[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
General Talk --> Re: Said Goodbye to the MDX Today
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Will Honda join Aston Martin and Red Bull with Sports Cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Z6 head studs
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - Toro Rosso STR14 Pictures
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Honda Fit Render
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Facts about HMA - 60 years of AHM - 50 years of CB750
Join Discussion......
Audio & Electronics --> Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Kandi EV Approved for US
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: H22A in 98 Accord Sedan?

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
Intrude_R
Profile for Intrude_R
H22A in 98 Accord Sedan?    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-06-2003 13:31
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Hey, could someone help me out. I'm thinking about doing something to my 98 Accord EX Sedan besides the usually intake/exhaust and body kit. Is it possible to put an H22A into it? or would it be too expensive and complicated. I know an Accord Euro R uses an H22A 5 spd with helical LSD trans. Prelude SH H22A also uses same engine code and 5 spd Helical LSD.
gila
Profile for gila
Re: H22A in 98 Accord Sedan?    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-06-2003 13:44
Don't know about the price but its possible (though complicated) to put the 220 ps H22 into the CB,CD and CF accords (sorry not sure of the years). If your're talking about the same engine for the Prelude than its the Prelude type S and it makes slighly less 212 ps if I recall. The SH doesn't have the euro R engine. If you can get the engine from the Euro R Accord.
SilverAccord
Profile for SilverAccord
Re: H22A in 98 Accord Sedan?    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-07-2003 17:27
Yeah, there is one on sale on ebay right now w/an auto, and everything, 20k miles on it, I'm the winning bidder right now. 8/7/03.
I have a coupe 98 5 speed, and I've decided on not doing the prelude swap, but instead do a turbo. This is of course a way in the future, but you gotta have a plan, plus a turbo I think would be alot more fun/economical when compared to the prelude. Prelude motor gets terrible gas mileage.

Plus Turbo power is just too cool.

Intrude_R
Profile for Intrude_R
Re: H22A in 98 Accord Sedan?    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-08-2003 12:53
Yeah, now that I think about it, the turbo would probably be the best idea. More bang for the buck I'd say.
jarhead930
Profile for jarhead930
Re: H22A in 98 Accord Sedan?    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-08-2003 16:14
id disagree there....

depending on the turbo, you've now got turbo lag to worry about, not to mention having the characteristics of the car completely changed. plus, if you have a 98 accord, you have vtec already and ive been told the turbo manifold is terrible for the vvt.

an engine swap might be costly, but it is rewarding, especially if you do a complete Accord type R conversion with the mugen parts. there are a hundred turbo this or turbo that's out there but you dont see a proper Accord type R hardly ever.

just my two cents, but id say that putting a turbo on a vtec engine is probably the worst idea for that engine. ive known personally two people who fried their GSRs with a turbo.

SilverAccord
Profile for SilverAccord
Re: H22A in 98 Accord Sedan?    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-08-2003 21:56
Umm. NO. You're just wrong. wrong wrong.
Turbo+Vtec is not a problem. And the accord doen's have an intake cam phasing.
And they run turbos all the time, who cares if it's different, I've seen it done, w/the engine swap, it's cool, but for daily driving why not go w/a tried and true turbo kit, that is equal in price to a prelude ENGINE, not including the work for the mounts, the labor unless you're doing it yourself, the wiring, the ecu, the exhaust work, the fuel setup change, also the shift linkage change also. (pending on year) Also the final power for the turbo is better than the prelude. I owned a prelude, and believe it was sweet, but I'm telling you that if I was going to do a prelude swap, I'd put it in a smaller car like a civic or crx, or teg. If you're going for shows, I guess the Accord type R you speak of would be cool, but would never be an accord type R, unless you buy the 2.0 F series motor that is a destroked prelude motor. So... yeah. Dude, if you want power, go turbo, dohc swap is sweet, but to get the power you want out of it, PnP, roller followers, different intake manifold/Throttle body, cam shafts, valve springs, probably a stroker kit is in your future, even then it'll be hard to keep up w/a turbo motor. Oh, and a LSD, and heavy duty clutch.

