[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
This 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec is wearing an exclusive new shade of blue
More.......................
2019 Pilot gets upgraded with standard LED headlights and "Telematics"
More.......................
Sources: 2019 HR-V adds Sport trim, loses 6MT option
More.......................
All-new 2019 Acura RDX Makes Road Debut as Official Vehicle of Rally Cycling Alongside NSX Supercar
More.......................
Clarity Electric still available for $199/month lease, but down payment has increased $600
More.......................
Driving impressions: Hondata's FlashPro for the FK8 Civic Type R
More.......................
American Honda Reports April Sales Results
More.......................
Honda reveals Everus EV Concept at Beijing International Auto Show
More.......................
General Talk --> Re: Electronic rear view mirrors - one thing I don't like
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic MMC rumors?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Porsche Macan S weight distro: 56.7/43.3
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 2019 RDX Trim Levels
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Beat a Mirai to the H2 station last night New style H70 pumps
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Spanish Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: 2020 NSX Type-R
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla - facts behind the mirage
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Mishimoto Catch Can - What For?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Moto GP Spoiler
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2018 Indy 500
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Spare Wheel Kit: Damaged Wheel
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX Production Starts
Join Discussion......
Audio & Electronics --> Re: iOS 11 breaks just about all Bluetooth Functionality, 2013-15 Accord—** UPDATE **
Join Discussion......
Photo Gallery - Some other cars from 2019 NYIAS
Read Article....................
TOV Video: 2019 Acura RDX Walk-around with LPL Steve Hansen
Read Article....................
TOV Photo Gallery: 2018 North American International Auto Show
Read Article....................
2018 Acura RLX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
TOV First Drive: 2018 Honda Accord
Read Article....................
2018 Honda Accord Specifications and Features (FINAL)
Read Article....................

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Repair and Maintenance > > Re: Aussie Oil Change

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
Kadillak
Profile for Kadillak
Aussie Oil Change    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-29-2018 21:13
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I am an American on an expat assignment in Melbourne Australia. We own a 2017 Civic Hatchback which is due for its first oil change. I have been completely taken back by the costs I have been quoted for a basic oil change (ie conventional oil and a filter).

The local Honda deal quoted $225 and the cheapest price I found at Kmart Automotive is $175. I know life is more expensive in Australia but even considering the exchange rate, the average cost of an oil change is about 3 times higher than what a Honda dealer in the US would charge and 5 times higher than the $30 special at my independent Honda mechanic. How can this be?

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Aussie Oil Change    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-29-2018 21:23
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I would do it myself, and yes those prices are outrageous!
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Aussie Oil Change    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-18-2018 18:10
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Kadillak wrote:
I am an American on an expat assignment in Melbourne Australia. We own a 2017 Civic Hatchback which is due for its first oil change. I have been completely taken back by the costs I have been quoted for a basic oil change (ie conventional oil and a filter).

The local Honda deal quoted $225 and the cheapest price I found at Kmart Automotive is $175. I know life is more expensive in Australia but even considering the exchange rate, the average cost of an oil change is about 3 times higher than what a Honda dealer in the US would charge and 5 times higher than the $30 special at my independent Honda mechanic. How can this be?



I think the typical Aussie Oil Change comes with three pints of ethanol and a small jar of Vegemite to effect the accompanying Technicolor Yawn expected when you pay the bill.

Oz tradition is that your eat the Vegemite and drink the ethanol quickly while sitting in the waiting room as they change the oil. When presented with the bill you are suppose to act accordingly in fine 1860s Australian Behavior.

"Bloody Hell!! Hey Mate! That's a lot of... baaaaaaaaaawwwwhhhhh... baaaaaawwwh... cough.. belch.. BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWHHHHH... hmmmrph money!

You got a mint?"






blackstripe77
Profile for blackstripe77
Re: Aussie Oil Change    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-18-2018 21:35
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
In Australia, oil in Honda engines are filled until there is oil coming out of the top of the engine, so you're actually paying for more oil.

https://youtu.be/wx6sRCelBss


Fan Koni
Profile for Fan Koni
Re: Aussie Oil Change    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-19-2018 08:54
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Parts, oil (both imports) and labour costs...
At the dealer you'll at least get good parts vs kmart.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Aussie Oil Change    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-19-2018 09:11
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I usually perform my own oil changes using OEM Honda filter and a 5qt jug of Pennzoil platinum. That usually ends up costing me about $35 with tax. Last week I had the oil changed in our 2017 Si for the first time. That took 24 minutes and cost me $42. They used Honda synthetic oil. I need to look to see if that included the filter. I think Honda actually only recommends changing the filter every other oil change, so I'm guessing they didn't change it.
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Aussie Oil Change    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-19-2018 13:44
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
blackstripe77 wrote:
In Australia, oil in Honda engines are filled until there is oil coming out of the top of the engine, so you're actually paying for more oil.

https://youtu.be/wx6sRCelBss




So cars in Australia belch, burp and puke like their owners?

Hmm... figures.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Aussie Oil Change    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-19-2018 14:48
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
JeffX wrote:
I usually perform my own oil changes using OEM Honda filter and a 5qt jug of Pennzoil platinum. That usually ends up costing me about $35 with tax. Last week I had the oil changed in our 2017 Si for the first time. That took 24 minutes and cost me $42. They used Honda synthetic oil. I need to look to see if that included the filter. I think Honda actually only recommends changing the filter every other oil change, so I'm guessing they didn't change it.


Dealers don't charge too much for an oil change.... that's why we have the dealer change the wiper blades in the unusual circumstance when we hold on to a car that long.


CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: Aussie Oil Change    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2018 10:21
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
JeffX wrote:
I think Honda actually only recommends changing the filter every other oil change, so I'm guessing they didn't change it.


Yes...that is Honda's recommendation. But I have always had a problem with putting almost 1/2 a quart of old, filthy oil in with the fresh oil...which is what you are doing, when you don't change the filter.

So, I always do a filter change at each oil change.


JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Aussie Oil Change    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2018 10:37
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
CB77 wrote:
JeffX wrote:
I think Honda actually only recommends changing the filter every other oil change, so I'm guessing they didn't change it.


Yes...that is Honda's recommendation. But I have always had a problem with putting almost 1/2 a quart of old, filthy oil in with the fresh oil...which is what you are doing, when you don't change the filter.

So, I always do a filter change at each oil change.




as do I. Because I automatically change the filter every time I perform my own oil change, I didn't think about it until after the fact, but ultimately I'm not super concerned with this car since we're only "renting" this one for 3 years. We're following factory recommendations and it will be under warranty the entire time it's in our possession.


CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: Aussie Oil Change    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2018 11:11
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply

In the grand scheme of things...it is unlikely that leaving a little over a cup of dirty oil in the filter is much of a factor (if any) since it is diluted with 4.5 quarts of fresh oil. But I just don't like the idea of doing that, since I usually put 100,000 miles on each Accord before trade-in time. Probably just being anal (or just an asshole).

:-)



 
Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0