[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Driveô
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
General Talk --> Re: Said Goodbye to the MDX Today
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Will Honda join Aston Martin and Red Bull with Sports Cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Z6 head studs
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - Toro Rosso STR14 Pictures
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Honda Fit Render
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Facts about HMA - 60 years of AHM - 50 years of CB750
Join Discussion......
Audio & Electronics --> Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Kandi EV Approved for US
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > American Honda Reports April Sales Results > > Re: If alarm bells were not starting to ring last month at Honda, they must be now!

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
If alarm bells were not starting to ring last month at Honda, they must be now! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-01-2018 23:32
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I am not fond of posting negative comments but, unfortunately, this is REAL!

Sales are dropping with many Honda and Acura vehicles and not just with the Accord sales anymore! It goes beyond just the drop in passenger sales versus truck sales. There were very few improvements in the month and they only had marginal impact on overall 'Honda Total' sales (ala Odyssey, Pilot and RDX) - which (with April's figures) have already dropped over 3% YoY.

A lot of analysis of sales, vehicles/range of models offered, styling/technology available, prices and value by Honda - needs to start (if not already begun) and not just publish some convenient spins on their monthly/quarterly/yearly sales reports.

Fadic20
Profile for Fadic20
Re: If alarm bells were not starting to ring last month at Honda, they must be now! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-02-2018 02:33
Sedan sales dropped....SUV/Truck sales increased...isn't that what's happening with literally every company?
MalcolmR
Profile for MalcolmR
Re: If alarm bells were not starting to ring last month at Honda, they must be now! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-02-2018 04:04

Malcolm

😄

APTL
Profile for APTL
Re: If alarm bells were not starting to ring last month at Honda, they must be now! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-02-2018 05:55
I guess people don't read the entire articles anymore. It's at the very top of the chart:

American Honda Total Truck Sales MoM: -3.9%
American Honda Total Truck Sales YoY: -0.9%

Honda Total Truck Sales MoM: -4.3%
Honda Total Truck Sales YoY: -0.7%

Acura Total Truck Sales MoM: -0.8%
Acura Total Truck Sales YoY: -1.9%

Only half of their "SUV/Truck" models increased, and that's only if you include the Odyssey, and that wasn't enough for an overall increase in sales. Which is what the original poster said. You can interpret that as "sedan sales decreased and SUV/Truck sales increased" if you want, but the facts simply don't support that.

gearhead99
Profile for gearhead99
Re: If alarm bells were not starting to ring last month at Honda, they must be now! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-02-2018 08:00
Camry DSR +2.9

Accord DSR -12.5

This is a problem.

Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: If alarm bells were not starting to ring last month at Honda, they must be now! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-02-2018 09:29
Vxtec wrote:

Sales are dropping with many Honda and Acura vehicles and not just with the Accord sales anymore! It goes beyond just the drop in passenger sales versus truck sales. There were very few improvements in the month and they only had marginal impact on overall 'Honda Total' sales (ala Odyssey, Pilot and RDX) - which (with April's figures) have already dropped over 3% YoY.

A lot of analysis of sales, vehicles/range of models offered, styling/technology available, prices and value by Honda - needs to start (if not already begun) and not just publish some convenient spins on their monthly/quarterly/yearly sales reports.

Honda is fine. Average incentives are ~$2,000 below the rest of the industry and they have the HR-V and Pilot MMCs coming to drive some sales. Also the Insight. And maybe another SUV in the Passport late this year, also CR-V incentives will hit in force at some point.

Also do you really think Honda isnít constantly analyzing sales and their vehicle portfolio (those damned bean counters!!!)? The market is doing weird things right now - look at what Nissan just reported for April sales!! - but the market is predicted to fall for the second straight year. In 2017 Honda set a third straight sales record but still had 5 months that were decreases over 2016. So they can fight their way back unless the market just really is softening in a big way.

