[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
This 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec is wearing an exclusive new shade of blue
More.......................
2019 Pilot gets upgraded with standard LED headlights and "Telematics"
Sources: 2019 HR-V adds Sport trim, loses 6MT option
All-new 2019 Acura RDX Makes Road Debut as Official Vehicle of Rally Cycling Alongside NSX Supercar
Clarity Electric still available for $199/month lease, but down payment has increased $600
Driving impressions: Hondata's FlashPro for the FK8 Civic Type R
American Honda Reports April Sales Results
Honda reveals Everus EV Concept at Beijing International Auto Show
General Talk --> Re: I just realized
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: 2020 NSX Type-R
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic MMC rumors?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Porsche Macan S weight distro: 56.7/43.3
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Electronic rear view mirrors - one thing I don't like
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 2019 RDX Trim Levels
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Beat a Mirai to the H2 station last night New style H70 pumps
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Spanish Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla - facts behind the mirage
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Mishimoto Catch Can - What For?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Moto GP Spoiler
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2018 Indy 500
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Spare Wheel Kit: Damaged Wheel
Join Discussion......
Photo Gallery - Some other cars from 2019 NYIAS
Read Article....................
TOV Video: 2019 Acura RDX Walk-around with LPL Steve Hansen
TOV Photo Gallery: 2018 North American International Auto Show
2018 Acura RLX PR Photo Gallery
TOV First Drive: 2018 Honda Accord
2018 Honda Accord Specifications and Features (FINAL)

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Accord > > Re: I like the chrome brow

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
skapig
Profile for skapig
I like the chrome brow    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-19-2018 21:53
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I'm starting to see these out on the road regularly now. I think the chrome brow looks pretty darn good--better than any of the competitors. The hood cut line doesn't offend me the way it seems to bother everyone else. The entire rear end is a turd but could be made acceptable by toning down the radical taillights.

Overall it's a sharp looking ride, but maybe I'll grow to hate it over time like I did with the 8th gen sedan.

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: I like the chrome brow    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2018 07:06
Wow. That's all I have to say about that.

I did see a black Sport or Touring (with the dark Sport grill) on the road a couple days ago and it was a head turner. Caught my eye before I realized what it was.

Mechanic
Profile for Mechanic
Re: I like the chrome brow    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2018 07:20
Consumers are voting with their pocketbooks. IMHO, if the 10th Generation Accord were perceived as "good looking," it would be selling much better than it is. Clearly, this one's a dud. If American Honda is foolish enough to continue to try to sell it without substantial change, it will suffer "accordingly" (appropriately enough).

luder715
Profile for luder715
Re: I like the chrome brow    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2018 07:48
Yup and with the Altima offering awd it may be bumped to 3rd. The Camry will never most likely be bumped from #1 because of fleet and rental sales. The back is really bad. The overall car is pretty bad looking compared to what it replaced. Would rather have the Honda Spirior than this sold here. If you look at a Spirior than the 10th you will see the similarities but not in a good way. the buyers have spoken which what everyone was saying wait it will sell well. I knew the instant I say it and the specs it was a flop. Don't know how you can fix it without throwing a ton of money at it and still it will look bad. Bad overhangs etc cannot be fixed with a new front or rear end. Never should have been approved designwise. The coupe like roof is not the problem its the whole car. Its like they are "fixing" Acura with the shield crap now they are doing the same with Honda with this brow thing.

I am beginning think Honda wanted this to fail as an excuse to say no one buys sedans, see even the Accord is failing excuse. Then just offer the Civic Sedan. And then build another SUV thing. Like they did with manuals really only offering them in stripper trim levels and saying no one really wants them.

Vtec_rally
Profile for Vtec_rally
Re: I like the chrome brow    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2018 08:28
I'm seeing lots of these on the road now, mostly higher trim models. I really like how it looks. I thought the real reason it's not selling as well as the Camry is becaiuse of the higher lease rates. If I was in the market for a mid-size sedan I would go for 6 speed 2 litre turbo over a Camry any day even if its more expensive. However, I like the fact that the Camry still has a 6 cylinder option but the Accord has better drving dynamics and I like the new design language. Every cab in Toronto is a Camry as well, I don't think I could deal with that.

