse when you take into account that the new sources are solar and not reliable nor online when most needed.


First, Oil is not nearly as cheap as it was. Current spot price as I write this is $71.06 per barrel.

That said, what is happening all over the US and Canada (I a not an expert on California) is that Coal plants are being decommissioned early and are being replaced with a combination of Natural Gas (which is cheap and relatively clean) combined with wind and solar.

The reason this is happening is that Wind & Solar are getting cheaper and cheaper. Wind in particular is getting more efficient and less expensive per kilowatt hour to produce with second-gen equipment.

Natural Gas is used as a supplement in such scenarios.

It's business. It's not political.

Now, is your power grid provider crying "wolf!"? Maybe.

But it appears from reading the article that the reason for the power shortage is because of possible decreased power from Hydro because of lack of snow.



No.... lack of maintenance! The snow pack has been, and it is, more than sufficient.

But, what is the current level at Lake Oroville... pretty low huh? On account of the construction and other concerns that were NOT addressed in years past.

The good news is that the Trump administration intends to raise Shasta Dam over the objection of the Green Fascists in San Francislovich. According to Trump "it's a FEDERAL dam"...

That will be very good for the State!


Also, the State of California, specifically from Kern County down south to the LA Basin and off the coast, is loaded with oil derricks. It extends out to Santa Maria and Santa Barbara as well. Heck, go drive on the 60 and you see oil being pumped!

No, what's happening here is not due to lack of fuels and money, it's all because of socialist dogma.

Bullwinkle
Profile for Bullwinkle
Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2018 17:32
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
TonyEX wrote:
Bullwinkle wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
Think about it... Oil and Natural Gas are plentiful and cheap.

Yet, the jerks who run my State are no better than the Power Company managers in Guatemala or the Philippines.. Our supply of electricity is declining in absolute terms... yet it's worse when you take into account that the new sources are solar and not reliable nor online when most needed.


First, Oil is not nearly as cheap as it was. Current spot price as I write this is $71.06 per barrel.

That said, what is happening all over the US and Canada (I a not an expert on California) is that Coal plants are being decommissioned early and are being replaced with a combination of Natural Gas (which is cheap and relatively clean) combined with wind and solar.

The reason this is happening is that Wind & Solar are getting cheaper and cheaper. Wind in particular is getting more efficient and less expensive per kilowatt hour to produce with second-gen equipment.

Natural Gas is used as a supplement in such scenarios.

It's business. It's not political.

Now, is your power grid provider crying "wolf!"? Maybe.

But it appears from reading the article that the reason for the power shortage is because of possible decreased power from Hydro because of lack of snow.



No.... lack of maintenance! The snow pack has been, and it is, more than sufficient.

But, what is the current level at Lake Oroville... pretty low huh? On account of the construction and other concerns that were NOT addressed in years past.

The good news is that the Trump administration intends to raise Shasta Dam over the objection of the Green Fascists in San Francislovich. According to Trump "it's a FEDERAL dam"...

That will be very good for the State!


Also, the State of California, specifically from Kern County down south to the LA Basin and off the coast, is loaded with oil derricks. It extends out to Santa Maria and Santa Barbara as well. Heck, go drive on the 60 and you see oil being pumped!

No, what's happening here is not due to lack of fuels and money, it's all because of socialist dogma.



I can't speak to the socialist dogma involved in the dam. I've only read a little about it. I can't imagine that they are going to raise the height of it anytime soon.

As to the oil, no one is building oil-fired power plants these days. During 2016 (the last year for which numbers are available), less than 1% of the electricity produced in the US came from oil or distillates of oil. Most of that came from plants built prior to 1980. It's just too expensive.

It's not dogma. It's economics.

Bullwinkle
Profile for Bullwinkle
Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2018 17:36
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
CarPhreakD wrote:
Regardless, solar is temporarily dead in the United States.


What makes you say that?

The sooner coal is eliminated, the better for everyone. Natural gas will have staying power due to the need for quick adjusting 'peak' power generation above the base load.



I totally agree. As would anyone who has ever lived in the immediate vicinity of a giant coal plant.

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-15-2018 08:27
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Bullwinkle wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
Think about it... Oil and Natural Gas are plentiful and cheap.