I donít know if Honda will set another all-time record or not in 2018 - but...given that SUVs are driving the market - what better action is there for Honda than to update two of their three SUVs? And put incentives/add production on the CRV? And add the Passport to the lineup? Theyíre supposed to change that plan to something else? What else would or could be better?

Also...gas prices are rising. Seems like $3 national average is in play for the Summer - which hasnít happened since 2014. Where will they stop? Either way the Insight is timed well.

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: If alarm bells were not starting to ring last month at Honda, they must be now! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-02-2018 09:52
APTL wrote:
I guess people don't read the entire articles anymore. It's at the very top of the chart:

Only half of their "SUV/Truck" models increased, and that's only if you include the Odyssey, and that wasn't enough for an overall increase in sales. Which is what the original poster said. You can interpret that as "sedan sales decreased and SUV/Truck sales increased" if you want, but the facts simply don't support that.

Thanks APTL - exactly my point.

BTW I read the entire monthly sales report and examined closely the figures in comparison to previous months figures prior to making those comments.

Even JeffX in posting the report on TOV stated "...it wasn't one of their better months."

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: If alarm bells were not starting to ring last month at Honda, they must be now! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-02-2018 10:13
gearhead99 wrote:
Camry DSR +2.9

Accord DSR -12.5

This is a problem.

I agree.

However, the decline in sales seems to be spreading to other Honda vehicles and to the decline in total YoY sales.

There's a possibility that if certain customers are not attracted and/or considering to buy an Accord, they are probably deciding to not even visit a Honda dealership...as a consequence have the chance to personally view/drive the Accord and possibly even consider any other Honda/Acura vehicles...could be described as a 'preliminary snowball effect' which could become a major problem (over coming months).

Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: If alarm bells were not starting to ring last month at Honda, they must be now! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-02-2018 10:17
APTL wrote:

There were 2 fewer selling days in April 2018 vs. April 2017. Honda sold something like 4200 cars a selling day on average in April.

Look at the DSR - Daily Selling Rate:

Truck DSR for Honda was up 3.6%. Truck DSR for Acura was up 7.5%. Total truck DSR was up 4.1% for both brands.

Honda, just Honda, had an overall DSR -0.8% off of 2017s. Which equates to about 37 cars a selling day. Or 888 cars in a 24 day selling month.

Yes car DSR was well off - but look at the rest of the market. It's a blood bath.

Look - this was a bad month for Honda - no doubt about it. But that truck DSR number is encouraging AND it indicates that the coming HR-V and Pilot MMCs, along with the Passport introduction are the right moves at the right time.

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: If alarm bells were not starting to ring last month at Honda, they must be now! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-02-2018 11:06
Fitdad wrote:

Look - this was a bad month for Honda - no doubt about it. But that truck DSR number is encouraging AND it indicates that the coming HR-V and Pilot MMCs, along with the Passport introduction are the right moves at the right time.

Hopefully, that will support/improve truck sales...however, Honda needs to address the decline in passenger sales too - as much as they can and not let to flounder over coming months/years.

99SI
Profile for 99SI
Re: If alarm bells were not starting to ring last month at Honda, they must be now! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-02-2018 13:58
One thing no one has mentioned is interest rates. I have to think there has been a material impact to auto sales in general due to the cost of money (which has previously basically free). Over time this is going to put pressure on margins in order to maintain sales volume. What we are seeing is that Honda is giving up the volume instead and trying to prop margins.
longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: If alarm bells were not starting to ring last month at Honda, they must be now! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-02-2018 16:16
Fitdad wrote:
Vxtec wrote:

Honda is fine. Average incentives are ~$2,000 below the rest of the industry and they have the HR-V and Pilot MMCs coming to drive some sales. Also the Insight. And maybe another SUV in the Passport late this year, also CR-V incentives will hit in force at some point.

Also do you really think Honda isnít constantly analyzing sales and their vehicle portfolio (those damned bean counters!!!)? The market is doing weird things right now - look at what Nissan just reported for April sales!! - but the market is predicted to fall for the second straight year. In 2017 Honda set a third straight sales record but still had 5 months that were decreases over 2016. So they can fight their way back unless the market just really is softening in a big way.

