[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
More.......................
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
American Honda Reports July Sales Results
Official statement from Honda concerning flooding of Celaya factory
News from the dealer side: 2019 HR-V, Fit, and Insight production impacted due to flooding in Celaya
2019 Honda HR-V updated with styling tweaks, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, and available Honda Sensing
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
RDX --> RDX - Why Espresso Interior with Grey Headliner??
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX is Top Safety Pick+
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: European HRV with 1.5 L VTEC Turbo engine coming Spring 2019
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Alaska Airlines plane hijacked
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Extremely fitting
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: The FB Clarity FCEV group is full of shit
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Alonso Quits F1
Join Discussion......
Honda Motorcycles --> Re: Retro Honda CBX returning - yes it has an L6. July 12-18
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Local dealer has a bunch of new 17 Accord Tourings in front of building.
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Navigation and Subtle Aromatherapy
Join Discussion......
Pilot --> Re: 2019 Pilot "Black Edition"
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Re:Honda Debuts 2019 Civic Sport in Sedan and Coupe Form
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Here's What to Expect Daily Driving a 2017 Civic Type R
Join Discussion......
Fit (and Jazz) --> 2018 Honda Fit Sport Review - Back to Basics
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Strictly Technical > > Re: Krell audio system

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Krell audio system    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-22-2017 23:04
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
How much of that system relies on the head unit and software? I understand each speaker has it's own independent 50-watt amp and the subwoofer has it's own 100-watt.

Are there any special pre-set calibrations embedded beyond the general user adjustments such as bass, treble, balances etc?

I want a 2011 Civic Navi head unit for my Acura Vigor for many reasons, biggest ones being it's old enough to look fit for most of the interior and it does all the modern functions I'll need it to do without being extra. I'm not as tech biased as my generation truly is and I don't want jut any off the shelf radio. I want this to be OEM for all reasons.

From my understanding the Civic has a 350-Watt "Premium Audio System" with 7 Speakers including Subwoofer. I know it probably doesn't do the Krell speakers any justice but perhaps all those Krell amps need are the signals and they do all the work. After all, the amps themselves have the same quality bipolar power transistors used in flagship Krell home amplifiers. So they can probably do something...

I do plan to use all the original Krell things from the RLX excluding the head unit itself - in place the Civic Navi unit.

I believe you're not supposed to send amplified signals into another amp... so I'll have to figure out if the Civic unit has a built in amp and how to bypass it or if it's just a separate amp.

Acura Vigor with the Krell Audio.... sounds amazing.
Pun intended!

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Krell audio system    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-23-2017 02:04
The Krell system is tuned for the acoustics of the RoLeX... For the price, I would suggest a different route.

Which Vigor did you get? The GS had the five speaker set up with the center in a console just behind the rear view mirror.

OTOH, the RoLeX with Krell, in the garage, ought to make a basement price entry into the High End Audio. A typical stereo Krell amp runs five figures... entry level... They do make an integrated amp that runs about 3k i think, it sounds very good too.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Krell audio system    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-23-2017 06:04
You've got a few things to consider, combining apples and oranges. well, amperes and ohms, in fact.

As a first, it's the signal level coming out of the head unit - is it too much for the Krell amps? Have you got enough output channels?

The other thing the the latter's impedance - if it is insufficient for the HU's amp, that will probably blow before too long.

Is there space in the doors, etc, for all those speaker/amp units? They may be somewhat larger than the originals.

I should have thought that if the '11 set-up in its entirety has sufficient output and the sub, it should make a decent enough sound for a noisy old Honda. You could always add another small amp to the non-sub channels, if it needs a boost.

You probably ought to talk to an audio shop/forum - and look at the stickers on the back of this stuff - as a first.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Krell audio system    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-23-2017 09:48
Good points here already. First, I doubt Krell did anything for Acura other than license the use of their name. Looking through Honda's parts diagrams, the drivers are made by Foster, the navigation unit by Alpine, and the TFT display by Panasonic. The actual amp circuit board may be built into the navigation unit or in a separate box which I haven't identified from Honda's descriptions.

