[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
More.......................
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
More.......................
American Honda reports January sales
More.......................
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Driveô
More.......................
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
More.......................
American Honda Reports December Sales
More.......................
American Honda Reports November Sales
More.......................
General Talk --> Re: Said Goodbye to the MDX Today
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Will Honda join Aston Martin and Red Bull with Sports Cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Z6 head studs
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - Toro Rosso STR14 Pictures
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Honda Fit Render
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Facts about HMA - 60 years of AHM - 50 years of CB750
Join Discussion......
Audio & Electronics --> Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Kandi EV Approved for US
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
Read Article....................
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Top 5 Best and Worst Honda/Acura Designs

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 [2]
Author
  Post New Thread
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Top 5 Best and Worst Honda/Acura Designs    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2018 07:46
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Yup, the S2K seemed to evolve the same ideas as the 5G and they both have a timelessness about them. True classics.

With modern proportions, I cannot foresee the style working again.

They sort of did a 'four-door 5G Prelude' with the 4G TL and look what a fucking mess that turned out!

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Top 5 Best and Worst Honda/Acura Designs    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2018 08:59
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Dren wrote:
The NSX and S2000 both are classic.

The 5G Preludes age extremely well. I didn't like them at first, but they have classic lines and still look new on the road:




Yeah I didnít appreciate the 5th gen Prelude design even for awhile after I bought mine. I bought it based upon how it drove, but I actually wasn't much of a fan of the styling at the time. I warmed up to it over time, though. To me, at least, the headlights are the weakest element.

Prion
Profile for Prion
Re: Top 5 Best and Worst Honda/Acura Designs    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2018 09:52
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Top
1) NSX (NA1)
2) S2000 (AP1)
3) Del Sol
4) Prelude (3rd gen)
5) TSX (1st gen)

Honorable Mention: CRX (2nd gen)

Bottom
1) TL (4th gen)
2) CR-V (3rd gen)
3) Accord (7th gen pre-MMC)
4) Pilot (2nd gen pre-MMC)
5) Fit (1st gen USDM)

Dishonorable Mention: ILX

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Top 5 Best and Worst Honda/Acura Designs    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2018 12:15
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
JeffX wrote:
Dren wrote:
The NSX and S2000 both are classic.

The 5G Preludes age extremely well. I didn't like them at first, but they have classic lines and still look new on the road:




Yeah I didnít appreciate the 5th gen Prelude design even for awhile after I bought mine. I bought it based upon how it drove, but I actually wasn't much of a fan of the styling at the time. I warmed up to it over time, though. To me, at least, the headlights are the weakest element.



I always took the headlamps as what they were - a sort of 'becuz racecar' type replacement for the 3G pop-ups that were soon to become illegal. I suppose you could always have had colour-coded daytime-covers made, to make it more convincing.

The 5G could look awkward from some rear 3/4 - something about the C-pillar and the B-pillar angles seemed to jar. More so in photos than in reality.

NSXman
Profile for NSXman
Re: Top 5 Best and Worst Honda/Acura Designs    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2018 12:55
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Nick GravesX wrote:
JeffX wrote:
Dren wrote:
The NSX and S2000 both are classic.

The 5G Preludes age extremely well. I didn't like them at first, but they have classic lines and still look new on the road:




Yeah I didnít appreciate the 5th gen Prelude design even for awhile after I bought mine. I bought it based upon how it drove, but I actually wasn't much of a fan of the styling at the time. I warmed up to it over time, though. To me, at least, the headlights are the weakest element.



I always took the headlamps as what they were - a sort of 'becuz racecar' type replacement for the 3G pop-ups that were soon to become illegal. I suppose you could always have had colour-coded daytime-covers made, to make it more convincing.

The 5G could look awkward from some rear 3/4 - something about the C-pillar and the B-pillar angles seemed to jar. More so in photos than in reality.



That gen Prelude was one of my favorites ever from Honda. I wanted one for a solid 5 years and when things aligned for me to finally own one, it turned out the one I purchased used was not in the shape I thought it was in. Major Bummer.

My favorites:
1. 1G NSX of any year
2. S2000, after rear window changed to glass
3. 3G TL, particularly in Type S form
4. 3G Integra Coupe
5. 5G Prelude

Honorable mention:
1. 2G CL Type S
2. 1G MDX post MMC (clear taillights, twin pipes)
3. TSX (hey, I like both gens)

My least favorite:
1. Crosstour
2. CRZ
3. 1G CL
4. Insight
5. 7G Accord Sedan pre-MMC. The rear always bothered me. (after MMC, you could get 6MT!!)

