[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
General Talk --> Re: Said Goodbye to the MDX Today
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Will Honda join Aston Martin and Red Bull with Sports Cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Z6 head studs
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - Toro Rosso STR14 Pictures
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Honda Fit Render
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Facts about HMA - 60 years of AHM - 50 years of CB750
Join Discussion......
Audio & Electronics --> Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Kandi EV Approved for US
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV Articles > TOV First Drive: 2018 Honda Accord > > Sounds like Honda nailed it!

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

Gfn8r
Profile for Gfn8r
Sounds like Honda nailed it! [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-07-2017 15:06
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
My pearl-clutching this summer, I believe, will be for naught!

Had a chance to take a brief drive in a 1.5T 2017 CR-V EX-L the other day. That engine helps make the new CR-V easier to drive than the last one, as the old K24 was OK before the 2015 (??) MMC, but when I drove one after the CVT implementation, it seemed that the two didn’t work well together, and the vehicle was a little sluggish. The new one improves on the last as a whole! Good off the line, better midrange—it doesn’t run out of steam, unlike the post-MMC vehicle from last-generation, until 80 or so. No Chiron, by any means, but the powertrain has more than enough oomph to get out of its own way and then some!

And I was able to try out the low-speed follow on the ACC whilst piloting (CR-Ving??!! ;-) ) my way around the campus of Bowling Green State University in Bowling Green, OH, complete with everyone’s driving nemesis, the one person ahead of you who, even in a posted speed zone low enough that any modern car makes it feel like a walking pace, still decides to go five mph slower, which always does wonders for my blood pressure, given that my lead foot weighs a ton! In my case, I set the cruise speed to 33mph while waiting for the light to change at the front of campus, having seen a 25mph sign as I glanced right. The light changed, I made my turn, and the car accelerated normally up to 33mph; per the O/M, you just give the throttle a little tap from a stop, and the car will take over, you simply steer! Then a little ways ahead of me, a Ford Fusion pulled out of a lot ahead of me..and didn’t seem to make much forward progress! In my 2013 Accord Touring, such an encounter usually results in a groan from the auto-brake servos as the car gets a little close and has to brake a little more abruptly than a human would, which usually results in the speed dropping below the ACC cutoff of 22mph as I in the driver’s seat am yelling “if you’re going to be a slave to the sign, at least have the courtesy to proceed at that speed!”

Not so in the CR-V; perhaps the addition of the camera to the radar helps to smooth things out, much like the HondaSensing implementation in the 2016+ Accords now taking their final bows. (This low-speed follow functionality is why I didn’t visit my friends at Thayer Honda in BG on the day after the Tochigi R&D findings, and trade my 2013 in! Plus I just got clear title to my Touring a month or so ago, so no car payment until April, 2019 or so will be welcome!) The CR-V seemed to close the throttle for a second, then gently applied the brakes, down to the ** 17mph ** that Fusion was going, and just held it without complaining! Out of habit, I disengaged ACC as we approached a cross-street, but a couple minutes later, after the slowpoke Fusion’s driver had turned off, I let the car do the work at another stop sign, approaching two other cars, and just like on 1980s-vintage GM CCs where the throttle pedal moved down if the car needed to accelerate to its set speed, I felt the brake pedal move under my foot as the car coasted to a smoother stop than a lot of folks could! Amazing!

What’s a CR-V impression doing in an Accord post? That technology is included on the new one, even the Maw and Paw Kettle, meat-and-potatoes LX! Along with enough other stuff to keep the techiest technophile busy for some time! And watching the “cars.com” video from New Hampshah, that 2.0T may not have the aural symphony of the J35, as Jeff stated. But damned if that Touring 2.0T didn’t have a hint of “Prelude And Aria For The Fourth [generation Accord], Opus F22 [engine, also in the Prelude, “Accord”-ing to Wikipedia]” in the engine note as its driver gave it the spurs; just as with the CR-V I drove, no ‘80s K-car turbo whine evident! Recall that I have been saying that the loss of the V6 may be less bitter if they hit the details in the same ways that made the 1990 Accord able to hit in the big leagues while playing AA ball! From the universal praise given to the new Accord, both from Jeff and the various other scribes, and without heaping a dung pile on the outgoing model to do so, as is sometimes the case, it looks like Honda, despite our misgivings, has nailed this Accord, and by a larger extent than the 9th-Gen was over the ponderous, porcine 8th-Gen!

Would it be nice to see what a hypothetical clean-sheet DOHC 3.0 V6, force-fed or not, would do with that 10-speed?! Hells to the yes! As it is, it would be advantageous, from a durability standpoint, if that K underneath the hamster-wheel was, say, 2.2 liters, but as with anything else forcing the automakers onto the Turbo Turnpike, my guess is that the displacement regulations outside of the NADM are to blame! And as much as I might want that nice new ACC tech to lower my BP a bit in long school zones, there’s just too much at play for which I don’t want to be a beta tester!

And it might have been nice to see the goodies distributed a little better amongst the trims. I’ll be able to swing for the Touring (Lord willing), but why not offer seat memory on ALL power seat-equipped Accords?! And the Canadian up-trim Accords get heated steering (and a wiper-park defroster a-la Chrysler minivans of the past), along with USB charging ports in the back seat! Yes, those are dealer accessories here, but folks in da Twin Cities and Nort’ Da-KO-ta could find those useful without having to have the dealer spend three hours of labor tearing brand-new cars apart to install those items, likely leaving busted clips, scratched trim, and rattles in their wake! (Seriously, have a gander at the Installation Instructions PDFs at the College Hills site for the rear-seat USB ports! Particularly if the trim you choose doesn’t include rear vents, in which case, cutting with a hacksaw is necessary!) I suppose that wiring-up a stick-on heat array, like a small defogger, for up-front, into the defog/mirror switch, would probably require complete removal and reassembly of the dashboard!

(And as I feared, that rimless HomeLink inside mirror, as I discovered when sitting in a new Odyssey on the showroom floor (of which Thayer, my dealer, has a ton, and which are selling like hotcakes; that is almost the official minivan of my town, Perrysburg, just south of Toledo, and has been for years—where I counted no less than ** five ** of the new ones in a one-block radius a week ago), is as cheap and flimsy-feeling as it is ass-FUGLY!! Hopefully the wiring harness and the mounts for that thing will accommodate a”normal” auto-dim/HomeLink part which Gentex sells. BTW, unlike with the two past generations of Accord, it looks as though the HondaLink telematics buttons on the overhead console, where the HomeLink has resided since the Earth finished cooling, completely preclude the installation of an aftermarket hacked HomeLink; College Hills has an autodimming mirror for LX, EX, and Sport listed—without HomeLink! Of course, that whole section seems to still be a work-in-progress! Time was, on aforesaid 4th-Gen Accords, wiring was included for any and all accessories, at least for speakers and whatnot (and for a HomeLink, meaning it was possible to order a regular Honda part and swap it into the blank spot in the overhead console of your 2007 Accord VP (DX), if you wanted—shout out to the bean-counters yet again!) What price progress?!)

Aside from those couple little niggles, again, it looks like this Accord is going to be better than the sum of its parts! Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh!

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0