[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda's new sub-brand Honda e
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: My first helmet !
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Honda closing UK plant that builds the Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Original NSX prototype only had a SOHC V6 without VTEC
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Rumours that Honda will close its Swindon plant
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Sunny came home with a mission
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Type R bike carrier
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > TSX > > Re: So here's my TSX wagon

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author
  Post New Thread
Karl O.
Profile for Karl O.
So here's my TSX wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-25-2015 21:38
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply

Picked it up mid July. I really like the TLX, but I thought about it long and hard and I came to the conclusion that I needed to jump on a weirdo Honda wagon while low mileage examples were still around.

2103, 24k, CPO. Tech package. Love everything about it.

I still wish I had a TLX, but I figured that if I got the TLX, I would regret not having the wagon. I can't get enough of Honda weirdness.

Karl O.
Profile for Karl O.
Re: So here's my TSX wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-25-2015 22:02
My Honda mechanic wants to slam that car.

I parked next to an Audi A4 with the S-Line package and the wagon sits a good 1" lower than that car.

I'm beating the EPA estimates in gas mileage and the stereo actually sounds pretty good. I think it was a good pickup.

Torino R72P
Profile for Torino R72P
Re: So here's my TSX wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-25-2015 22:25
Great choice! I get why you went with the less conventional choice; you recognized that you'd regret the sedan and went for the older (but still awesome) wagon.

If you want to be really weird, get the EU Honda Accord badges and grille – I saw a TSX done up like that quite recently and it looked good!

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: So here's my TSX wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-25-2015 23:39
Nice! Congrats! Still loving our '12 wagon.
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: So here's my TSX wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-26-2015 01:37
Nice ride!
HondaJet
Profile for HondaJet
Re: So here's my TSX wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-26-2015 02:57
Very attractive car!
neuronbob
Profile for neuronbob
Re: So here's my TSX wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-26-2015 06:51
I love the TSX wagon. It's a great drive and it looks hot, one of the best-looking recent Hondas! I almost bought one almost four years back but the deal wasn't quite right, and the cargo space is limited by intrusion of the rear shock towers. If it had a MT I would have overlooked those things and would be rocking a TSX wagon today.

Ended up in a 6MT CTS-V wagon 18 months later. Ignoring the powertrain, the rear wagon space is more functional in that it doesn't have the shock tower intrusion of the TSX.

Can you tell I love wagons?

Enjoy!

Mikgtir
Profile for Mikgtir
Re: So here's my TSX wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-26-2015 06:56
Did not find the "like" button, nice one! And lovely white S2000 in pristine conditions.
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: So here's my TSX wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-26-2015 13:34
Karl O. wrote:

2103, 24k, CPO. Tech package. Love everything about it.

Interesting.... I wonder if that our old car?

Our '12 was blue, '13 black and '14 dark silver. The '13 had low miles when we returned it.

All were Tech with fog lights (that was an option). We turned in our '13 in February of '14.

We did have the roof crossbars in our cars but the dealer might take that out and sell it separately.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: So here's my TSX wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-26-2015 13:50
JeffX wrote:
Nice! Congrats! Still loving our '12 wagon.

The RDX wagon doesn't handle as well because of its tires and it has a very short per tank range which kills it IMHO for long trips, but otherwise it replaces the TSX wagon quite handily... it does have more power, an extra gear and AWD.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: So here's my TSX wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-26-2015 15:12
I think that the TSX wagon may be one of the best looking Honda's these last few years.

Karl O.
Profile for Karl O.
Re: So here's my TSX wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-26-2015 17:29
This one came from New Jersey. I crawled all through it looking for anything that looked like it might be getting rusty. No me gusta cars from places that salt the roads. It's clean, the whole car is mint but cars from snow land make me nervous. The roof rails are stock but the crossbars are optional. I won't buy those but I do want the rubber trunk mat. Annoyingly, there is no factory car cover. It parks outside and during the fall and early spring I go into S2000 DD mode and my other car sits in the driveway- I'd like a decent car cover.

