[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
More.......................
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
More.......................
American Honda Reports July Sales Results
More.......................
Official statement from Honda concerning flooding of Celaya factory
More.......................
News from the dealer side: 2019 HR-V, Fit, and Insight production impacted due to flooding in Celaya
More.......................
2019 Honda HR-V updated with styling tweaks, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, and available Honda Sensing
More.......................
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
More.......................
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
More.......................
Accord --> Re: Local dealer has a bunch of new 17 Accord Tourings in front of building.
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Alonso Quits F1
Join Discussion......
Pilot --> Re: Passport spy pics
Join Discussion......
Pilot --> Re: 2019 Pilot "Black Edition"
Join Discussion......
Honda Motorcycles --> Re: Retro Honda CBX returning - yes it has an L6. July 12-18
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: European HRV with 1.5 L VTEC Turbo engine coming Spring 2019
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Alaska Airlines plane hijacked
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Navigation and Subtle Aromatherapy
Join Discussion......
Clarity --> Re: Clarity PHEV Owner
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: "Moose Test". Nissan Kicks fail
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Re:Honda Debuts 2019 Civic Sport in Sedan and Coupe Form
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: H2 for All... again at last!
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: No more 3rd gen FC Clarity, Hello 2020 4th gen
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
Read Article....................
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec
Read Article....................

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > CR-V > > Re: Cruise Control Doesn't Hold Steady Speed (Videos)

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2 3
Author
  Post New Thread
garoto
Profile for garoto
Cruise Control Doesn't Hold Steady Speed    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-20-2017 00:34
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
My cruise control is poop. It doesn't hold a steady speed. I say 70mph and it keeps fluctuating been 69 and 70 like clockwork because the stupid computer keeps releasing and reapplying the throttle. Something is wrong. But it's very distracting to see the numbers so that. I can see the throttle release and reapply in the fuel economy view and in the tach. I could imagine that's not good for the engine either.

Anyone else?

Mike Freitas
Profile for Mike Freitas
Re: Cruise Control Doesn't Hold Steady Speed    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-20-2017 01:59
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Try disengaging the ACC (adaptive cruise control)... maybe it is thinking a vehicle ahead of you is not at a constant speed either and is trying to compensate.
garoto
Profile for garoto
Re: Cruise Control Doesn't Hold Steady Speed (Deandorsey?)    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-20-2017 02:12
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
garoto628 wrote:
My cruise control is poop. It doesn't hold a steady speed. I say 70mph and it keeps fluctuating been 69 and 70 like clockwork because the stupid computer keeps releasing and reapplying the throttle. Something is wrong. But it's very distracting to see the numbers so that. I can see the throttle release and reapply in the fuel economy view and in the tach. I could imagine that's not good for the engine either.

Anyone else?



Ok. I confirmed what the issue is.

If you're driving 70, and press "SET" to set your current speed it WILL hold it steady. This is the ONLY scenario under which cruise control holds steady, with one caveat the cruise control icon will say "71 mph" even though it holds it firm at your current speed on the speedo of 70mph.

Under any circumstance that you select a Speed using "RES", "+" or "-" and that's not your. Urgent Speed, the system will b "off-by-half". You will choose "70 mph" and it will mark "70 mph" in your cruise control icon but the speedo will keep wen "69 mph" and "70 mph" like clockwork because in reality, you selected 69.5 mph internally.

Clearly it's a bug and hopefully Honda will release an update to fix it. So, if you want steady speed drive up to that speed, and click "SET" and ignore the Speed on the cruise Control icon because it's wrong. Your speedo will bat the right Speed. Don't pre set your Speed or "reset" to it, that won't work.

Honda? I hope you read these.

Videos coming soon.

garoto
Profile for garoto
Re: Cruise Control Doesn't Hold Steady Speed    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-20-2017 02:43
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Mike Freitas wrote:
Try disengaging the ACC (adaptive cruise control)... maybe it is thinking a vehicle ahead of you is not at a constant speed either and is trying to compensate.


