[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Driveô
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
General Talk --> Re: Said Goodbye to the MDX Today
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Will Honda join Aston Martin and Red Bull with Sports Cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Z6 head studs
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - Toro Rosso STR14 Pictures
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Honda Fit Render
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Facts about HMA - 60 years of AHM - 50 years of CB750
Join Discussion......
Audio & Electronics --> Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Kandi EV Approved for US
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Honda Accord 2.0 Touring test drive

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Honda Accord 2.0 Touring test drive    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-09-2018 15:52
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
http://www.burlappcar.com/2018/05/honda-accord-20-touring-test-drive.html

Over 40 mph on the hwy, so says he. States more polished than BMW 3.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Honda Accord 2.0 Touring test drive    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-09-2018 16:55
Bring in the cash incentives and these fine cars will begin to sell. Until then, the Camry will own this segment of the market, which seems to be rapidly shrinking.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Honda Accord 2.0 Touring test drive    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-09-2018 17:19
longhorn wrote:

I'm just waiting to see what the next TLX will be like. Waiting to see if they will follow this very elegant interior design.

This is the first Accord, EVER, that has an interior that matches the Acuras. (*) This is the interior design of the Clarity and it's really an adult design.

But it still lacks ELS and SH-AWD.

I could be happy with this car, for real, but I really, REALLY, want SH-AWD without that doggone 9AT.

They will peel my fingers off the wheel of the Black Mamba with such an SH-AWD sedan.

NOTE to AHM.. if you're reading this... DON'T FUCK UP the next ILX/TLX interior like you did with that crazy RDX. Follow the Clarity/Ridgeline... make then elegant and powerful.

Hell... take this design into the Pilot/Ridgeline/Odyssey/Civic/CRV too....

(*) OK, the '90 Accord SE did come close to the '93 Vigor. But most Accords have tended to look 'cheaper' than the corresponding Acura. Not this one!

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: Honda Accord 2.0 Touring test drive    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-09-2018 17:24
The 2.0 Liter 10 speed combo is rated at 22/32MPG.
I got up to 26 in the city. (Mostly around 23/24). And had no problem getting slightly over 40MPG on the freeway.
These are really good numbers for such a powerful car. Better than the similar 2.0 Liter in the Regal. And about the same as the much less powerful Mazda6.

that's pretty nice.

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: Honda Accord 2.0 Touring test drive    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-09-2018 17:28
Hondarulez wrote:
I got up to 26 in the city. (Mostly around 23/24). And had no problem getting slightly over 40MPG on the freeway.
These are really good numbers for such a powerful car. Better than the similar 2.0 Liter in the Regal. And about the same as the much less powerful Mazda6.

that's pretty nice.

I thought the EPA ratings seem low but interesting to see it does much better in the real world.

I was a bit surprised with the less than ideal EPA ratings of the Accord 2.0T 10AT when my CTR is getting 25mpg for combined driving already in the real world.

And that's with way more power, 4 gears less, more aggressive gearing, and much less emphasis on fuel economy.

JonBoy
Profile for JonBoy
Re: Honda Accord 2.0 Touring test drive    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-09-2018 20:18
Hondarulez wrote:
Hondarulez wrote:

that's pretty nice.

I thought the EPA ratings seem low but interesting to see it does much better in the real world.

I was a bit surprised with the less than ideal EPA ratings of the Accord 2.0T 10AT when my CTR is getting 25mpg for combined driving already in the real world.

And that's with way more power, 4 gears less, more aggressive gearing, and much less emphasis on fuel economy.

It's quite a bit lighter than an Accord, though, and that pays good dividends in city driving.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Honda Accord 2.0 Touring test drive    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-10-2018 01:13
TonyEX wrote:
longhorn wrote:

I'm just waiting to see what the next TLX will be like. Waiting to see if they will follow this very elegant interior design.

This is the first Accord, EVER, that has an interior that matches the Acuras. (*) This is the interior design of the Clarity and it's really an adult design.

I could be happy with this car, for real, but I really, REALLY, want SH-AWD without that doggone 9AT.

They will peel my fingers off the wheel of the Black Mamba with such an SH-AWD sedan.

NOTE to AHM.. if you're reading this... DON'T FUCK UP the next ILX/TLX interior like you did with that crazy RDX. Follow the Clarity/Ridgeline... make then elegant and powerful.