Grady
Profile for Grady
Re: I like the chrome brow    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2018 08:37
Vtec_rally wrote:
I'm seeing lots of these on the road now, mostly higher trim models. I really like how it looks. I thought the real reason it's not selling as well as the Camry is becaiuse of the higher lease rates. If I was in the market for a mid-size sedan I would go for 6 speed 2 litre turbo over a Camry any day even if its more expensive. However, I like the fact that the Camry still has a 6 cylinder option but the Accord has better drving dynamics and I like the new design language. Every cab in Toronto is a Camry as well, I don't think I could deal with that.

See I think the Camry looks better than Accord and I LOVE Honda products. I just can't talk myself into liking the styling. Every time I see a 10th gen in sport trim I think man that's a nicely styled car.

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: I like the chrome brow    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2018 09:59
I don't think the situation is as bad as some of you are making it out to be.
With that said, I think the problem with the chrome strip is it has the appearance of being flat or level across the top which is an awkward look for a car. It's the same thing they did with the new TLX headlights and why they look awkward, too. Typically you'd expect design elements, especially on the front, to be angled or oriented toward a center point to some degree.
If the strip were body-colored I think it would eliminate most, if not all, awkwardness from the front of the car. Still, it's an Accord and people will buy them no matter what.

CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: I like the chrome brow    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2018 10:12
luder715 wrote:
I am beginning think Honda wanted this to fail as an excuse to say no one buys sedans, see even the Accord is failing excuse. Then just offer the Civic Sedan. And then build another SUV thing. Like they did with manuals really only offering them in stripper trim levels and saying no one really wants them.

As Yogi Berra says... "Nobody goes there anymore. It’s too crowded"

rev2damoon
Profile for rev2damoon
Re: I like the chrome brow    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2018 10:12
Vtec_rally wrote:

Yeah, it's gone from seeing maybe one or two every now and then, to seeing them pretty consistently on a daily basis now. The car does look pretty nice overall, especially the higher trims. Has a nice presence about it IMO. I saw a brand new high trim white one in the parking lot where I work the other day. I think white is definitely one of the best colors for the car. I rag on the Camry's looks a lot as I do prefer the Accord's design, but I can understand folks having different tastes. At the end of the day, neither car looks soooooo offensive that it would turn away customers "en masse" really. That is a fallacy. I just don't see it that way at all. Most people shopping in this class...what's going to win them is money in their pocket and a boat-load of standard features.

Again, the Accord might be superior overall, but the competition isn't so far below to where many people aren't going to take that better deal. I actually find it quite impressive that the Accord is still up there in second place with its higher average prices, loss of coupe & V6 and incentive assault from the competition. I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see the Accord encroaching on the Camry's #1 sales status if prices drop. If Honda keeps selling them at a higher price though...well...

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: I like the chrome brow    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2018 10:47
rev2damoon wrote:
Vtec_rally wrote:

Yeah, it's gone from seeing maybe one or two every now and then, to seeing them pretty consistently on a daily basis now. The car does look pretty nice overall, especially the higher trims. Has a nice presence about it IMO. I saw a brand new high trim white one in the parking lot where I work the other day. I think white is definitely one of the best colors for the car. I rag on the Camry's looks a lot as I do prefer the Accord's design, but I can understand folks having different tastes. At the end of the day, neither car looks soooooo offensive that it would turn away customers "en masse" really. That is a fallacy. I just don't see it that way at all. Most people shopping in this class...what's going to win them is money in their pocket and a boat-load of standard features.

Again, the Accord might be superior overall, but the competition isn't so far below to where many people aren't going to take that better deal. I actually find it quite impressive that the Accord is still up there in second place with its higher average prices, loss of coupe & V6 and incentive assault from the competition. I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see the Accord encroaching on the Camry's #1 sales status if prices drop. If Honda keeps selling them at a higher price though...well...