I wanted to de-badge the back lettering but I think it's too late - just gonna leave it. So I got a vanity plate, this is as far as it's going:

I was pleasantly surprised yesterday to buy a new CD and have the audio system recognize the CD Text. I'm pretty sure this is the only TSX wagon anywhere that has this album ripped to its HDD. BTW, the ELS stereo shreds on metal songs. It had a bunch of opera music on the HDD when I bought it.

And, my friend was looking for a car to replace her Lexus RX - I sent her to look at this 2012, tech, 17k miles, CPO. She bought it on the spot. Likes it a lot better than the Lexus. Sorry about the PQ, how you take a pic like that with an oversize iPhone 6, I have no idea.

Karl O.
Profile for Karl O.
Re: So here's my TSX wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-26-2015 17:42
neuronbob wrote:
Ended up in a 6MT CTS-V wagon 18 months later. Ignoring the powertrain, the rear wagon space is more functional in that it doesn't have the shock tower intrusion of the TSX.

Can you tell I love wagons?

Enjoy!

I love the CTS-V wagon, and the coupe makes me drool. If I was looking to spend that much money, I would buy either of those in 2 seconds before any of the German cars.

Karl O.
Profile for Karl O.
Re: So here's my TSX wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-26-2015 18:19
So here is my next topic with this car, and for reference, I'm not comparing it to the S, I'm comparing it to my old TSX - '04 6MT that I sold in December of 2011 with 99k miles. Eibach Pro-Kit springs, Hawk brake pads.

Yes, the wagon is slow. I knew it before I bought it. It has longer legs at higher speeds but the power is adequate.

Being a TSX, the dealer resurfaced the rotors as part of CPO and this is going to be a problem again soon. I guess I'll remedy that with mild Hawk pads. I put the Hawk track pads on the S, they absolutely do not fade on the track - they stink to high hell, they screech when you use them at all and oh man, the brake dust. But you can hammer them from 100-20 about 50 times in a row and the pedal maybe gets a little soft. I had the mild pads on the '04 and that worked. So that probably solves that.

My issue is two-pronged:

(a) there is a just a bit of initial roll. It has some built in slop that I'd like to get rid of. I wonder if I can remedy that with some upgraded adjustable struts. Shorter springs, I think, is not the answer. I don't want a whole lot of ride harshness.

Part of that wagon's problem is the OEM tires- look, I understand Honda's OEM tire requirements - they are required to survive a direct nuclear strike. The Michelins are harsh and noisy. Those will go eventually. Something with slightly softer sidewalls.

(b) It understeers. The obvious answer is a bigger rear sway bar, I dunno what's available. But I also wonder if, with adjustable struts, I can set the F/R balance with relative roll stiffness.

I ain't looking for ITR-style ass out sliding around, but I think with some tires that are a little grippy, combined with a little less initial roll and less understeer, I might have something here. It only weighs 3600 lbs. There has to be a way to fine-tune this suspension without being silly.

typer_801
Profile for typer_801
Re: So here's my TSX wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-26-2015 19:39
Progress has a rear bar. 22mm. And I would upgrade tires and shocks first, then if that's not enough look at springs. These cars don't look good lowered with stock wheels IMO.
HondaJet
Profile for HondaJet
Re: So here's my TSX wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-26-2015 20:51
The CD or DVD Audio player can be re-programmed to NOT automatically record a new Audio CD. The Eliott Scheiner system is incredible to hear.
owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: So here's my TSX wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-26-2015 21:19
Karl O. wrote:
So here is my next topic with this car, and for reference, I'm not comparing it to the S, I'm comparing it to my old TSX - '04 6MT that I sold in December of 2011 with 99k miles. Eibach Pro-Kit springs, Hawk brake pads.

Yes, the wagon is slow. I knew it before I bought it. It has longer legs at higher speeds but the power is adequate.

Being a TSX, the dealer resurfaced the rotors as part of CPO and this is going to be a problem again soon. I guess I'll remedy that with mild Hawk pads. I put the Hawk track pads on the S, they absolutely do not fade on the track - they stink to high hell, they screech when you use them at all and oh man, the brake dust. But you can hammer them from 100-20 about 50 times in a row and the pedal maybe gets a little soft. I had the mild pads on the '04 and that worked. So that probably solves that.

