[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
General Talk --> Re: Said Goodbye to the MDX Today
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Will Honda join Aston Martin and Red Bull with Sports Cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Z6 head studs
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - Toro Rosso STR14 Pictures
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Honda Fit Render
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Facts about HMA - 60 years of AHM - 50 years of CB750
Join Discussion......
Audio & Electronics --> Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Kandi EV Approved for US
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > TSX > > Re: Philips Ultinons.

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Philips Ultinons.    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-29-2015 22:53
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
They're not terrible but they don't reach as far as stock or are as wide. Driving with just low beams is straining and a bit scary. I think I lost about 2000 lumens with the 6000K vs the 4300K stockies.

Hmmmmmm not sure if I like them. The color is nice... They just don't reach as far as I wished. They need a 100 hour burn in period so maybe they'll get brighter?

If they don't get brighter I'll either replace them with the OEM bulb or if I have the money, upgrade or Osrams Xenon 5000K 55watt bulbs and 55watt ballasts.

blackstripe77
Profile for blackstripe77
Re: Philips Ultinons.    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-30-2015 01:02
HID? From my research, best bulb on the market by far seems to be the Osram Cool Blue Intense 5000k. You might run into heat/wiring/color shift issues with 55w and it may not actually be any brighter. No need to put your good headlamp housings at risk. I believe the TSX has a really nice clear lens so that's not the issue either.

Spend some time on HIDPlanet, lots of good info there. The only thing stopping me from replacing my good OEM bulbs is the fact that the bumper and headlamps need to come out, and I'm not that bothered to go through that much trouble for two bulbs that don't need replacing. M

towncaptain
Profile for towncaptain
Re: Philips Ultinons.    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-30-2015 01:37
I think you should try PIAA Xtreme Whites if you want to stay halogen. To my knowledge, they run the same wattage as our stock bulbs. In my opinion, theyre the best halogens out there!

chhan02
Profile for chhan02
Re: Philips Ultinons.    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-30-2015 10:35
I'd stick with OEM (or any reputable brands) and 35w.

55w will burn out faster and the difference is minimal. It can attract cops too.

4300k and 5000k can sometimes be the same. It just depends on the manufacturer.

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: Philips Ultinons.    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-30-2015 11:19
I'm thinking about getting the Osrams later this year. The visibility is so bad with these. I'm driving around 24/7 with them on to help them burn in faster. If they even will. The color is nice and isn't super blue or anything, but it just doesn't shine as far. It's literally pitch black about 30ft ahead of me and going around country bends and hills at night requires me to flip the high beams on to see the road ahead. NOT COOL

I didn't remove the bumper to change my lights.

blackstripe77
Re: Philips Ultinons.    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-30-2015 12:32
Sounds like many on HIDP agree that the Ultinon 6000Ks are visibly less bright than OEM. Could also be due to our eyes being less efficient at picking up whiter light? On the other hand they also seem to agree that the CBIs give more light and more width. Definitely something I want to try if something else on the car needs to be worked on. Given how much shorter the nose of the RB3 is compared to your CL9 I'm guessing the engine bay on the RB3 is much tighter. Huge pain in the ass to change any of the bulbs, even with the reserve tanks and air intake plumbing removed. I think the HID bulb cover is pretty much touching the front wheel well so no chance I can access that without the headlights coming out.

Also I'm pretty sure you don't gain brightness through burn in. You gain color and lose lumens.

Also, are both bulbs installed in your pics? Driver's side bulb appears more purple.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Philips Ultinons.    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-30-2015 13:34
Hondatalover wrote:
They're not terrible but they don't reach as far as stock or are as wide. Driving with just low beams is straining and a bit scary. I think I lost about 2000 lumens with the 6000K vs the 4300K stockies.

Hmmmmmm not sure if I like them. The color is nice... They just don't reach as far as I wished. They need a 100 hour burn in period so maybe they'll get brighter?

If they don't get brighter I'll either replace them with the OEM bulb or if I have the money, upgrade or Osrams Xenon 5000K 55watt bulbs and 55watt ballasts.

You will do - 6000K is practically beyond the range of the human eye, which evolved for sunlight!

Look, we've all (I've...) fallen for the utter bollocks that all the discharge-lamp & snake-oil peddlers put on their webshites, but 4300K gives the best light, which is why OEMs use them.

I've experience in both the 'Lude & NSX with both and rapidly bought 4300Ks for them.

It's like all the alloy wheel websites constantly advising offsets obsessed with the wheelarch flare and not the steering king pin axis; it's just wrong.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Philips Ultinons.    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-30-2015 21:17
What was wrong with the OEM lights?

The lights in our TSX Wagons were actually very nice... white and bright.

If you're going to change, then might as well go Full Ming of Mars and get X-Ray lamps with the matching lead suit and X ray goggles.

You will be invisible to the cops.

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: Philips Ultinons.    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-30-2015 22:06
Yes both are installed in the pictures above and below. My passenger side headlight is new and super clear while my drivers is old, fogged a little and has a greenish yellow tint in it. Prior to the pictures that day after the install I used some toothpaste and elbow grease to clear them a bit to get me best results at seeing their brightness and color at night. I think the purple-ish tint is due to the angle of my camera. Plus one of the bulbs had the red crystals and the other had yellow, so one of my bulbs are a fake/ knock off thus one will be brighter, longer lasting, and change or not change color....

I'm not upset. I made a impulse-buy choice and listened to only one dudes opinion on the TSX Club Facebook page and made the purchase without researching much. Because I didn't know.

It's only $60. I'm not made out of money, and am not well off, or living 'comfortably' but it's only $60 and I rather not hassle with ebay on getting my money back, probably can't once they're installed anyway...

