[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
This 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec is wearing an exclusive new shade of blue
More.......................
2019 Pilot gets upgraded with standard LED headlights and "Telematics"
Sources: 2019 HR-V adds Sport trim, loses 6MT option
All-new 2019 Acura RDX Makes Road Debut as Official Vehicle of Rally Cycling Alongside NSX Supercar
Clarity Electric still available for $199/month lease, but down payment has increased $600
Driving impressions: Hondata's FlashPro for the FK8 Civic Type R
American Honda Reports April Sales Results
Honda reveals Everus EV Concept at Beijing International Auto Show
General Talk --> Re: I just realized
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: 2020 NSX Type-R
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic MMC rumors?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Porsche Macan S weight distro: 56.7/43.3
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Electronic rear view mirrors - one thing I don't like
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 2019 RDX Trim Levels
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Beat a Mirai to the H2 station last night New style H70 pumps
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Spanish Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla - facts behind the mirage
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Mishimoto Catch Can - What For?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Moto GP Spoiler
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2018 Indy 500
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Spare Wheel Kit: Damaged Wheel
Join Discussion......
Photo Gallery - Some other cars from 2019 NYIAS
Read Article....................
TOV Video: 2019 Acura RDX Walk-around with LPL Steve Hansen
TOV Photo Gallery: 2018 North American International Auto Show
2018 Acura RLX PR Photo Gallery
TOV First Drive: 2018 Honda Accord
2018 Honda Accord Specifications and Features (FINAL)

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Today's Reading Links > > Re: Bosch Says It's Made a Breakthrough That Can Save Diesel Engines

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
The Legend
Profile for The Legend
Bosch Says It's Made a Breakthrough That Can Save Diesel Engines    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-25-2018 18:01
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2018-04-25/bosch-says-it-s-made-a-breakthrough-that-can-save-diesel-engines

Long live the Diesel ?

typer_801
Profile for typer_801
Re: Bosch Says It's Made a Breakthrough That Can Save Diesel Engines    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-25-2018 21:14
Interesting...letís hope it comes to fruition in the form of new diesel cars hitting our shores. That said, whatever happened to the Mazda CX-5 diesel that was promised last fall. Still no word or ETA.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1116088_mazda-cx-5-diesel-engine-still-mia-in-compact-crossover-utility-vehicle

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Bosch Says It's Made a Breakthrough That Can Save Diesel Engines    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-25-2018 22:01
Yah, and we can trust these people to meet these new targets just with software updates?

I hope the regulators are a bit more conscientious this time around!

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Bosch Says It's Made a Breakthrough That Can Save Diesel Engines    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2018 04:31
What's this new invention called - Bribeomatik?

Will it work on DI petrols, too?

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Bosch Says It's Made a Breakthrough That Can Save Diesel Engines    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2018 09:58
As far as the headline goes... yes, let's trust the company that is at the centre of all the cheats to make a breakthrough to save diesels! Borsche is technology agnostic (since they make... all electronics), but I can't believe they're still willing to push through with developments when they have been implicated in this whole mess.

typer_801 wrote:
Interesting...letís hope it comes to fruition in the form of new diesel cars hitting our shores. That said, whatever happened to the Mazda CX-5 diesel that was promised last fall. Still no word or ETA.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1116088_mazda-cx-5-diesel-engine-still-mia-in-compact-crossover-utility-vehicle

Even without JihadDo's rants, diesel is simply dead. VW has the dubious honor of single-handedly destroying consumer interest in the technology (and of possibly the biggest scandal in automotive history, alongside maybe Takata). So I'd be surprised if Mazda ends up bringing their diesel tech here especially considering the Feds are sensitive to emissions certification.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Bosch Says It's Made a Breakthrough That Can Save Diesel Engines    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2018 11:39
CarPhreakD wrote:
As far as the headline goes... yes, let's trust the company that is at the centre of all the cheats to make a breakthrough to save diesels! Borsche is technology agnostic (since they make... all electronics), but I can't believe they're still willing to push through with developments when they have been implicated in this whole mess.

typer_801 wrote:

Even without JihadDo's rants, diesel is simply dead. VW has the dubious honor of single-handedly destroying consumer interest in the technology (and of possibly the biggest scandal in automotive history, alongside maybe Takata). So I'd be surprised if Mazda ends up bringing their diesel tech here especially considering the Feds are sensitive to emissions certification.

I still don't fully understand why the love affair with diesel for passenger cars ever began here.

In Europe it was simply driven by economics and bad policy. People were forced into diesels by the excessive taxation on petrol.

Yes, diesel cars are more efficient in general, but a big part of that is due to the fact that the fuel is more energy dense, to the tune of 20%. I understand why guys who tow a lot love their diesels, but they tend to ruin the dynamics of regular cars, with the excess weight and bottom heavy torque curves. On top of that, I never believed that there were ever any truly "clean diesels" and yup, it was all a huge scam. Screw diesels.

BG
Profile for BG
Re: Bosch Says It's Made a Breakthrough That Can Save Diesel Engines    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2018 11:44
What a line....

"He said the company is prohibiting technology that recognizes test cycles and its products arenít allowed to be optimized for test situations any more."

:D

gogzy
Profile for gogzy
Re: Bosch Says It's Made a Breakthrough That Can Save Diesel Engines    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2018 15:10
"avoid potential driving bans"
"The German engineering giant, the biggest supplier of diesel-engine technology to global automakers "

"avoid" and "biggest supplier".. these 2 words, set off the alarm. na, sorry I do not buy it. this article is probably more about buying time, not finding solution.