(Dis)-honorable mention:
1. I'll leave the Del Sol off the top 5, just because I like open air motoring.
2. I can do the ZDX in a couple of colors.


fishchan
Profile for fishchan
Re: Top 5 Best and Worst Honda/Acura Designs    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2018 20:22
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply



What is that spoiler thing near the wipers and what does is do? I'm sure it isn't original on the car (or original accessories).

mad_ox1
Profile for mad_ox1
Re: Top 5 Best and Worst Honda/Acura Designs    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2018 20:56
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Only considering USDM:

1: '98 NSX
2: '03 S2000
3: '08 TSX
4: '93 Legend
5: '01 CR-V

H.M.
'93 Integra
'95 Civic
'93 Accord

1: '09 TL
2: '09 RL
3: '10 Accord Crosstour
4: '14 Insight
5: '15 Pilot

HDNBenjamin
Profile for HDNBenjamin
Re: Top 5 Best and Worst Honda/Acura Designs    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2018 22:05
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Dren wrote:
The NSX and S2000 both are classic.

The 5G Preludes age extremely well. I didn't like them at first, but they have classic lines and still look new on the road:




Same! I thought it was too boxy at first, but now am in love with thrle design. Been looking on craigslist for a used one lol.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Top 5 Best and Worst Honda/Acura Designs    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2018 05:23
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
fishchan wrote:



What is that spoiler thing near the wipers and what does is do? I'm sure it isn't original on the car (or original accessories).



IIRC, it was part of the JDM 'Motegi Kit' which that car is wearing.

I don't think it was offered with the kit over here in UK.

The sharp hood/windscreen join created wiper-lift at high speed (cf cowled wipers) and it was designed to improve the airflow.

JimmyEats
Profile for JimmyEats
Re: Top 5 Best and Worst Honda/Acura Designs    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2018 07:06
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I liked the 5G Prelude immediately. It reminded me of the first generation's design, which I thought was funny, because the first generation hadn't become a style icon, the way the 2nd and 3rd generations had.

I considered buying a 2001, but was told by a friend that it was an old engine in a new car. Is there any credence to that statement?

I ended up buying a 2002 Accord LX sedan, which had a similar hip line as the Prelude. The style of that generation Prelude and Accord reminded me of 90's Acuras.

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Top 5 Best and Worst Honda/Acura Designs    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2018 08:46
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I remember Jeff and I got our '97s at about the same time (21 years ago!) and independently the design influence of the SSM concept car was a factor!
TR
Profile for TR
Re: Top 5 Best and Worst Honda/Acura Designs    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2018 10:33
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Most Beautiful:
1. NSX
2. S2K
3. Legend Coupe 2nd gen.
4. Prelude SH 5th gen.
5. Civic Si 8th gen.

Most Ugly:
1. Element
2. Crosstour
3. CR-V 1st gen.
4. Pilot 1st gen.

The rest are just blah...

lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: Top 5 Best and Worst Honda/Acura Designs    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2018 12:35
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I'll put ugly and bland together.

Best looking
1)1st and 2nd Gen NSX
2)1st and 2nd Gen Acura Legend sedan and coupe
3)3rd Gen Honda Prelude
4)3rd Gen Acura TL
5)Honda S2000

Worst
1)Honda Crosstour
2)2nd Gen Honda Insight
3Acura ILX
4)Not that they are ugly but pre mmc TLX and RLX were just big disappointments and bland compared to previous cars in almost every way, I am one of the few that thinks the 4th Gen TL is a interesting design as long as it has larger wheels, a aftermarket grill really helps too.
5)5th and 9th Generation civic.

qingcong
Profile for qingcong
Re: Top 5 Best and Worst Honda/Acura Designs    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2018 12:58
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Best looking:
1) NSX 1st gen
2) TL 3rd gen
3) Civic Si 8th gen
4) Prelude 3rd gen & Integra 2nd gen
5) NSX 2nd gen

Worst looking:
1) TL 4th gen
2) Crosstour
3) ZDX
4) Euro Civic 9th gen
5) Clarity 2016

luder715
Profile for luder715
Re: Top 5 Best and Worst Honda/Acura Designs    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2018 14:33
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Best:
1) 1st gen NSX before MMC
2) AP2 S2000 (always thought it looked more refined than the AP1)
3) 3rd Gen Prelude post MMC
4) 2nd gen Acura Legend Coupe
5) 8th gen Civic Si Coupe

Worst:
1) TL 4th Gen (amazing package and could get a 6speed manual)
2) Crosstour
3) 10 gen Civic (Honestly think sedan is the worst, followed by the coupe, and finally the hatchback
4) 2012 Civic all body styles
5) 4th gen Prelude

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: Top 5 Best and Worst Honda/Acura Designs    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2018 15:16
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
lexusgs wrote:
I'll put ugly and bland together.

