[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
General Talk --> Re: Said Goodbye to the MDX Today
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Will Honda join Aston Martin and Red Bull with Sports Cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Z6 head studs
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - Toro Rosso STR14 Pictures
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Honda Fit Render
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Facts about HMA - 60 years of AHM - 50 years of CB750
Join Discussion......
Audio & Electronics --> Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Kandi EV Approved for US
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > TSX > > Re: 500,000 Mile TSX Dyno Tested

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
500,000 Mile TSX Dyno Tested    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-07-2016 16:09
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
160hp, 125lb-ft at the wheels with the original drive train. Only about a 10hp loss over the 500,000 miles it's driven. 175 psi in cylinders 1 and 2, 180 psi in cylinders 3 and 4.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: 500,000 Mile TSX Dyno Tested    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-07-2016 17:40
Pretty solid results for 500K.

I guess this was your Mom's TSX, originally.
Did the front end get bumped again? I remember it was involved in a fender bender a couple of years ago.

How's the Vigor progressing? Do you have it on the road yet?

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: 500,000 Mile TSX Dyno Tested    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-07-2016 18:18
Lol! No! This is Josh Clymers TSX. And yes it does still pack a punch!

https://tsxtravels.com/

Mine has only 125K on it.

Oh the Vigor... I'm about to try to take it to a shop. I'm not a mechanic and I have done all that I could with it without having a shop or shop tools.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: 500,000 Mile TSX Dyno Tested    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-07-2016 19:12
Makes sense.
RMTRADER
Profile for RMTRADER
Re: 500,000 Mile TSX Dyno Tested    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-07-2016 19:32
Love this car. Should never have sold mine.
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: 500,000 Mile TSX Dyno Tested    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-08-2016 09:35
Hondatalover wrote:

Oh the Vigor... I'm about to try to take it to a shop. I'm not a mechanic and I have done all that I could with it without having a shop or shop tools.

Hopefully, they'll tell you it was just the holistic actuator variator pin or something that needed freeing off and you're a dumbass for not realising...

outersquare
Profile for outersquare
Re: 500,000 Mile TSX Dyno Tested    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-08-2016 12:35

What's sad is 10 model years later and even despite 500K miles, the CVT I4 accord makes the same WHP.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: 500,000 Mile TSX Dyno Tested    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-08-2016 16:13
Nick GravesX wrote:
Hondatalover wrote:

Hopefully, they'll tell you it was just the holistic actuator variator pin or something that needed freeing off and you're a dumbass for not realising...

...or faulty muffler bearings.
:)

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: 500,000 Mile TSX Dyno Tested    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-08-2016 18:30
Nick GravesX wrote:
Hondatalover wrote:

He's so lucky it ain't an Alfa....

If so, it'd be some part that was included in that model year, but they had something like four variations they used as buckets of parts were delivered and they didn't keep track of what went where... but they all have the same part description, in italian.

Partita secondaria de valvula accomodatione i influenza troppo grande a marchiotti.

No part numbers, of course.

And they are incompatible and held by german sourced rivets that are impossible to loosen and you have to order one part at a time, waiting four weeks for the part to come in from some New Jersey warehouse in a mafia owned industrial park north of Hoboken, hoping that you find the one that fits. Knowing all along that you have to fully press the new rivets to verify you got the right part, and knowing your mechanic, Napoli, will spend four hours drilling out the rivets in the likely case you got the wrong part.

Always realizing that there was the possibility that the particular part had been replaced at the port of entry in the US -Hackensack- to satisfy some obscure EPA rule of the time and the part was standard -not metric- and held by a mixture of rivets and screws and Lucas sourced electronics.

Naturally, being Americans, they used a part number:

OYUNLOPJ-7809-ADD8887-KHJI-0-99-OD-PPDF-12333-$$

None of which (part, documents, records) are available today, as it all was lost in a fire 10 years ago while in storage in Sparks, Nevada, at another mafia owned warehouse. Note- the Mafia made a killing on the insurance on that one.

At some point, you and your mechanic will exchange Xmas cards and you'll find a great cup if espresso waiting for you everytime (often) you show up at the shop, and then you'll find out that you just want to buy something that runs.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: 500,000 Mile TSX Dyno Tested    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-09-2016 01:10
Hondatalover wrote:

The fun of projects like that is the learning though. If you start to buy tools that you need for the job, soon you won't need a shop's tools and it isn't really a huge upfront cost because you are doing it a little at a time.

However, you are probably at the point where you really need the troubleshooting shooting sections in the Helm's manual, which are worth their weight in gold. Those are typically only about a $60 investment, which after you make it, you will wonder why you didn't earlier.

Don't give up, you are probably so close.

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: 500,000 Mile TSX Dyno Tested    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-09-2016 22:57
owequitit wrote:
Hondatalover wrote:

The fun of projects like that is the learning though. If you start to buy tools that you need for the job, soon you won't need a shop's tools and it isn't really a huge upfront cost because you are doing it a little at a time.

However, you are probably at the point where you really need the troubleshooting shooting sections in the Helm's manual, which are worth their weight in gold. Those are typically only about a $60 investment, which after you make it, you will wonder why you didn't earlier.