I was surprised when Acura announced the Krell option for the RLX because this type of audio isn't remotely close to Krell's mission in life. An amplifier is a wire with gain applied, right? The secret to high-end audio amps is the cleanliness of the signal path and the type and build quality of the transformers, usually meaning size and weight. It would be similar to Honda doing something like, I don't know, putting their name on an airplane.

Krell seems to be playing along even though they include the Jeff Conrad comment about the system.

http://www.krellonline.com/acura.html

The RLX amp section inputs would be at a pre-amp level but you would then need to match that level, whatever it is. There are all sorts of equipment available which matches everything up at a cost. The drivers themselves do not have the amps built-in so the amplification is most likely built into one control "amp box" behind the dash, if you could find it. The RLX has several of those boxes ranging in price from $1k to close to $5k list. It may be an Accord+ but it has close to $20k (list) worth of electronic gear behind the dash.

Your idea of using a Civic single DIN head unit seems like the way to go. I think I'd see about plugging it straight into the harness and run either Focal or Infinity Kappa drivers. The thought of adapting the RLX Krell system into another car would be very expensive but a cool idea.

It looks like a Carmax in Atlanta has a 2014 RLX with 47k miles and the Krell system for $27k.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Krell audio system    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-23-2017 10:55
This is going to be both a waste of time and money, if you even land on a satisfactory result.

OEM car audio rarely has open interfaces like aftermarket does, making aftermarket or a complete OEM system the way to go (if you can even wire it in to a different car).

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Krell audio system    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-23-2017 12:45
Grace141 wrote:
Good points here already. First, I doubt Krell did anything for Acura other than license the use of their name. Looking through Honda's parts diagrams, the drivers are made by Foster, the navigation unit by Alpine, and the TFT display by Panasonic. The actual amp circuit board may be built into the navigation unit or in a separate box which I haven't identified from Honda's descriptions.

I was surprised when Acura announced the Krell option for the RLX because this type of audio isn't remotely close to Krell's mission in life. An amplifier is a wire with gain applied, right? The secret to high-end audio amps is the cleanliness of the signal path and the type and build quality of the transformers, usually meaning size and weight. It would be similar to Honda doing something like, I don't know, putting their name on an airplane.

Krell seems to be playing along even though they include the Jeff Conrad comment about the system.

The RLX amp section inputs would be at a pre-amp level but you would then need to match that level, whatever it is. There are all sorts of equipment available which matches everything up at a cost. The drivers themselves do not have the amps built-in so the amplification is most likely built into one control "amp box" behind the dash, if you could find it. The RLX has several of those boxes ranging in price from $1k to close to $5k list. It may be an Accord+ but it has close to $20k (list) worth of electronic gear behind the dash.

Your idea of using a Civic single DIN head unit seems like the way to go. I think I'd see about plugging it straight into the harness and run either Focal or Infinity Kappa drivers. The thought of adapting the RLX Krell system into another car would be very expensive but a cool idea.

It looks like a Carmax in Atlanta has a 2014 RLX with 47k miles and the Krell system for $27k.

I read (listened) the Krell articles about this. They did the R&D, spec'd the components and voiced the system. They don't have the manufacturing capacity to build at this volume or price point.

I briefly heard the system and it's AWESOME. Not just for a car, it's awesome period.

I think he ought to get a good DIN sized unit with one of those built in slide out screens (NAVI, bluetooth...), add a good amp and replace the stock speakers. Maybe have an audio shop add tweeters up in the A pillars up front.

There are so many secrets/vatations to audio amps: I got a tube amp running push-pull, Class A FET amps, Class AB SS amps, Class D ICE amps, you name it... there are so many ways to make them all work. And they all sound different. To my ears, the simpler the path, like Nelson Pass and most tubes, the better the sound.

$27K.... Unfortunately living in Calimexistan the DMV likely has rules, decrees, regulations.... Did you know that if a manufacturer sells a car in Calimexistan that was originally planned for sale in another state they have to pay for the Calimexistan paperwork. It's the SAME FRICKIN' CAR, the same thing, but our local Soviet Kommisars want the extra money to declare the car is legal in the Soviet Republick of Calimexistan.