But, again, do what you want, if it's a trailer queen, or you just want to say you have a prelude motor in an accord which is cool, go for it, but if you wanna race, auto cross etc, go w/a turbo, fuel mileage will stay really close. Etc. I've owned both cars, I know what both are like. Weird how that works.

gila
Profile for gila
Re: H22A in 98 Accord Sedan?    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-09-2003 01:07
The F20B makes 200ps in the CF4 SIR but the CF4 Euro R uses the H22 making 220ps (though not the actual engine designation lets call it the H22R)

Last edited by gila on 08-09-2003 01:11
importracer
Profile for importracer
Re: H22A in 98 Accord Sedan?    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-10-2003 19:38
i have the answer yes H22A is possible i have a 220hp euro r engine in my 1999 accord lx i'm warning you right now the parts that you have to buy specially the wires for the engine are costly. as you know the car steering wheel is on the right hand side in the euro accord and the way the wires are setup on the original engine is different from the american accord now you have to buy extensions and different wires so your engine is running correctly i couldn't start the engine the first time .buy a turbo if you are on a low budget i 'm happy with the euro r engine i also plan to put a turbo to it can you say 400 hp plus i hope anyways the engine cost me a total of 3500 dollars not including the modifications done to the car if you want a fast car quick turbo is the way, if you want a monster that will beat a regular accord turbocharged swap the engine and then turbocharged.
SilverAccord
Profile for SilverAccord
Re: H22A in 98 Accord Sedan?    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-11-2003 16:07
If you have the money for all of that, if I had that much money to throw around though, I'd rather do the same thing to a crx and have a real racing machine. Or turbo charge a manual v6. But what I'm planning is eagle rods, balance the crankshaft, je pistons, and port and polish the head and intake manifold. After all of that then up the fuel and ignition system, then drop the turbo on.
A guy in our car club w/a built b18 non-vtec turbo beat a turbo lude last week, the lude was surprised.
I'm all for putting a prelude motor in a smaller car like a crx, or integra, or even an older accord, but the newer american accords I think just aren't as cool as the older accords w/the prelude motors in them. Just personal opinion.

SilverAccord
Profile for SilverAccord
Re: H22A in 98 Accord Sedan?    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-11-2003 16:17
Hey man, I was wondering, do you have any of your old accord motor laying around, I am looking for a spare throttle body and intake manifold, or bottom end, or head. I'm wanting to do all the work myself. Or any ideas where I can get these parts at, I live in missouri, and spare accord parts are rare... none in junk yards.
importracer
Profile for importracer
Re: H22A in 98 Accord Sedan?    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-12-2003 22:32
sorry bro i sold the engine to someone who fried their original engine got some money out of it but to let you know my accord is my touring car, the type r integra is my racing baby but i am getting a little old for racing i was thinking of the new tl is a nice car but i will find out if there is anyone that has any spare parts from their original accord engine but keep on working on the car you will be surprise of the honda accord's potential a4 cyl accord is better than a v6 in a real race track because of power to weight ration and distribution i am talking euro type r engine vs us accord v6 and the euro type r has more parts and space to play with in the engine bay.oh and yes crx are the best i had it as my first ride.

1989 crx
1999 civic si
2000 integra type r
1998 honda accord ex
possible tsx or tl
honda powwaa!

importracer
Profile for importracer
Re: H22A in 98 Accord Sedan?    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-12-2003 22:42
yes i did the same i had a crx a couple of years back also a civic si both crash though sad day for me anyways yes i agree the crx is a real race machine i drove one now the v6 with a manual is a different story if you talk about an accord v6 is not worth it it's potential is not as good and the lude is to heavy and gas mileage is bad that is why a b18/non turbo beat it just like i beat a hook up altima v6 manual tranny {my best friends car) with my accord but the accord is my touring /show off car i get my money from racing my integra in new jersey , dc, and maryland i will love to go to the west coast and race though, everything that you plan to do is good but takes money time and fucking dedication trust me i know, let me know how project accord goes.
Lude'a-delic
Profile for Lude'a-delic
Re: H22A in 98 Accord Sedan?    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-14-2003 01:36
The Accord and the Prelude use the same 2.2 block, but most Accords have the SOHC VTEC. It shouldn't be that expensive, you could probably get it done with around $1500 if there is a good junk yard close by.
Intrude_R
Profile for Intrude_R
Re: H22A in 98 Accord Sedan?    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-14-2003 10:20
Although it would be nice to have people turn heads when they see a 98 Accord row by with the "PshHhhhh" sound... the Euro R conversion is very tempting... I've never seen one around... its good to know that someone has done it before though... at least i kno its possible now... now to make the decision of what to do...NA, Boost, NA, Boost.. what a tough choice...

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0