KaizenDo
Profile for KaizenDo
Re: Bosch Says It's Made a Breakthrough That Can Save Diesel Engines    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2018 16:11
CarPhreakD wrote:

typer_801 wrote:

Thanks for the flowers. It must be some american/canadian strange logic, that people who tell you the fucking truth, get a namecalling. I have a picture in my head which would describe you guys pretty well, it contains 3 lads sitting next to each other and do the things you do... ;)

Anyways, as Jeff already said, the interest for these oilburners in the US is rather strange. European makers specialized in those things, to be different from the foreign competitors and let EU politicians impose heavy taxes on gasoline and more voluminous vehicles. It's a matter of market protectionism.

Nowadays Atkinson-Cycle gasoline engines are just as efficient as Diesel engines, yet the european makers pull of the same strategy again - ignoring full hybrid technology which is mastered by the koreans and offering plug-in-hybrids with downsizing engines. Guess which cars get tax cut and which do not?

I see in the Bosch anouncement just another desperate trial to buy more time for their diseasel engines. They do everything they can to keep these zombies alive and squish out the last bit of money from their customers.

A77X
Profile for A77X
Re: Bosch Says It's Made a Breakthrough That Can Save Diesel Engines    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-03-2018 10:17
Diesel became popular in the UK despite the fuel being no cheaper and the cars costing more to buy. My own findings in the UK are that people like them because of their driving characteristics not despite them. The seemingly effortless low end torque is preferred by the vast majority to revving an NA gas engine. And in many cases turbo diesel pulling power is superior to gas turbo too. The fuel economy is a bonus. But emissions mean their time has come. Rumour has it jaguar land rover right now is taking no orders in UK on future diesel production as they cant meet upcoming emission rules. Whatever happens many people will miss their diesels.
CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Bosch Says It's Made a Breakthrough That Can Save Diesel Engines    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-03-2018 10:43
A77X wrote:
Diesel became popular in the UK despite the fuel being no cheaper and the cars costing more to buy. My own findings in the UK are that people like them because of their driving characteristics not despite them. The seemingly effortless low end torque is preferred by the vast majority to revving an NA gas engine. And in many cases turbo diesel pulling power is superior to gas turbo too. The fuel economy is a bonus. But emissions mean their time has come. Rumour has it jaguar land rover right now is taking no orders in UK on future diesel production as they cant meet upcoming emission rules. Whatever happens many people will miss their diesels.

If people are seduced by the low-end 'torque' and pulling power, then I'd honestly be surprised if those same people balk at BEVs and hybrids since they do mostly the same thing.

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Bosch Says It's Made a Breakthrough That Can Save Diesel Engines    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-03-2018 11:07
KaizenDo wrote:
CarPhreakD wrote:

typer_801 wrote:

Thanks for the flowers. It must be some american/canadian strange logic, that people who tell you the fucking truth, get a namecalling. I have a picture in my head which would describe you guys pretty well, it contains 3 lads sitting next to each other and do the things you do... ;)

I believe you're simply experiencing the difference between casual interest and militant activism. ;)

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Bosch Says It's Made a Breakthrough That Can Save Diesel Engines    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-03-2018 11:09
KaizenDo wrote:
It must be some american/canadian strange logic, that people who tell you the fucking truth, get a namecalling.

KaizenDo, I thought that you were going to go out and take a walk, and not let all of this forum stuff bother you so much.
:)

KaizenDo
Profile for KaizenDo
Re: Bosch Says It's Made a Breakthrough That Can Save Diesel Engines    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-03-2018 11:54
superchg2 wrote:
KaizenDo wrote:
It must be some american/canadian strange logic, that people who tell you the fucking truth, get a namecalling.

KaizenDo, I thought that you were going to go out and take a walk, and not let all of this forum stuff bother you so much.

How about you do the same and for a change listen to the people who have the questionalbe luck of being faced with Bosch invetions on a daily base ;)

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Bosch Says It's Made a Breakthrough That Can Save Diesel Engines    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-03-2018 12:46
KaizenDo wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
KaizenDo wrote:

How about you do the same and for a change listen to the people who have the questionalbe luck of being faced with Bosch invetions on a daily base ;)

I have been listening and Bosch was involved in the Diesel testing fraud, right along with VW.

"Evidence obtained by car owners shows that Bosch participated in both the development of the defeat device and in the scheme to prevent U.S. regulators from uncovering the device's true functionality, according to the filing Tuesday in San Francisco federal court.

VW's "ingeniously designed defeat devices" were armed with software provided by Bosch, according to the filing. They were designed to recognize when the car was being tested in a lab or smog station to feign clean emissions and compliance with pollution standards. All the while, according to the filing, Bosch marketed "clean diesel" technology in the U.S. and lobbied U.S. regulators to approve the vehicles included in VW's settlement."

http://www.autonews.com/article/20160818/COPY01/308189978/bosch-had-key-role-in-vw-emissions-fraud-lawyers-claim

BG
Profile for BG
Re: Bosch Says It's Made a Breakthrough That Can Save Diesel Engines    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-03-2018 16:14
I asked a question on twitter to a motoring journalist about the time frame for this tech.... I got a response from the journalist, but later on another response was made by Florian Flaig of Bosch... Here's his response...

"Parts of technology are already in series cars - look at some that perform with 40 mg/km. This prototype tech will be standard by 2020/21 - until then further decrease till values are around 13 mg or lower. Bosch now developing 300 rde Diesel projects with carmakers"

https://twitter.com/Shane_O_D/status/992012842772697089?s=19

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Bosch Says It's Made a Breakthrough That Can Save Diesel Engines    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-03-2018 17:28
I wouldn't trust Bosch as far as I can throw them.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0