[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
More.......................
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
American Honda Reports July Sales Results
Official statement from Honda concerning flooding of Celaya factory
News from the dealer side: 2019 HR-V, Fit, and Insight production impacted due to flooding in Celaya
2019 Honda HR-V updated with styling tweaks, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, and available Honda Sensing
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
RDX --> RDX - Why Espresso Interior with Grey Headliner??
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX is Top Safety Pick+
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: European HRV with 1.5 L VTEC Turbo engine coming Spring 2019
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Alaska Airlines plane hijacked
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Extremely fitting
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: The FB Clarity FCEV group is full of shit
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Alonso Quits F1
Join Discussion......
Honda Motorcycles --> Re: Retro Honda CBX returning - yes it has an L6. July 12-18
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Local dealer has a bunch of new 17 Accord Tourings in front of building.
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Navigation and Subtle Aromatherapy
Join Discussion......
Pilot --> Re: 2019 Pilot "Black Edition"
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Re:Honda Debuts 2019 Civic Sport in Sedan and Coupe Form
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Here's What to Expect Daily Driving a 2017 Civic Type R
Join Discussion......
Fit (and Jazz) --> 2018 Honda Fit Sport Review - Back to Basics
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > CR-V > > Re: Nose Mask (XPEL Installed)

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
garoto
Profile for garoto
Nose Mask    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2017 17:01
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I am shocked that Honda isn't offering a Nose Mask for the 2017 CR-V - they have offered one and continue to offer one for every Handa Car, ever (except the S2000)

I like the Nose Mask for long road trips. I'm currently using painter's tape and I'm tired of it. Clear Bra solutions aren't the best option for me because I trust no installer to wash my car prior to the install and that effectively disables me from being able to install a Clear Bra. I also worry about its removal and so on.

Does anyone have any insight as to why Honda hasn't released a Nose Mask for the 5th Gen CR-V and also, if they will?

according2kev
Profile for according2kev
Re: Nose Mask    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2017 19:18
I think the CR-V is the only Honda that has active grille shutters. I wonder if that has anything to do with it? I'd like to think they would figure a way around that though.

Maybe they are being phased out and CR-V was first on the chopping block. I hardly ever see any cars with masks anymore. If it's not offered on the new Ody then this may be an indication.

HondaForever
Profile for HondaForever
Re: Nose Mask    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2017 20:16
I have a suspicion it may be because nobody buys them. I have one on my 2016 Pilot but have not seen another Pilot with it. Indeed, I rarely see them on other cars.

Part of the reason, I think, is because they are inconvenient to use. Every time you wash your vehicle, you have to (or should) remove them. On my Pilot, the holding clips are extremely hard to install or remove. The elastic bands holding piece on the hood have lost their elasticity and the damn thing flops in the wind.

All in all, I wish there was a reasonably inexpensive alternative. When I first considered it, I also looked into the 3M plastic film but at over $1000, I abandoned that idea.

white06si
Profile for white06si
Re: Nose Mask    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2017 22:43
Nose Bras are a thing of the past. Years ago if you didn't take them off they would dull the paint. Not sure if that is true today. Like Hondaforever says they flap which may cause paint damage. A bug shield maybe a better alternative.
blackstripe77
Profile for blackstripe77
Re: Nose Mask    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2017 22:52
I can't imagine a nose mask being kind to the paint under it. Surely dust will get in and the wind will use the nose mask to grind it into the paint. And you're still going to have to clean the bugs and grime off of it. Having a proper detailer install a clear bra or even a glass coating after a proper swirl removal sounds like a much more attractive, albeit pricier, option.

I'm guessing the clear bra will be more resilient than the glass coating, and some have the ability to self-heal from minor blemishes, but I find dust will collect on the edges of clear bras (if they don't cover the entire panel) and will also eventually yellow. Glass coatings will also diminish eventually but in the mean time you'll have some protection from rock chips and the hydrophobic properties will make the car much easier to clean. I understand that its possible to do your own glass coating if you're a keen detailer, which would probably help bring the cost down.

garoto
Profile for garoto
Re: Nose Mask    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-05-2017 00:48
I bought a nose mask on my 06 Si and the thing is as rigid (if not more) as new. I think the heat over the years made it shring and offset the stretching as a result of wearing it.

I think the BEAUTY of the nose mask is that it is designed for temporary use. People who "have to remove it when you wash the car" aren't using it right. They aren't for everyday drives. Nose masks are for specific drives that are designed to hit your front end with 1 year worth of stuff in one day.

I only used my Si's nose mask (which I still have) for long road trips. Sure the nose mask ends up ridiculously dirty as a result of killing 700 bugs, but the front end of your car remains pristine.

That's why I would like a nose mask on my CR-V over anything else, wear it on long road trips, take it off when I'm done.

It's a shame - I agree, if the odyssey doesn't offer it then Honda might be considering doing without them. But as of today, the 2017 Pilot and Ridgeline, Civic and others still offer them.

HondaForever
Profile for HondaForever
Re: Nose Mask    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-05-2017 09:24
garoto628 wrote:
I bought a nose mask on my 06 Si and the thing is as rigid (if not more) as new. I think the heat over the years made it shring and offset the stretching as a result of wearing it.

I think the BEAUTY of the nose mask is that it is designed for temporary use. People who "have to remove it when you wash the car" aren't using it right. They aren't for everyday drives. Nose masks are for specific drives that are designed to hit your front end with 1 year worth of stuff in one day.

I only used my Si's nose mask (which I still have) for long road trips. Sure the nose mask ends up ridiculously dirty as a result of killing 700 bugs, but the front end of your car remains pristine.

That's why I would like a nose mask on my CR-V over anything else, wear it on long road trips, take it off when I'm done.

