[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
This 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec is wearing an exclusive new shade of blue
More.......................
2019 Pilot gets upgraded with standard LED headlights and "Telematics"
Sources: 2019 HR-V adds Sport trim, loses 6MT option
All-new 2019 Acura RDX Makes Road Debut as Official Vehicle of Rally Cycling Alongside NSX Supercar
Clarity Electric still available for $199/month lease, but down payment has increased $600
Driving impressions: Hondata's FlashPro for the FK8 Civic Type R
American Honda Reports April Sales Results
Honda reveals Everus EV Concept at Beijing International Auto Show
General Talk --> Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Electronic rear view mirrors - one thing I don't like
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic MMC rumors?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Porsche Macan S weight distro: 56.7/43.3
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 2019 RDX Trim Levels
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Beat a Mirai to the H2 station last night New style H70 pumps
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Spanish Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: 2020 NSX Type-R
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla - facts behind the mirage
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Mishimoto Catch Can - What For?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Moto GP Spoiler
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2018 Indy 500
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Spare Wheel Kit: Damaged Wheel
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX Production Starts
Join Discussion......
Audio & Electronics --> Re: iOS 11 breaks just about all Bluetooth Functionality, 2013-15 Accord—** UPDATE **
Join Discussion......
Photo Gallery - Some other cars from 2019 NYIAS
Read Article....................
TOV Video: 2019 Acura RDX Walk-around with LPL Steve Hansen
TOV Photo Gallery: 2018 North American International Auto Show
2018 Acura RLX PR Photo Gallery
TOV First Drive: 2018 Honda Accord
2018 Honda Accord Specifications and Features (FINAL)

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > RDX > > Re: Just Purchased a 1st gen RDX

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
RTypezCivic
Profile for RTypezCivic
Just Purchased a 1st gen RDX    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2018 08:53
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
So I traded in my 2009 Fit for an 07 RDX w tech package(I know it's older). 2 things I'm surprised about though, 1 you hear the turbo a lot, more then expected which is fine by me, and 2 it rides a bit rougher then I thought it would. I guess it being a "sport luxury" vehicle that's to be expected. Over all I really like this car. My one real complaint is I thought it would have auto on/off headlamps. if it does I cant figure out how to use them.

anyway just thought id share my thoughts.

RKG
Profile for RKG
Re: Just Purchased a 1st gen RDX    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2018 09:47
Congrats Civic, enjoy!! It has its shortcomings but looks cool.
CanTeX
Profile for CanTeX
Re: Just Purchased a 1st gen RDX    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2018 12:39
RTypezCivic wrote:
So I traded in my 2009 Fit for an 07 RDX w tech package(I know it's older). 2 things I'm surprised about though, 1 you hear the turbo a lot, more then expected which is fine by me, and 2 it rides a bit rougher then I thought it would. I guess it being a "sport luxury" vehicle that's to be expected. Over all I really like this car. My one real complaint is I thought it would have auto on/off headlamps. if it does I cant figure out how to use them.

anyway just thought id share my thoughts.

You just described two of the three reasons why we didn't get an RDX back in '07. We just did the 1-mile dealer test drive at the grand gala with fancy food and non-hard beverages and were severely unimpressed with the noisy, jumpy turbo and hard ride. The third reason was the cramped interior. Now, when the '13 came out we were all over it. (This '13 Tech was sold to our son, we have a '17 Advance and our other son has a '14 Tech, all black.) We just hope the new one is as satisfying as the current fleet when the time comes to pass down our '17. Though that Volvo XC60 sure looks nice...

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Just Purchased a 1st gen RDX    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2018 12:51
It has auto-off headlamps with options in the driver's settings in the system. It doesn't have automatic lights though.

The ride quality is stiff but forgiving over bumps so I wouldn't say it's harsh. It comes alive when you push it through corners. I'd recommend the Sport mode for the transmission for anything under 45mph.

We had no real problems with ours. We did have the A/C clutch solenoid failure which most of the 1G RDX's did have but Honda covered them. Yours should be good by now.