(*) OK, the '90 Accord SE did come close to the '93 Vigor. But most Accords have tended to look 'cheaper' than the corresponding Acura. Not this one!

Not true Tony. The 1990-1993 Accord interior was pretty much identical in terms of design and materials/build quality as any Acura of the time. Same with the 1994-1997 Accord vs Acuras up to the early 2000's.

They had fewer features, but similar quality.

The 7th gen Accord was also very, very close to the 3rd gen TL in terms of quality and the 8th gen Accord doesn't have the design, but does have the materials and quality of the TLX. As for design, I would say that Acura's 2 screen setup is equally as bad as Honda's and that features are again the separator. The ILX was awful.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Honda Accord 2.0 Touring test drive    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-10-2018 01:18
Hondarulez wrote:

that's pretty nice.

I really want to try one of these for a while without having to buy one.

That is surprisingly not that much better than our VCM 6AT V6 8th gen. That typically does similar in the City, but a few less on the highway over a long period of time. Would like to see what the 2.0T would produce on the highway and what the 10AT would do to V6 MPG on the highway.

Chris_6MT
Profile for Chris_6MT
Re: Honda Accord 2.0 Touring test drive    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-10-2018 07:58
longhorn wrote:

Since itís warmed up outside, I have averaged 32mpg over my last 2 tanks with my 2.0T 6MT. Which is pretty cool because I was averaging 21-23 on premium in my TL SH AWD 6MT, and this car pulls waaaay harder.

My best is 37.7. This car easily pulls low to mid 40ís highway, but it does require some patience. I typically get 38-42mpg on my 22 mile commute to and from work, including warm up. Itís about 18 miles highway and 4 miles suburbs with HEAVY traffic.

My fuelly - http://www.fuelly.com/car/honda/accord/2018/chrishs2000/760238

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Honda Accord 2.0 Touring test drive    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-10-2018 08:51
Chris_6MT wrote:
longhorn wrote:

Since itís warmed up outside, I have averaged 32mpg over my last 2 tanks with my 2.0T 6MT. Which is pretty cool because I was averaging 21-23 on premium in my TL SH AWD 6MT, and this car pulls waaaay harder.

My best is 37.7. This car easily pulls low to mid 40ís highway, but it does require some patience. I typically get 38-42mpg on my 22 mile commute to and from work, including warm up. Itís about 18 miles highway and 4 miles suburbs with HEAVY traffic.

That's really impressive mileage. My '06 Si has averaged 28 m.p.g.

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Honda Accord 2.0 Touring test drive    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-10-2018 09:46
owequitit wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
longhorn wrote:

Not true Tony. The 1990-1993 Accord interior was pretty much identical in terms of design and materials/build quality as any Acura of the time. Same with the 1994-1997 Accord vs Acuras up to the early 2000's.

The 7th gen Accord was also very, very close to the 3rd gen TL in terms of quality and the 8th gen Accord doesn't have the design, but does have the materials and quality of the TLX. As for design, I would say that Acura's 2 screen setup is equally as bad as Honda's and that features are again the separator. The ILX was awful.

This is not right. The 8G Accord interior was so cheap it's what prompted me to get out of my '10 Accord 18 mo. into a 36 mo. lease and into my '12 TSX. The 9G Accord, which is related, still wasn't up to the level of the TLX in terms of materials. The carpets, door panel plastics, and dash cover (among other things) are not as nice. I'd say they are equal in terms of overall build quality, however.

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Honda Accord 2.0 Touring test drive    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-10-2018 10:41
superchg2 wrote:
Chris_6MT wrote:
longhorn wrote:

The thing with the Si is, I also get 28 mpg, but it doesn't seem to matter if I tiptoe the throttle or if I'm foot to the floor in 3rd gear on the highway repeatedly. It seems perpetually getting 28 mpg no matter what.

FlanaganID
Profile for FlanaganID
Re: Honda Accord 2.0 Touring test drive    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-10-2018 10:55
Chris_6MT wrote:
longhorn wrote:

What's your top and average speeds on the highway? I've historically gotten ~32MPG highway in my 9G V6 6AT at ~80 top but average ~65-70 with traffic. Looking heavily at the 2.0T 6MT and the Si sedan. I know the Si's overachieving track record, but wondering if the 2.0T would be an improvement from what I am getting.

