[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
This 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec is wearing an exclusive new shade of blue
More.......................
2019 Pilot gets upgraded with standard LED headlights and "Telematics"
Sources: 2019 HR-V adds Sport trim, loses 6MT option
All-new 2019 Acura RDX Makes Road Debut as Official Vehicle of Rally Cycling Alongside NSX Supercar
Clarity Electric still available for $199/month lease, but down payment has increased $600
Driving impressions: Hondata's FlashPro for the FK8 Civic Type R
American Honda Reports April Sales Results
Honda reveals Everus EV Concept at Beijing International Auto Show
General Talk --> Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Electronic rear view mirrors - one thing I don't like
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic MMC rumors?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Porsche Macan S weight distro: 56.7/43.3
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 2019 RDX Trim Levels
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Beat a Mirai to the H2 station last night New style H70 pumps
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Spanish Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: 2020 NSX Type-R
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla - facts behind the mirage
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Mishimoto Catch Can - What For?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Moto GP Spoiler
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2018 Indy 500
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Spare Wheel Kit: Damaged Wheel
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX Production Starts
Join Discussion......
Audio & Electronics --> Re: iOS 11 breaks just about all Bluetooth Functionality, 2013-15 Accord—** UPDATE **
Join Discussion......
Photo Gallery - Some other cars from 2019 NYIAS
Read Article....................
TOV Video: 2019 Acura RDX Walk-around with LPL Steve Hansen
TOV Photo Gallery: 2018 North American International Auto Show
2018 Acura RLX PR Photo Gallery
TOV First Drive: 2018 Honda Accord
2018 Honda Accord Specifications and Features (FINAL)

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Fuel Cell Technology > > EV or ICE -or how I love my Clarity

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
EV or ICE -or how I love my Clarity    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-05-2017 18:57
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Originally, I posted this on the 'General Talk' forum, but it seems that place is full with clowns who like to waste their time and who are still driving their 95 Civic DX sedans with white painted steel wheels and an unpainted gel white front dam.. and an AT, or course. You know... the crowd with a faded "Powered by Kumho" sticker on the back bumper.

So, looking for an intelligent discussion, I figured I'd copy it here. Hopefully, the people looking at this forum know more about Hondas and engine technology overall.

+++++++++

I love 8150 rpm redline motors... no torque wonders, terrible to live on a daily basis (AP1, that's you) but complete sensory involvement when driven to the redline.

I guess I also love the current CTR motors... sure, a bit boring, but heck with 300bhp, LSD and 6MT.. well... it doesn't have the flat spot of the K20A2 so it just seems to go (I have not driven yet... ).

Then of course we still got the 09 Fit Sport NAVI 5MT which is a go kart with enjoyment that underscores the old saying: "It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow".

However, over the years I have had a change of heart of sorts.

I've started to appreciate smoothness and torque over raw power. It started with the 05 Accord 6MT V6, which despite a horrible clutch and lousy, floaty Accord suspension, offered a J30 motor that was delightful on a straight line. For every thing else that Accord was not, the powertrain, once the clutch hooked up and the wheels stopped axle hopping, reminded me of my 64 1/2 Mustang with its balanced and blueprinted 289 with 3MT and Hurst shifter. Only, better.

Now then, we concurrently moved to the IMA... which was (is) sort of a rubberband on wheels somewhere under the hood: power is a thought, torque is a notion, and neither is obvious. The engine revs, but accelerartion is, ahem, not 'tremendous', yet somehow you manage to get to speed. However, it is smooth and at speed on cruise control you can put lots of miles in comfort. And the economy easily surpases 40 mpg at 80 mph on cruise control. It's a very nice little car, with its NAVI and auto climate control. You can pass Priuses.

The iMMD Accords followed, counterbalanced with the TSX Wagons. The later were not powerful, but their K24s were an oustanding match for the wagon and its suspension. I am sorry we let our last one go. Yet, the iMMD Accords became a revelation. Smoothness, the smoothness that only an electric motor providing acceleration can give you. That diesel-electric feel of a locomotive... a little one perhaps, but sooo smooth. Even at speed, once the ICE hooks up, you can't really notice it because it runs on an overdrive and the ICE is loafing. And off the line, that electric motor provides gobs of instant on response. Fantastic powertrain to deal with heavy freeway traffic indeed. The "B" setting in the shifter is a wonderful tool for slowing down without hitting the brakes.

The TLX V6 SH-AWD was an interesting side trip. The J35 in that car is so smooth too, the AT9 is interesting to say the least, but the car, no matter how many gears, simply never felt as smooth as the iMMDs. I mean, we're talking Honda smoothness here... not saying the TLX felt like a Plymouth Horizon.

Now we've progressed to the Clarity FC (test drove the BEV version too, everything that applies to the FC, applies to the BEV). Once again, the electric motor runs the show but this time there is NO ICE, no transmission, no gears, nada... in the FC you get the woosh of the fan, in the BEV it's even quieter.

At speed, the FC is slick, I mean SLICK. It's not Dragon Slayer Fast (*) but it shares with iMMD that deep down torque (**) that gives it the "ease" of driving it. You want power now? Punch it, it's here, no need to wait. Immediate response. Wanna drive fast, no problem, it gets there.

But, the FC (and BEV) adds a new dimension: it's fluid. There are no vibrations from the ICE. It also has more power than the iMMD. You're doing 65 behind some klutz on the car pool lane and want to go around him at the next opportunity, no problem, just punch it and the thing will smoothly, oily, accelerate to 90, just like that.. and suddenly you are going faster than everyone around you... but there are NO powertrain vibrations at all. None. Never felt it. Dang!

And, oh, all along you can keep a conversation in the cabin with the backseat at normal conversational levels.

++++

I believe now that the future is indeed EV. Not for efficiency, hell not, gas is damn cheap and a great source of efficient fuel.

But from a driver's perspective, I think the EV is the answer. If we can move to a H2 infrastructure and drop the price to a reasonable level (*), I truly believe you will all seriously enjoy this.

A CTR with a big fuel cell (actually it's small) would be an awesome design. Imagine all that torque and top power.. perhaps add a two speed AT for the EV even.... who knows?

If we must, an iMMD design, would be a good compromise.

Indeed, I'm keeping my eyes peeled for iMMD across the Honda line.. and hopefully iMMD with eSH-AWD which would be an awesome design...

Or, the ultimate, IMHO, FC with eSH-AWD.... four motors, two TMUs, one cigar....

I think Honda Motors is changing... and in many ways, I concur with the path they're taking.

The ICE is dead, long live the EV.

(*) I got to test drive a Tesla S with the big battery set up. Aside for what are in IMHO terrible ergonomics, the thing is a beast, a great beast. I mean it hauls ass and it handles rather well. I sort of wish AHM would introduce an Acura version of an EV and give it the balls that the Tesla has.

(**) It's hard to really explain, it may be just that instant response, I don't know. The best way to explain it is to go listen to a Magnepan speaker at low to reasonable volumes and notice how you can hear the bass... whereas with a direct radiator speaker (cones) you don't have that... you got to turn it up to hear the bass. Same with the EV... you can feel the power deep down whereas with the ICE you got to punch it and rev it to get it.

(***) In our experience, a Kg of H2 is the equivalent of roughly two to three gallons of gasoline or more... we get 65 mpKg in our FC, which is a heavy car. I have seen 70 mpKg when I use the Sport setting to goose the charge on the batteries with regen when I coast or slow down.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0