[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
This 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec is wearing an exclusive new shade of blue
More.......................
2019 Pilot gets upgraded with standard LED headlights and "Telematics"
More.......................
Sources: 2019 HR-V adds Sport trim, loses 6MT option
More.......................
All-new 2019 Acura RDX Makes Road Debut as Official Vehicle of Rally Cycling Alongside NSX Supercar
More.......................
Clarity Electric still available for $199/month lease, but down payment has increased $600
More.......................
Driving impressions: Hondata's FlashPro for the FK8 Civic Type R
More.......................
American Honda Reports April Sales Results
More.......................
Honda reveals Everus EV Concept at Beijing International Auto Show
More.......................
General Talk --> Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Electronic rear view mirrors - one thing I don't like
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic MMC rumors?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Porsche Macan S weight distro: 56.7/43.3
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 2019 RDX Trim Levels
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Beat a Mirai to the H2 station last night New style H70 pumps
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Spanish Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: 2020 NSX Type-R
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla - facts behind the mirage
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Mishimoto Catch Can - What For?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Moto GP Spoiler
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2018 Indy 500
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Spare Wheel Kit: Damaged Wheel
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX Production Starts
Join Discussion......
Audio & Electronics --> Re: iOS 11 breaks just about all Bluetooth Functionality, 2013-15 Accord—** UPDATE **
Join Discussion......
Photo Gallery - Some other cars from 2019 NYIAS
Read Article....................
TOV Video: 2019 Acura RDX Walk-around with LPL Steve Hansen
Read Article....................
TOV Photo Gallery: 2018 North American International Auto Show
Read Article....................
2018 Acura RLX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
TOV First Drive: 2018 Honda Accord
Read Article....................
2018 Honda Accord Specifications and Features (FINAL)
Read Article....................

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Fuel Cell Technology > > Re: A description of the controls.

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
A description of the controls.    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-31-2017 11:55
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
What quickly becomes obvious is how FEW buttons the car "seems" to have.

Below the NAVI screen there's the discrete climate controls, including a secondary 'CLIMATE" push button that pops the climate control on the touchscreen (*). The controls are complete but nicely arranged in a dual row. The heat seaters are set there too.

Then to the left you got the START button, set into the velour strip. Very nice touch.

Below you got the TLX like 'shifter' plus the "sport' button (**). A hill assist brake is included, but I don't know why, it's an "auto"... who knows, I have not driven on any hills that made me up half way up.

The NAVI touchscreen is about the size of a smaller iPad. Like in the Civic, is sort of "sits" on the dash. It actually looks good, except that I wonder how you will clean the back side. It has a little bit of chrome on either side, but otherwise it's a lot of black on black with the textures themselves providing the differentiation.

No volume control for the stereo.

The dash display is laid again similar to the Civic... with the battery charge to the left and the fuel to the right. Unlike the Civic, though, the entire dash is a display. It works very well, with the displays selected by a control on the left of the steering wheel.

The steering wheel controls are typical to the Civic Touring, except the leather on the steering wheel is actually better than the leather on the iMMD Accord. Which is to say quite excellent to the touch, feel and look.

To the left of the steering wheel, down in the dash there are a few more buttons. (***) Including the HUD adjustment.

Above the dash is the HUD. It works great, white and very sharp as if the display was out there over the hood. This is a good idea because your eyes are focused to see far way so you can see both the HUD and the horizon. The HUD also displays NAVI information (turns and so on). I didn't know about this... but I got used to it very fast and having the speed and NAVI instructions there quickly become second nature.

The driver's door has the usual complement of window lifts, door lock controls and side mirrors. The side mirrors do NOT look down when on reverse. I guess this is a Honda car, not an Acura. But I miss that feature on a $60K car.

Right behind and above the rear view mirror, on the roof, there are controls for the home garage door and the cabin lights. There is no moonroof (which I don't miss). Between the mirror and the windshield and just to the right of the mirror are the radar cameras for the safety doodahs. This layout is different from our iMMD Accord which had one light right between the mirror and the windshield and another one somewhere behind the grill. In this car they are both inside... it's sort of a big affair, but it's invisible from the driver's side. My wife reports that it does not block her view from the passenger's seat.

And there you have it... those are the controls. If you have driven a TLX and a Civic Touring (hmm.. we have) you will sit on this car and need NO introduction. The dealer was trying to tell me how to drive it, but by the time he was half way into his introduction we were on our way on the 190th to get fuel....so he just gave up and we made conversation about the car. This is how easy and intuitive the car is.

Overall the cabin exudes elegance. The materials are very nice. The colors very muted (hey. Men In Black time) and the controls are all there but they don't overwhelm you.

Now, the steering wheel and stalks come out of the Civic Touring parts bin but the center controls are specific to this model. Not in any other Honda car. If they put the steering wheel from the TLX (with those fabulous thumbwheel controls) we'd have a complete Acura.

There are USB outlets under the center console and another power outlet to the rear seats also on the center console. The rear seats get HVAC vents.

Things it lacks...

(1) Volume control for the stereo
(2) A front camera... the current crop of Hondas is growing a nose.... It becomes hard to figure out where the front of the car is... the back up camera is fantastic, now I need a front camera to tell me where the edge of the front bumper is. (****)

If this is the future for Acura, then I think it's a huge bright future. If they can tone down the new grill ( hmm.. where have I heard that before)...

(*) This is redundant but I think they had to include it as this is a Civic based system. The Civic needs it, the Clarity does not.

(**) The default setting must be "Eco". On one occasion, at a light, with a pesky Audi A4 next to me, I selected Sport and floored it when the light turned green. The car just went..... eerily quiet and i was at 65 just like that.