Exactly.
A couple styling missteps for sure but no true disaster here.
As Shawn pointed out in another thread, Accord is practically a commodity for many of its hundreds of thousands of annual buyers who will continue to buy them.
A few here and there will have a genuine beef with losing the V6 but in the aggregate, once things settle out with incentives, which is actually a substantiated issue, I think Honda won't be looking back with this model. It's universally praised in the automotive press as one of the best driving Hondas in recent memory and has already generated well over a billion in revenue for Honda despite a few niggles with styling and incentives.

ClementZ
Profile for ClementZ
Re: I like the chrome brow    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2018 11:24
I honestly don't understand the hate. Yes, the hoodline is stupid, yes the rear end seems poorly resolved, and I am personally not a fan of fastback profiles on cars as large as this. Is this car better looking than the 9th gen? Not in my opinion. The front end is better than the MMC 9th gen's front end IMO. That said, is it a massive step down, again, not in my opinion.
I still find it more tasteful than the new Camry and its gaping maw and finicky tail-light slits, and the overdesigned Civic (the sedan has grown me, though I still can't stand the coupe or the hatchback) both of which are selling like hotcakes, comparatively speaking.
I think the drop in sales have to do with the fact that the car is more expensive than the competition; while an improvement, it isn't that much better than the 9th gen Accord; people who may have bought the Accord in the past are now going to the CR-V.
I've also heard comments on a lack of features on the top-level 10th gen compared to the last top-level last gen, though I'm not entirely sure what is meant by this.

Trip
Profile for Trip
Re: I like the chrome brow    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2018 13:33
Personally I think they’re both ugly as sin. Saying one is better looking than the other is like saying Rebel Wilson is HAWT compared to Honey BooBoo’s mom. Bleah.... :)~

I agree with r2d. There are just so many options on the market now, the Accord doesn’t justify the premium it once commanded. It’s dynamics might still be a hair above the rest but the styling.... The chrome beak didn’t work for Acura. Why the hell do they think a variation of it would work now?!?!!?

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: I like the chrome brow    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-21-2018 10:37
I stopped by one of my local Honda dealers after work this week and looked at the Accords. I like the car enough to call it my go-to buy should my current Accord blow up or get stolen. It may be the first Accord which I think will look better with a front license plate than without. I see the new Accords in traffic daily now and most of them are Sports with a few Tourings. I think I like the EX/EX-L level alloy wheels better.

I've decided I like everything about the new Camrys except the front bumper and grille. I find the SE grille acceptable in a bold and maybe garish way, if I would consider buying such a car. I could have said the same about the 4WD Crosstour though so I'm not sure it's a compliment. I do not like the LE version at all. There is something about the shiny, glossy finish on all of that plastic in the bumper which makes it look toyish, like the front wing on a current F1 car. The Camry and Accord have moved in different directions with this generation of Camry being a bit more like a KIA but missing the mark a bit and the Accord like a Chevrolet but with 150% of whatever panache there is there.

I've been thinking about why Americans who have bought Accords in the past might pass on the new Accord. It's obvious that price is a reason but if styling is also a factor I'm not sure it's because people find the new Accord ugly. From sitting at stoplights looking at the bland sedans most Americans are driving these days, I think most non-car enthusiast people who might have wanted to drive a forward thinking stylish sedan in the past have already moved on to CUVs with most of the folks still buying sedans wanting simple transportation which doesn't bring unnecessary attention to them. There is a car market for folks who specifically want to blend in, to not look pretentious in the cars they drive. I do think Honda is in the sweet spot of the modern, everyday American car market with the loaded-up CRV though. Anyway, regardless of whether we admit it, the most successful, lasting Accord designs have been the simple three box sedans with modest, sedate styling and it now points to the mainstream volume sales sedan being nothing but a commodity with blandness and low price and not value being the selling points. Having said that, I did see a clean white '04 V6 sedan with the trunk lid spoiler merge into traffic last evening and I thought it was a great looking Honda. I miss ours at times.

My concern is that we all end up driving CUV blobs at some point. If the KIA sedans keep the nicely styled, volume sedan market alive, more power to them. We Americans walked away from cool sports coupes. It looks like we're now trying to give up on cool sedans.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0