Best looking
1)1st and 2nd Gen NSX
2)1st and 2nd Gen Acura Legend sedan and coupe
3)3rd Gen Honda Prelude
4)3rd Gen Acura TL
5)Honda S2000

Worst
1)Honda Crosstour
2)2nd Gen Honda Insight
3Acura ILX
4)Not that they are ugly but pre mmc TLX and RLX were just big disappointments and bland compared to previous cars in almost every way, I am one of the few that thinks the 4th Gen TL is a interesting design as long as it has larger wheels, a aftermarket grill really helps too.
5)5th and 9th Generation civic.


Yeah the hate for the 4th G TL is unanamios. I am enjoying mine for 9 yrs while I wait for Acura to provide a worthy replacement as nothing in their current sedan lineup matches the overall blend of the TL. Also owned a 3G TL for 5 yrs both brought new and the 4G build quality is way ahead. Other than the wonky overhangs the 4G TL is an interesting design especially at rest, MMC took away some of the edginess that I loved.

I agree with the top picks would add S660 to the list.

Potenza
Profile for Potenza
Re: Top 5 Best and Worst Honda/Acura Designs    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2018 15:56
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I think it's hard to make a list like this without it being dictated in part by nostalgia and personal history. I mean, do we really all think the 3G Acura TL sedan is a better design than the 2018 NSX - a car which very few put on the list?

And almost no one has mentioned the CR-Z, probably in large part because it didn't get much attention with its non-TOV powertrain. But if we're talking design, I'd have to say it's one of the best. (Particularly in European guise.)

Which also brings up the point that the details make a big difference in design. I would vote almost every Type R among the best designs - in large part because they have the best wheels, least wheel-well gap, aero kits, and JDM details. There's a big design difference between a USDM Acura Integra GSR and a JDM Honda Integra Type R, for example. Or a 2007 USDM Civic Si sedan and a JDM FD2 Type R.

qingcong
Profile for qingcong
Re: Top 5 Best and Worst Honda/Acura Designs    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2018 16:53
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Potenza wrote:
I think it's hard to make a list like this without it being dictated in part by nostalgia and personal history. I mean, do we really all think the 3G Acura TL sedan is a better design than the 2018 NSX - a car which very few put on the list?

And almost no one has mentioned the CR-Z, probably in large part because it didn't get much attention with its non-TOV powertrain. But if we're talking design, I'd have to say it's one of the best. (Particularly in European guise.)




Yeah I kinda had similar thoughts coming up with my list. It's like, how much of the powertrain, history, driving dynamics is influencing my thoughts on the design? But I have a hard time separating design from everything else. I love the old NSX, preludes, and integras because their designs lended to amazing visibility which created a visceral feeling driving them. Cars these days feel sheltered, and that's related to design. There's a utilitarian simplicity and accessibility to the design of the old cars.

As far as the 3G TL vs. 2G NSX, my mouth dropped when I saw the 3rd gen TL type S for the first time in person. If I can get that reaction from 4door sedan, that's saying something about its design. Anyone can make a mid engine supercar look fancy, but to have a sedan look as good as the 3G TL type S, that's an accomplishment.


gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Top 5 Best and Worst Honda/Acura Designs    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2018 16:56
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Not in any particular order except my #1 worst being the worst.

Best:
1. NSX (1G)
2. S2000
3. TSX (1G)
4. NSX (2G)
5. MDX (2G)

Honorable Mention: TL (3G)

Worst:
1. Crosstour
2. Element
3. Accord (7G pre-MMC, though I owned one)
4. Pilot (2G pre-MMC)
5. Ridgeline (1G)


neuronbob
Profile for neuronbob
Re: Top 5 Best and Worst Honda/Acura Designs    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2018 17:26
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Best:
1. S2000 (tie)
2. NSX (tie)
3. 3G TL
4. 2G Legend Coupe
5. 3G Prelude

Worst:
1. Crosstour (tie)
2. 4G TL (tie)
3. 7G Accord
4. 10G Accord
5. ILX

neuronbob
Profile for neuronbob
Re: Top 5 Best and Worst Honda/Acura Designs    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2018 17:30
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Potenza wrote:
I mean, do we really all think the 3G Acura TL sedan is a better design than the 2018 NSX - a car which very few put on the list?


