[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
More.......................
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
More.......................
American Honda reports January sales
More.......................
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
More.......................
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
More.......................
American Honda Reports December Sales
More.......................
American Honda Reports November Sales
More.......................
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda's new sub-brand Honda e
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: My first helmet !
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Honda closing UK plant that builds the Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Original NSX prototype only had a SOHC V6 without VTEC
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Rumours that Honda will close its Swindon plant
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Sunny came home with a mission
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Type R bike carrier
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
Read Article....................
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV Articles > TOV First Drive: 2018 Honda Accord > > Re: Jeff, do you feel compelled to trade your new Sport in?

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
    
longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Jeff, do you feel compelled to trade your new Sport in? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-08-2017 12:00
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
How did you like the next gen Sport compared to the present gen Sport you have now? Is it compelling enough to make new upgrade?
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Jeff, do you feel compelled to trade your new Sport in? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-09-2017 15:33
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
longhorn wrote:
How did you like the next gen Sport compared to the present gen Sport you have now? Is it compelling enough to make new upgrade?


I am planning on trading it in for a new Civic Type R as soon as I can get my hands on one.

I was waiting to see if the Accord Sport would be enough to sway me away from the CTR acquisition.

It's really great but there's not enough "Sport" for what I wanted.

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: Jeff, do you feel compelled to trade your new Sport in? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-10-2017 13:29
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Jeff I just took my CTR to a local track day yesterday. Ran all 5 sessions, 20-25min each. No overheating warning from the car but ambient temp was only 64F at most.

It's a beast on the track and on a track where it's famous for being brutal on the brakes, the CTR handled that brilliantly.

The front tires though, there seems to be too much roll and my sidewall letters are almost all gone......talked to another CTR owner who does racing as well and he said adjusting tire pressure doesn't help either.

Anyway, the CTR is awesome!

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Jeff, do you feel compelled to trade your new Sport in? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-11-2017 11:56
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Hondarulez wrote:
Jeff I just took my CTR to a local track day yesterday. Ran all 5 sessions, 20-25min each. No overheating warning from the car but ambient temp was only 64F at most.

It's a beast on the track and on a track where it's famous for being brutal on the brakes, the CTR handled that brilliantly.

The front tires though, there seems to be too much roll and my sidewall letters are almost all gone......talked to another CTR owner who does racing as well and he said adjusting tire pressure doesn't help either.

Anyway, the CTR is awesome!


Wow that's not good (tires). If pressure didn't do the trick you'll want to dial in some more negative camber and keep that contact patch as big as possible when it's needed most.

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: Jeff, do you feel compelled to trade your new Sport in? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-11-2017 12:08
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I agree. I haven't looked into too much but looks like the strut mounts are pinned and the holes are slotted. So I can remove the pin for camber adjustment. I think it's good for 1, 1.5 degree?


JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Jeff, do you feel compelled to trade your new Sport in? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-11-2017 13:14
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
gofast182 wrote:
Hondarulez wrote:
Jeff I just took my CTR to a local track day yesterday. Ran all 5 sessions, 20-25min each. No overheating warning from the car but ambient temp was only 64F at most.

It's a beast on the track and on a track where it's famous for being brutal on the brakes, the CTR handled that brilliantly.

The front tires though, there seems to be too much roll and my sidewall letters are almost all gone......talked to another CTR owner who does racing as well and he said adjusting tire pressure doesn't help either.

Anyway, the CTR is awesome!


Wow that's not good (tires). If pressure didn't do the trick you'll want to dial in some more negative camber and keep that contact patch as big as possible when it's needed most.



When I was at the track with the CTR I jacked the fronts up to about 40-42psi cold. That seemed to actually work pretty well - ran it in two and 3/4 different sessions (and one of them we were completely unimpeded so it was getting pushed hard) and got pretty even wear from them considering they're street compound. I have seen far worse wear.

When (if?) I get my CTR I will probably get a set of dedicated wheels/tires for track use.


gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Jeff, do you feel compelled to trade your new Sport in? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-11-2017 16:49
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
JeffX wrote:
gofast182 wrote:
Hondarulez wrote:
Jeff I just took my CTR to a local track day yesterday. Ran all 5 sessions, 20-25min each. No overheating warning from the car but ambient temp was only 64F at most.

It's a beast on the track and on a track where it's famous for being brutal on the brakes, the CTR handled that brilliantly.

The front tires though, there seems to be too much roll and my sidewall letters are almost all gone......talked to another CTR owner who does racing as well and he said adjusting tire pressure doesn't help either.

Anyway, the CTR is awesome!


Wow that's not good (tires). If pressure didn't do the trick you'll want to dial in some more negative camber and keep that contact patch as big as possible when it's needed most.



When I was at the track with the CTR I jacked the fronts up to about 40-42psi cold. That seemed to actually work pretty well - ran it in two and 3/4 different sessions (and one of them we were completely unimpeded so it was getting pushed hard) and got pretty even wear from them considering they're street compound. I have seen far worse wear.

When (if?) I get my CTR I will probably get a set of dedicated wheels/tires for track use.



That's some high pressure! Thinking about it more, on a FF car with that kind of power I can see how it would work as long as your hot pressure is within the tire's operating window. FWIW the Bridgestone RE-71R is insanely good on the track and I would highly recommend them, it's basically a street legal R-comp. They do wear rather quickly but you will be lapping slightly faster than the same car on Hankook RS-4's (which is also an excellent choice if you value tread life over max. lap time).

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: Jeff, do you feel compelled to trade your new Sport in? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-12-2017 11:50
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Holy crap 40-42psi cold. How high did the pressure climb up to after each session? haha I think the max is 50psi. Gotta be somewhat close to that eh?

I don't think I will have a chance to test that though as I am getting a set of Toyo R888R on 18" for track use.

I agree, the RE71R are impressive tires. So many people running them on my track day haha.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Jeff, do you feel compelled to trade your new Sport in? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-19-2017 18:46
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
JeffX wrote:
longhorn wrote:
How did you like the next gen Sport compared to the present gen Sport you have now? Is it compelling enough to make new upgrade?


I am planning on trading it in for a new Civic Type R as soon as I can get my hands on one.

I was waiting to see if the Accord Sport would be enough to sway me away from the CTR acquisition.

It's really great but there's not enough "Sport" for what I wanted.



LOL.. I completely understand your point.

HEY!

JEFF... LOOK THERE......

YEAH... WAIT!!! WAIT!!!

(sound in the background of door opening and closing).

OK, I got mine, you can get back on line... ;-D

In RED. Wife says it looks great in red. They wouldn't let her drive it but she loved it. Got her picture sitting in it.


 
Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0