The 1G RDX sells for a song these days so I considered keeping ours instead of trading it a couple of years ago. We have too many cars as it is. It's a fun small SUV and if you keep an eye on the maintenance it should do well for you.

garoto
Profile for garoto
Re: Just Purchased a 1st gen RDX    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2018 21:40
I test drove that car when it was released. Really liked it at the time but couldn’t afford it.
RTypezCivic
Profile for RTypezCivic
Re: Just Purchased a 1st gen RDX    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-21-2018 07:51
Grace141 wrote:
It has auto-off headlamps with options in the driver's settings in the system. It doesn't have automatic lights though.

The ride quality is stiff but forgiving over bumps so I wouldn't say it's harsh. It comes alive when you push it through corners. I'd recommend the Sport mode for the transmission for anything under 45mph.

We had no real problems with ours. We did have the A/C clutch solenoid failure which most of the 1G RDX's did have but Honda covered them. Yours should be good by now.

The 1G RDX sells for a song these days so I considered keeping ours instead of trading it a couple of years ago. We have too many cars as it is. It's a fun small SUV and if you keep an eye on the maintenance it should do well for you.

The more I drive it the more I like it. But I do see what you mean. its like they programmed the shift points to intentionally get out of the sweet spot of boost. On accel it builds boost, shifts out of the sweet spot and has to build boost again. It gives that jumpy feel That CanTex described.

It boggles my mind that a vehicle with a "Tech Package wouldn't have Auto On/Off headlamps. My friend has an 06 TL Tech and it has them. But as usual Honda does odd things with their packaging.

Also I just discovered that the Bluetooth doesn't work. :( I unplugged and plugged back in the HFL unit and was able to pair my phone but it stops working on the next drive cycle. I did buy a warranty on the car and it supposedly covers INfotainment stuff so I should be able to get that fixed.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Just Purchased a 1st gen RDX    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-21-2018 08:48
RTypezCivic wrote:
Grace141 wrote:

The more I drive it the more I like it. But I do see what you mean. its like they programmed the shift points to intentionally get out of the sweet spot of boost. On accel it builds boost, shifts out of the sweet spot and has to build boost again. It gives that jumpy feel That CanTex described.

It boggles my mind that a vehicle with a "Tech Package wouldn't have Auto On/Off headlamps. My friend has an 06 TL Tech and it has them. But as usual Honda does odd things with their packaging.

Also I just discovered that the Bluetooth doesn't work. :( I unplugged and plugged back in the HFL unit and was able to pair my phone but it stops working on the next drive cycle. I did buy a warranty on the car and it supposedly covers INfotainment stuff so I should be able to get that fixed.

I have the think the Drive shift logic for around town was for gas mileage. The trick for good gas mileage though is to just stay out of boost. It's a lot like a CRV to drive until you put your foot into it. I know the gas mileage wasn't great or anything but with typical daily driving in traffic our average over seven years was probably 21mpg compared to the 24mpg for the CRV we had for the six years before. Not terrible or anything.

My wife and I were both able to use our phones with the Bluetooth in our RDX without any problems but it's two years now since we traded it away and it wasn't the Tech version either. Maybe your phone is a newer version.

And if you do the tire rotations with each service and with everything in good nick, you can get 50k miles from a set of tires easily. I had great luck with the Goodyear Assurance Touring tires. I thought the OEM Michelins on the RDX were good too but more expensive.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Assurance+ComforTred+Touring

My list of things to watch for includes the weatherstripping along the bottoms of the doors works itself loose and can get caught when you close a door (a small amount of 3M Adhesive does good work), bugs and even rocks can pass through the hood scoop and get caught in the intercooler, and the door mirrors can pop/snap on their actuator mounts when you wash/dry the mirrors and the car. The latter can happen so many times a mirror can get out of sync with the range of the actuator and you can't adjust that mirror to the point you need it to be. The mirror just snaps back and forth instead of moving. It takes patience but you can pop the mirrors back to where they need to be on the actuators.

I liked the 2G RDX quite a bit too mostly because of the V6. It was a softer car to drive though so less fun on twisty roads.

