[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda's new sub-brand Honda e
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: My first helmet !
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Honda closing UK plant that builds the Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Original NSX prototype only had a SOHC V6 without VTEC
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Rumours that Honda will close its Swindon plant
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Sunny came home with a mission
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Type R bike carrier
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > TSX > > Re: S2000 vs Si mufflers help

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
S2000 vs Si mufflers help    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-15-2017 17:47
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Originally I was going to go with two Si mufflers.. but...

I've recently discovered the UK mod for S2000s. It slightly bypasses the mufflers first chamber depending on pipe size used and sends "raw" engine note through the second muffler chamber and through the tip.

People tend to use 35-44mm piping.

The resulting sound is a normal S2000 until you get on it some. Sounds much more throaty and raw, a little louder depending on that bridge pipe size. Not high pitched or rice whatsoever.

I'm looking for this same sound on the TSX but probably not as loud. More likely to go with some sort of 30mm-35mm size pipe.

So I'm trying to find out if S2000 mufflers tuck into the TSX without hanging down too low. The S2000 mufflers *look* taller but I'll have to see the side by side.

Anyone disagree? Here is a GREAT comparison.

S2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVkCmZYqh5c

Si

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkgBdnKAeTQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUe4xf5cws0

P.S S2000 stock sound the same as the TSX stock up to 6,000rpm :) Can't use TSX mufflers to do the mod because they're not twin loop dual chamber like the S2000.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: S2000 vs Si mufflers help    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-15-2017 19:21
This is really similar to a modification that Porsche owners do their stock exhausts to add some "meat" to the sound.

Pretty cool idea. If the S2000 exhaust fits and doesn't look stupid, I think it would be a really cool idea.

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: S2000 vs Si mufflers help    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-15-2017 19:33
I might just have to splurge and find a used S2000 muffler set and see if it fits or see if it can be made to fit.
Maximania
Profile for Maximania
Re: S2000 vs Si mufflers help    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-16-2017 01:13
This is a very cool and interesting idea, I never knew about it. Thank you for sharing!
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: S2000 vs Si mufflers help    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-16-2017 05:24
I think you'll be OK - as long as the tail pipes aren't too short so you gas yourself...

My Prelude H22A8 had the most enormous silencer - it looked rounded like an S2000 at the bottom, but had a massive great box at the top to cater for the extra gas flow without back pressure in silence. Since there is little difference between an old Prelude and a TSX under the bodywork (back-to-front engine notwithstanding!) that might give you an idea as the the space that ought to be available.

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: S2000 vs Si mufflers help    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-16-2017 10:36
On one hand it won't be hard to find an OE S2000 exhaust but on the other it will be aged and its heavy AF. Why not just get a freer-flowing over-the-counter Flowmaster (or equivalent) performance muffler?
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: S2000 vs Si mufflers help    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-16-2017 11:53
That's true.

Also, a good aftermarket system ought to be tuned to suit the TSX.

Avoid cheapo fart pipes...

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: S2000 vs Si mufflers help    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-16-2017 15:32
I think the 1st clip with the dual Si mufflers sounds the best. It's too raspy with the "mid muffler removed" (end of the clip) and I don't really like the sound of the other one with the 9th gen Si mufflers in the 2nd Si clip. Too flatulent.

LudeLeRoy
Profile for LudeLeRoy
Re: S2000 vs Si mufflers help    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-16-2017 21:11
Hondatalover wrote:
I might just have to splurge and find a used S2000 muffler set and see if it fits or see if it can be made to fit.

If you successful do the UK modded S2000 muffler mod to your TSX - it sounds great and you post a video - I'll be forever indebted to you. ;-)

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: S2000 vs Si mufflers help    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-22-2017 19:00
$75 later and....

I did take some measurements. These S2K mufflers are for sure "taller" or "thicker" than the TSX's as I had thought they would be however not as bad as I expected. They are the same length.

TSX=7.5 inches tall
S2K=8 inches tall

TSX=20 inches long (tip included)
S2k=19.5 inches long (tip included)

Biggest issue is the S2K exits at the very bottom of the muffler where as the TSX exits are in the middle.

