[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
This 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec is wearing an exclusive new shade of blue
More.......................
2019 Pilot gets upgraded with standard LED headlights and "Telematics"
Sources: 2019 HR-V adds Sport trim, loses 6MT option
All-new 2019 Acura RDX Makes Road Debut as Official Vehicle of Rally Cycling Alongside NSX Supercar
Clarity Electric still available for $199/month lease, but down payment has increased $600
Driving impressions: Hondata's FlashPro for the FK8 Civic Type R
American Honda Reports April Sales Results
Honda reveals Everus EV Concept at Beijing International Auto Show
General Talk --> Re: I just realized
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: 2020 NSX Type-R
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic MMC rumors?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Porsche Macan S weight distro: 56.7/43.3
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Electronic rear view mirrors - one thing I don't like
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 2019 RDX Trim Levels
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Beat a Mirai to the H2 station last night New style H70 pumps
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Spanish Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla - facts behind the mirage
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Mishimoto Catch Can - What For?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Moto GP Spoiler
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2018 Indy 500
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Spare Wheel Kit: Damaged Wheel
Join Discussion......
Photo Gallery - Some other cars from 2019 NYIAS
Read Article....................
TOV Video: 2019 Acura RDX Walk-around with LPL Steve Hansen
TOV Photo Gallery: 2018 North American International Auto Show
2018 Acura RLX PR Photo Gallery
TOV First Drive: 2018 Honda Accord
2018 Honda Accord Specifications and Features (FINAL)

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Honda concept previews upcoming Brio

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Honda concept previews upcoming Brio    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-19-2018 12:25
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
https://www.motor1.com/news/239676/honda-small-rs-concept/

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Honda concept previews upcoming Brio    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-19-2018 12:48
Let's punch holes in the hood of every concept now to invoke that "Type-R heritage".
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Honda concept previews upcoming Brio    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-19-2018 12:58
DCR wrote:
Let's punch holes in the hood of every concept now to invoke that "Type-R heritage".

it could be that the tiny little engine is pressurized to within an inch of its life and it also needs an easy route for all that underhood heat to escape. It looks like the engine compartment holds all of about 12 liters in that little Brio.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Honda concept previews upcoming Brio    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-19-2018 13:13
I was wondering if there was a Honda generator or lawnmower engine in there.
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Honda concept previews upcoming Brio    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-19-2018 13:20

rev2damoon
Profile for rev2damoon
Re: Honda concept previews upcoming Brio    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-19-2018 13:50
Awww, that's cute.🤭
Potenza
Profile for Potenza
Re: Honda concept previews upcoming Brio    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-19-2018 14:12
DCR wrote:
Actually I think the car is meant to invoke RS heritage, which came long before.

Historically, all the original Civic and Accord generations had various scoops and vents on their hoods. So maybe it's just heritage in general.

I don't think this concept looks great, but I also don't feel the need to be particularly cynical about an Indonesian RS concept car.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Honda concept previews upcoming Brio    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-19-2018 15:35
NealX wrote:

I think it's cool looking. I love how it looks like a Choro Q FK8 Civic Type R!

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Honda concept previews upcoming Brio    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-19-2018 15:39
Potenza wrote:
I don't think this concept looks great, but I also don't feel the need to be particularly cynical about an Indonesian RS concept car.

How about the side fender vent thing? Heritage?

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Honda concept previews upcoming Brio    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-19-2018 16:03
DCR wrote:
Potenza wrote:

How about the side fender vent thing? Heritage?

But of course. Those old Hondas had lots of RUST.

Midi_Amp
Profile for Midi_Amp
Re: Honda concept previews upcoming Brio    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-19-2018 17:02
Indonesian Brio owner here and wow, the reveal was quite a surprise. So like overseas "prototype", this is basically the next generation Honda Brio minus the rear view mirrors, that huge wing, and the hood scoop. Indonesian tax law is a bit weird for turbocharged engine where it's penalised on the tax code for being a "two engine" solution and got taxed more. So I don't see the hood has anything to do with performance other than just for looks. Since Honda Indonesia is run by penny pinchers (the whole Mobilio line is the fruit from penny pinching tree), I don't see the car will have those crazy bits in the final trim.