I donít know if Honda will set another all-time record or not in 2018 - but...given that SUVs are driving the market - what better action is there for Honda than to update two of their three SUVs? And put incentives/add production on the CRV? And add the Passport to the lineup? Theyíre supposed to change that plan to something else? What else would or could be better?

Also...gas prices are rising. Seems like $3 national average is in play for the Summer - which hasnít happened since 2014. Where will they stop? Either way the Insight is timed well.

This only true if Honda stepped off the gas on Accord production, which I think they have. If the inventory is kept tight, it doesn't matter if Honda is only selling 20K Accords a month, they are doing with higher ATPs and making the same or little more profit. Remember the Honda mantra? Honda doesn't chase market share (though I don't believe it for one second).

I worry for the Accord a little bit though for what it may morph into. Honda cannot go against the grain market wise. If Ford debuts an "Outback" like vehicle to replace the Fusion and it takes off like gang busters, don't think Honda and its midsize competitors will not to notice.

HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: If alarm bells were not starting to ring last month at Honda, they must be now! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-02-2018 17:09
longhorn wrote:
Fitdad wrote:
Vxtec wrote:

This only true if Honda stepped off the gas on Accord production, which I think they have. If the inventory is kept tight, it doesn't matter if Honda is only selling 20K Accords a month, they are doing with higher ATPs and making the same or little more profit. Remember the Honda mantra? Honda doesn't chase market share (though I don't believe it for one second).

I worry for the Accord a little bit though for what it may morph into. Honda cannot go against the grain market wise. If Ford debuts an "Outback" like vehicle to replace the Fusion and it takes off like gang busters, don't think Honda and its midsize competitors will not to notice.

No lease special on the Clarity? I'm going tomorrow to try to get out of my HAH and get into the PHEV Clarity..... In Ohio we can't take the tax credit on the lease......

APTL
Profile for APTL
Re: If alarm bells were not starting to ring last month at Honda, they must be now! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-02-2018 17:59
Unless we live in a space/time continuum I'm not aware of, Toyota had the same fewer sales days as Honda. I'd bet some if not all of the other companies had fewer sales days too but I haven't checked. Toyota's SUV/truck sales were up something like 14% and 10% respectively. Same for the DSRs if that's the route you want to explore.

Why people have difficulty accepting plain ol' facts is a mystery we'll never solve.

Fitdad wrote:
APTL wrote:

There were 2 fewer selling days in April 2018 vs. April 2017. Honda sold something like 4200 cars a selling day on average in April.

Look at the DSR - Daily Selling Rate:

Truck DSR for Honda was up 3.6%. Truck DSR for Acura was up 7.5%. Total truck DSR was up 4.1% for both brands.

Honda, just Honda, had an overall DSR -0.8% off of 2017s. Which equates to about 37 cars a selling day. Or 888 cars in a 24 day selling month.

Yes car DSR was well off - but look at the rest of the market. It's a blood bath.

TheDiscriminator
Profile for TheDiscriminator
Re: If alarm bells were not starting to ring last month at Honda, they must be now! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-02-2018 19:35
No new truck model (itís just an inevitable cyclic thing).
Lower incentives on cars.
No fleet sale.
Some people here are overreacting again.
What do they want exactly? Honda to stop selling cars? Hand out cash to move metal?

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: If alarm bells were not starting to ring last month at Honda, they must be now! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-03-2018 01:12
TheDiscriminator wrote:
No new truck model (itís just an inevitable cyclic thing).
Lower incentives on cars.
No fleet sale.
Some people here are overreacting again.
What do they want exactly? Honda to stop selling cars? Hand out cash to move metal?

They hand out fists of cash to move metal on Acura lots, why not?

HondaDad
Profile for HondaDad
Re: If alarm bells were not starting to ring last month at Honda, they must be now! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-03-2018 01:35
Vxtec wrote:
Fitdad wrote:

Hopefully, that will support/improve truck sales...however, Honda needs to address the decline in passenger sales too - as much as they can and not let to flounder over coming months/years.