(***) Typical for Honda, though, there are always spare button spaces. Huh? If I get the top of the line trim model I expect it to carry everything... Did I forget to order some accessory? This goes also for our RDX, Civic Touring, etc, etc....

(****) God knows what we'll do with the Ridgeline!

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: A description of the controls.    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-31-2017 18:38
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
TonyEX wrote:
What quickly becomes obvious is how FEW buttons the car "seems" to have.

Below the NAVI screen there's the discrete climate controls, including a secondary 'CLIMATE" push button that pops the climate control on the touchscreen (*). The controls are complete but nicely arranged in a dual row. The heat seaters are set there too.

Then to the left you got the START button, set into the velour strip. Very nice touch.

Below you got the TLX like 'shifter' plus the "sport' button (**). A hill assist brake is included, but I don't know why, it's an "auto"... who knows, I have not driven on any hills that made me up half way up.

The NAVI touchscreen is about the size of a smaller iPad. Like in the Civic, is sort of "sits" on the dash. It actually looks good, except that I wonder how you will clean the back side. It has a little bit of chrome on either side, but otherwise it's a lot of black on black with the textures themselves providing the differentiation.

No volume control for the stereo.

The dash display is laid again similar to the Civic... with the battery charge to the left and the fuel to the right. Unlike the Civic, though, the entire dash is a display. It works very well, with the displays selected by a control on the left of the steering wheel.

The steering wheel controls are typical to the Civic Touring, except the leather on the steering wheel is actually better than the leather on the iMMD Accord. Which is to say quite excellent to the touch, feel and look.

To the left of the steering wheel, down in the dash there are a few more buttons. (***) Including the HUD adjustment.

Above the dash is the HUD. It works great, white and very sharp as if the display was out there over the hood. This is a good idea because your eyes are focused to see far way so you can see both the HUD and the horizon. The HUD also displays NAVI information (turns and so on). I didn't know about this... but I got used to it very fast and having the speed and NAVI instructions there quickly become second nature.

The driver's door has the usual complement of window lifts, door lock controls and side mirrors. The side mirrors do NOT look down when on reverse. I guess this is a Honda car, not an Acura. But I miss that feature on a $60K car.

Right behind and above the rear view mirror, on the roof, there are controls for the home garage door and the cabin lights. There is no moonroof (which I don't miss). Between the mirror and the windshield and just to the right of the mirror are the radar cameras for the safety doodahs. This layout is different from our iMMD Accord which had one light right between the mirror and the windshield and another one somewhere behind the grill. In this car they are both inside... it's sort of a big affair, but it's invisible from the driver's side. My wife reports that it does not block her view from the passenger's seat.

And there you have it... those are the controls. If you have driven a TLX and a Civic Touring (hmm.. we have) you will sit on this car and need NO introduction. The dealer was trying to tell me how to drive it, but by the time he was half way into his introduction we were on our way on the 190th to get fuel....so he just gave up and we made conversation about the car. This is how easy and intuitive the car is.

Overall the cabin exudes elegance. The materials are very nice. The colors very muted (hey. Men In Black time) and the controls are all there but they don't overwhelm you.

Now, the steering wheel and stalks come out of the Civic Touring parts bin but the center controls are specific to this model. Not in any other Honda car. If they put the steering wheel from the TLX (with those fabulous thumbwheel controls) we'd have a complete Acura.

There are USB outlets under the center console and another power outlet to the rear seats also on the center console. The rear seats get HVAC vents.

Things it lacks...

(1) Volume control for the stereo
(2) A front camera... the current crop of Hondas is growing a nose.... It becomes hard to figure out where the front of the car is... the back up camera is fantastic, now I need a front camera to tell me where the edge of the front bumper is. (****)

If this is the future for Acura, then I think it's a huge bright future. If they can tone down the new grill ( hmm.. where have I heard that before)...

(*) This is redundant but I think they had to include it as this is a Civic based system. The Civic needs it, the Clarity does not.

(**) The default setting must be "Eco". On one occasion, at a light, with a pesky Audi A4 next to me, I selected Sport and floored it when the light turned green. The car just went..... eerily quiet and i was at 65 just like that.

(***) Typical for Honda, though, there are always spare button spaces. Huh? If I get the top of the line trim model I expect it to carry everything... Did I forget to order some accessory? This goes also for our RDX, Civic Touring, etc, etc....

(****) God knows what we'll do with the Ridgeline!



I ought to note that our car is black on black, the other Clarities have lighter colors. I find the darker interior much nicer.

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: A description of the controls.    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-01-2017 07:11
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Sounds nice Tony. You'll have to get some pictures....

Have you dug around under the hood yet to see what the fuel cell looks like? Is it covered in plastics?

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: A description of the controls.    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-01-2017 11:54
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Dren wrote:
Sounds nice Tony. You'll have to get some pictures....

Have you dug around under the hood yet to see what the fuel cell looks like? Is it covered in plastics?



I haven't popped the hood yet.... but as I recall it looks like a bit smaller than a V6.

I've taken pictures but when I upload to tinyurl I keep getting errors. Is there a limit to the file size?

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: A description of the controls.    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-01-2017 12:10
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
You are trying to upload pics to TinyURL or TinyPIC?

Just use imgur.com

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: A description of the controls.    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-01-2017 14:47
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
DCR wrote:
You are trying to upload pics to TinyURL or TinyPIC?

Just use imgur.com



Sorry.. tinypic. I think the files I was trying to upload were too big? They got fully uploaded and then they were rejected with no error message. I'll try imgur.com.

Thanks


 
Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0