[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
American Honda Reports December Sales
More.......................
American Honda Reports November Sales
2019 Honda Passport Makes World Debut: Adventure-Ready All-New 5-passenger SUV at 2018 LA Auto Show
LIVE from Los Angeles: TOV's coverage of the 2019 Honda Passport reveal
First Look: DNA Collectibles releases Urban EV Concept 1:18 scale model
All-New 2019 Honda Passport Starts Adventure with Global Debut in Los Angeles
2019 CR-V goes on sale with few changes, nominal price increase
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
General Talk --> Suzuki Grand Vitara experience?
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Accord back in the family
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: My talk with Honda's Motorsports Boss
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Toyota Supra
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: BMW trying to out ugly Lexus
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Cars for a mid life crisis
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Honda's new marking word - "Spay-flu"
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Incomplete recall
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Documentary - the true price of electric mobility
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Non-Type S ?
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Torque Capacity of 10 Speed Auto
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: ICE to FCEV "engine" swap
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Hondata Flashpro for 2019 RDX
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Civic 8th gen engine swap
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: I have an RDX service loaner
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > TSX > > Re: TSX V6 Vibrations between 60-80mph

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
SHOBU
Profile for SHOBU
TSX V6 Vibrations between 60-80mph    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-27-2017 15:59
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Wanted opinion of anyone that had the same type of issue.

When pressing the accelerator between 60 and 80 mph the car vibrates pretty badly ... steering wheel does not really shake.

No vibrations when not accelerating or below/above indicated speeds with acceleration

My Acura dealership said it was a "bent" rim by only visually inspecting the tires.

Took it to my cousin who works at a GM dealership which had electronics/machines to check balance of wheel/tire. He said the rims are fine but one of the tires had a shifted belt.

Tires were fairly new as I changed them last year so I replaced/balanced the one tire ... problem has not gone away.

Next step, my cousin has the same year TSX but 4 cylinder version so we are going to exchange the tires of our cars to see if vibration disappears ... if not then we think it could be the drive shafts? I am hoping not as the OEM ones here in Canada are $1000 for each one ... and the OEM rim is around $900 which is not cheap either.

Has anyone had experience with this type of thing or had a similar issue? What have you found?

Any input is greatly appreciated as I hate throwing money at this "chasing" the problem.

Thanks.

typer_801
Profile for typer_801
Re: TSX V6 Vibrations between 60-80mph    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-27-2017 17:00
Did you look at the Axles yet? If a CV joint is on it's way out, accelerating creates a vibration like a out of balance tire.
Fan Koni
Profile for Fan Koni
Re: TSX V6 Vibrations between 60-80mph    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-27-2017 20:03
Had the Cv joints / shafts replaced on the MT version.
Aftermarket but new ones, not rebuilt versions I'd suggest.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: TSX V6 Vibrations between 60-80mph    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-28-2017 02:38
SHOBU wrote:
Wanted opinion of anyone that had the same type of issue.

When pressing the accelerator between 60 and 80 mph the car vibrates pretty badly ... steering wheel does not really shake.

No vibrations when not accelerating or below/above indicated speeds with acceleration

My Acura dealership said it was a "bent" rim by only visually inspecting the tires.

Took it to my cousin who works at a GM dealership which had electronics/machines to check balance of wheel/tire. He said the rims are fine but one of the tires had a shifted belt.

Tires were fairly new as I changed them last year so I replaced/balanced the one tire ... problem has not gone away.

Next step, my cousin has the same year TSX but 4 cylinder version so we are going to exchange the tires of our cars to see if vibration disappears ... if not then we think it could be the drive shafts? I am hoping not as the OEM ones here in Canada are $1000 for each one ... and the OEM rim is around $900 which is not cheap either.

Has anyone had experience with this type of thing or had a similar issue? What have you found?

Any input is greatly appreciated as I hate throwing money at this "chasing" the problem.

Thanks.

A tire balance issue will occur at set speeds (it is a harmonic vibration, so it will come in multiples of the lowest speed, but usually is most common around 70-80MPH) and it will occur regardless of throttle position. You will typically only feel it in the steering wheel if it is one of the front wheels and not the back.

If it only happens under power, then it is most likely a driveshaft problem or an engine mount problem.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: TSX V6 Vibrations between 60-80mph    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-28-2017 08:52
Not clear whether you balanced all four wheels?

It's the easiest place to start and a lost balance weight on the rear can produce weird vibrations up front!

Do V6s rip their engine mounts as easily as Leg Ends and Ludes do? It's quite a common failing.

SHOBU
Profile for SHOBU
Re: TSX V6 Vibrations between 60-80mph    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-28-2017 10:09
I am starting to suspect axle / drive shaft

Between 60 and 80 when I am not accelerating the car does not really vibrate ... below 60 the car behaves 100% normal.

As soon as I apply power between 60 and 80 the steering wheel does not move but the car vibrates ... rear passengers told me they can actually see my front seat "shake"

When I apply power > 80 mph vibration is no longer there or not as badly.

All wheels have been checked for balance and supposedly rims are OK ... that's why we are going to do one final test which is swap my tires with my cousin's TSX ... (same year just 4 cylinder version ... so tires will be one inch smaller) to see if the vibration persists or not.

Could not believe the price of OEM drive shaft components, way too much to put on an 7/8 year old car now.

I will probably go with after market ... my cousin said he can get some that are made in Japan for around 200$ Canadian.

Any suggestions of any brands to buy or stay away from in terms of aftermarket?

SHOBU
Profile for SHOBU
Re: TSX V6 Vibrations between 60-80mph    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-08-2018 11:00
So finally had an Acura dealership confirm it is the Drive Shafts causing the vibrations.

I opted to have them fix it instead of my cousin so I can get some form of warranty.

They pushed to have the OEM parts but I said I was not willing to spend that amount of money on an 8 year old car (OEM is $2000 CAD total for both)

So then they said they would install TRAKMOTIVE ones which are about $400 CAD total for both + labor and I get a 1 year warranty.

Has anyone used TRAKMOTIVE before as far as shafts go ... anything I should be worried about?

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0