[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
This 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec is wearing an exclusive new shade of blue
More.......................
2019 Pilot gets upgraded with standard LED headlights and "Telematics"
Sources: 2019 HR-V adds Sport trim, loses 6MT option
All-new 2019 Acura RDX Makes Road Debut as Official Vehicle of Rally Cycling Alongside NSX Supercar
Clarity Electric still available for $199/month lease, but down payment has increased $600
Driving impressions: Hondata's FlashPro for the FK8 Civic Type R
American Honda Reports April Sales Results
Honda reveals Everus EV Concept at Beijing International Auto Show
General Talk --> Re: I just realized
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: 2020 NSX Type-R
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic MMC rumors?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Porsche Macan S weight distro: 56.7/43.3
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Electronic rear view mirrors - one thing I don't like
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 2019 RDX Trim Levels
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Beat a Mirai to the H2 station last night New style H70 pumps
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Spanish Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla - facts behind the mirage
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Mishimoto Catch Can - What For?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Moto GP Spoiler
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2018 Indy 500
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Spare Wheel Kit: Damaged Wheel
Join Discussion......
Photo Gallery - Some other cars from 2019 NYIAS
Read Article....................
TOV Video: 2019 Acura RDX Walk-around with LPL Steve Hansen
TOV Photo Gallery: 2018 North American International Auto Show
2018 Acura RLX PR Photo Gallery
TOV First Drive: 2018 Honda Accord
2018 Honda Accord Specifications and Features (FINAL)

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Fuel Cell Technology > > Re: Weak defroster?

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Weak defroster?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-30-2017 17:42
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
So, it's getting "cold" around here.

My wife works in the South Bay and she works way too many hours! Consequently, by the time I cajole her to put down her email and drive home for dinner, it's gotten dark.

Being near the coast, typically this means the windshield, windows and side mirrors all get coated with some dew (no issues in the morning because the car is parked in the garage at night).

Last night it was worse... so she gets in the car, turns on the defroster and waits for the "engine" to warm up?

("WTH? it doesn't have an engine, its an electric defroster!" I noted later when she told me the story...)

I guess what she wanted was for the defroster to clear the windshield. Anyhow it was taking a long time so she drove to gas up at the nearby H2 station and then got on the freeway.

BUT, she found out the side mirrors don't have defrosters

("Heck, in a car at this price point they didn't put side mirror defrosters? WTH?" she said).

Anyhow she didn't like it, so she got off a few exits down and wiped out the passenger's side mirror. I guess the camera was not enough. Hmm.. I should have reminded her that if you press the light stalk down, the right side camera comes on the NAVI screen... I think that's how it works in the Civic.

Bottom line, the defroster is not particularly powerful and they got cheap in the side mirrors.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Weak defroster?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-30-2017 20:04
TonyEX wrote:

My wife works in the South Bay and she works way too many hours! Consequently, by the time I cajole her to put down her email and drive home for dinner, it's gotten dark.

Being near the coast, typically this means the windshield, windows and side mirrors all get coated with some dew (no issues in the morning because the car is parked in the garage at night).

Last night it was worse... so she gets in the car, turns on the defroster and waits for the "engine" to warm up?

("WTH? it doesn't have an engine, its an electric defroster!" I noted later when she told me the story...)

I guess what she wanted was for the defroster to clear the windshield. Anyhow it was taking a long time so she drove to gas up at the nearby H2 station and then got on the freeway.

("Heck, in a car at this price point they didn't put side mirror defrosters? WTH?" she said).

Anyhow she didn't like it, so she got off a few exits down and wiped out the passenger's side mirror. I guess the camera was not enough. Hmm.. I should have reminded her that if you press the light stalk down, the right side camera comes on the NAVI screen... I think that's how it works in the Civic.

Bottom line, the defroster is not particularly powerful and they got cheap in the side mirrors.

really? no defrosters in the mirrors?

In ATL we don't get a ton of frost but for a month or two it's an issue off and on. But we get HELLA dew on the cars, and the quickest way to deal with it is to hit the defroster. The mirrors clear up almost instantly. The back window takes a bit longer. But it's really aggravating when you buy a new Honda and then realize you didn't buy a high enough trim level to get the heated exterior mirrors. Like our 2016 CR-V EX and my departed 2016 Accord Sport. Hell I don't even know if my Type R has them (i'm guessing "NO") but it's always garaged.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Weak defroster?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-30-2017 20:22
JeffX wrote:
TonyEX wrote:

In ATL we don't get a ton of frost but for a month or two it's an issue off and on. But we get HELLA dew on the cars, and the quickest way to deal with it is to hit the defroster. The mirrors clear up almost instantly. The back window takes a bit longer. But it's really aggravating when you buy a new Honda and then realize you didn't buy a high enough trim level to get the heated exterior mirrors. Like our 2016 CR-V EX and my departed 2016 Accord Sport. Hell I don't even know if my Type R has them (i'm guessing "NO") but it's always garaged.

