[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
More.......................
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
American Honda Reports July Sales Results
Official statement from Honda concerning flooding of Celaya factory
News from the dealer side: 2019 HR-V, Fit, and Insight production impacted due to flooding in Celaya
2019 Honda HR-V updated with styling tweaks, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, and available Honda Sensing
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Alaska Airlines plane hijacked
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Local dealer has a bunch of new 17 Accord Tourings in front of building.
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Navigation and Subtle Aromatherapy
Join Discussion......
Clarity --> Re: Clarity PHEV Owner
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: European HRV with 1.5 L VTEC Turbo engine coming Spring 2019
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: "Moose Test". Nissan Kicks fail
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Re:Honda Debuts 2019 Civic Sport in Sedan and Coupe Form
Join Discussion......
Pilot --> Re: Passport spy pics
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: H2 for All... again at last!
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: No more 3rd gen FC Clarity, Hello 2020 4th gen
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Red Bull Ring Round 11 MotoGP (spoiler)
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: The new and used Jeeps are moving off the lot in New Jersey
Join Discussion......
Accord --> How about Android car radio?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2 of 5 top tradeins on Tesla 3 are Hondas
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: 2016 Camaro Styling Trends

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author
  Post New Thread
CB77
Profile for CB77
2016 Camaro Styling Trends    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-16-2015 17:12
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply

Some pics of the just-announced 2016 Camaro. Yes, I know this is a Honda site...but I think it is interesting to see the styling evolution of this car, which I think is headed in a rather unfortunate direction. It gets the squinty snake-eyes headlights, like the new Mustang got. I know this is becoming a popular styling element...but I have never liked it. Not crazy about the gaping, large grille, either.

To me they are watering-down the "Camaro-ness" of this car, which was a big part of its strong appeal...and the further they get away from the styling cues of the original Camaro, the less I like it. It is melting into a "me-too" look, like so many cars are falling victim to, including many Hondas. Engine wise, it does get a new 2.0 4-cyl Turbo.

longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: 2016 Camaro Styling Trends    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-16-2015 19:00
http://finance.yahoo.com/video/chevy-camaro-test-drive-123400700.html

Go 1:31 in the video and hear the exhaust, and it's a v-6...........nice.

This is why the Toyubaru languages. Why buy a copycat when you can get the original. Same goes for the Hyundai Genesis coupe.

Like the styling like the interior, just disappointed it only loss 200 pounds in weight.

longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: 2016 Camaro Styling Trends    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-16-2015 19:05
http://www.chevrolet.com/2016-camaro/
PoweredbyHondaX
Profile for PoweredbyHondaX
Re: 2016 Camaro Styling Trends    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-16-2015 19:11
like the RED SS grill. much less wide and more tall cut out on the bottom.

Interior seems like 10000x better from pics. Love the Manual. Seems like a great american muscle car!

mark0006
Profile for mark0006
Re: 2016 Camaro Styling Trends    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-16-2015 19:40
Here are some more live pictures and videos.

25 pictures and video in the gallery

Torino R72P
Profile for Torino R72P
Re: 2016 Camaro Styling Trends    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-16-2015 19:52
Not as big a fan of it as I am the new Mustang, but it's a marked improvement. It's striking how one can't pinpoint the details that make the new car look better, yet it's impossible to ignore how much better it looks. The interior is a great improvement, I'd actually think about keeping one now if someone gave it to me.
NorCalSales
Profile for NorCalSales
Re: 2016 Camaro Styling Trends    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-16-2015 20:30
I had a Camaro with the 6.2 for a couple weeks, complete and utter piece of shit surrounding a glorious motor.

This one looks to be more of the same.

HondaForever
Profile for HondaForever
Re: 2016 Camaro Styling Trends    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-16-2015 21:03
NorCalSales wrote:
I had a Camaro with the 6.2 for a couple weeks, complete and utter piece of shit surrounding a glorious motor.

My very first new car was a 69 Camaro, orange with white landau top (remember those?), white interior and white stripes on the sides. Loved it. My experience with it led me to believe that replacing mufflers and shocks every 50k miles was the price you paid for owning any car until I bought an 85 Accord and have been nowhere near a Chevy dealership since. Sorry, TorinoR72P, if somebody gave me one, I'll drive straight to my Honda dealership and trade it in for an Accord Touring :-(

CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Re: 2016 Camaro Styling Trends    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-16-2015 21:18
I actuay think this looks better vs the current car. It's much less cartoonish, smaller, lighter and the design seems to be more cohesive and detailed. Not my type of vehicle but I respect it for what it is.
Fan Koni
Profile for Fan Koni
Re: 2016 Camaro Styling Trends    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-16-2015 22:49
I wonder if it's going to be exported like the new mustang, smaller engines and refined styling would suggest that.