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Honda Accord 2.0 Touring test drive    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-10-2018 11:48
longhorn wrote:

He said engaging, not polished; if the feel at turn-in that the Civic has made its way to the Accord I can understand why one might say that. The 3 series' steering in default mode is a bit too soft.
As for the interior, it doesn't shock me at all that an Accord could be as solid as the BMW, it probably clicks less, too. The Accord's [interior] design is done well by any standard.

Design
Profile for Design
Re: Honda Accord 2.0 Touring test drive    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-10-2018 12:46
For now I'd call the Accord vs. Acura comparo a temporary overlap in Honda's redesign. I think once we see the new sedans on the global platform, Acura will move up another notch. Of course, Honda has botched the Acura moniker in years past; not getting my hopes up.

The Accord is a solid platform. I'd consider one to replace the wife's Toyota.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Honda Accord 2.0 Touring test drive    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-10-2018 15:15
superchg2 wrote:
Chris_6MT wrote:
longhorn wrote:

I really should join fuelly.com.... be nice and post the numbers from the FCEV, add the 06 IMA Civic and then... blow everybody's average by adding the Black Mamba...

... she gets 13.5 mpg around town, and that's with the ECO switched on. I dare not find out what she'll get in full power mode. On the road, which she rarely sees, she gets 25 mpg.

I figure I'd last one month at fuelly.com before being unceremoniously booted out.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Honda Accord 2.0 Touring test drive    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-11-2018 02:29
gofast182 wrote:
owequitit wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
longhorn wrote:

This is not right. The 8G Accord interior was so cheap it's what prompted me to get out of my '10 Accord 18 mo. into a 36 mo. lease and into my '12 TSX. The 9G Accord, which is related, still wasn't up to the level of the TLX in terms of materials. The carpets, door panel plastics, and dash cover (among other things) are not as nice. I'd say they are equal in terms of overall build quality, however.

Meant 9th gen Accord and I can't say that I agree.

I found the TLX to be pretty much as disappointing as the RLX and ILX with regard to their quality versus a Honda product and especially in relation to some other luxury brands *cough Audi* *cough Lexus*.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Honda Accord 2.0 Touring test drive    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-11-2018 07:40
owequitit wrote:
gofast182 wrote:
owequitit wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
longhorn wrote:

I found the TLX to be pretty much as disappointing as the RLX and ILX with regard to their quality versus a Honda product and especially in relation to some other luxury brands *cough Audi* *cough Lexus*.

We just get into the same old discussion on price. I thought the styling and the appearance and feel of interior materials of the TLX I had for a day were nice and more sophisticated than any Accord I've driven. I found the TLX interior a big step up in sophistication compared to any Accord including the 9G. If I cared enough, I'd still buy a 4-cylinder TLX rather than a new Accord but the new Accord interior looks very nice.

I think opinions of the 8G Accord interior depended greatly on personal expectations and definition of quality. In terms of durability, the interior of my 8G Accord including the driver's seat leather still looks new at 90k miles with the leather being by far the most durable in any Honda or Acura we've owned. From there, the interior looks less expensive, of less value than those of the other cars I shopped at the time such as the TSX, 3-series, and C-class. The TSX was $5k more expensive and the German cars I considered were at least $20k more expensive, and the latter had quite a bit less rear seat leg room and cargo volume. Purchases are compromises and while I could have picked a more expensive car I had set my budget. I'd say the 8G Accords selling used today are great cars for the the money.

I get the complaints about the 8G Accord center stack controls. The bank of switches looks more like some of the home HiFi gear of the 2000s than switchgear in a nice car. It's all logically laid out though with just a few quirks like people expecting the large round knob to be the radio volume control and some of the device controls having no real function otherwise. It's all an un-Honda-like design but it works and I like it well enough for the car.

I see the 6G Accord and 6G Civic as the last of the old-fashioned Hondas. From what I've seen of the new Accord, the interior looks similar to a Mercedes design with some of the materials still having a volume sales appearance. The gauge cluster and radio pod-thing look nicer than any of the competitor sedans including the Mazda6, and I really like that the 6 interior has strong visual links to that of the MX-5.

As for the interior of the 9G or 10G Accord being nicer than that of the RLX, I don't agree with that at all.