RTypezCivic
Profile for RTypezCivic
Re: Just Purchased a 1st gen RDX    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-21-2018 11:30
Grace141 wrote:
RTypezCivic wrote:
Grace141 wrote:

I have the think the Drive shift logic for around town was for gas mileage. The trick for good gas mileage though is to just stay out of boost. It's a lot like a CRV to drive until you put your foot into it. I know the gas mileage wasn't great or anything but with typical daily driving in traffic our average over seven years was probably 21mpg compared to the 24mpg for the CRV we had for the six years before. Not terrible or anything.

My wife and I were both able to use our phones with the Bluetooth in our RDX without any problems but it's two years now since we traded it away and it wasn't the Tech version either. Maybe your phone is a newer version.

And if you do the tire rotations with each service and with everything in good nick, you can get 50k miles from a set of tires easily. I had great luck with the Goodyear Assurance Touring tires. I thought the OEM Michelins on the RDX were good too but more expensive.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Assurance+ComforTred+Touring

My list of things to watch for includes the weatherstripping along the bottoms of the doors works itself loose and can get caught when you close a door (a small amount of 3M Adhesive does good work), bugs and even rocks can pass through the hood scoop and get caught in the intercooler, and the door mirrors can pop/snap on their actuator mounts when you wash/dry the mirrors and the car. The latter can happen so many times a mirror can get out of sync with the range of the actuator and you can't adjust that mirror to the point you need it to be. The mirror just snaps back and forth instead of moving. It takes patience but you can pop the mirrors back to where they need to be on the actuators.

I liked the 2G RDX quite a bit too mostly because of the V6. It was a softer car to drive though so less fun on twisty roads.

Com'on now you expect me to not go into boost on a car I just bought. lol, I'm sure the effect will wear off eventually. For now I like hitting boost. :)

PANG S2
Profile for PANG S2
Re: Just Purchased a 1st gen RDX    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-22-2018 00:47
I would recommend you to consider the Hondata reflash. We got out 1st Gen RDX brand new back in 2006. Got the Hondata reflash at 80k miles and now the RDX just passed 200K miles and still running strong. With the reflash, the throttle response is much more responsive with less turbo lag. You gain around 10-20 Hp across the power band with 26 Hp up top. Therefore, with the reflash, the RDX pulls all the way to the redline, instead of running out of steam at 5500 rpm with stock ECU mapping. You also gain 33ft lb of torque at 3300 rpm, and believe me you'll definitely feel this right away.

Additionally, under normal driving you will see a slight 1-2 avg mpg increase in both city and highway. So as you can see it's a no brainer. Enjoy your RDX!

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Just Purchased a 1st gen RDX    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-24-2018 07:56
I thought about buying that update myself but you had to ship your ECU to them for the reflash. We had our RDX as a daily driver, I found a new ECU was very expensive, and there were zero salvaged ones available. It seems like it would be a piece of cake now so, sure, I'd suggest giving it a try.

I always thought Honda didn't know what they wanted to do with the 1G RDX other than try to emulate the power and torque of the MDX V6 at the time. The lag was awkward at times but not a real problem. I suspected the K23T could have been tuned for 300hp and a ton of torque but maybe the rear diff couldn't handle it.

And, thinking about using boost, I did have the MPG meter down to 16mpg twice, I think. Good times.

RTypezCivic
Profile for RTypezCivic
Re: Just Purchased a 1st gen RDX    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-24-2018 12:48
I'm thinking about the reflash. Well see. I did decide to buy an apple car play integration device. It basically connects to the factory display. But it also allows you to retain the factory functions using a simple toggle switch to switch between the carplay screen and factory screen. A little pricey but to me its worth it as I like to play music from my own playlist. And since the Bluetooth doesn't work on my car due to a bad HFL unit it was a no brainer for me. If interested in the Carplay device for your own car, check out www.Naviks.com The car play device itself isn't too much money at 250 but I also had to buy a video interface because the RDX doesn't have my video inputs. When I get the device installed ill post up how well it works.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0