Why does Honda need to address passenger car sales? If people don't want to buy cars and buy trucks instead then Honda needs to adjust its mix toward trucks. There is a reason that Ford and Chrysler are both largely bailing on cars. The market is demanding fewer cars and is demanding more trucks. Honda's truck sales were up on a DSR basis. That is a good thing.

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: If alarm bells were not starting to ring last month at Honda, they must be now! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-03-2018 09:27
HondaDad wrote:
Vxtec wrote:
Fitdad wrote:

Why does Honda need to address passenger car sales? If people don't want to buy cars and buy trucks instead then Honda needs to adjust its mix toward trucks. There is a reason that Ford and Chrysler are both largely bailing on cars. The market is demanding fewer cars and is demanding more trucks. Honda's truck sales were up on a DSR basis. That is a good thing.

I made the remark on passenger cars because Honda themselves have said they still want to support passenger car sales and continue to develop these types of vehicles even though there is a trend towards greater SUV/truck sales...so if they wish to focus on both markets, hopefully, they will investigate/analyse/deliver on the kind of vehicles consumers want in each of the two categories (passenger and trucks) so as to maximise their sales across both these categories - I hope this post has clarified my comments.

Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: If alarm bells were not starting to ring last month at Honda, they must be now! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-03-2018 09:31
APTL wrote:
Unless we live in a space/time continuum I'm not aware of, Toyota had the same fewer sales days as Honda. I'd bet some if not all of the other companies had fewer sales days too but I haven't checked. Toyota's SUV/truck sales were up something like 14% and 10% respectively. Same for the DSRs if that's the route you want to explore.

Why people have difficulty accepting plain ol' facts is a mystery we'll never solve.

Not entirely sure what your point is here.

For starters Toyota's total truck sales were up 1.6% on volume and up 10.1% on DSR. Their SUV sales were up 4.2% on volume and up 12.8% on DSR. Truck sales were up 5% on volume and 13.8% on DSR.

Toyota's car sales were off 13.3% in volume and off 6.1% in DSR.

Honda's total car sales were off 12.3% in volume and 5.0% in DSR.

Both brands - YTD - are off around 5% with their cars overall...Honda is -5.8% and Toyota is off 5%. If you include Lexus and Acura it's a dead heat. So Toyota is spending untold millions on selling the Camry and, percentage wise, they are still off in cars about the same as Honda...who is putting no money on the Accord. Sure Honda is pushing the Civic - but the disparity between the Camry and Accord makes these overall sales numbers pretty interesting.

Both are doing better than the market overall in terms of car sales - I can't find YTD April data because GM isn't reporting monthly sales...but through March YTD car sales for the entire industry were down almost 11%.

Is that enough facts?

wanga
Profile for wanga
Re: If alarm bells were not starting to ring last month at Honda, they must be now! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-03-2018 11:58
gearhead99 wrote:
Camry DSR +2.9

Accord DSR -12.5

This is a problem.

Well, even Stevie S Wonder will get the message.

Waldo
Profile for Waldo
Re: If alarm bells were not starting to ring last month at Honda, they must be now! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-03-2018 13:21
I think what we're seeing is the result of Honda stripping the Accord of it's classic "accordness". For almost 40 years the Accord has been a conservative nice friendly car that no one could fault a suburban mom or dad for selecting one to become "part of the family". It was safe; the comfort and visibility was great, and it had fewer problems than the neighbor's Taurus or Malibu.

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: If alarm bells were not starting to ring last month at Honda, they must be now! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-03-2018 14:41
Waldo wrote:
I think what we're seeing is the result of Honda stripping the Accord of it's classic "accordness". For almost 40 years the Accord has been a conservative nice friendly car that no one could fault a suburban mom or dad for selecting one to become "part of the family". It was safe; the comfort and visibility was great, and it had fewer problems than the neighbor's Taurus or Malibu.