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Honda Accord 2.0 Touring test drive    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-11-2018 08:29

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Honda Accord 2.0 Touring test drive    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-11-2018 11:01
In terms of design, there's no question the TLX is lagging the other two pictured there.

In terms of materials, TLX probably lags, too, at this point. Versus the 9G Accord, there are certain materials that with an honest comparison one can't say are the same as Accord.

To me, it's a shame that the Honda always seems to lead Acura in new product introduction because it means that an older Acura is always hanging around when a fresh new Honda is out; 2 years when your "premium" isn't so premium.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Honda Accord 2.0 Touring test drive    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-11-2018 13:22
owequitit wrote:
gofast182 wrote:
owequitit wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
longhorn wrote:

Straw man argument... we're discussing Honda vs Acura cars.

The interior design and implementation in Acura has always been a notch above Honda. Since March of '86.

The 86, 90, 94 Integras had dashes and instrumentation that was above the toy like in the contemporaries (notable exception the '86 LXi, but after that they went "Honda"). Same with the RSX.

The Vigor, TLs and CLs we've owned all outclassed the Accords of their time.

In the 00s and 10s, the TL and TLX interiors are simply heads and shoulders above as well. Better choice of materials, less chrome, less plastic, heck.. larger NAVI screens, better looking dashes, nicer instruments.. heck, in this respect the TSX was hobbled in comparison with the TLX and TL.

The steering wheel controls in the TLX are superb.

I've had Acuras since the second week of their birth and Hondas since '76. And I change them a lot. Hondas tend to be a really nice family design while the Acuras always are a step above them, a bit more grown up, more restrained.

Notable exceptions are the current Clarity, Accord and even the new Civic. This latest generation of Honda cars have truly upped the design interior while I hope the Tokyo Chrome in the new RDX is just an aberration.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Honda Accord 2.0 Touring test drive    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-11-2018 18:11
You are comparing apples to oranges. Not Fair!

I think we've all agreed that the new Accord (and Clarity) are a giant step forward for their interior design.

If you compare the current gen TLX with the previous gen Accord you immediately notice the latter's cheapness of all that "chrome" around the center of the dash and the better gauge design on the dash of the TLX.

BTW: I still prefer the dual screen display. I like having a dedicated screen for the NAVI and another place for the wife to mess around while you are driving.

Insofar the new RDX, I think it's forward center console is overdesigned and has too much chrome.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Honda Accord 2.0 Touring test drive    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-11-2018 21:05
gofast182 wrote:
In terms of design, there's no question the TLX is lagging the other two pictured there.

In terms of materials, TLX probably lags, too, at this point. Versus the 9G Accord, there are certain materials that with an honest comparison one can't say are the same as Accord.

To me, it's a shame that the Honda always seems to lead Acura in new product introduction because it means that an older Acura is always hanging around when a fresh new Honda is out; 2 years when your "premium" isn't so premium.

Might as well compare the current Accord with my old 76 CVCC....

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Honda Accord 2.0 Touring test drive    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-12-2018 01:47
Grace141 wrote:
owequitit wrote:
gofast182 wrote:
owequitit wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
longhorn wrote:

We just get into the same old discussion on price. I thought the styling and the appearance and feel of interior materials of the TLX I had for a day were nice and more sophisticated than any Accord I've driven. I found the TLX interior a big step up in sophistication compared to any Accord including the 9G. If I cared enough, I'd still buy a 4-cylinder TLX rather than a new Accord but the new Accord interior looks very nice.

I think opinions of the 8G Accord interior depended greatly on personal expectations and definition of quality. In terms of durability, the interior of my 8G Accord including the driver's seat leather still looks new at 90k miles with the leather being by far the most durable in any Honda or Acura we've owned. From there, the interior looks less expensive, of less value than those of the other cars I shopped at the time such as the TSX, 3-series, and C-class. The TSX was $5k more expensive and the German cars I considered were at least $20k more expensive, and the latter had quite a bit less rear seat leg room and cargo volume. Purchases are compromises and while I could have picked a more expensive car I had set my budget. I'd say the 8G Accords selling used today are great cars for the the money.