Yes.

lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: Top 5 Best and Worst Honda/Acura Designs    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2018 18:32
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Potenza wrote:
I think it's hard to make a list like this without it being dictated in part by nostalgia and personal history. I mean, do we really all think the 3G Acura TL sedan is a better design than the 2018 NSX - a car which very few put on the list?

And almost no one has mentioned the CR-Z, probably in large part because it didn't get much attention with its non-TOV powertrain. But if we're talking design, I'd have to say it's one of the best. (Particularly in European guise.)

Which also brings up the point that the details make a big difference in design. I would vote almost every Type R among the best designs - in large part because they have the best wheels, least wheel-well gap, aero kits, and JDM details. There's a big design difference between a USDM Acura Integra GSR and a JDM Honda Integra Type R, for example. Or a 2007 USDM Civic Si sedan and a JDM FD2 Type R.



I don't, that is why I have the 1st and 2nd Gen NSX tied for first place. I think the 2nd Gen NSX blows every Honda/Acura out the water in design, it is probably better looking then the original NSX but I have not been able to see two together in person to make the comparison, the 2nd Gen NSX is sexy as hell and now has the power and performance to really back up the looks. I just can not believe they would spend all that money on the NSX and a new factory and then basically let the NSX rot again without doing more versions, only Honda would do this.

HDNBenjamin
Profile for HDNBenjamin
Re: Top 5 Best and Worst Honda/Acura Designs    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2018 23:37
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
neuronbob wrote:
Potenza wrote:
I mean, do we really all think the 3G Acura TL sedan is a better design than the 2018 NSX - a car which very few put on the list?


Yes.



Yes! The new NSX is attractive for the most part, but I can't get over the stupid grill and busy front. Look at most exotics and you will find most do not have a grill. The Gen 1 NSX did not, the s2k did not, and both are beautiful. Shouldn't just slap a grill on a supercar for the sake of brand identity if it doesn't flow well. In this case, it doesn't.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Top 5 Best and Worst Honda/Acura Designs    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-09-2018 06:03
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
The NC reminds me of one of those soft toys with a pink tongue sewn on. If I were to buy one, I'd not be sure whether to wrap the tinsel bit in black or pink wrap.

Having said that, it is the only current Honda design where the language really works - unlike an Evora, it doesn't look like it's made of plastic, which is a bonus.

But I do have reasons to be biased in favour of the NA-series.

Trip
Profile for Trip
Re: Top 5 Best and Worst Honda/Acura Designs    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-09-2018 09:58
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
HDNBenjamin wrote:
neuronbob wrote:
Potenza wrote:
I mean, do we really all think the 3G Acura TL sedan is a better design than the 2018 NSX - a car which very few put on the list?


Yes.



Yes! The new NSX is attractive for the most part, but I can't get over the stupid grill and busy front. Look at most exotics and you will find most do not have a grill. The Gen 1 NSX did not, the s2k did not, and both are beautiful. Shouldn't just slap a grill on a supercar for the sake of brand identity if it doesn't flow well. In this case, it doesn't.



Agreed. Just cuz itís a ďsuper carĒ doesnít mean it sexy. I donít like the lines and the grill on the front end. Not a fan of the jewel eye headlights (on any model). The ďfloatingĒ side mirrors look weird. In general, donít think the angular look is very attractive. Maybe itís a case of ďyous kids get off my lawn with your new styling trendsĒ but the proportions of the TL, itís stance, the grill (so much potential there)... all worked better to my eye.

RP
Profile for RP
Re: Top 5 Best and Worst Honda/Acura Designs    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-09-2018 21:02
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Best:

1. Legend (all generations and body-style)
2. 3G TL
3. S2000
4. NSX (1G & 2G)
5. 1G 3.5RL
Honorable mentions: Integra (all generations and body-styles), 5G Prelude, 2G MDX, 1G TSX, 3G RDX, 9G Accord... Long list I know.


Worst:
1. Crosstour
2. ZDX
3. 1G Insight
4. Element
5. 3G Pilot
Others: 4G TL (2009-2011), RL (2009-2012), 7G Accord (2003-2005), 9G Civic


 
Thread Page - 1 [2]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0