Huh? "Accordness" also meant it was a touch sportier and more rewarding to drive. In my estimation they've restored that without hurting anything else (although I can't speak to how many problems people are or aren't having with them and subjective looks notwithstanding).

rev2damoon
Profile for rev2damoon
Re: If alarm bells were not starting to ring last month at Honda, they must be now! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-03-2018 15:49
^I'm telling you, some of the comments regarding the Accord are downright puzzling really...lol.
APTL
Profile for APTL
Re: If alarm bells were not starting to ring last month at Honda, they must be now! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-03-2018 17:28
If you're not entirely sure what the point is, then you're the only one.

And you're going to spin yourself into the ground twisting facts and considering hypotheticals trying to make a point ("the CR-V is in short supply and the Fit will be available in Yellow soon and the revamp of the Ridgeline with a new interior will probably increase sales of the Accord on Tuesdays and the HR-V will be available with a radio which should increase sales and....."

People are entitled to their own opinions, not their own facts.

Fitdad wrote:
APTL wrote:

Not entirely sure what your point is here.

For starters Toyota's total truck sales were up 1.6% on volume and up 10.1% on DSR. Their SUV sales were up 4.2% on volume and up 12.8% on DSR. Truck sales were up 5% on volume and 13.8% on DSR.

Toyota's car sales were off 13.3% in volume and off 6.1% in DSR.

Honda's total car sales were off 12.3% in volume and 5.0% in DSR.

Both brands - YTD - are off around 5% with their cars overall...Honda is -5.8% and Toyota is off 5%. If you include Lexus and Acura it's a dead heat. So Toyota is spending untold millions on selling the Camry and, percentage wise, they are still off in cars about the same as Honda...who is putting no money on the Accord. Sure Honda is pushing the Civic - but the disparity between the Camry and Accord makes these overall sales numbers pretty interesting.

Both are doing better than the market overall in terms of car sales - I can't find YTD April data because GM isn't reporting monthly sales...but through March YTD car sales for the entire industry were down almost 11%.

Is that enough facts?

according2kev
Profile for according2kev
Re: If alarm bells were not starting to ring last month at Honda, they must be now! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-03-2018 17:52
gofast182 wrote:
Waldo wrote:

Huh? "Accordness" also meant it was a touch sportier and more rewarding to drive. In my estimation they've restored that without hurting anything else (although I can't speak to how many problems people are or aren't having with them and subjective looks notwithstanding).

I'm assuming he was referring to the styling when he said Accordness. The 8th generation is the only other Accord in my opinion that completely lacked Accordness from front to rear, but at least it didn't look like it was dragging its rear end. The new Accord looks like an Impala and a Crosstour gangbanged a Civic. I call it the Crosspalic.

Waldo
Profile for Waldo
Re: If alarm bells were not starting to ring last month at Honda, they must be now! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-03-2018 18:20
according2kev wrote:
gofast182 wrote:
Waldo wrote:

I'm assuming he was referring to the styling when he said Accordness. The 8th generation is the only other Accord in my opinion that completely lacked Accordness from front to rear, but at least it didn't look like it was dragging its rear end. The new Accord looks like an Impala and a Crosstour gangbanged a Civic. I call it the Crosspalic.

Yes, styling, and overall inoffensive impression. I agree the 8th Gen was a styling turkey (and the MMC made it worse), but at lease it wasn't scary and aggressive sitting in your driveway. The 10th is not friendly looking (your image is just fine!). Maybe Honda thought Lexus style aggression was the way to go? I don't know, but that was never the Accord market.

I realize this is an "enthusiast" forum, and likely some members may not comprehend or remember what made the Accord a 400,000 per year vehicle. Honda needs to remember also. Dropping the hip point an inch and fierce styling is not the answer.

rocky
Profile for rocky
Re: If alarm bells were not starting to ring last month at Honda, they must be now! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-03-2018 20:39
The economy is going in very strange directions right now. Totally unpredictable. Some areas can boom for a bit, others are struggling. But people generally are worried about the way things are going so, spending is down. Incentives are winning sales.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: If alarm bells were not starting to ring last month at Honda, they must be now! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-03-2018 21:14
There seems to be a double standard developing concerning the 10G Accord's sales. Perhaps the sales numbers are down because of styling but it's not the only reason.

