[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda's new sub-brand Honda e
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: My first helmet !
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Honda closing UK plant that builds the Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Original NSX prototype only had a SOHC V6 without VTEC
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Rumours that Honda will close its Swindon plant
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Sunny came home with a mission
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Type R bike carrier
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > American Honda Reports April Sales Results > > Re: Slap at Ford

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

brassrox
Profile for brassrox
Slap at Ford [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-01-2018 18:30
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
You have to love Arcangeli's not-so-thinly-veiled slap at Ford:

"Even as we increase our sales of light trucks to record levels, we remain committed to delivering a balanced lineup of cars and light-truck offerings for our customers," said Henio Arcangeli, Jr., senior vice president of the Automobile Division & general manager of Honda Sales.

"Our flexible manufacturing capabilities allow us to evolve our production mix in real-time to meet these continued shifts in consumer demand. Moreover, we recognize not all customers in the market want a truck or SUV, so growth opportunities still exist within the passenger car side of our business."

Insightman
Profile for Insightman
Re: Slap at Ford [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-01-2018 20:53
Ford: Cough (87,011 mega-profitable F-trucks sold in April), cough.
Insightman
Profile for Insightman
Re: Slap at Ford [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-01-2018 21:11
Oops, those were March sales of F-trucks
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Slap at Ford [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-02-2018 09:31
So, Honda dumped untold millions into a dead segment and their effort isn't selling?

Slap indeed.

Hondu
Profile for Hondu
Re: Slap at Ford [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-02-2018 12:22
DCR wrote:
So, Honda dumped untold millions into a dead segment and their effort isn't selling?

Slap indeed.

Or they did the absolute right thing by putting the Civic and Accord on the same platform, so they have increased manufacturing flexibility and lower costs to make money even in a declining market. Also, as GM and Ford abandon the sedan market (and maybe others), they will gain even more market share and therefore higher profits.

acuracrz
Profile for acuracrz
Re: Slap at Ford [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-02-2018 15:18
I agree with that assessment ^ Sales for the Accord are improving, they are not dumping them into fleets, no cash on the hood, the car is gaining momentum. They will be fine. I am seeing more on the road and yes, while they did not nail it perfectly there is room for improvement for MMC. It is really a nice looking car in person in certain colors and especially the Sport.
TheDiscriminator
Profile for TheDiscriminator
Re: Slap at Ford [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-02-2018 19:21
DCR wrote:

Slap indeed.

Dead segment? I guess you don’t know the difference between declining and dead. As history has showed, this may well be a temporary trend that will reverse itself; so deciding to stop everything may be a shot on the foot in the long-term.

Besides, who are we kidding? If Honda ceased investing on or stopped being committed to cars, you’d be the first one in line to whine.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Slap at Ford [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-03-2018 01:10
I'm sorry you didn't get that.
Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: Slap at Ford [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-03-2018 17:19
I believe you may be referring to the NSX. 5 sold is atrocious, they need to get some excitement back into the NSX fast a bump to over 600 HP will help. Unfortunately brand cache is the main culprit with the NSX as it is competitive in its field Still think they need another coupe based on this chassis as well to help recoup cost.
Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Slap at Ford [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2018 19:07
Mikeydred wrote:
I believe you may be referring to the NSX. 5 sold is atrocious, they need to get some excitement back into the NSX fast a bump to over 600 HP will help. Unfortunately brand cache is the main culprit with the NSX as it is competitive in its field Still think they need another coupe based on this chassis as well to help recoup cost.

The number of 5 sold in total in April seems a little odd. I know my dealership has sold at least four since the middle of March. Or maybe they traded one or all to other dealerships or something but they're now gone.

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: Slap at Ford [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-05-2018 20:43
Grace141 wrote:
Mikeydred wrote:

The number of 5 sold in total in April seems a little odd. I know my dealership has sold at least four since the middle of March. Or maybe they traded one or all to other dealerships or something but they're now gone.

yeah, read a report that stated it was due to the switchover to 18s which are mostly built to order sales count once delivered, also last month was heavy for exports. Apparently there is only 9 in inventory across the country, never checked to verify.My original points still stand though.

Honda-D
Profile for Honda-D
Re: Slap at Ford [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2018 18:03
DCR wrote:

Slap indeed.

I think people has misinterpreted Ford's intent.

Ford will continue to build cars for other markets, so the R&D will still be there. They just won't manufacture them here. And if in a decade or so down the road and it is shown that we can repair damages from trade wars, it could be back.

As Trump is closing the Mexico border and NAFTA is going bust, low margin products are a risk. Fiat Chrysler already cancelled the 200 and the Dart. There is a chance that Charger and Challenger (and 300 I guess) that are base on old Mercedes platforms will end as well. 300 may end up on a Alfa platform since it's a premium product whiel the other 2 probably just disappears. Meanwhile GM is ending Korean factory that are in charge of Sonic and Cruze. So even if they are not saying it, they are cancelling cars.

And I don't think it's a bad idea as Trump dismantle all trade policies and isolate USA. You can't afford to build cheap stuff low margin stuff going forward.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0