That means, I could not register that RoLeX without paying fines, sales taxes, smog re-registration, etc, etc...

longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: Krell audio system    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-23-2017 20:23
Grace141 wrote:

I was wondering how Krell was pulling this off, I knew it had to be third party because as you stated they do not capability to do OEM audio. Krell the company is exactly doing well itself being in the hands of investor group and the man who was the brains Dan Agostino being forced out of the company.

https://hometheaterreview.com/what-happened-at-krell-and-why-the-dagostino-family-is-out/

The point of the matter is expect this Krell case to be a one and done. Maybe its time for Panasonic to find another marketing name that has some brand strength (unless you are in the music industry one has no idea who the esteem Elliot Schiener is).

The Krell is good, I just think its one and done, and the fact it did not show up in Acura's most important flagship, the NSX is telling.

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: Krell audio system    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-23-2017 20:47
I just want the system in my Vigor to make it even more unique since Krell is so likely to be one and done but people here don't really want to acknowledge that.

I'm not afraid of challenges of the Krell system and Civic HU being polar opposites. If I was afraid of a challenge like that I would have not bought a Vigor in the condition it was in JUST to do what I have already done to it.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Krell audio system    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-23-2017 23:24
Hondatalover wrote:
I just want the system in my Vigor to make it even more unique since Krell is so likely to be one and done but people here don't really want to acknowledge that.

I'm not afraid of challenges of the Krell system and Civic HU being polar opposites. If I was afraid of a challenge like that I would have not bought a Vigor in the condition it was in JUST to do what I have already done to it.

Risk versus reward, young man. It is a concept we learn after it is too late.

No one in this galaxy outside of yourself will care about jamming an OEM-ish audio system in your car, but these "challenges" can be impossibilities and outside of that, it might sound half as good as it is supposed to due to cobbling.

A stage of my life was fully consumed with professional car audio (12 years), and there was no bigger nightmare than OEM interface.

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: Krell audio system    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-24-2017 00:07
DCR wrote:
Hondatalover wrote:

No one in this galaxy outside of yourself will care about jamming an OEM-ish audio system in your car, but these "challenges" can be impossibilities and outside of that, it might sound half as good as it is supposed to due to cobbling.

A stage of my life was fully consumed with professional car audio (12 years), and there was no bigger nightmare than OEM interface.

Why does the OEM have to be a PIA for?

I will be ok and probably pleased with the stock Civic system with better speakers) but something about saying "my Acura Vigor has a Krell Audio system" to people is tugging at my leg.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Krell audio system    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-24-2017 01:30
Hondatalover wrote:

If that's the object, then put a couple of Nelson Pass amps in your trunk.... Now, THAT's gonna be Audio Nirvana. Then install some Maggie minis.

Just make sure to beef up your alternator and don't run the stereo unless the motor is running. ;-)

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Krell audio system    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-24-2017 05:48
Hondatalover wrote:
DCR wrote:
Hondatalover wrote:

I will be ok and probably pleased with the stock Civic system with better speakers) but something about saying "my Acura Vigor has a Krell Audio system" to people is tugging at my leg.

I understand that, but since Krell is merely a marketing name on OEM stuff, are you sure you're not falling for the Emperor's New Clothes syndrome? You'll be buying an Armani shirt next!

After all, the Bose components in the NSX really aren't that special - fluffy speaker cones etc.

If you were (for some reason) wanted to retain the Honda speakers in the doors, then it might make sense.

But the reason we have to pay so much for sound systems in modern cars (whether Boesartig, Carmen Hardon, Chevy Levinson or Krill) is that the things are so embedded, it's impossible to rip them out and install your own. Thank Tada that the 86 comes simply with a double-DIN hole.

And beware that audiophilia is where mental illness lies - beyond a certain point, the benefits start being imaginary unless you are a particularly perfect-pitched musician.

But never take our word for it - have a look at the components/circuit diagrams of a KC first...I cannot even find the components on there, so good luck!

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Krell audio system    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-24-2017 07:59
I hate to say it but the simple approach might be to find similar Foster drivers and glue some "KRELL" labels onto the door panel covers. Those Foster drivers should be excellent, by the way, unlike most of the Panasonic and Matsushita OEM drivers in the Accords and Civics. I'm sure Tony is correct about Krell providing consulting time to Honda for voicing the system in the RLX but the only significant claim I see from Krell is their amp section achieves 1/3rd less distortion than what must be the Lexus-Levinson systems.