April 2007 and April 2008 Sales Numbers

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=758966

April 2012 and April 2013 Sales Numbers

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=1147219

Accord Sales

April 2007 = 28,926
April 2008 = 34,628
April 2012 = 35,385
April 2013 = 33,538
April 2017 = 26,938
April 2018 = 21,751

If styling alone accounts for the drop in sales for the 10G Accord, the prettiest Accord in this lot is the 8G MMC version. The reality is that April 2012 number was driven by strong incentives and the April 2013 number followed up with incentives as well. I think many here have forgotten the offers on the 2017 Accord last year.

I noticed Honda announced 1.9% financing for up to a 24 month term last week but it's on the Accord LX and the dealerships in my area have almost none of them in stock. Maybe 80% of the new Accords on dealer lots are Sports and Tourings. And for each 2.0T there must be ten 1.5T's. If I were to replace my car with a new Accord it would be an EX-L 2.0T/10AT without navigation and probably in the gray color. I see just five of them on dealer lots within 300 miles of my home. Honda is trying something new, who knows what.

I do think it's interesting that Honda sold almost exactly 10,000 more CRV last month than in April 2008. It's also interesting that the year-to-date total for American Honda for April 2018 is 370 cars more than April 2008. That could very well be on much better margins.

gearhead99
Profile for gearhead99
Re: If alarm bells were not starting to ring last month at Honda, they must be now! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2018 09:48
Grace141 wrote:
There seems to be a double standard developing concerning the 10G Accord's sales. Perhaps the sales numbers are down because of styling but it's not the only reason.

April 2007 and April 2008 Sales Numbers

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=758966

April 2012 and April 2013 Sales Numbers

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=1147219

Accord Sales

April 2007 = 28,926
April 2008 = 34,628
April 2012 = 35,385
April 2013 = 33,538
April 2017 = 26,938
April 2018 = 21,751

If styling alone accounts for the drop in sales for the 10G Accord, the prettiest Accord in this lot is the 8G MMC version. The reality is that April 2012 number was driven by strong incentives and the April 2013 number followed up with incentives as well. I think many here have forgotten the offers on the 2017 Accord last year.

I noticed Honda announced 1.9% financing for up to a 24 month term last week but it's on the Accord LX and the dealerships in my area have almost none of them in stock. Maybe 80% of the new Accords on dealer lots are Sports and Tourings. And for each 2.0T there must be ten 1.5T's. If I were to replace my car with a new Accord it would be an EX-L 2.0T/10AT without navigation and probably in the gray color. I see just five of them on dealer lots within 300 miles of my home. Honda is trying something new, who knows what.

I do think it's interesting that Honda sold almost exactly 10,000 more CRV last month than in April 2008. It's also interesting that the year-to-date total for American Honda for April 2018 is 370 cars more than April 2008. That could very well be on much better margins.

The key years are 2008 and 2013 when a new generation release caused a surge of sales. 2018? Even accounting for diminished interest in sedans generally this is a poor number, especially considering how much better the overall economy is performing versus '08 and '13.

Accords haven't looked good IMHO since GEN 6 but they were inoffensive enough to sell based on all the other Honda attributes. This time styling is a sales objection.

NorCalSales
Profile for NorCalSales
Re: If alarm bells were not starting to ring last month at Honda, they must be now! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2018 09:55

I noticed Honda announced 1.9% financing for up to a 24 month term last week but it's on the Accord LX and the dealerships in my area have almost none of them in stock.

There have been no incentives for APR... that's a dealer buydown.

LX's are dime a dozen, once again the Accord you want on your lot is a White Sport followed by a grey Sport

FYI retail numbers between Camry and Accord were under a thousand

Thread Page - [1] 2
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0