Yet, the jerks who run my State are no better than the Power Company managers in Guatemala or the Philippines.. Our supply of electricity is declining in absolute terms... yet it's worse when you take into account that the new sources are solar and not reliable nor online when most needed.


First, Oil is not nearly as cheap as it was. Current spot price as I write this is $71.06 per barrel.

That said, what is happening all over the US and Canada (I a not an expert on California) is that Coal plants are being decommissioned early and are being replaced with a combination of Natural Gas (which is cheap and relatively clean) combined with wind and solar.

The reason this is happening is that Wind & Solar are getting cheaper and cheaper. Wind in particular is getting more efficient and less expensive per kilowatt hour to produce with second-gen equipment.

Natural Gas is used as a supplement in such scenarios.

It's business. It's not political.

Now, is your power grid provider crying "wolf!"? Maybe.

But it appears from reading the article that the reason for the power shortage is because of possible decreased power from Hydro because of lack of snow.



It absolutely is political. The politics are driving the business.

Wind still provides low availability and capacity. It still has to be subsidized. Coal and NG are providing the bulk of the base load. It's largely dependent on NG pricing as to which is dispatched first.

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-15-2018 09:18
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
So... is Texas' enormous and cheap wind power capacity due to good ol' Texans picking themselves up by their own bootstraps, or are those bootstraps federally subsidized?

Bullwinkle wrote:
CarPhreakD wrote:
Regardless, solar is temporarily dead in the United States.


What makes you say that?

The sooner coal is eliminated, the better for everyone. Natural gas will have staying power due to the need for quick adjusting 'peak' power generation above the base load.



I totally agree. As would anyone who has ever lived in the immediate vicinity of a giant coal plant.



Tariffs. Granted, some companies are trying to maneuver a bit around it by buying up US companies, but they assemble cells in the States, not manufacture them (so still subject to tariffs). It's just kind of funny because most of the cells are manufactured in Malaysia, not China. Maybe Tony's soviet republic of California, having passed a new mandate for homes after 2020 to include panels, will increase sales.

That being said, because of the tariffs I would expect utilities to push more towards other tech like wind, since the installation cost vs. panel cost skews greatly towards panel costs in utilities.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2018 00:12
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
CarPhreakD wrote:
So... is Texas' enormous and cheap wind power capacity due to good ol' Texans picking themselves up by their own bootstraps, or are those bootstraps federally subsidized?
..

Tariffs. Granted, some companies are trying to maneuver a bit around it by buying up US companies, but they assemble cells in the States, not manufacture them (so still subject to tariffs). It's just kind of funny because most of the cells are manufactured in Malaysia, not China. Maybe Tony's soviet republic of California, having passed a new mandate for homes after 2020 to include panels, will increase sales.

That being said, because of the tariffs I would expect utilities to push more towards other tech like wind, since the installation cost vs. panel cost skews greatly towards panel costs in utilities.



(1) Wind sucks... it's not always reliable and it kills eagles and birds. If you drive East towards Palm Springs on the 10 you see hundreds of windmills... about half of them are shut down. Then as you come up behind Oakland, you see a few giants running but they look like a bad acid trip... seriously. And the cost is horrendous.

(2) Ah Tovarish... the market will do exactly the opposite what the commies in the Sacramentograd Duma and the San Franciskovich Party HQ are planning. The cost of solar panel cells will go skyhigh when the demand kicks up. The the moneys stolen from the taxpayers to establish yet another Climate Change (*) Rebate will run out and they will steal even more.

I'm gonna be out of here soon. How's the weather in Georgia?

(*) As I write this, I got a BS "dear customer" letter from SoCal Edison about Climate Change. They are complete assholes with not a clue about what Science is about. And it's my hard earned money they taxed out of me. ASSHOLES.

It can not come soon enough.. the day I take the freeway out of the State. Adios Pendejos!




owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2018 00:38
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
CarPhreakD wrote:
So... is Texas' enormous and cheap wind power capacity due to good ol' Texans picking themselves up by their own bootstraps, or are those bootstraps federally subsidized?

Bullwinkle wrote:
CarPhreakD wrote:
Regardless, solar is temporarily dead in the United States.