Once these go out or when I get comfortable with my money, I'll try and go back to Osrams and get the Cool Blue Intense 5000k CBI's. They're 5000K and 3400 lumens, so I'll be prettier and brighter than stock! :D

However, ebay says those CBI's aren't compatible with my TSX but I seen people on TSX Club use them but not post about any modifications?? I don't see why not.. they're 35w and D2S...

blackstripe77
Re: Philips Ultinons.    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-31-2015 01:08
Our city streets are really well lit, so you wouldn't actually need ANY headlights to see where you're going. That said, I've never been impressed by the output of the OEM HIDs. OEM LEDs seem to be the way forward. But maybe the CBIs will bring HIDs a step closer, anyways, in terms of both whiteness and brightness.

Not sure about eBay, but the compatibility reminders on Amazon are absolutely bollocks. 35w D2S will fit fine.

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: Philips Ultinons.    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-31-2015 11:38
blackstripe77 wrote:
Our city streets are really well lit, so you wouldn't actually need ANY headlights to see where you're going. That said, I've never been impressed by the output of the OEM HIDs. OEM LEDs seem to be the way forward. But maybe the CBIs will bring HIDs a step closer, anyways, in terms of both whiteness and brightness.

Not sure about eBay, but the compatibility reminders on Amazon are absolutely bollocks. 35w D2S will fit fine.

Yes, the city is fine until I get away from main streets and onto back roads and in deep neighborhoods without lamp post lighting every whatever feet. Also when on the interstate in some sections there are no lighting either.

Driving out into the country like I did the other night for the sake of pictures? Yeah I used my high beams all the way out there where before I could just use the stock low beams just fine.

Do they make LED bulbs for our D2S HID's? LED's use so much less power I can't see them being plug and play.

chhan02
Profile for chhan02
Re: Philips Ultinons.    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-31-2015 16:22
I'd avoid any aftermarket LED headlights (for now). It does need a ballast. And most of them have the diode on the side so the light isn't as focused.

I noticed you don't have fogs either. They can help a ton on those country back roads.
Also, you can try adjusting the headlights up.

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: Philips Ultinons.    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-31-2015 18:37
Yeah I wouldn't mind getting fogs. Just thinking about having to run wires and get the parts... plus I don't care much for the OEM fogs look with the 04-05 bumper. I'd rather save up and get a Modulo Lightening front bumper

and the 06+ side skirts and rear bumper with the 06+ Euro R rear lip with S2000 exhaust tips on dual Si Mufflers.

Perfect set up and stance/ lowered height and wheel choice mmmmmm

So many things I want done to this car and just no money lol

blackstripe77
Re: Philips Ultinons.    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-01-2015 01:36
LEDs look bright when you're looking at them, but they have a very short throw, OEM LEDs excluded. And again, you run into heat and reliability issues.

I have factory 35w fogs. I just swapped some PIAA Plasma Ion Yellows in - even though they run much brighter, they really only light up the patch of pavement between your bumper and the where your HID low beams begin - most of which is hidden from your sight behind the dash and hood. Really doesn't make that much of a difference. Even on the twisty bits, the projectors are more than wide enough - at any sort of speed you're going to be looking further down the road than the fogs will allow you, even if they do project further out to the sides. The PIAAs also run pretty hot - though I've never checked how hot the OEM bulbs ran, so I can't really say if this is unusual or not. They seem to be decent bulbs from a well known manufacturer running at the right wattage, so I trust they won't melt themselves into the housings.

Focus on getting some decent bulbs for your projectors (and report back with your results!) since you are chasing low beam performance. I'm always tempted by the mod bug, but always good to remember that manufacturers have put more time and money into research than you have, and that their choices of what parts to use probable better reflect a better balance of performance, reliability and cost, as well as balancing the compatibility of related components.

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: Philips Ultinons.    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-03-2015 21:56
I'm still getting used to the fake Phillips. One headlight indeed has a more purple tint to it than the other. No big deal. I don't drive much at night and they're better than Halogens.
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Philips Ultinons.    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-04-2015 06:46
blackstripe77 wrote:
LEDs look bright when you're looking at them, but they have a very short throw, OEM LEDs excluded. And again, you run into heat and reliability issues.

I have factory 35w fogs. I just swapped some PIAA Plasma Ion Yellows in - even though they run much brighter, they really only light up the patch of pavement between your bumper and the where your HID low beams begin - most of which is hidden from your sight behind the dash and hood. Really doesn't make that much of a difference. Even on the twisty bits, the projectors are more than wide enough - at any sort of speed you're going to be looking further down the road than the fogs will allow you, even if they do project further out to the sides. The PIAAs also run pretty hot - though I've never checked how hot the OEM bulbs ran, so I can't really say if this is unusual or not. They seem to be decent bulbs from a well known manufacturer running at the right wattage, so I trust they won't melt themselves into the housings.

Focus on getting some decent bulbs for your projectors (and report back with your results!) since you are chasing low beam performance. I'm always tempted by the mod bug, but always good to remember that manufacturers have put more time and money into research than you have, and that their choices of what parts to use probable better reflect a better balance of performance, reliability and cost, as well as balancing the compatibility of related components.

I had some huge JDM fogs lights on my 'Lude, which you really could use as a short range headlamp. They were great, since the projectors I had fitted couldn't see round corners like the AFS on the Leg End.

But these tiny round fogs on modern Hondas do very little at all.

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: Philips Ultinons.    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-11-2015 12:55
At least my cut offs are very very pretty! :D

Pic taken about 30 feet away.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0