I get the complaints about the 8G Accord center stack controls. The bank of switches looks more like some of the home HiFi gear of the 2000s than switchgear in a nice car. It's all logically laid out though with just a few quirks like people expecting the large round knob to be the radio volume control and some of the device controls having no real function otherwise. It's all an un-Honda-like design but it works and I like it well enough for the car.

I see the 6G Accord and 6G Civic as the last of the old-fashioned Hondas. From what I've seen of the new Accord, the interior looks similar to a Mercedes design with some of the materials still having a volume sales appearance. The gauge cluster and radio pod-thing look nicer than any of the competitor sedans including the Mazda6, and I really like that the 6 interior has strong visual links to that of the MX-5.

As for the interior of the 9G or 10G Accord being nicer than that of the RLX, I don't agree with that at all.

A whole lot more "nope" Grace. Don't go twisting my words and then trying to say that I "attacked" you.

1) The 8th gen was a POS. One of the worst interiors in Honda history to be frank. Not only was the design relatively poor, but the quality was subpar. There is a litany of issues with it if you go search any Accord forum, from squeaks and rattles (ours had many), to failing sunvisors, the cheap silver painted plastic, cheap secondary plastics, the hard touch dash, and THE worst carpet I have seen in ANY Honda product EVER. Yeah, the leather lasted pretty well, but the rest was garbage (should I say "leather trimmed?"). That doesn't even get into the ergonomic mess that was the control layout on the center stack. It was functional once you adapted to it, but when I get back into a properly ergonomic Honda product, I realize just how bad it was.

So if you consider that quality, then you really aren't the Honda fanatic you pretend to be because ANY Honda fan knows deep down it was a massive disappointment and a HUGE nod to cost cutting.

2) I didn't say the Accord interior was styled better than the Acuras, nor did I say it was HIGHER quality.

I said, it was NOT styled as well as the Acura's (although not by what I would consider a huge margin, since Acura's interiors aren't great right now either) and that the build quality was the same with materials being very similar. Yeah, the Acura products upgraded some of the secondary materials a little bit, but it wasn't in keeping with the price differential. I.E. I did not see twice the quality in an RLX interior when I compared it directly to the Accord. I didn't even find the margin of higher quality to be that much higher at all in fact. The leather felt similar, the secondary plastics were similarly hard, and damn if 90% of the switch gear and secondary parts weren't straight from the Honda parts bin.

As for the ILX, that thing was a turd in every way shape and form and Acura has earned 100% of the derision, criticism and sales on that one. I like it because it was a "conventional" design, but the quality was no better than the 2013+ Civic, and frankly, I thought the detailing, texturing, and overall ambiance in the Civic was much better resolved than the ILX.

Acuras used to have nice, deep pile carpet and now? Not so much.

3) As for 10th gen Accord vs anything Acura? Not even a contest. The Accord's interior is seriously very close to Audi level in terms of materials quality, design, and switchgear. The carpet is still a little bit cheap, and I was surprised that the rear door panels are 100% hard plastic where the front has soft touch along the top. I was also surprised that Honda chose not to continue the "carbon" look texturing in the rear on the Sport, instead just putting a plain, black plastic strip on the rear door that didn't match the front. Pretty lame oversights on a $30-34K car to be honest.

Meanwhile, Acura is still over-designing their interiors to look like attack of the Transformers.

The Accords is not only simpler, but it looks more elegant and it will age better. The detailing in the Accord is REALLY impressive overall and it reminds me very much of the type of execution you USED to see on Honda/Acura products.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Honda Accord 2.0 Touring test drive    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-12-2018 02:09
TonyEX wrote:
owequitit wrote:
gofast182 wrote:
owequitit wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
longhorn wrote:

Straw man argument... we're discussing Honda vs Acura cars.

The interior design and implementation in Acura has always been a notch above Honda. Since March of '86.

The 86, 90, 94 Integras had dashes and instrumentation that was above the toy like in the contemporaries (notable exception the '86 LXi, but after that they went "Honda"). Same with the RSX.

The Vigor, TLs and CLs we've owned all outclassed the Accords of their time.

In the 00s and 10s, the TL and TLX interiors are simply heads and shoulders above as well. Better choice of materials, less chrome, less plastic, heck.. larger NAVI screens, better looking dashes, nicer instruments.. heck, in this respect the TSX was hobbled in comparison with the TLX and TL.

The steering wheel controls in the TLX are superb.