What makes you say that?

The sooner coal is eliminated, the better for everyone. Natural gas will have staying power due to the need for quick adjusting 'peak' power generation above the base load.



I totally agree. As would anyone who has ever lived in the immediate vicinity of a giant coal plant.



Tariffs. Granted, some companies are trying to maneuver a bit around it by buying up US companies, but they assemble cells in the States, not manufacture them (so still subject to tariffs). It's just kind of funny because most of the cells are manufactured in Malaysia, not China. Maybe Tony's soviet republic of California, having passed a new mandate for homes after 2020 to include panels, will increase sales.

That being said, because of the tariffs I would expect utilities to push more towards other tech like wind, since the installation cost vs. panel cost skews greatly towards panel costs in utilities.



I don't see Texas getting any special federal subsidies vs anyone else. I think it just comes down to allowing competition.

In Dallas, I had a choice of at least 3-4 power companies vs 1 everywhere else I have lived. As a result, kWH were cheaper.

I will have to go see if I can find what I was paying in TX, but someone here said $.06 per kWH. I just looked at Nevada and it is $.11 per kWH. I believe I was paying around $.11-.12 kWH in AZ when I left about 5 years ago.

longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2018 09:22
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
owequitit wrote:
CarPhreakD wrote:
So... is Texas' enormous and cheap wind power capacity due to good ol' Texans picking themselves up by their own bootstraps, or are those bootstraps federally subsidized?

Bullwinkle wrote:
CarPhreakD wrote:
Regardless, solar is temporarily dead in the United States.


What makes you say that?

The sooner coal is eliminated, the better for everyone. Natural gas will have staying power due to the need for quick adjusting 'peak' power generation above the base load.



I totally agree. As would anyone who has ever lived in the immediate vicinity of a giant coal plant.



Tariffs. Granted, some companies are trying to maneuver a bit around it by buying up US companies, but they assemble cells in the States, not manufacture them (so still subject to tariffs). It's just kind of funny because most of the cells are manufactured in Malaysia, not China. Maybe Tony's soviet republic of California, having passed a new mandate for homes after 2020 to include panels, will increase sales.

That being said, because of the tariffs I would expect utilities to push more towards other tech like wind, since the installation cost vs. panel cost skews greatly towards panel costs in utilities.



I don't see Texas getting any special federal subsidies vs anyone else. I think it just comes down to allowing competition.

In Dallas, I had a choice of at least 3-4 power companies vs 1 everywhere else I have lived. As a result, kWH were cheaper.

I will have to go see if I can find what I was paying in TX, but someone here said $.06 per kWH. I just looked at Nevada and it is $.11 per kWH. I believe I was paying around $.11-.12 kWH in AZ when I left about 5 years ago.



I am paying .06-.08 depending on time of day in Texas. Of course one needs to pick the right plan.



https://www.choosetexaspower.org/?s_clid=77234f1375f77ec05aa4d30c50c192ea&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwZv8z-uM2wIVkYRpCh0PWwrZEAAYAyAAEgLPSPD_BwE

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2018 11:21
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
TonyEX wrote:
CarPhreakD wrote:
So... is Texas' enormous and cheap wind power capacity due to good ol' Texans picking themselves up by their own bootstraps, or are those bootstraps federally subsidized?
..

Tariffs. Granted, some companies are trying to maneuver a bit around it by buying up US companies, but they assemble cells in the States, not manufacture them (so still subject to tariffs). It's just kind of funny because most of the cells are manufactured in Malaysia, not China. Maybe Tony's soviet republic of California, having passed a new mandate for homes after 2020 to include panels, will increase sales.

That being said, because of the tariffs I would expect utilities to push more towards other tech like wind, since the installation cost vs. panel cost skews greatly towards panel costs in utilities.



(1) Wind sucks... it's not always reliable and it kills eagles and birds. If you drive East towards Palm Springs on the 10 you see hundreds of windmills... about half of them are shut down. Then as you come up behind Oakland, you see a few giants running but they look like a bad acid trip... seriously. And the cost is horrendous.