As I recall the Coupe Cake (a Touring trim) has them, so the CTR ought to have them too.

We usually always get the top trim, so we're used to having those things.

Who knows, maybe I'll get to drive the Clarity while she grabs the Ridgeline? (Hint: Fat Chance).

"In Franklins tower the four winds sleep
Like four lean hounds the lighthouse keep
Wildflower seed on the sand and wind
May the four winds blow you home again.

Roll away the dew
Roll away the dew
Roll away the dew
Youd better roll away the dew
"

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Weak defroster?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-30-2017 21:35
TonyEX wrote:
JeffX wrote:
TonyEX wrote:

As I recall the Coupe Cake (a Touring trim) has them, so the CTR ought to have them too.

We usually always get the top trim, so we're used to having those things.

Who knows, maybe I'll get to drive the Clarity while she grabs the Ridgeline? (Hint: Fat Chance).

"In Franklins tower the four winds sleep
Like four lean hounds the lighthouse keep
Wildflower seed on the sand and wind
May the four winds blow you home again.

Roll away the dew
Roll away the dew
Roll away the dew
Youd better roll away the dew
"

I'm used to having these amenities as well, but then again the 6-speed models are usually neutered somehow.

I looked inside my Type R. The button only shows a rear window defogger icon. If it had heated mirrors it would show that as well. And now I just checked the official specs. No mention of heated exterior mirrors. Just "Body-Colored Power Side Mirrors"

So yeah, the Type R isn't FULLY a Touring trim. no power seats (fine with me). No heated seats (not necessary). No moonroof (good riddance). No indicators in the exterior mirrors. No rain sensing wipers. No auto highbeams. No Honda sensing (fine by me). No lanewatch (grrrrrr....). No auto-dimming rearview mirror (NBD).

Of course there are plenty of features that are exclusive on the Type R. So I'm not complaining at all, just beware if you go get a Type R expecting everything that a Touring has, don't be surprised by the stuff it's missing.

giltibo
Profile for giltibo
Re: Weak defroster?    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-01-2017 00:42
In Canada, the Type R has heated power mirrors, with integrated turn signal indicators. And Lanewatch. (As for the auto high-beams, they use the radar sensors that the HS suite uses)
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Weak defroster?    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-01-2017 01:36
giltibo wrote:
In Canada, the Type R has heated power mirrors, with integrated turn signal indicators. And Lanewatch. (As for the auto high-beams, they use the radar sensors that the HS suite uses)

I thought the auto high beams were based on the lane keeping camera in the windshield but i could be wrong.

Mikgtir
Profile for Mikgtir
Re: Weak defroster?    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-01-2017 03:55
Mirror defrosters should be mandatory for snow belt markets.

I have the same issue with with my Accord V6 6 EX-L (plus non electric retractable mirrors in Europe is not handy in our smaller old continent cities)

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Weak defroster?    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-01-2017 06:18
Lack of heated mirrors was a curious omission from early S2000s, too.

I've always had a concern that heat pumps/electric heaters would be feeble, compared to the incredible (in)efficiency of a J35, whose tiny heads get hot so quickly.

I believe even some diseasel cars require auxiliary heaters in colder climates, as the engines are simply too damned efficient.

Efficiency be damned!

NoClarity
Profile for NoClarity
Re: Weak defroster?    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-01-2017 19:05
TonyEX wrote:

1. When it was new, I tried the Honda Link scheduled start to turn on the climate control in the morning. But disabled it after the novelty wore out after about a week. I found that the climate control is not that powerful in this mode. Feel just like blowing air.

2. I thought compared to my old TL, the rear defroster is stronger/cleared up the rear window faster. It clears the vertical "cheat windows" between the taillights too.

3. Now that I think about it, yes, indeed there is no defrost rear view mirror. It's just that when I drive the outer mirror clears up first, I thought it must be because I defrost the front window, and it automatically set the mirror heater too.

4. I carry a small squeegee in my trunk for this sort of situation when I have time in the morning. Otherwise, a couple of high speed G braking or turning to make water on the roof flowing to wipe the dew from the side/rear windows. I live on the hill so, going downhill is useless,but going back uphill can clear the rear window if you accelerate hard enough (and if enough condensation on the roof).

NoClarity
Profile for NoClarity
Re: Weak defroster?    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-01-2017 19:07
5. The backup camera usually doesn't get fogged up, even though all the windows are white with dew/cannot see through.
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Weak defroster?    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-02-2017 06:59
NoClarity wrote:
5. The backup camera usually doesn't get fogged up, even though all the windows are white with dew/cannot see through.

It does on my Leg End.

Funniest is when there's a massive 'Spider from Mars' web behind it!

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0