I don't think that's possible. But I now confirmed it's a bug. Not sure if it was like this fro, the factory or I need a reset of sorts.

garoto
Profile for garoto
Re: Cruise Control Doesn't Hold Steady Speed    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-20-2017 02:56
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Also, clicking "SET" on any Speed divisible by 5 will display under the cruise control icon with an additional 1mph even though it will hold it steady at the speed that IS divisible by 5 (70 displays as 71 under the cruise control icon, but is set as 70'and the speedo shows 70)

This is not the case when you "SET" your Speed at 76 mph. Both the speedo and the cruise Control icon displays "76 mph". However, at any Speed, you can only hold steady speed by using the "SET" button. Pre selecting a Speed using "+". "-" or "RES" will NOT hold a steady speed, using those buttons causes RPM and Speed fluctuation of 1mph.

BG
Profile for BG
Re: Cruise Control Doesn't Hold Steady Speed    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-20-2017 07:44
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Is this fluctuating on a steady straight road with zero inclines etc?

My near 10 year old Accord with compensate for inclines but it takes a second for the system to register for downhill's/uphills...

TBH, I don't see Honda doing a thing about it unless the difference is so dramatic it becomes a safety issue....

garoto
Profile for garoto
Re: Cruise Control Doesn't Hold Steady Speed    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-20-2017 10:55
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
BG wrote:
Is this fluctuating on a steady straight road with zero inclines etc?

My near 10 year old Accord with compensate for inclines but it takes a second for the system to register for downhill's/uphills...

TBH, I don't see Honda doing a thing about it unless the difference is so dramatic it becomes a safety issue....



Yes it does. It's very dramatic on the throttle. It's a clear bug. Honda needs to seriously be f***** kidding me with junk like this. WTF!

It HOLDS steady as a rock when I hit "SET".

The issue isn't then 1mph as much as it is the clockwork play on the throttle which is causing the 1mph. It's like it's looking to hold it to 69.5 mph and doesn't know how.

If honda doesn't fix this I will 100% have them buy back the car, I'm not going to be their fucking puppet. This is absolute nonsense. No company should let software out the door like this, seems like obscene rounding errors on what should just be integers, ridiculous.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Cruise Control Doesn't Hold Steady Speed (Deandorsey?)    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-20-2017 12:24
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
garoto628 wrote:
garoto628 wrote:
My cruise control is poop. It doesn't hold a steady speed. I say 70mph and it keeps fluctuating been 69 and 70 like clockwork because the stupid computer keeps releasing and reapplying the throttle. Something is wrong. But it's very distracting to see the numbers so that. I can see the throttle release and reapply in the fuel economy view and in the tach. I could imagine that's not good for the engine either.

Anyone else?



Ok. I confirmed what the issue is.

If you're driving 70, and press "SET" to set your current speed it WILL hold it steady. This is the ONLY scenario under which cruise control holds steady, with one caveat the cruise control icon will say "71 mph" even though it holds it firm at your current speed on the speedo of 70mph.

Under any circumstance that you select a Speed using "RES", "+" or "-" and that's not your. Urgent Speed, the system will b "off-by-half". You will choose "70 mph" and it will mark "70 mph" in your cruise control icon but the speedo will keep wen "69 mph" and "70 mph" like clockwork because in reality, you selected 69.5 mph internally.

Clearly it's a bug and hopefully Honda will release an update to fix it. So, if you want steady speed drive up to that speed, and click "SET" and ignore the Speed on the cruise Control icon because it's wrong. Your speedo will bat the right Speed. Don't pre set your Speed or "reset" to it, that won't work.

Honda? I hope you read these.

Videos coming soon.



just a guess, but it could be that internally it's using kph units internally for the CC and you're on a "rounding error" threshold?

as a fun experiment, try changing the dash to kph and see how it behaves.