My issue is two-pronged:

(a) there is a just a bit of initial roll. It has some built in slop that I'd like to get rid of. I wonder if I can remedy that with some upgraded adjustable struts. Shorter springs, I think, is not the answer. I don't want a whole lot of ride harshness.

Part of that wagon's problem is the OEM tires- look, I understand Honda's OEM tire requirements - they are required to survive a direct nuclear strike. The Michelins are harsh and noisy. Those will go eventually. Something with slightly softer sidewalls.

(b) It understeers. The obvious answer is a bigger rear sway bar, I dunno what's available. But I also wonder if, with adjustable struts, I can set the F/R balance with relative roll stiffness.

I ain't looking for ITR-style ass out sliding around, but I think with some tires that are a little grippy, combined with a little less initial roll and less understeer, I might have something here. It only weighs 3600 lbs. There has to be a way to fine-tune this suspension without being silly.

Honestly, I would see what you can do with the tires and rear sway first. It seems like they both improved the initial roll tendency and the massive understeer on any Honda I have put them on. The tires are mostly for impact cushioning and MPG, while the stock rear sway is to insure plenty of natural understeer to keep silly people out of the ditches. I was actually really surprised the effect the Progress rear sway had on my 1990 Accord (with the rest of the suspension done) and on my 2009 Si (with otherwise 100% stock suspension). Progress makes excellent stuff, so I would recommend them in a heartbeat.

If you do decide to go with springs, honestly, you can usually get a very mild drop from Eibach that should match well to a good set of Koni or Bilstein shocks, but I have always liked progressive rate springs on my Hondas. If you do it right, you would be amazed at how low you can get it without losing a ton of ride quality.

Karl O.
Profile for Karl O.
Re: So here's my TSX wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-27-2015 10:23
HondaJet wrote:
The CD or DVD Audio player can be re-programmed to NOT automatically record a new Audio CD. The Eliott Scheiner system is incredible to hear.

I did 10 years in car stereo in a prior life, and I think the ELS stereo is pretty good, given that you don't have a lot of money to spend on an entry level Acura. I've spent countless dollars and time getting the stereo in the S to do this:

It's hard to get a stereo in a car to play flat, and then get the staging right, and then you have to figure out how to pull the bass forward to the front of the car and make it sound natural. It's not easy.

blackstripe77
Profile for blackstripe77
Re: So here's my TSX wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-27-2015 14:43
Would look clean with a debadge! A quick pass of compound and wax should rid the area of any contaminants and get rid of any "imprints" left from where you'd see the clean paint where the badges were and dirty paint where the badges didn't cover.

As for tires, the internet seems to be full of praise for the Michelin PSS. Grippy, quiet, comfortable, and great in rain. Would probably help mitigate some/most of that understeer, too, especially in the dry. Only problem is the soft shoulders seem to wear out quickly. I went with the Potenza RE-11 as the soft sidewalls on my previous tire was causing excessive wear on the outsides of the front tires, but they are pretty harsh.

I'm on Mugen coilovers on my RB3 Odyssey, which seem to drop the car to a normal height, lowered from stock 4x4 but not totally slammed. I feel like they ride decently, the RE-11s had more effect on NVH than the coilovers. Jeff had (has?) them on his wagon, I'm sure he'll be able to chip in on this.

Maxtierney
Profile for Maxtierney
Re: So here's my TSX wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-27-2015 17:27
If I were to stick with a spring/shock set-up, I'd go Koni Yellows or Tockicos and straight cut springs from Swift or Ground Control/Eibach. Set some preload at the rear / zero front. 1/16" toe out front with 1.5+ camber, slight toe in / zero camber rear. I am assuming you are currently running progressive rate springs.
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: So here's my TSX wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-28-2015 17:43
HondaJet wrote:

ALL ELS systems ( and the Accord Hybrids wit HDD too ) can be programmed to do just that.

The DVD-A performance is outstanding. I got stuck that one time (in the 14 TSX) on the I5 in San Clemente for almost two hours going 4 miles and played the entire Dead DVD-A that my friend had lent me..... I didn't even notice the traffic.

Yes, the cross bars in the TSX look funky. In the RDX they look built-in.. but regardless, they are very handy. You don't want to carry your Christmas Tree home inside your nice, clean wagon, huh?

