[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Is Acura going to reveal a new Legend at Pebble Beach this year?
More.......................
Honda reports February Sales
Honda revealing production RWD prototype of Urban EV Concept at the Geneva International Motorshow
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
General Talk --> Re: Honda / Acura Shakeup?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: I chose the Si over the GTI
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Car and Driver's new site.
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Desmond Regamaster Installed!
Join Discussion......
Hot Deals --> Re: K-Tuner For Sale!!!
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: Vigor @ NCCAR Apexfest
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Accord-based CT5?!
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2024 Honda Le Mans Racecar.
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: IMSA - 2019 Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> 2020 Ridgeline
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> 2020 Ridgeline
Join Discussion......
Passport --> Re: Built an Elite.
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Professional Motorsports > > Re: Indycar at Barber

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
Chris David
Profile for Chris David
Indycar at Barber    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2015 17:48
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Wow that was a good race. Great finish with Rahal charging to the front. Nice to see Honda competitive.

Colin
Profile for Colin
Re: Indycar at Barber    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2015 19:16
I'm sure someone will chime in to say how poorly they did despite the finish results, but IMO, tire management and fuel economy are part of the strategy game in Indycar. It was great to see an American finish first, it's good for the series. I watched Rahal through the lower series' and thought he'd do more by this stage in his career. Certainly more than 1 win on his resume. I saw a fire in his drive that I haven't seen in a long time. Maybe future father-in-law is giving him some coaching?

I loved, LOVED the segment with Montoya interviewing Castroneves, "did they not tell you or did YOU not save enough?" Power's comment on the radio when told about the drive through penalty was classic, "for what?" The only think typical was his response. Overall, it was an entertaining race.

Bullwinkle
Profile for Bullwinkle
Re: Indycar at Barber    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2015 23:47
Colin wrote:
I'm sure someone will chime in to say how poorly they did despite the finish results, but IMO, tire management and fuel economy are part of the strategy game in Indycar. It was great to see an American finish first, it's good for the series. I watched Rahal through the lower series' and thought he'd do more by this stage in his career. Certainly more than 1 win on his resume. I saw a fire in his drive that I haven't seen in a long time. Maybe future father-in-law is giving him some coaching?

I loved, LOVED the segment with Montoya interviewing Castroneves, "did they not tell you or did YOU not save enough?" Power's comment on the radio when told about the drive through penalty was classic, "for what?" The only think typical was his response. Overall, it was an entertaining race.

The fact that Rahal and RHR ended up in the top five is down to luck. Specifically the way the yellows fell. More telling is qualifying, where Honda is still out to lunch.

Chris David
Profile for Chris David
Re: Indycar at Barber    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2015 08:09
Did you guys watch the race? The Honda's had real pace. Rahal didn't just happened to get lucky with strategy, as Hinch did at Nola, he was storming through the field at the end.

Indycar does a nice job of publishing data. Take a look at you'll see that top four lap time all belong to Hondas:

http://www.indycar.com/Stats

Chris David
Profile for Chris David
Re: Indycar at Barber    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2015 08:14
Colin wrote:

Power's comment on the radio when told about the drive through penalty was classic, "for what?" The only think typical was his response.

I also thought the radio call was douchey, but when he saw the video in the post race interview he owned up to it being his mistake.

On a side note: I thought Diffy and Matchett were a great addition. Hope they make them a permanent part of the broadcast but I think it's unlikely as Indy seems intent on going after the NASCAR crowd (maybe Larry the cable guy will call the 500).

Bullwinkle
Profile for Bullwinkle
Re: Indycar at Barber    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2015 10:03
Chris David wrote:
Did you guys watch the race? The Honda's had real pace. Rahal didn't just happened to get lucky with strategy, as Hinch did at Nola, he was storming through the field at the end.

Indycar does a nice job of publishing data. Take a look at you'll see that top four lap time all belong to Hondas:

http://www.indycar.com/Stats

I am working on a blog post for later today, but the race stats can be deceiving.

First off, if Power doesn't take out Sato when he did, Rahal finishes no better than 5th. Probably down around 7th. RHR would be 10th or worse. Everyone who pitted after lap 20 was screwed. Most of the Honda's were playing for a yellow like that.