It's a shame - I agree, if the odyssey doesn't offer it then Honda might be considering doing without them. But as of today, the 2017 Pilot and Ridgeline, Civic and others still offer them.

You obviously do not live in the winter zone. In Northeast Wisconsin where I live, the real damage is done, not by bugs, but by stone chips from the "gravel" they put down during the winter so that most of the rest of the year, you have these little things hitting your front end and doing tremendous damage to the paint. Indeed, even during the winter itself, you have chunks of ice flying off the road and doing similar damage, so different people use the nose mask for different purposes and different needs. I am not sure there is a "right or wrong" way to use it. The "right" way is whatever meets your driving and damage protection needs.

garoto
Profile for garoto
Re: Nose Mask    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-05-2017 22:19
HondaForever wrote:
garoto628 wrote:

You obviously do not live in the winter zone. In Northeast Wisconsin where I live, the real damage is done, not by bugs, but by stone chips from the "gravel" they put down during the winter so that most of the rest of the year, you have these little things hitting your front end and doing tremendous damage to the paint. Indeed, even during the winter itself, you have chunks of ice flying off the road and doing similar damage, so different people use the nose mask for different purposes and different needs. I am not sure there is a "right or wrong" way to use it. The "right" way is whatever meets your driving and damage protection needs.

I see. Yeah, I agree with you. We have no real winters in California. I think even for using it months at a time - removing it once every two weeks to dust it off, dry it out and wash or at least wipe clean the hood should suffice against permanent damage from the nosemask itself. It's a pain I do agree. However, how else can one protect the car? Clear bra is an option I suppose.

white06si
Profile for white06si
Re: Nose Mask    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-05-2017 23:48
You can buy a 3m clear bra for around $600. 3m says it will not hurt the paint if you remove it. The only thing I don't like about them is the line. If I were to do this I would protect the whole hood not just part of it. I would think this would prevent any lines. This is something you can do yourself. I was at a car show years ago and someone was selling this and you would gauge and scratch the film and all you had to do is heat it with a hair dryer and the gauge and scratches would disappear on the film. It was amazing to see that. Not sure if 3m does this or not.
garoto
Profile for garoto
Re: Nose Mask    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-06-2017 01:34
white06si wrote:
You can buy a 3m clear bra for around $600. 3m says it will not hurt the paint if you remove it. The only thing I don't like about them is the line. If I were to do this I would protect the whole hood not just part of it. I would think this would prevent any lines. This is something you can do yourself. I was at a car show years ago and someone was selling this and you would gauge and scratch the film and all you had to do is heat it with a hair dryer and the gauge and scratches would disappear on the film. It was amazing to see that. Not sure if 3m does this or not.

I'm currently talking to a shop who will do XPEL Ultimate for bumper, partial hood (with line) , mirrors, and headlights for $1075 and allow me to supervise the work, as I explained to them how anal I am and it would save everyone headaches. Basically, I will monitor bone-headedness such as drying the car with a dirty towel, roughing up the drying process, not using enough soap while washing, using soap too soon without enough pressure washing, using too little soap and too rough a sponge with too strong an arm, using a dirty clay bar during prep, and so on. I hear really good things about XPEL all over the web and they offer a 10 year warranty vs 3M's 5 year warranty.

3M's brand obviously has a stronger reputation, but in the PPF industry, it seems like XPEL has a strong hold.

With regards to the line on the hood - I agree it may be bothersome, I just don't know how much it will bother me. They do offer to do the whole hood and fenders to avoid any lines, but I feel like it is overkill and its like $400 more or something like that because of the amount of material and labor involved. I would argue that it is less labor, since there's less cutting involved.

I'm not sure which approach I will take, it is very expensive. With regards to doing it myself, I won't even try. I consider myself very meticulous, creative, and very crafty, but I tried doing one mirror and it was the worst experience ever. It really requires the experience of someone who has done this long enough to know all the gotchas and how to recover from them. They also use a special software that allows them to cut a computerized template with "additional margins" to ensure a full wrap. This is different than pre-cut kits, pre-cut kits leave gaps and don't have enough "give" to stretch and cover the full area.

This shop seems respectable, and I was very happy to hear his offer of allowing me to supervise. The price is expensive but I don't blame them, if I was doing this I wouldn't take less than $500 for labor - it is very labor intensive and the people who do it have that money well deserved. I guess $575 for materials is excessive and that's where the discount should come, if they'll be willing to budge.

garoto
Profile for garoto
Re: Nose Mask (XPEL Installed)    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-19-2017 23:52
I had XPEL installed on my bumper, mirrors, headlights, and fog lights and that stuff is awesome. It's completely invisible and seems to stick well and protect well.

The only thing I didn't like is that around the two bumper "wedges" on both sides of the car the CR-V pattern requires to be sliced / "cut" in order for the stuff to mold properly around the area. One side came better than the other where on one side they managed to hide the "line" really well and on the other side it's more visible and makes it look like the wedge has a scratch. That said, it's a skill thing and I think they did a great job overall. Being white paint and all and not seeing a single bubble or dust under the material speaks well of their work and the care they put into it.

The "line" bothers me a little but I think I'll get over it.

No car should leave the dealer lot without that stuff on it.

I chose not to do the hood or fenders because I've seen that crap crack and dry on the hood over the years due to the excessive heat from the engine. I also didn't want a line ok the hood or a "tan" upon removal. Full hood and fenders is overkill and obscenely expensive so I kept all metal naked.

white06si
Profile for white06si
Re: Nose Mask (XPEL Installed)    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-21-2017 21:42
XPEL. That is the product I saw at a car show. I thought it was a great product. I hope it holds up well. Report back with updates.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0