I have the OEM million page long Vigor FSM from 1993, is the Helms better?

I'm buying impact guns and a nicer set of sockets and wrenches, but just need a better place to do this work and store the tools.

(Really wish we had some type of garage)

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: 500,000 Mile TSX Dyno Tested    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-10-2016 00:14
Hondatalover wrote:
owequitit wrote:
Hondatalover wrote:

I'm buying impact guns and a nicer set of sockets and wrenches, but just need a better place to do this work and store the tools.

Helm's is the company that publishes the factory manuals, so if you already have it, then you just have to work your way through the troubleshooting section. You had a CEL light right? Because if you do, that should be pretty easy. The only really hard part is the ECU test harness that you can't get.

94sirX
Profile for 94sirX
Re: 500,000 Mile TSX Dyno Tested    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-10-2016 06:34
TonyEX wrote:

If so, it'd be some part that was included in that model year, but they had something like four variations they used as buckets of parts were delivered and they didn't keep track of what went where... but they all have the same part description, in italian.

Partita secondaria de valvula accomodatione i influenza troppo grande a marchiotti.

And they are incompatible and held by german sourced rivets that are impossible to loosen and you have to order one part at a time, waiting four weeks for the part to come in from some New Jersey warehouse in a mafia owned industrial park north of Hoboken, hoping that you find the one that fits. Knowing all along that you have to fully press the new rivets to verify you got the right part, and knowing your mechanic, Napoli, will spend four hours drilling out the rivets in the likely case you got the wrong part.

Always realizing that there was the possibility that the particular part had been replaced at the port of entry in the US -Hackensack- to satisfy some obscure EPA rule of the time and the part was standard -not metric- and held by a mixture of rivets and screws and Lucas sourced electronics.

None of which (part, documents, records) are available today, as it all was lost in a fire 10 years ago while in storage in Sparks, Nevada, at another mafia owned warehouse. Note- the Mafia made a killing on the insurance on that one.

At some point, you and your mechanic will exchange Xmas cards and you'll find a great cup if espresso waiting for you everytime (often) you show up at the shop, and then you'll find out that you just want to buy something that runs.

Hahaha, brilliant! Bit rough though...I've owned a couple of Alfas, the last being a 156 GTA. It was a fantastically entertaining car and actually pretty reliable, except for suspension bushes being a constant source of wear and noise. Was cheap enough to own and service (and find parts for without mafia connections!) when I was in the UK, but I brought back to NZ with me and suddenly things like a cambelt change became extortion. Great v6, but certainly wouldn't have lasted 500000 miles!

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: 500,000 Mile TSX Dyno Tested    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-10-2016 07:07
94sirX wrote:
TonyEX wrote:

Hahaha, brilliant! Bit rough though...I've owned a couple of Alfas, the last being a 156 GTA. It was a fantastically entertaining car and actually pretty reliable, except for suspension bushes being a constant source of wear and noise. Was cheap enough to own and service (and find parts for without mafia connections!) when I was in the UK, but I brought back to NZ with me and suddenly things like a cambelt change became extortion. Great v6, but certainly wouldn't have lasted 500000 miles!

The last Alfa we got in the US was the early '90s 164 in LS, SE, LSSE, SESE, whatever versions they thought would sell, I guess. I thought the thing was brilliant from just sitting in them at a couple of auto shows. Well, if I ever figured out the Apollo command module array of buttons on the center console.

I'm sure the later Alfas with modern electronics and more commonly shared drivetrains were better cars but they were less "Alfa Romeo". Joan Jett had her "I Hate Myself For Loving You" song in the late '80s. Pretty much sums it all up. I still chuckle when I think of the illustrated lady driver/owner in the Milano owner's manual instructions (This is how you buckle the seat belt.) was this bombshell of a super model woman. Italians!

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: 500,000 Mile TSX Dyno Tested    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-10-2016 19:28
Anyone who complains about Acura having too many buttons should be forced to spend a year driving the 164.

Chris_6MT
Profile for Chris_6MT
Re: 500,000 Mile TSX Dyno Tested    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-11-2016 09:07
Hondatalover wrote:
owequitit wrote:
Hondatalover wrote:

Better alternative than an impact gun, especially with no garage and limited storage:

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/cordless/2763-22

This thing is incredible. Popped my crank bolt off like it was nothing.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: 500,000 Mile TSX Dyno Tested    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-11-2016 14:05
Chris_6MT wrote:
Hondatalover wrote:
owequitit wrote:
Hondatalover wrote:

Better alternative than an impact gun, especially with no garage and limited storage:

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/cordless/2763-22

This thing is incredible. Popped my crank bolt off like it was nothing.

It sounds and looks like it is a battery powered impact wrench.

"M18 FUEL™ 1/2" High Torque Impact Wrench with Friction Ring Kit"

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: 500,000 Mile TSX Dyno Tested    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-11-2016 17:33
For $500 that's actually not too bad.

But 1,100 ft-lbs may break my wrist off before it breaks a bolt loose haha

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0