If you look at the fast lap chart for the race (which looks good for Honda) you see the effects of two things:

1) Honda gets better mileage than Chevy does, so there are many fewer laps in fuel save mode, which can add a second a lap or more.

2) This is the first time this season a race has been run above 80 degrees F. At that temperature, the Chevy's were tearing up their rear tires. The Honda's were easier on their tires because they don't have as much downforce to begin with. Dixon's post race interview is revealing on the topic. And many of the Chevy guys were complaining about it as soon as the first or second lap. Newgarden was more trimmed out than most of the other Chevy's. So his rears lasted.

Bullwinkle
Profile for Bullwinkle
Re: Indycar at Barber    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2015 10:07
Chris David wrote:
Colin wrote:

Power's comment on the radio when told about the drive through penalty was classic, "for what?" The only think typical was his response.

I also thought the radio call was douchey, but when he saw the video in the post race interview he owned up to it being his mistake.

On a side note: I thought Diffy and Matchett were a great addition. Hope they make them a permanent part of the broadcast but I think it's unlikely as Indy seems intent on going after the NASCAR crowd (maybe Larry the cable guy will call the 500).

To be fair to Power, Sato was totally in his blind spot, so he never saw him, until someone showed him the video after the race, when he did apologize immediately. He probably thought Sato dive bombed him, which would not be out of character for Sato.

That said, someone from his pit should have warned him, and he should have looked.

Colin
Profile for Colin
Re: Indycar at Barber    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2015 20:02
Chris David wrote:
Colin wrote:

I agree, I love Matchett in the booth, much better than Tracy (as much as I like the guy). The coverage by NBC is far superior to that of ABC and Cheever and "what we call" Goodyear.

Bullwinkle
Profile for Bullwinkle
Re: Indycar at Barber    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-28-2015 09:58
Indycar rearview mirror post on Motorsports.vtec.net, where we learn that the Chevy aerokit is not invincible and gives new meaning to the term "Blowing Chunks"

http://motorsports.vtec.net/blog/68/indycar-rearview-mirror-honda-indy-alabama/#.VT-Ra6YY_sI

Memo60
Profile for Memo60
Re: Indycar at Barber    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-28-2015 18:35
Very good article, hopefully is a good sign that there are going in the right direction.
Colin
Profile for Colin
Re: Indycar at Barber    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-28-2015 19:40
Bullwinkle wrote:
Indycar rearview mirror post on Motorsports.vtec.net, where we learn that the Chevy aerokit is not invincible and gives new meaning to the term "Blowing Chunks"

http://motorsports.vtec.net/blog/68/indycar-rearview-mirror-honda-indy-alabama/#.VT-Ra6YY_sI

Thanks for the writeup. I wonder if you know what was illegal with the Chevy 'rabbit ear' front wing and how they got it approved only to have them ruled illegal later? Assuming they lost some front downforce, did this cause an imbalance and thus too much rear downforce?

Bullwinkle
Profile for Bullwinkle
Re: Indycar at Barber    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-29-2015 09:40
Colin wrote:
Bullwinkle wrote:

Thanks for the writeup. I wonder if you know what was illegal with the Chevy 'rabbit ear' front wing and how they got it approved only to have them ruled illegal later? Assuming they lost some front downforce, did this cause an imbalance and thus too much rear downforce?

The Bunny Ears were not ruled "illegal" as much as they were ruled to be unsafe. They were very fragile. As I recall a mechanic broke one off while moving a wing around the garage.

Similarly, Honda had to change the mounting on the "bumpers" behind the back wheel so that they are less likely to break off when contacted from behind.

Both of these got approved (in my opinion) because Indycar did not really look at them from the point of view of fragility. Also, the Indycar rules for aerokits were silly. You know from the beginning that both manufacturers are going to add structures to make more downforce. If you want those structures to be sturdy, you should have mandated a minimum weight increase of the car. What they have now is more structures of the same overall mass, so of course they are all going to be more fragile (thinner, etc).

Colin
Profile for Colin
Re: Indycar at Barber    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-30-2015 17:48
^^ Thanks!

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0