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: So here's my TSX wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-28-2015 20:26
Karl O. wrote:

My issue is two-pronged:

I so very badly want to retrofit a 6MT into our wagon along with a rooters ROTREX supercharger. (edit: just noticed the stupid autocorrect on my mac changed 'Rotrex' to 'rooters' when I posted this yesterday)

See if you can find a mugen suspension setup on sale or used or something. It does a good job of improving the car's reflexes without being terribly harsh (it is firmer than stock, but it's livable - my wife is the primary driver and she's never complained). I need to try the Progress Bar as there is still some understeer, and I would like to upgrade to some 18s - ideally I'd get the TSX V6 wheels to keep it looking as "OEM" as possible but you don't see many of those for reasonable $$. we have about 25000 miles on the OEM rubber and I'm guessing it may be time for new tires in 5-10k. At that point I will upgrade and try to find some suitable 18's. I'd love to put summer tires on it but I will probably end up getting the best all seasons I can find - I just don't want my wife being stranded on one of those days we get an unusual/unexpected ice storm.

Last edited by JeffX on 09-29-2015 08:16
Karl O.
Profile for Karl O.
Re: So here's my TSX wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-02-2015 20:18
TonyEX wrote:
HondaJet wrote:

ALL ELS systems ( and the Accord Hybrids wit HDD too ) can be programmed to do just that.

The DVD-A performance is outstanding. I got stuck that one time (in the 14 TSX) on the I5 in San Clemente for almost two hours going 4 miles and played the entire Dead DVD-A that my friend had lent me..... I didn't even notice the traffic.

Yes, the cross bars in the TSX look funky. In the RDX they look built-in.. but regardless, they are very handy. You don't want to carry your Christmas Tree home inside your nice, clean wagon, huh?

Ahh, the ELS DVD-A stereo. I use The Downward Spiral DVD-A to understand what a stereo is or is not doing. It's a meticulously mastered album. I know what it's supposed to sound like.

Christmas trees? My wife and I got a 15' tree hanging out of the back of her Accord one year. Also, my neighborhood has a Christmas tree disposal place, when I had my MDX my neighbor and I got all the trees on the street and hauled them to the spot. It took me an hour to vacuum out all of the pine needles.

I'd put a tree in the back of the TSX wagon. It's a wagon, right?

Karl O.
Profile for Karl O.
Re: So here's my TSX wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-02-2015 20:47
JeffX wrote:I so very badly want to retrofit a 6MT into our wagon along with a rooters ROTREX supercharger. (edit: just noticed the stupid autocorrect on my mac changed 'Rotrex' to 'rooters' when I posted this yesterday)

See if you can find a mugen suspension setup on sale or used or something. It does a good job of improving the car's reflexes without being terribly harsh (it is firmer than stock, but it's livable - my wife is the primary driver and she's never complained). I need to try the Progress Bar as there is still some understeer, and I would like to upgrade to some 18s - ideally I'd get the TSX V6 wheels to keep it looking as "OEM" as possible but you don't see many of those for reasonable $$. we have about 25000 miles on the OEM rubber and I'm guessing it may be time for new tires in 5-10k. At that point I will upgrade and try to find some suitable 18's. I'd love to put summer tires on it but I will probably end up getting the best all seasons I can find - I just don't want my wife being stranded on one of those days we get an unusual/unexpected ice storm.

Jeff, maybe I don't quite know what I what to do with that car yet.

I've had the S2000 for 13 years and the suspension in that thing is so compliant. There are a couple of speed bumps at the entrance to my neighborhood. The S2000 glides over them. At any speed. Everything else I've ever owned hammers over those speed bumps and tries to kill itself. There is some magic Honda suspension tuning in these cars somewhere.

I really, really love this wagon.

Maybe I need to find somewhere to drive it a little bit harder. I don't want to ruin it with mis-matched springs and struts. It's a lot easier to ruin suspension tuning than it is to fix it. The Progress rear sway bar seems like a place to start. I dunno man, I might give it a little more time. I've had it for less than 90 days.

I'm gonna have this car for a very long time I think. It's sort of sunk it's hook in my heart. I just don't want to fuck it up by changing a bunch of parts without knowing what I'm doing.

