[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Honda Fit Render
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Kandi EV Approved for US
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda's new sub-brand Honda e
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: My first helmet !
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Honda closing UK plant that builds the Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Original NSX prototype only had a SOHC V6 without VTEC
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Rumours that Honda will close its Swindon plant
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Sunny came home with a mission
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > TSX > > Re: 2017 Acura TLX Crash Test - Video

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
mark0006
Profile for mark0006
2017 Acura TLX Crash Test - Video    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-08-2016 14:29
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
2017 Acura TLX Crash Test 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZRrJ1Ch4d0

Fan Koni
Profile for Fan Koni
Re: 2017 Acura TLX Crash Test - Video    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-08-2016 14:41
Did this inspire the fragment "diamond" design for the APC?
mad_ox1
Profile for mad_ox1
Re: 2017 Acura TLX Crash Test - Video    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-08-2016 16:59
Watching this and the Ridgeline video just posted, I know which I'd rather crash in. In the truck, that dummy barely moved.

Interesting watching the airbag spin as the wheels turn when the car moves to the side.

PoweredbyHondaX
Profile for PoweredbyHondaX
Re: 2017 Acura TLX Crash Test - Video    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-08-2016 21:11
mad_ox1 wrote:
Watching this and the Ridgeline video just posted, I know which I'd rather crash in. In the truck, that dummy barely moved.

Interesting watching the airbag spin as the wheels turn when the car moves to the side.

actually the tlx safety cage held up better. as you can see the front windshield was not cracked. but in the ridgeline the cage bent to much and the windshield shattered.

Meaning the A pillars of the tlx are stronger it seems.

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: 2017 Acura TLX Crash Test - Video    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-08-2016 23:54
TSX forum though?
Phil17
Profile for Phil17
Re: 2017 Acura TLX Crash Test - Video    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-09-2016 11:36
pretty sure the 2017 still only managed an "acceptable" rating. this after the 2016 received "marginal" for the small overlap test.... FYI the previous TL got "good"
eneka
Profile for eneka
Re: 2017 Acura TLX Crash Test - Video    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-09-2016 16:15
One thing that I think really stands out is how a lot of cars "slam" into the barrier while all volvos just shear right off.

nightflow
Profile for nightflow
Re: 2017 Acura TLX Crash Test - Video    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-09-2016 17:21
Is that a good or bad thing? Deflecting to the side could also mean it puts the passengers in harm's way and oncoming traffic w/o a front wheel instead of the crumple zones doing its job. The windshield still shattered near the A pillar. Knowing that it's a Volvo implies safety is a focus and that this is desired behavior? Dunno.
PoweredbyHondaX
Re: 2017 Acura TLX Crash Test - Video    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-09-2016 21:49
nightflow wrote:
Is that a good or bad thing? Deflecting to the side could also mean it puts the passengers in harm's way and oncoming traffic w/o a front wheel instead of the crumple zones doing its job. The windshield still shattered near the A pillar. Knowing that it's a Volvo implies safety is a focus and that this is desired behavior? Dunno.

i think its a good thing because the car still has alot of foward momentum that was not entering the cabin. and usually it will hit something else after but with a full frontal and even less energy will come into the cabin.

eneka
Profile for eneka
Re: 2017 Acura TLX Crash Test - Video    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-09-2016 23:15
nightflow wrote:

if you look at technical measurements the have the lowest HIC for small overlap. You do have a valid point but I'm guessing they're just trying to minimize the forces.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: 2017 Acura TLX Crash Test - Video    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-11-2016 23:48
nightflow wrote:

Well first, it is actually moving away from the direction of traffic so that helps.

Second, the passenger safety cell is supposed to prevent the impact force from entering the passenger cell, which the Volvo most certainly did. That makes it effective. I don't really like the idea of wheels going into oncoming traffic, but ultimately, that would absorb a fair bit of force, which further decreases the forces that are transmitted to the occupants.

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: 2017 Acura TLX Crash Test - Video    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-12-2016 00:59
owequitit wrote:

Well first, it is actually moving away from the direction of traffic so that helps.

And straight into roadside furniture, trees and the like. And with the passenger safety cell already compromised, the secondary impact may be of some importance?

While I understand that the Volvo scenario is a good outcome for the passengers on the initial impact, the car moving off like that does open up other considerations. I wonder if Volvo have quantified this scenario, and was it designed to shear off like that??

PoweredbyHondaX
Re: 2017 Acura TLX Crash Test - Video    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-12-2016 10:03
i think my post got screwed up.

the volvo went about 30 feet after it seems at a slow pace. so its not a big deal the 2nd crash.

unless someone is walking by the exact second the driver gets into a very RARE front overlap hit.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: 2017 Acura TLX Crash Test - Video    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-12-2016 12:25
sadlerau wrote:
owequitit wrote:

And straight into roadside furniture, trees and the like. And with the passenger safety cell already compromised, the secondary impact may be of some importance?

While I understand that the Volvo scenario is a good outcome for the passengers on the initial impact, the car moving off like that does open up other considerations. I wonder if Volvo have quantified this scenario, and was it designed to shear off like that??

A crash on the left wouldn't likely compromise the structure on the right, but even so, it is unlikely that the secondary impacts would be anywhere near as severe since the whole crash sequence dissipates a tremendous amount of energy from the car.

They would probably have to test that specific scenario, but it would be unlikely and relatively low risk compared to the known quantity that is an offset head on collision. It is moving the crash energy around the structure by deflecting the car, but it would be an interesting experiment. Notice that the cars (like the TLX) that take the full force have little to no movement after the crash sequence. That is good in that when it is over it is over, but it is bad because the full force of the crash enters the structure, and potentially the passenger cell.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0