(2) Ah Tovarish... the market will do exactly the opposite what the commies in the Sacramentograd Duma and the San Franciskovich Party HQ are planning. The cost of solar panel cells will go skyhigh when the demand kicks up. The the moneys stolen from the taxpayers to establish yet another Climate Change (*) Rebate will run out and they will steal even more.

I'm gonna be out of here soon. How's the weather in Georgia?

(*) As I write this, I got a BS "dear customer" letter from SoCal Edison about Climate Change. They are complete assholes with not a clue about what Science is about. And it's my hard earned money they taxed out of me. ASSHOLES.

It can not come soon enough.. the day I take the freeway out of the State. Adios Pendejos!






Whether or not wind sucks, the reality is that in places like Texas, it has already displaced other forms of power (providing ~15% of total grid capacity). I don't know about California and what generation of turbine they are using, but if they are the "hundreds of dorky small turbines" then they are at least a few decades behind the latest and greatest several story tall turbines.

And if the claims that Wind Power in Texas are not subsidized... then they've proven their competitive worth.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2018 11:56
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
longhorn wrote:
owequitit wrote:
CarPhreakD wrote:
So... is Texas' enormous and cheap wind power capacity due to good ol' Texans picking themselves up by their own bootstraps, or are those bootstraps federally subsidized?

Bullwinkle wrote:
CarPhreakD wrote:
Regardless, solar is temporarily dead in the United States.


What makes you say that?

The sooner coal is eliminated, the better for everyone. Natural gas will have staying power due to the need for quick adjusting 'peak' power generation above the base load.



I totally agree. As would anyone who has ever lived in the immediate vicinity of a giant coal plant.



Tariffs. Granted, some companies are trying to maneuver a bit around it by buying up US companies, but they assemble cells in the States, not manufacture them (so still subject to tariffs). It's just kind of funny because most of the cells are manufactured in Malaysia, not China. Maybe Tony's soviet republic of California, having passed a new mandate for homes after 2020 to include panels, will increase sales.

That being said, because of the tariffs I would expect utilities to push more towards other tech like wind, since the installation cost vs. panel cost skews greatly towards panel costs in utilities.



I don't see Texas getting any special federal subsidies vs anyone else. I think it just comes down to allowing competition.

In Dallas, I had a choice of at least 3-4 power companies vs 1 everywhere else I have lived. As a result, kWH were cheaper.

I will have to go see if I can find what I was paying in TX, but someone here said $.06 per kWH. I just looked at Nevada and it is $.11 per kWH. I believe I was paying around $.11-.12 kWH in AZ when I left about 5 years ago.



I am paying .06-.08 depending on time of day in Texas. Of course one needs to pick the right plan.



https://www.choosetexaspower.org/?s_clid=77234f1375f77ec05aa4d30c50c192ea&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwZv8z-uM2wIVkYRpCh0PWwrZEAAYAyAAEgLPSPD_BwE



that's not bad, but what's the base monthly fee?

Here in Georgia we have to pay something like $20.00/month and then $0.08/kWh.



Last edited by JeffX on 05-17-2018 22:05
S600=Dream
Profile for S600=Dream
Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2018 20:37
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Where I'm at there is a big monopoly power company that had a pilot program for EV owners where it was dirt cheap to charge overnight and more expensive during "peak" hours than an average customer.

The program doesn't exist any more, unfortunately. I would have taken advantage of it.

As is, it's 11 cents/kWh here on average. The power company does charge less at night for electricity, which is when I charge my car, and I'll be perfectly honest I have seen almost no difference year to year in our bill since I've had it.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2018 23:36
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
S600=Dream wrote:
Where I'm at there is a big monopoly power company that had a pilot program for EV owners where it was dirt cheap to charge overnight and more expensive during "peak" hours than an average customer.

The program doesn't exist any more, unfortunately. I would have taken advantage of it.

As is, it's 11 cents/kWh here on average. The power company does charge less at night for electricity, which is when I charge my car, and I'll be perfectly honest I have seen almost no difference year to year in our bill since I've had it.



I looked at the plan they had here that was targeted towards EV owners and it ends up being a terrible deal compared to the standard plan, whether you own an EV or not. It made zero sense. They jacked up the daytime rates really high and only cut the night rate by a small fraction of a penny. They've scrapped that plan, though and now there's some other weird plan that seems just as bad if not worse.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-18-2018 02:00
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
JeffX wrote:
longhorn wrote:
owequitit wrote:
CarPhreakD wrote:
So... is Texas' enormous and cheap wind power capacity due to good ol' Texans picking themselves up by their own bootstraps, or are those bootstraps federally subsidized?