Karl O.
Profile for Karl O.
Re: So here's my TSX wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-02-2015 21:06
JeffX wrote:

I so very badly want to retrofit a 6MT into our wagon along with a rooters ROTREX supercharger. (edit: just noticed the stupid autocorrect on my mac changed 'Rotrex' to 'rooters' when I posted this yesterday)

You know man I have a Honda tech that could do that.

Bullwinkle
Profile for Bullwinkle
Re: So here's my TSX wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-19-2015 23:08
I just bought a CPO 2012 TSX Sport Wagon to replace our 2007 MDX (20 years of minivans and SUVs is enough).

How many people are there that own both an S2000 and a TSX Sport Wagon? Karl, Jeff, me. Anyone else?

Given the production volumes, even three seems like a lot.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: So here's my TSX wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-20-2015 00:02
Bullwinkle wrote:
I just bought a CPO 2012 TSX Sport Wagon to replace our 2007 MDX (20 years of minivans and SUVs is enough).

How many people are there that own both an S2000 and a TSX Sport Wagon? Karl, Jeff, me. Anyone else?

There surely must be more of us. There's a reason there's three of us here already!

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: So here's my TSX wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-20-2015 15:18
JeffX wrote:
Bullwinkle wrote:

There surely must be more of us. There's a reason there's three of us here already!

Well, we had a '12, '13 and '14 TSX Wagon Tech in a row.

The last one was fully set for us to buy but at the very end I decided not to and lease a '15 RDX AWD.

Truth is the wagons are larger inside, handle FAR better, have about the same effective power but lack AWD.

My wife is still smarting about not buying that car.

If I owned it, I would change the tires and perhaps look at putting a chip on it. Off the line it was fast enough so you could merge onto the freeway nicely, but once it got going it had loooong legs.

Not to mention the 500 mile range on a tank of gas!

Handling was fine, IMHO, not a sports car but not a boat either. I think I'd keep the wheel size as it was.

The wagons had the upgraded sport suspension to begin with... a very good ELS stereo and a "carved from an ingot" solidity that is lacking on the Accords.

I wish AHM would build a TLX SH-AWD V6 Sport Wagon!!!!

Karl O.
Profile for Karl O.
Re: So here's my TSX wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-15-2015 01:41
Bullwinkle wrote:

I thought my '01 S2000 was a weird car. My buddy with his twin sister S to mine. Same year. I checked the VINs, they did not roll off the line next to each other.

With the S2000s, there were 5,000 in 2000 and maybe 10k in '01 and '02.

With the wagon, I don't think that there were many more imported in 4 years than there were 2001 S2000s. Try to find a 2014 Nerd Wagon. They actually kept selling them in the UK after they gave up on them here.

I am probably keeping my wagon for a really, really long time.

Karl O.
Profile for Karl O.
Re: So here's my TSX wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-15-2015 02:12
TonyEX wrote:
JeffX wrote:
Bullwinkle wrote:

Well, we had a '12, '13 and '14 TSX Wagon Tech in a row.

The last one was fully set for us to buy but at the very end I decided not to and lease a '15 RDX AWD.

Truth is the wagons are larger inside, handle FAR better, have about the same effective power but lack AWD.

My wife is still smarting about not buying that car.

If I owned it, I would change the tires and perhaps look at putting a chip on it. Off the line it was fast enough so you could merge onto the freeway nicely, but once it got going it had loooong legs.

Not to mention the 500 mile range on a tank of gas!

Handling was fine, IMHO, not a sports car but not a boat either. I think I'd keep the wheel size as it was.

The wagons had the upgraded sport suspension to begin with... a very good ELS stereo and a "carved from an ingot" solidity that is lacking on the Accords.

I wish AHM would build a TLX SH-AWD V6 Sport Wagon!!!!

You own Hondas for less time than I own socks.

Next year I am going to try to put the interior of the S2000 back together. It's still in good shape for a 14 year old car but I never put the top up, and a lot of the interior parts are NLA.

My dad has a 1972 240Z. It's been in the resto shop for shop for 5 years. Try to find tail lamps for that car. Should I start hoarding parts for that car or is Honda going to keep supporting it.

Thread Page - [1] 2
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0