I'm afraid of the tips sitting too low below the bumper cutouts but maybe I can have them adjusted to sit flush or the exit modified. Maybe chop some height off the muffler even.... The stock TSX mufflers have about a half inched of room from touching the heat shield. Maybe with stiffer hangers we can use some of that space without causing any rattles.

Tomorrow we learn!

LudeLeRoy
Profile for LudeLeRoy
Re: S2000 vs Si mufflers help    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-22-2017 19:15
Good luck! I'm looking forward to your update!
Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: S2000 vs Si mufflers help    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-22-2017 19:50
LudeLeRoy wrote:
Good luck! I'm looking forward to your update!

Will do of course!

Before and after videos will be made and some driving + drive bys.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: S2000 vs Si mufflers help    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-23-2017 14:59
Hondatalover wrote:
$75 later and....

I did take some measurements. These S2K mufflers are for sure "taller" or "thicker" than the TSX's as I had thought they would be however not as bad as I expected. They are the same length.

TSX=7.5 inches tall
S2K=8 inches tall

TSX=20 inches long (tip included)
S2k=19.5 inches long (tip included)

Biggest issue is the S2K exits at the very bottom of the muffler where as the TSX exits are in the middle.

I'm afraid of the tips sitting too low below the bumper cutouts but maybe I can have them adjusted to sit flush or the exit modified. Maybe chop some height off the muffler even.... The stock TSX mufflers have about a half inched of room from touching the heat shield. Maybe with stiffer hangers we can use some of that space without causing any rattles.

Tomorrow we learn!

Nice find for $75.

Here is the Porsche mod, which is basically the same thing (but obviously not a four).

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: S2000 vs Si mufflers help    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-23-2017 18:44
Ugh, here we go. Typical Dillon struggles.

S2K "XL tater tots" as I'm going to call them are too tall as expected. The muffler tip hangs about a half inch below the stock muffler tip. Boo

I have an idea so I'm not abandoning this set up yet. Maybe the $75 S2k mufflers may under go surgery if I don't find anything else I like which isn't too likely.

Not sure how much of an issue I will create if I cut some height out of the mufflers and re-welded flat sheet metal in place of the dome shape to snug it up and make it fit as OEM. Would only be about a inch cut out. This modification would mimic the "suitcase" style mufflers from Flowmaster on the top side, but retain the standard "dome" or round shape on the bottom.

Obviously I will be reducing overall muffler capacity so the sound will change (but probably not so much) and the flow rate will be reduced... but really...how much? Probably nothing measurable enough to cause any power loss. UK mod would by pass and make up for any changes I would think. I mean it's a stock TSX with ALL of the stock exhaust. Header, cat, both resonators and standard pipe size. Plus I only rev to 7,000 rpm vs 9,300 rpm. Already wouldn't be using the full muffler capacity!

So honestly with the now modified "smaller S2k mufflers" it would probably flow about the same as stock TSX mufflers seeing as how the TSX and S2000 mufflers ARE the same length but S2K feature a very open design over standard Honda mufflers to begin with. I think it will level out.

Gotta find someone to cut the mufflers up or someone willing to let me use the tools! Muffler shop didn't want to do that and even though they tried to assure me Magnaflows would sound good or even removing a resonator or two and keeping the stock mufflers, I passed up the offer and went on my way to sulk and brain storm.

Just the tips for now I guess! Passenger side is tilted a bit. Will have to adjust it. For some reason, the passenger side muffler sits closer in than the drivers side. My pipe and hangers aren't bit (we checked) so must be a thing larger tips make noticeable. Drivers side muffler unbolts but passenger side is a all one piece cat back system.

Cool side topic, the muffler guy used to have a '94 GS 5 speed Vigor back in the 90's while he was single. He asked what my project car was while having small talk about modifying cars in general and how it can be a PITA and I told him I had a Vigor and knew the struggle. He understood why I wanted this done and we connected a little more over the Vigor ownership and talked about his turbo MR2 etc. He is as equally as disappointed as I am it didn't "just" fit.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0