All things are possible with time and money, if you did have all of the information needed, but if you do determine which box includes the amplification circuits you would then need to determine what else is included and embedded such that it can't be easily separated. Nick's comments about matching up the inputs is very important because if it's out of a narrow range the system either doesn't work or is damaged when powered up. And to top that, there is a slim chance you end up with a system you enjoy listening to after all of the cost and time.

Honda used a lot of Alpine gear in the '90s Acuras. You could find an older Alpine unit which would blend into the dash nicely. Or you could add adaptors to a refurbished original unit so you'd have the nice cassette look but have Bluetooth and USB hidden in the console. Many of the high-end Honda and Acura units included an Aux selection for a CD changer which you should be able to use for an adaptor. And you could use amps with line-level inputs for the outputs from whatever unit you pick. I still like those Infinity drivers. There are great options for signal processors for making whatever combination you use sound the way you want it to sound.

I don't think anyone is suggesting you not do something cool with the stereo in your car. As DCR stated, the risk to reward points to thinking of other options too. Spending $300 on drivers as a first step can make a huge difference in sound quality.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Krell audio system    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-24-2017 10:45
Indeed, decent drivers are important.

In fact, my standard approach is to shove in a 50W MOSFET HU and usually some better drivers. The older OEM amps were a bit on the feeble side.

Given that my cars are pretty noisy, anything beyond that's a bit pointless, really.

Having said that, some lightweight 3M sound deadening on your door skins (inside, you fool!) will make a massive difference to the response, if the car is poorly-insulated.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Krell audio system    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-24-2017 11:28
Nick GravesX wrote:
And beware that audiophilia is where mental illness lies - beyond a certain point, the benefits start being imaginary unless you are a particularly perfect-pitched musician.

That's a pretty strong opinion that you cagely hedged.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Krell audio system    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-24-2017 12:23
TonyEX wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:

You know I'm good at strong opinions!

There was a funny thread on it on Audiobanter a few years back...

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Krell audio system    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-24-2017 12:54
Nick GravesX wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:

You know I'm good at strong opinions!

There was a funny thread on it on Audiobanter a few years back...

In the US we use left handed AC cords for our audio components, they make the music sound American.. you know, bold! enthusiastic! audacious! It fits Shostakovich and Beethoven to a T... makes Mozart the young punk he really was. The Sex Pistols come alive!!!!

Do you use right handed AC cords in the UK? I figure that would make the music distinguished, proper and high brow. Or has the UK turned into a nation of Paki music?

Are you going to get rid of those silly EU standards and put proper banana connectors for your amplifiers?

I dunno know what the Germans do for power... a Panzer generator in the garage? But the one thing the EU can't seem to do is come to a common standard for AC wall plugs!

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Krell audio system    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-24-2017 13:15
Banana connectors? What, so there's no chance of getting a buzz off the live plate on the back of the speakers? Pah...

If it doesn't look like something Dr Frankenstein would've employed, it's no good.

Bananas are strictly for on-stage feedback and more noise-than-signal when the axe player gets carried away.

I believe Mr Hendrix was a fan of left-handed chords, but does it apply to Canada as well? I'm listening to a station over there ATM.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Krell audio system    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-24-2017 13:58
Nick GravesX wrote:
Banana connectors? What, so there's no chance of getting a buzz off the live plate on the back of the speakers? Pah...

If it doesn't look like something Dr Frankenstein would've employed, it's no good.

Bananas are strictly for on-stage feedback and more noise-than-signal when the axe player gets carried away.

I believe Mr Hendrix was a fan of left-handed chords, but does it apply to Canada as well? I'm listening to a station over there ATM.

I like Bananas... used to grow them as a teenager in our backyard in Hawai'i. Used a machete to cut them. Traded them for mangoes with the neighbors.

Going from a private all boys Catholic School in a country that no longer exists to a public school in Hawai'i.. learned Ingles from the Franšais teacher, who, BTW, was a Japanese American. I'm surprised I didn't go nuts ( hey! now don't you go there!).

Very useful for connecting speakers too. Easier than spades.