The car also looked like it's modified from the existing platform, the A pillar lines and hood insert looks the same. Which is a bummer for me. The Mobilio line suffers from same sausage different lengths ethos. All 4 cars, Brio, Amaze, Mobilio, BR-V shares the same width. Which means the Brio is quite a girthy car for its compact mini class. However, with the competition, especially Mitsubishi Expander rides on a wider platform, the shoulder and head room is far beyond what the Mobilio and BR-V offers. I hope the new Brio is wider to allow its bigger siblings a figthing chance in the market where currently Honda is struggling... A whole damn lot.

fishchan
Profile for fishchan
Re: Honda concept previews upcoming Brio    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-19-2018 20:41
I kind of like it actually. And like others point out, reminds of the old Civic.
Just not sure the actual production will look like that at all.

P.S. the side vent is for optional the fire spitting side exhaust.

fishchan
Profile for fishchan
Re: Honda concept previews upcoming Brio    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-19-2018 20:46
Comparson

Yea this looks like a MMC redesign.

blackstripe77
Profile for blackstripe77
Re: Honda concept previews upcoming Brio    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-19-2018 21:30
Actually looks kinda cool from the front. Great stance. And makes me kind of regret not going to RE71 for my latest set of tires.

The rear is kinda meh, though. Would have preferred something more squared off like the EV concept.

I wonder if something like this would give the Swift Sport a run for its money if it had a 140hp 1.2T or similar, and came equipped with LED headlights, sticky tires and an interior as decent as the one in the Honda Jazz.

Midi_Amp
Profile for Midi_Amp
Re: Honda concept previews upcoming Brio    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-19-2018 22:24
fishchan wrote:
Comparson

Yea this looks like a MMC redesign.

This is what I mentioned about the Mobilio line is the fruit from penny pinching tree. The biggest change is in the rear, but the same front doors, fenders, front bumper, shared headlights with refresh MMC, probably runs on the same chassis as the old one (from the A pillar design, it certainly is). In the Mobilio family line, the only saving grace is the sweet sweet L15A engine. It revs hard to the redline, has good efficiency down low and healthy 120PS, all of 1.5L engine in the segment maxed out at 109/110PS. Even the L12A in the Brio has similar characteristic thanks to less weight to push... Other than the engine, the line basically garbage. Cheap looking interiors, cheap materials, thin sound proofing and worse, all cars shares the same thing.

The recently launched Honda Amaze (Brio Sedan) in India previews a much better interior though.

Honda is getting a beating in the segment, I hope the new major model change is offering a much better interior quality, ride and NVH.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Honda concept previews upcoming Brio    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2018 05:36
Midi_Amp wrote:
Indonesian Brio owner here and wow, the reveal was quite a surprise. So like overseas "prototype", this is basically the next generation Honda Brio minus the rear view mirrors, that huge wing, and the hood scoop. Indonesian tax law is a bit weird for turbocharged engine where it's penalised on the tax code for being a "two engine" solution and got taxed more. So I don't see the hood has anything to do with performance other than just for looks. Since Honda Indonesia is run by penny pinchers (the whole Mobilio line is the fruit from penny pinching tree), I don't see the car will have those crazy bits in the final trim.

The car also looked like it's modified from the existing platform, the A pillar lines and hood insert looks the same. Which is a bummer for me. The Mobilio line suffers from same sausage different lengths ethos. All 4 cars, Brio, Amaze, Mobilio, BR-V shares the same width. Which means the Brio is quite a girthy car for its compact mini class. However, with the competition, especially Mitsubishi Expander rides on a wider platform, the shoulder and head room is far beyond what the Mobilio and BR-V offers. I hope the new Brio is wider to allow its bigger siblings a figthing chance in the market where currently Honda is struggling... A whole damn lot.

I understood that the market generally found the original Brio far too cheap and nasty and that Honda was ashamed and decided to engineer the next-gen to world-standards. Possibly with an eye to world sales?

I would therefore expect it to be substantially re-engineered, despite looking like a mere re-skin.

Midi_Amp
Profile for Midi_Amp
Re: Honda concept previews upcoming Brio    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2018 06:40
Nick GravesX wrote:
Midi_Amp wrote:

I understood that the market generally found the original Brio far too cheap and nasty and that Honda was ashamed and decided to engineer the next-gen to world-standards. Possibly with an eye to world sales?

I would therefore expect it to be substantially re-engineered, despite looking like a mere re-skin.

I know some people who works in Honda Indonesia and third party suppliers, and knowing how the company works, likely it's a carryover. The Brio actually sells quite well despite its cheapness, even the Mobilio managed (past tense) to propel Honda sales from a distant 7 to be top 3 brand in Indonesia automotive scene a few years back.

All I can say is that, we're not as "sensitive" as American/European car buyers. We are after all, a country where a car model cycle can run up to 10 years (many Toyota models) unopposed and still in high demand. So a cheap car isn't a bad thing if you can keep up the trim levels and the "perceived value" is high.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0