But seriously, an occasional 1mph glitch? This is THAT irritating to you?

garoto
Profile for garoto
Re: Cruise Control Doesn't Hold Steady Speed (Deandorsey?)    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-20-2017 12:44
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
JeffX wrote:
garoto628 wrote:
garoto628 wrote:
My cruise control is poop. It doesn't hold a steady speed. I say 70mph and it keeps fluctuating been 69 and 70 like clockwork because the stupid computer keeps releasing and reapplying the throttle. Something is wrong. But it's very distracting to see the numbers so that. I can see the throttle release and reapply in the fuel economy view and in the tach. I could imagine that's not good for the engine either.

Anyone else?



Ok. I confirmed what the issue is.

If you're driving 70, and press "SET" to set your current speed it WILL hold it steady. This is the ONLY scenario under which cruise control holds steady, with one caveat the cruise control icon will say "71 mph" even though it holds it firm at your current speed on the speedo of 70mph.

Under any circumstance that you select a Speed using "RES", "+" or "-" and that's not your. Urgent Speed, the system will b "off-by-half". You will choose "70 mph" and it will mark "70 mph" in your cruise control icon but the speedo will keep wen "69 mph" and "70 mph" like clockwork because in reality, you selected 69.5 mph internally.

Clearly it's a bug and hopefully Honda will release an update to fix it. So, if you want steady speed drive up to that speed, and click "SET" and ignore the Speed on the cruise Control icon because it's wrong. Your speedo will bat the right Speed. Don't pre set your Speed or "reset" to it, that won't work.

Honda? I hope you read these.

Videos coming soon.



just a guess, but it could be that internally it's using kph units internally for the CC and you're on a "rounding error" threshold?

as a fun experiment, try changing the dash to kph and see how it behaves.

But seriously, an occasional 1mph glitch? This is THAT irritating to you?



Hey Jeff, GREAT idea to test. Yes, it is definitely 100% a rounding error its struggling with.

Well, to be fair, it is less irritating because I have ONE way by which I can set it steady. Honestly, the 1mph isn't what bothers me, it is the fact that it keeps applying and releasing the throttle. When it releases it goes down from 70 to 60, then it applies it and brings it back to 70, then it releases and goes back down. Seeing and "feeling" the throttle application in the car is what bothers me.

Video coming up.

deandorsey
Profile for deandorsey
Re: Cruise Control Doesn't Hold Steady Speed (Deandorsey?)    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-20-2017 12:49
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I assume all of the Honda/Acura cruse controls I've had have been kph based. Whenever I'd hit the acc to go up 1 mph it would go about half.


I have none of these "issues". My biggest gripe is that the back button the steering wheel won't clear the display when I get a text like it did in my SI.

The CR-V is amazing- zero regrets.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Cruise Control Doesn't Hold Steady Speed (Deandorsey?)    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-20-2017 12:54
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
garoto628 wrote:
JeffX wrote:
garoto628 wrote:
garoto628 wrote:
My cruise control is poop. It doesn't hold a steady speed. I say 70mph and it keeps fluctuating been 69 and 70 like clockwork because the stupid computer keeps releasing and reapplying the throttle. Something is wrong. But it's very distracting to see the numbers so that. I can see the throttle release and reapply in the fuel economy view and in the tach. I could imagine that's not good for the engine either.

Anyone else?



Ok. I confirmed what the issue is.

If you're driving 70, and press "SET" to set your current speed it WILL hold it steady. This is the ONLY scenario under which cruise control holds steady, with one caveat the cruise control icon will say "71 mph" even though it holds it firm at your current speed on the speedo of 70mph.

Under any circumstance that you select a Speed using "RES", "+" or "-" and that's not your. Urgent Speed, the system will b "off-by-half". You will choose "70 mph" and it will mark "70 mph" in your cruise control icon but the speedo will keep wen "69 mph" and "70 mph" like clockwork because in reality, you selected 69.5 mph internally.