I've had Acuras since the second week of their birth and Hondas since '76. And I change them a lot. Hondas tend to be a really nice family design while the Acuras always are a step above them, a bit more grown up, more restrained.

Notable exceptions are the current Clarity, Accord and even the new Civic. This latest generation of Honda cars have truly upped the design interior while I hope the Tokyo Chrome in the new RDX is just an aberration.

No Tony, it isn't a strawman just because you want to tell yourself that Acura is a full fledged luxury brand.

1) Acura is very much NOT on par with the competitors they used to be. They lag Lexus, Audi, and now MB in the materials quality and build department. In the early 1990's, BMW and MB were rife with hard plastic, that was shamed by Honda's and Acura's soft touch materials. I remember how disappointed I was in an $80K 1992 420S after having sampled the then new Acura Legend and LS400. They weren't even in the same ballpark. The Mercs had obvious vinyl in places that shouldn't have been, hard plastic, frail bin doors, and buttons and knobs that felt like they were brittle and were going to snap off. Acura had stuff that felt like it would last forever and was lubed in butter. Lexus was about the same.

In fact, when I bought my 2009 Si, I remember looking at a number of cars used and among them were a G35, LS430 (at that time?), 1st gen A6, BMW 3 Series, and my friend had a Mercedes C-Class. The others were a TL (2nd Gen Type-S), RSX and 2nd gen RL. I went with the Si because I liked the character and it fit my budget.

The clear leader in interior quality was Lexus. They were boring, but the detail, fit and finish and overall quality was top. Audi had really good design, felt substantial, looked amazing, but had that "this thing is going to break and that little window switch is going to cost me $400" feeling to it. The RL was almost as good as the Lexus and Audi in terms of overall quality and liked the design of that 2nd gen RL. Everything felt like it would last 100 years. I pretty much ranked them equally because the Acura was the best blend of tasteful design like Audi and Lexus quality. That was frankly the last Acura interior I was blown away by, although I did like the interior on the 3rd gen TL a lot as well (it was too small in back though).

Then, they decided to do "smart luxury" or Cost Cutter Couture, or some other non-sense and their interiors and overall perception of build quality have suffered. I tried to convince myself that it was me, but it just wasn't.

Sorry. I was not impressed by the ILX, the TLX or the RLX in terms of interior quality. If there was any increase in quality, it was tempered by the price difference vs the actual increase.

I won't deny that Acura has other things to offer like ELS, etc, but I just have been underwhelmed by their materials and build quality (among the other facets of the ACA) for quite some time now.

For the record, I have always though BMW was pretty bad in the interior department, and I still think they aren't great. I was impressed by my friends E92, but most of the rest of them weren't what I would consider the pinnacle of quality. Neither was MB for a long time, although their new interiors are pretty amazing compared to the early 90's.

Lexus still has good quality, but the Predator took over the design studio and ate all the crayons.

At this point, the interior that are actually impressing me are Genesis and Audi. I lust after the S4 most of all, but also actually really want to see this new G70. I am mildly interested in the Q50 Red Sport because it looks good and I think it would be fun with the 3.0T. I am mildly interested in a Caddy because I have always liked them from an American standpoint, and I honestly can't say that any single Acura car (save the NSX) even begins to stir my blood. Maybe a new TLXX with a TTV6 and some better styling will change my mind, but I no longer have any anticipation of Acura products.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Honda Accord 2.0 Touring test drive    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-12-2018 08:01
NealX wrote:

Neal, what are your opinions about the styling and appearance of the materials visible in the three images here?

The only complaint I have about the interior of the MX-5 is the controller dials for the radio on the center console between the seats (Club and GT) are difficult to reach. They're obviously better placed in the 6 here.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Honda Accord 2.0 Touring test drive    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-12-2018 08:36
owequitit wrote:
Grace141 wrote:
owequitit wrote:

A whole lot more "nope" Grace. Don't go twisting my words and then trying to say that I "attacked" you.

1) The 8th gen was a POS. One of the worst interiors in Honda history to be frank. Not only was the design relatively poor, but the quality was subpar. There is a litany of issues with it if you go search any Accord forum, from squeaks and rattles (ours had many), to failing sunvisors, the cheap silver painted plastic, cheap secondary plastics, the hard touch dash, and THE worst carpet I have seen in ANY Honda product EVER. Yeah, the leather lasted pretty well, but the rest was garbage (should I say "leather trimmed?"). That doesn't even get into the ergonomic mess that was the control layout on the center stack. It was functional once you adapted to it, but when I get back into a properly ergonomic Honda product, I realize just how bad it was.