Bullwinkle wrote:
CarPhreakD wrote:
Regardless, solar is temporarily dead in the United States.


What makes you say that?

The sooner coal is eliminated, the better for everyone. Natural gas will have staying power due to the need for quick adjusting 'peak' power generation above the base load.



I totally agree. As would anyone who has ever lived in the immediate vicinity of a giant coal plant.



Tariffs. Granted, some companies are trying to maneuver a bit around it by buying up US companies, but they assemble cells in the States, not manufacture them (so still subject to tariffs). It's just kind of funny because most of the cells are manufactured in Malaysia, not China. Maybe Tony's soviet republic of California, having passed a new mandate for homes after 2020 to include panels, will increase sales.

That being said, because of the tariffs I would expect utilities to push more towards other tech like wind, since the installation cost vs. panel cost skews greatly towards panel costs in utilities.



I don't see Texas getting any special federal subsidies vs anyone else. I think it just comes down to allowing competition.

In Dallas, I had a choice of at least 3-4 power companies vs 1 everywhere else I have lived. As a result, kWH were cheaper.

I will have to go see if I can find what I was paying in TX, but someone here said $.06 per kWH. I just looked at Nevada and it is $.11 per kWH. I believe I was paying around $.11-.12 kWH in AZ when I left about 5 years ago.



I am paying .06-.08 depending on time of day in Texas. Of course one needs to pick the right plan.



https://www.choosetexaspower.org/?s_clid=77234f1375f77ec05aa4d30c50c192ea&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwZv8z-uM2wIVkYRpCh0PWwrZEAAYAyAAEgLPSPD_BwE



that's not bad, but what's the base monthly fee?

Here in Georgia we have to pay something like $20.00/month and then $0.08/kWh.



I had a company named Green Mountain Energy, and I don't remember an absurd base fee (which my NV plan also has, as did my AZ plan).

In fact, even in a not-very-well-insulated apartment in winter and summer with electric heat and A/C, I don't remember ever paying more than $100 a month.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-18-2018 17:43
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
owequitit wrote:
CarPhreakD wrote:
So... is Texas' enormous and cheap wind power capacity due to good ol' Texans picking themselves up by their own bootstraps, or are those bootstraps federally subsidized?

Bullwinkle wrote:
CarPhreakD wrote:
Regardless, solar is temporarily dead in the United States.


What makes you say that?

The sooner coal is eliminated, the better for everyone. Natural gas will have staying power due to the need for quick adjusting 'peak' power generation above the base load.



I totally agree. As would anyone who has ever lived in the immediate vicinity of a giant coal plant.



Tariffs. Granted, some companies are trying to maneuver a bit around it by buying up US companies, but they assemble cells in the States, not manufacture them (so still subject to tariffs). It's just kind of funny because most of the cells are manufactured in Malaysia, not China. Maybe Tony's soviet republic of California, having passed a new mandate for homes after 2020 to include panels, will increase sales.

That being said, because of the tariffs I would expect utilities to push more towards other tech like wind, since the installation cost vs. panel cost skews greatly towards panel costs in utilities.



I don't see Texas getting any special federal subsidies vs anyone else. I think it just comes down to allowing competition.

In Dallas, I had a choice of at least 3-4 power companies vs 1 everywhere else I have lived. As a result, kWH were cheaper.

I will have to go see if I can find what I was paying in TX, but someone here said $.06 per kWH. I just looked at Nevada and it is $.11 per kWH. I believe I was paying around $.11-.12 kWH in AZ when I left about 5 years ago.



After the Enron fiasco, the Calimexistan apparatchiks signed laws that make our large electrical utilizes monopolies... we no longer have the option of buying our electricity elsewhere.

That, plus the high regulation, is why our prices are so high, the quality of our service so poor and process so ossified and expensive.

If you want to fuck up something, let the government regulate it via its crony capitalism.



 
Thread Page - [1] 2
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0