Clearly it's a bug and hopefully Honda will release an update to fix it. So, if you want steady speed drive up to that speed, and click "SET" and ignore the Speed on the cruise Control icon because it's wrong. Your speedo will bat the right Speed. Don't pre set your Speed or "reset" to it, that won't work.

Honda? I hope you read these.

Videos coming soon.



just a guess, but it could be that internally it's using kph units internally for the CC and you're on a "rounding error" threshold?

as a fun experiment, try changing the dash to kph and see how it behaves.

But seriously, an occasional 1mph glitch? This is THAT irritating to you?



Hey Jeff, GREAT idea to test. Yes, it is definitely 100% a rounding error its struggling with.

Well, to be fair, it is less irritating because I have ONE way by which I can set it steady. Honestly, the 1mph isn't what bothers me, it is the fact that it keeps applying and releasing the throttle. When it releases it goes down from 70 to 60, then it applies it and brings it back to 70, then it releases and goes back down. Seeing and "feeling" the throttle application in the car is what bothers me.

Video coming up.



also you didn't mention it so i assume you're not driving in "ECO" mode, right? Because in ECO mode it will supposedly relax that hysteresis window even wider, permitting the car to slow down even more while going up steep hills.

garoto
Profile for garoto
Re: Cruise Control Doesn't Hold Steady Speed (Deandorsey?)    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-20-2017 12:59
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
JeffX wrote:
garoto628 wrote:
JeffX wrote:
garoto628 wrote:
garoto628 wrote:
My cruise control is poop. It doesn't hold a steady speed. I say 70mph and it keeps fluctuating been 69 and 70 like clockwork because the stupid computer keeps releasing and reapplying the throttle. Something is wrong. But it's very distracting to see the numbers so that. I can see the throttle release and reapply in the fuel economy view and in the tach. I could imagine that's not good for the engine either.

Anyone else?



Ok. I confirmed what the issue is.

If you're driving 70, and press "SET" to set your current speed it WILL hold it steady. This is the ONLY scenario under which cruise control holds steady, with one caveat the cruise control icon will say "71 mph" even though it holds it firm at your current speed on the speedo of 70mph.

Under any circumstance that you select a Speed using "RES", "+" or "-" and that's not your. Urgent Speed, the system will b "off-by-half". You will choose "70 mph" and it will mark "70 mph" in your cruise control icon but the speedo will keep wen "69 mph" and "70 mph" like clockwork because in reality, you selected 69.5 mph internally.

Clearly it's a bug and hopefully Honda will release an update to fix it. So, if you want steady speed drive up to that speed, and click "SET" and ignore the Speed on the cruise Control icon because it's wrong. Your speedo will bat the right Speed. Don't pre set your Speed or "reset" to it, that won't work.

Honda? I hope you read these.

Videos coming soon.



just a guess, but it could be that internally it's using kph units internally for the CC and you're on a "rounding error" threshold?

as a fun experiment, try changing the dash to kph and see how it behaves.

But seriously, an occasional 1mph glitch? This is THAT irritating to you?



Hey Jeff, GREAT idea to test. Yes, it is definitely 100% a rounding error its struggling with.

Well, to be fair, it is less irritating because I have ONE way by which I can set it steady. Honestly, the 1mph isn't what bothers me, it is the fact that it keeps applying and releasing the throttle. When it releases it goes down from 70 to 60, then it applies it and brings it back to 70, then it releases and goes back down. Seeing and "feeling" the throttle application in the car is what bothers me.

Video coming up.



also you didn't mention it so i assume you're not driving in "ECO" mode, right? Because in ECO mode it will supposedly relax that hysteresis window even wider, permitting the car to slow down even more while going up steep hills.



Yeah, its not on "ECO" mode. But I tested it in D, D+ECO, SPORT, SPORT + ECO, the same behavior exists in all modes. The only way I'm able to keep a steady speed is setting the desired speed with my foot input then hitting, "SET".