In that case the push for small roadsters by the Japanese makes a lot more sense.
Competition in NA was always tough so if Chevy and Ford ride on the brand heritage to market globally, Toyota or Honda products in that field wouldn't standup well.

longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: 2016 Camaro Styling Trends    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-16-2015 23:12
Just read the turbo 4 cyl base will be 300 pounds lighter than last gen base and 0-60 in the 5s. 18 inches standard. Just about everything you can get on the 6.2 model you can get on the base except the magneto suspension.
outersquare
Profile for outersquare
Re: 2016 Camaro Styling Trends    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2015 01:09
Not gonna lie, I am a sucker for a nice header. The upcoming CTR and s2000 do sound good but they are still another year or two off.

http://wot.motortrend.com/1503_2016_chevrolet_camaro_recieves_lt1_power.html

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: 2016 Camaro Styling Trends    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2015 04:25
The Camaro cockpit is like driving around in a bunker.
iutodd
Profile for iutodd
Re: 2016 Camaro Styling Trends    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2015 11:15
I don't like the headlights. What Ford did with the Mustang's headlights actually works for me and keeps the retro vibe going. The LED DRLs or whatever they are that run underneath the main headlight are too modern and don't work for me - I find it interesting that Ford has added more retro touches to the 2016 Mustang and it seems like Chevy is going more modern with the Camaro. We'll see which one works.
RMTRADER
Profile for RMTRADER
Re: 2016 Camaro Styling Trends    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2015 11:21
NorCalSales wrote:

I drove one on a track a while back. POS? Hardly.

A.W.E.S.O.M. - O
Profile for A.W.E.S.O.M. - O
Re: 2016 Camaro Styling Trends    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2015 11:27
Ugh ... the front is a Charlie Foxtrot -- just like the new Mustang. Only the Challenger got the front right in their latest iterations.

The designers -- and the management team that greenlighted it -- just don't get it. You've got a winner, just be it's caretaker like Porsche does with the 911. No one gives a 'f' what a particular designer's personal "interpretation" is of the Camaro spirit. It looks like shite.

CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: 2016 Camaro Styling Trends    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2015 12:53
CB77 wrote:

I think it is interesting to see the styling evolution of this car, which I think is headed in a rather unfortunate direction. It gets the squinty snake-eyes headlights, like the new Mustang got. I know this is becoming a popular styling element...but I have never liked it.

To me they are watering-down the "Camaro-ness" of this car, which was always a big part of its strong appeal...and the further they get away from the styling cues of the original Camaro, the less I like it. It is melting into a "me-too" look, like so many cars are falling victim to, including many Hondas.

I think maybe what we are seeing here is a generational thing. Since I am in my 60s, I can well-remember the original Camaro and Mustang...and I think that is why I like the revival of these cars, that happened just a few years ago. Those cars both were very true to the styling elements of those '60s-era cars. But then, as often happens, a maker feels the need to "freshen" the styling of these revivalist cars. I think that is a mistake...they should remain true to the styling of the original cars for as long as they possibly can. Someone else here mentioned the snail-like pace of the evolution of the styling of the 911 Porsche...a good example of what I am advocating.

A good example of the importance of remaining true to the original car, is by comparing the spectacular failure of Ford's attempt to resurrect the T-Bird, vs the big success of the resurrected Mustang. It makes you wonder what would have happened to that new T-Bird if it had been more true to the '56 - '57 T-Bird styling. (Although with current Federally mandated safety standards, that may have been impossible.) I think it would have been a much happier outcome for Ford.

However, I think the younger drivers and the younger frequenters of this site are largely OK with these new styling changes...they do not have the emotional attachment to these cars that I (and other people in my age group) do.

And this is probably a smart decision by the makers of the Camaro and Mustang. I am not going to buy one of these cars, so they don't need to cater to me...but those in their 20s to 50s probably are more likely to buy one.

But seeing one of these cars on the freeway always gives me a warm feeling. Nice to see something with a little character that doesn't look like a melting bar of soap.