I'm working on liquid mercury pools for speaker "cables". But the mercury must be the Mark iV Signature version... I'm having issues with the vertical runs, though. I created little Niagaras that conduct up or down very well, but I find that the pulses from the pump affect the inner detail and soundstaging. I hear the Russkies have vacuum powered mercury pumps, they used them in the Soviet tanks. Hopefully that will solve it.

Frankenstein was into simplicity. Although this came from your buddies in the UK:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/anyone-remember-the-quot-tice-clock-quot-controversy

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tice-audio-clock.795916/

And the Linnies with their obsession with the "pace of music" might be considered nuts too, EXCEPT, my LP12 sounds spot on. No way I'm my gonna swap that for a VPI any time soon.

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Krell audio system    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-28-2017 15:23
Hondatalover wrote:
DCR wrote:
Hondatalover wrote:

While it would be cool in this small circle, the words "my Acura Vigor has a Krell Audio system" will go over most people's heads. Unless it's your life goal to make this happen and/or you have a pile of disposable income laying around not only to procure the Krell gear but to do it in a way that isn't all kludgy, you'd be much better served by going with the other suggestions.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Krell audio system    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-28-2017 15:55
Just put some of these in your speakers:

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Krell audio system    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-29-2017 19:40
YOU try putting a sticker on that"

"Powered by Krell"

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Krell audio system    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-30-2017 05:12
Looks like something from latter-day Bang & Olufsen.
GoFaster
Profile for GoFaster
Re: Krell audio system    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-30-2017 14:39
Funniest top of the line is the Volvo XC60 T8, the one with the plug-in hybrid batteries which doesn't leave room for the DVD/CD player, so if you opt to spend $3,500 for the Bowers & Wilkins you will be running MP3s off your phone through it.

BTW- Do Acura's still support DVD-Audio? I would imagine that is DEAD since no one even buys them.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Krell audio system    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-30-2017 18:10
GoFaster wrote:
Funniest top of the line is the Volvo XC60 T8, the one with the plug-in hybrid batteries which doesn't leave room for the DVD/CD player, so if you opt to spend $3,500 for the Bowers & Wilkins you will be running MP3s off your phone through it.

BTW- Do Acura's still support DVD-Audio? I would imagine that is DEAD since no one even buys them.

I don't recall seeing "DVD-A" in our 15/16/16 (*) RDXs or 16 TLX.. all Tech, all with ELS.

(*) Yes, we had two '16s in a row, 10 months apart!

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Krell audio system    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-01-2017 07:04
TonyEX wrote:
GoFaster wrote:

I don't recall seeing "DVD-A" in our 15/16/16 (*) RDXs or 16 TLX.. all Tech, all with ELS.

The owner's manual for our '16 MDX lists only the CD varieties with no mention of DVD. The unit must read DVDs though due to the navi updates.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Krell audio system    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-01-2017 18:11
Grace141 wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
GoFaster wrote:

The owner's manual for our '16 MDX lists only the CD varieties with no mention of DVD. The unit must read DVDs though due to the navi updates.

The polycarbonate formats it supports are stated via logos on the front panel. If it supports DVD-A, DTS, etc... it will have a logo around the loading slot.

I suppose you got the MDX Tech with ELS?

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Krell audio system    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-02-2017 10:14
TonyEX wrote:
Grace141 wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
GoFaster wrote:

The polycarbonate formats it supports are stated via logos on the front panel. If it supports DVD-A, DTS, etc... it will have a logo around the loading slot.

I suppose you got the MDX Tech with ELS?

Yes, it's the Tech with ELS. I just looked in the car and found there are no markings on the unit itself listing the supported formats whereas my Accord audio unit does list the types of CD formats supported. And the owner's manual specifically refers to the "CD slot". Page 144 of the MDX Navigation Manual states "Video CDs, DVDs, and 3-inch (8cm) mini CDs are not supported." Did the MDX systems ever support DVD-A? We didn't even look at the Advance RES option. How does that unit work? I assume a DVD for RES playback is played in the main head unit so it's a DVD drive. Acura's page on the current MDX ELS system states it supports DTS but that implies to me it references the RES.

By the way, I don't like the ELS system in our MDX at all. Even the system in our Fit has a much better balanced sound. At the very least, I know I wasn't tone deaf when I was younger. My opinion on ELS is a whole other discussion though.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0