Any change with the "+", "-", or even if I "Cancel" then "RES" or brake then "RES" it will come back to the fluctuating speed, 69.5 if I ask for 70, or 49.5 if I ask for 50 or whatever.

garoto
Profile for garoto
Re: Cruise Control Doesn't Hold Steady Speed    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-20-2017 13:02
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Set to 75 by foot, marks it at 76, holds it steady at 75:
https://flic.kr/p/SVCh1P

Set to 75 by using the "+", makrs it as 75, fluctuates between 74 and 75, throttle keeps getting released and re-applied:
https://flic.kr/p/RT2swa

garoto
Profile for garoto
Re: Cruise Control Doesn't Hold Steady Speed (Deandorsey?)    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-20-2017 13:09
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
deandorsey wrote:
I assume all of the Honda/Acura cruse controls I've had have been kph based. Whenever I'd hit the acc to go up 1 mph it would go about half.


I have none of these "issues". My biggest gripe is that the back button the steering wheel won't clear the display when I get a text like it did in my SI.

The CR-V is amazing- zero regrets.



I do have my frustrations, I don't have regrets. I love the CR-V. But man, Honda has QA issues, in terms of electronics, its like a german car.

In order to test it properly, you'd really need to be in a long stretch of flat road, its hard to discern in city / local interstate driving because as it is there are a lot of variations in those settings. but you might be able to see it on a one-minute long stretch.

I was driving down the 5 freeway from Southern California to Northern California, so I had 5 hours of flat straights to get ridiculously bothered by it.

It smells like software so I highly doubt its unique to my car unless its something that somehow "developed" in its memory and I need to reset my car by unplugging the battery. Definitely software though.


garoto
Profile for garoto
Re: Cruise Control Doesn't Hold Steady Speed (Videos)    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-20-2017 13:14
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
garoto628 wrote:
Set to 75 by foot, marks it at 76, holds it steady at 75:
https://flic.kr/p/SVCh1P

Set to 75 by using the "+", makrs it as 75, fluctuates between 74 and 75, throttle keeps getting released and re-applied:
https://flic.kr/p/RT2swa



The second video will really freak you out, it might hypnotize you.

chhan02
Profile for chhan02
Re: Cruise Control Doesn't Hold Steady Speed (Videos)    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-20-2017 13:21
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Can you hear/feel the throttle being applied to climb that 1mph? Hard to tell by the video.
garoto
Profile for garoto
Re: Cruise Control Doesn't Hold Steady Speed (Videos)    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-20-2017 13:29
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
chhan02 wrote:
Can you hear/feel the throttle being applied to climb that 1mph? Hard to tell by the video.


I agree, hard to tell in the video. But yes, I definitely hear it and feel it. Driving at midnight down the 5 freeway made it easy to hear and feel, its flat, smooth and long and rather quiet. The hear / feel is the most annoying part to me.

garoto
Profile for garoto
Re: Cruise Control Doesn't Hold Steady Speed (Videos)    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-20-2017 13:33
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
chhan02 wrote:
Can you hear/feel the throttle being applied to climb that 1mph? Hard to tell by the video.


In order to see the RPM fluctuation on this video that makes it harder to see, keep an eye on the distance between the "red" tach line, and the 2.5k RPM white "tick" mark. You'll be able to see the fluctuation.

Gfn8r
Profile for Gfn8r
Re: Cruise Control Doesn't Hold Steady Speed    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-20-2017 13:36
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I know that my 2013 Touring has always indicated 0.5mph lower on the speedometer than what the ACC display indicates.

An early 2013 Touring, as well as a 2017 Hybrid I had as a dealer loaner, were both spot-on. IIRC, the dealer said that up to a +-1mph variance is acceptable.