EXV6
Profile for EXV6
Re: 2016 Camaro Styling Trends    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2015 13:57
It's a good evolutionary design. Not a fan of the current "gaping grill" trend but at least it doesn't look hideous like a Toyota or Lexus. Kinda thought they would improve visibility a bit but it doesn't appear so. Not a huge issue if you set the mirrors right. My first new car was a '75 Camaro, a gorgeous car in light blue, white vinyl interior, rally wheels, whitewalls, and a 350 cid/5.7L 4bbl V8 that was, unfortunately, hampered by CA emissions equipment. Quality-wise, it was a rattling POS. Constant electrical & cooling system issues from day one. Never trusted it enough to take it on a long trip. But it looked terrific. I dumped it for a Honda Civic GL 5MT coupe in 1981, followed by an Acura Legend 5MT sedan in 1987 and an Accord EXV6 coupe in 2002, which I am still driving today. No more GM junk for me.

NorCalSales
Profile for NorCalSales
Re: 2016 Camaro Styling Trends    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2015 15:02
RMTRADER wrote:
NorCalSales wrote:

Seats worse than an Si, huge expanses of cheap plastics and crap materials that feel like they are strait out of a Cobalt, shoddy fit and finish and like mentioned above it is like driving in a bunker.

By day 5 I was ready to give it back, there is a massive difference between driving something on a track and driving something daily. I admit I sold it short in my earlier response, the entire drivetrain is glorious, not just the motor. That said there is too much in it's class that is great to drive that doesn't cut massive corners with garbage materials or make you feel like you need to hoist a damn periscope to see around you.

I drove one on a track a while back. POS? Hardly.

NorCalSales
Profile for NorCalSales
Re: 2016 Camaro Styling Trends    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2015 16:53
Err my reply disappeared...

basically driving a car daily and on the track are entirely different things. Shoddy fit and finish, materials that should only be in a cobalt or a worktruck and the sensation of "driving in a bunker" are not overcome by a glorious powertrain... when there is no reason to sacrifice anything at this pricepoint why would you? There is a reason they depreciate like a stone.

NorCalSales
Profile for NorCalSales
Re: 2016 Camaro Styling Trends    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2015 16:55
Err nm, I need to post less at work, I screw stuff up
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: 2016 Camaro Styling Trends    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2015 17:42
RMTRADER's post that you quoted, disappeared too.

Jesse
Profile for Jesse
Re: 2016 Camaro Styling Trends    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-18-2015 06:44
I agree with CB77, overall it looks more generic and less exotic. I hate the huge lower bumper grille. And I agree, I hate this styling direction which many automobile companies are heading.

Previous-gen is still better:

rev2damoon
Profile for rev2damoon
Re: 2016 Camaro Styling Trends    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-18-2015 08:51
I think they did a very good job evolving the styling of the current Camaro here. It's retro, yet has the modern styling trends. It strikes an acceptable balance in my opinion. Yup, I'd take one in white, but think I still prefer the new Mustang.
CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: 2016 Camaro Styling Trends    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-18-2015 08:59

++1. Your license plate says it all...

longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: 2016 Camaro Styling Trends    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-18-2015 09:20
Design analysis-

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/columns/1507-2016-chevrolet-camaro-design-analysis/

Autoblog Prototype drive

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/05/17/2016-chevrolet-camaro-prototype-first-drive/

300 weight loss with the V-6.

PoweredbyHondaX
Profile for PoweredbyHondaX
Re: 2016 Camaro Styling Trends    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-18-2015 09:21
the fender flares on the old one look so cheap now... after seeing the super clean fenders of the new one. Seeing the yellow one just put it into perspective. What a clean evolution. Hats off to gM. they kept the camaro a classic style but cleaned it up nicely and the interior looks like its a whole different league.
CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: 2016 Camaro Styling Trends    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-18-2015 09:49
If it A) doesn't drive like a truck and B) allows you to actually see out the windows, then that's a notable improvement. All of the Muscle cars look cartoony in some respect, but that's almost a basic requirement at this point.

Will it beat Mustang sales? I'm not sure. Mustang sales have been on fire since the new gen version came out.

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: 2016 Camaro Styling Trends    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-18-2015 09:52
My first reaction to see the blue car at the top was that I was looking at some sort of angular, Chrysler 200 coupe, though the gray car in rear 3/4 looks pretty good. The interior looks to share some ideas with recent KIA sporty concepts.

I always thought the last generation was a bit crude and lacking much finesse or detailing - but maybe that was the thing - and it seemed more of a caricature than genuine. With all the time off the car took (compared to the ongoing Mustang) I think they came in too hard and thus too blunt.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: 2016 Camaro Styling Trends    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-18-2015 10:44
CarPhreakD wrote:
Will it beat Mustang sales?

Not a chance.

Thread Page - [1] 2
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0