So if you consider that quality, then you really aren't the Honda fanatic you pretend to be because ANY Honda fan knows deep down it was a massive disappointment and a HUGE nod to cost cutting.

2) I didn't say the Accord interior was styled better than the Acuras, nor did I say it was HIGHER quality.

I said, it was NOT styled as well as the Acura's (although not by what I would consider a huge margin, since Acura's interiors aren't great right now either) and that the build quality was the same with materials being very similar. Yeah, the Acura products upgraded some of the secondary materials a little bit, but it wasn't in keeping with the price differential. I.E. I did not see twice the quality in an RLX interior when I compared it directly to the Accord. I didn't even find the margin of higher quality to be that much higher at all in fact. The leather felt similar, the secondary plastics were similarly hard, and damn if 90% of the switch gear and secondary parts weren't straight from the Honda parts bin.

As for the ILX, that thing was a turd in every way shape and form and Acura has earned 100% of the derision, criticism and sales on that one. I like it because it was a "conventional" design, but the quality was no better than the 2013+ Civic, and frankly, I thought the detailing, texturing, and overall ambiance in the Civic was much better resolved than the ILX.

Acuras used to have nice, deep pile carpet and now? Not so much.

3) As for 10th gen Accord vs anything Acura? Not even a contest. The Accord's interior is seriously very close to Audi level in terms of materials quality, design, and switchgear. The carpet is still a little bit cheap, and I was surprised that the rear door panels are 100% hard plastic where the front has soft touch along the top. I was also surprised that Honda chose not to continue the "carbon" look texturing in the rear on the Sport, instead just putting a plain, black plastic strip on the rear door that didn't match the front. Pretty lame oversights on a $30-34K car to be honest.

Meanwhile, Acura is still over-designing their interiors to look like attack of the Transformers.

The Accords is not only simpler, but it looks more elegant and it will age better. The detailing in the Accord is REALLY impressive overall and it reminds me very much of the type of execution you USED to see on Honda/Acura products.

Well, I agree about the ILX. I found the '12 Civic EX-L I test drove to be a nicer drive with a more upscale interior than the '13 ILX base. The center stack in the ILX had a cheap looking sheen on the surface of the plastic. The road noise level inside was much higher than the Civic's too.

The 10G 1.5T EX-L is a more expensive car than my 8G EX-L so, of course, it had better have a much nicer interior. I'd buy the 2.0T EX-L instead though which only increases the price difference.

Chris_6MT
Profile for Chris_6MT
Re: Honda Accord 2.0 Touring test drive    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-12-2018 10:29
FlanaganID wrote:
Chris_6MT wrote:
longhorn wrote:

What's your top and average speeds on the highway? I've historically gotten ~32MPG highway in my 9G V6 6AT at ~80 top but average ~65-70 with traffic. Looking heavily at the 2.0T 6MT and the Si sedan. I know the Si's overachieving track record, but wondering if the 2.0T would be an improvement from what I am getting.

I usually have cruise set at 70 to get around 40mpg. At 80, itíll do 32-34. Thereís a big drop off in speed vs fuel economy with this car, I suspect because some boost is used at higher speeds.

To me there is no contest between the Si and the Accord 2.0T. Itís worth every penny of the $$ difference, especially with the heavy discounts on the Accord. I just wish it had an LSD.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Honda Accord 2.0 Touring test drive    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-12-2018 13:05
Chris_6MT wrote:

To me there is no contest between the Si and the Accord 2.0T. Itís worth every penny of the $$ difference, especially with the heavy discounts on the Accord. I just wish it had an LSD.

Yes. IMHO, that's a significant loss.

If the TLX I4 had SH-AWD then it'd be a nobrainer upgrade.

Civicb18
Profile for Civicb18
Re: Honda Accord 2.0 Touring test drive    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-12-2018 13:31
I strongly prefer the interior design execution of the Accord vs TLX, no contest really. The Accordís interior is cleaner and more sophisticated. The TLX does have better materials overall but the design and presentation donít exploit the material quality like they should.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0