IIRC, the last time I drove my Mom's 2007 Civic, the speed on the digital readout occasionally varied by 1mph, as well.

garoto
Profile for garoto
Re: Cruise Control Doesn't Hold Steady Speed    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-20-2017 13:44
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Gfn8r wrote:
I know that my 2013 Touring has always indicated 0.5mph lower on the speedometer than what the ACC display indicates.

An early 2013 Touring, as well as a 2017 Hybrid I had as a dealer loaner, were both spot-on. IIRC, the dealer said that up to a +-1mph variance is acceptable.

IIRC, the last time I drove my Mom's 2007 Civic, the speed on the digital readout occasionally varied by 1mph, as well.



I think a 1mph variance is acceptable but not this dramatic oscillation. Its annoying and distracting and it can't be good for the engine. The problem here is less about the 1mph in my opinion and more about the releasing and re-adding of the throttle.

There's also a way to make it be consistent, which is by setting the speed with your foot, then hitting "set". So the mechanics of the car and the computer know how to keep a set speed, but it is how you register what speed you want and how it interprets it that is causing this issue. As far as the computer knows, I'm asking it to go at 69.5 which I imagine requires a lot of throttle management. Even worse if I'm actually asking it to go at 69.458, that's got to be a bitch for the computer on a 3000lbs monster.


garoto
Profile for garoto
Re: Cruise Control Doesn't Hold Steady Speed    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-20-2017 13:58
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
And to be clear, I'm okay with all the typical Cruise Control behavior where the car goes way past the set speed while coasting, and the fact that the speed may be lower than what's set in steep hills, and that the speed can fluctuate in small hills while it tries to accommodate things.

But this is difference, these are flat long stretches of roads with very clear behavioral issues depending on how you interacted with the controls to set your speed. ["SET"] holds the speed steady, using ["+", "-", "RES"] do fluctuate.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Cruise Control Doesn't Hold Steady Speed (Videos)    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-20-2017 14:47
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
garoto628 wrote:
garoto628 wrote:
Set to 75 by foot, marks it at 76, holds it steady at 75:
https://flic.kr/p/SVCh1P

Set to 75 by using the "+", makrs it as 75, fluctuates between 74 and 75, throttle keeps getting released and re-applied:
https://flic.kr/p/RT2swa



The second video will really freak you out, it might hypnotize you.




That would be SUPER annoying on a long drive. You can't really perceive the throttle fluctuations on the video, but you can see it clearly with the MPG meter. That is a huge window of variance. I would take it in and see if they can do anything for it.

garoto
Profile for garoto
Re: Cruise Control Doesn't Hold Steady Speed (Videos)    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-20-2017 14:51
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
owequitit wrote:
garoto628 wrote:
garoto628 wrote:
Set to 75 by foot, marks it at 76, holds it steady at 75:
https://flic.kr/p/SVCh1P

Set to 75 by using the "+", makrs it as 75, fluctuates between 74 and 75, throttle keeps getting released and re-applied:
https://flic.kr/p/RT2swa



The second video will really freak you out, it might hypnotize you.




That would be SUPER annoying on a long drive. You can't really perceive the throttle fluctuations on the video, but you can see it clearly with the MPG meter. That is a huge window of variance. I would take it in and see if they can do anything for it.



THANK YOU owequitit. I agree, it is VERY annoying. And it can't be good for fuel economy, or the engine, oil, turbo, etc. Just opening and closing the throttle like that seems terrible.

About taking it in, man these guys don't have a clue what they're doing. What I expect the outcome to be is:

1. Leave it all day only to come back and say "can't replicate"
2. Leave it all day only to come back and say "its a characteristic of the car"
3. Feel the issue and say "There is no corrective action, goodbye".

When things are software, I prefer to just wait until Honda releases a TSB. This SMELLS LIKE SOFTWARE all over the place.

chhan02
Profile for chhan02
Re: Cruise Control Doesn't Hold Steady Speed (Videos)    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-20-2017 18:14
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Yes I can see the fluctuation in the RPM. I rarely use cruise control but this would still drive me nuts. I am still in the market for the CRV, but now I might have to wait a bit longer. Hopefully there is a TSB for these little issues.
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Cruise Control Doesn't Hold Steady Speed (Videos)    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-20-2017 23:05
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
chhan02 wrote:
Yes I can see the fluctuation in the RPM. I rarely use cruise control but this would still drive me nuts. I am still in the market for the CRV, but now I might have to wait a bit longer. Hopefully there is a TSB for these little issues.


it's hard to really understand fully what's going on in the video without more data, like the calculated load (was it windy? uphill? changing elevations?). Without knowing more, just from the video it looks like the system is maybe varying the ratio of the CVT slightly or maybe slipping the torque converter a bit in attempt to balance things out (primarily optimizing FE against the desired speed). When you have a CVT, a torque converter, a turbo, ACC, AND DBW, there are roughly a trillion variables at play. And now Honda's ECUs are calculating everything based upon torque demand. It's incredibly complicated, but when it all works out you end up with fantastic fuel economy with minimal compromise in performance.

For fun, you should try it with the ECO button engaged on the same stretch of road and see if the rpms hold a bit more steady, at the expense of set speed.

garoto
Profile for garoto
Re: Cruise Control Doesn't Hold Steady Speed (Videos)    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-20-2017 23:38
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
JeffX wrote:
chhan02 wrote:
Yes I can see the fluctuation in the RPM. I rarely use cruise control but this would still drive me nuts. I am still in the market for the CRV, but now I might have to wait a bit longer. Hopefully there is a TSB for these little issues.


it's hard to really understand fully what's going on in the video without more data, like the calculated load (was it windy? uphill? changing elevations?). Without knowing more, just from the video it looks like the system is maybe varying the ratio of the CVT slightly or maybe slipping the torque converter a bit in attempt to balance things out (primarily optimizing FE against the desired speed). When you have a CVT, a torque converter, a turbo, ACC, AND DBW, there are roughly a trillion variables at play. And now Honda's ECUs are calculating everything based upon torque demand. It's incredibly complicated, but when it all works out you end up with fantastic fuel economy with minimal compromise in performance.

For fun, you should try it with the ECO button engaged on the same stretch of road and see if the rpms hold a bit more steady, at the expense of set speed.



I honestly doubt it. What you see on the video went on for an hour straight. As soon as I hit "cancel" then "set" the fluctuation and throttle play goes away and holds steady. Then if I hit the "+" then "-" to bring it back to 75 it comes back. The only way it works is if I set the speed with my foot at 75, cruise control marks it as 76 and it holds it steady at 75.

Interestingly, when you are clicking "set" you can never "set" it to a number divisible by 5. It always sets it to 1mph higher. You can set it at any other speeds not divisible by 5 however.


PoweredbyHondaX
Profile for PoweredbyHondaX
Re: Cruise Control Doesn't Hold Steady Speed (Videos)    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-21-2017 03:19
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
i think this is a case of the fuel economy computer dealing with a high strung tiny turbo trying to maintain high speed?


superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Cruise Control Doesn't Hold Steady Speed (Videos)    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-21-2017 03:29
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
PoweredbyHondaX wrote:
i think this is a case of the fuel economy computer dealing with a high strung tiny turbo trying to maintain high speed?



I also was wondering if the in /out of boost would have an effect.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Cruise Control Doesn't Hold Steady Speed (Videos)    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-21-2017 12:19
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Same/similar?

http://www.civicx.com/threads/cvt-surging-up-and-down.1269/

PoweredbyHondaX
Profile for PoweredbyHondaX
Re: Cruise Control Doesn't Hold Steady Speed (Videos)    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-21-2017 12:51
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
i have a 15 crv touring and when i use CC i dont have this issue. so i think its the engine, not the camera or radar or cvt.

could just need a software update on the engine.

i updated my engine software and cvt last year but lost 0.5mpg for it.


 
Thread Page - [1] 2 3
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0