[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Is Acura going to reveal a new Legend at Pebble Beach this year?
More.......................
Honda reports February Sales
Honda revealing production RWD prototype of Urban EV Concept at the Geneva International Motorshow
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Today's Reading Links --> Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: I chose the Si over the GTI
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda / Acura Shakeup?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Hyundai i30 Fastback N (2019)
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Car and Driver's new site.
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: 2020 Ridgeline
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Desmond Regamaster Installed!
Join Discussion......
Hot Deals --> Re: K-Tuner For Sale!!!
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: Vigor @ NCCAR Apexfest
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Accord-based CT5?!
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2024 Honda Le Mans Racecar.
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: IMSA - 2019 Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> 2020 Ridgeline
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Professional Motorsports > > Re: F1 Chinese GP - The Empire Strikes Back

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
Grace141
Profile for Grace141
F1 Chinese GP - The Empire Strikes Back    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-12-2015 13:40
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Very solid performance by Mercedes plus a strong performance from Ferrari.

Discussion on TOV Motorsports:

http://motorsports.vtec.net/blog/56/f1-2015-chinese-grand-prix/#.VSqsOE10zIV

Best radio comment of day would have to be be Kimi asking someone to get the McLaren out of his way.

IntegraDC5R
Profile for IntegraDC5R
Re: F1 Chinese GP - The Empire Strikes Back    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-12-2015 20:57
He followed that up with, "get these 2 cars out of the way." Speaking of the Lotus of Maldonado and the McLaren of JB after he got by Alonso.
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: F1 Chinese GP - The Empire Strikes Back    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-12-2015 21:48
Sounded to me like he was chuckling [as much as the ice man is capable of chuckling] when he mentioned the McHonda.

And I'm not convinced of all the talk of the McLaren being a really good chassis! If the Red Bull can go sailing past on the outside of a long bend, well I'm worried .........

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: F1 Chinese GP - The Empire Strikes Back    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-12-2015 22:07
sadlerau wrote:
Sounded to me like he was chuckling [as much as the ice man is capable of chuckling] when he mentioned the McHonda.

And I'm not convinced of all the talk of the McLaren being a really good chassis! If the Red Bull can go sailing past on the outside of a long bend, well I'm worried .........

Oh and Martin Brundle keeps mentioning the problem the Honda PU is having coming off the turns. It seems to cackle and fart on the over run, and then takes an eternity to clear up on the way out. Noticed it myself at Turn 1 in Melbourne, but he keeps mentioning it in the telecasts, so it must be an on-going issue. Worrying that they can't tune it out after 3 races??

HondaJet
Profile for HondaJet
Re: F1 Chinese GP - The Empire Strikes Back    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-12-2015 22:49
But McLaren Honda is better than Redbull, no? I mean, that Renault engine just blew into pieces. And the smoke. The car was the entertainment of the day in Shanghai, China. I mean, they got a standing ovation from the fans. Right in front of the main grandstand!!
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: F1 Chinese GP - The Empire Strikes Back    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-12-2015 23:04
HondaJet wrote:
But McLaren Honda is better than Redbull, no? I mean, that Renault engine just blew into pieces. And the smoke. The car was the entertainment of the day in Shanghai, China. I mean, they got a standing ovation from the fans. Right in front of the main grandstand!!

Yes I believe Red Bull are in deeper poo than McHonda, given this is their second year working with these PUs. But the Red Bull chassis would seem to be a better proposition than the under developed McLaren chassis at this stage of the game.

blackstripe77
Profile for blackstripe77
Re: F1 Chinese GP - The Empire Strikes Back    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-13-2015 00:50
Something Martin Brundle mentioned - how did they breeze past a non-crashing Pastor Maldonado who is running a Mercedes PU? Surely DRS isn't significant enough to make up for the supposed 150hp deficit of the McHonda.
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: F1 Chinese GP - The Empire Strikes Back    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-13-2015 00:58
blackstripe77 wrote:
Something Martin Brundle mentioned - how did they breeze past a non-crashing Pastor Maldonado who is running a Mercedes PU? Surely DRS isn't significant enough to make up for the supposed 150hp deficit of the McHonda.

Supposition is that Honda allowed full power for a short burst. I suppose they have to find the limits at some stage?

MarkR
Profile for MarkR
Re: F1 Chinese GP - The Empire Strikes Back    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-13-2015 02:23
A good improvement from McHonda I think. With a little luck they will grab a point during the next 2-3 races.
Y65P
Profile for Y65P
Re: F1 Chinese GP - The Empire Strikes Back    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-13-2015 07:49
HondaJet wrote:

That was Toro Rosso. Max Verstappen. Should McLaren have signed this kid?

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: F1 Chinese GP - The Empire Strikes Back    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-13-2015 08:26
Well Button certainly has had the better of Alonso, except for his Maldonado incident.

It looked like Mercedes played it safe. They did just enough to cover Ferrari even though it looked like they had quite a bit of pace left.

It was sad to see the race finish with the safety car. Raikkonen was on a tear towards the end, I thought he might have given Vettel a run on the last lap or two.

Chris David
Profile for Chris David
Re: F1 Chinese GP - The Empire Strikes Back    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-13-2015 08:58
blackstripe77 wrote:

Some interesting data here:

'http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/04/13/hamilton-was-quickest-in-china-when-he-needed-to-be/

Alonso's fastest lap time was a 1’43.728. Compared to Maldonado's fastest time of 1’43.686. Pretty close, though Alonso might get a few extra 10ths out of the car whereas Maldonado seems lucky to be able to keep the car on the track this season.

IntegraDC5R
Profile for IntegraDC5R
Re: F1 Chinese GP - The Empire Strikes Back    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-13-2015 19:30
And the wick will be turned up a bit in Bahrain. They mentioned they did run a bit more of an aggressive map in China and will do even more in Bahrain, but still not even close to 100%. So maybe they ran around 75% in China, will go up to 80% in Bahrain. Completely a guess on my part, but supposedly it was just 70% in DownUnder land, so maybe add on 5% to both above figures if they move at 5% power increase per race so far. Also said a new spec is coming for Barcelona.
revvin
Profile for revvin
Re: F1 Chinese GP - The Empire Strikes Back    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-13-2015 21:32
Man, the European leg can't come soon enough. Until we get that Barcelona update these races are hopelessly unwatchable.
Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: F1 Chinese GP - The Empire Strikes Back    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-13-2015 22:02
My request for M-H is if you're going to engage Sport+ mode for just a brief period of time during a race do it during Q1 and then the first 5 laps. Duking it out for P12 during lap 50 just doesn't say much for the power of dreams. At the very least get Alonso into 7th or 8th on the grid, let him make one of his Bonsai starts which no one understands how he pulls off, call him in for an early tire change, and only then instruct him to press the Econ button.

Yes, I'm thinking of Alonso leading a lap at Canada or Austin.

S600=Dream
Profile for S600=Dream
Re: F1 Chinese GP - The Empire Strikes Back    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-13-2015 22:45
I'm enjoying this slowly slowly approach, frankly.

There is steady, measurable progress at every race, and by the end of the season they're going to be bringing it. Best part? All the fair-weather fans who will inevitably suddenly start rooting for McHonda will get an earful from folks like us who have been in it to win it since the get-go!

Viva JB and Alonso!

HondaJet
Profile for HondaJet
Re: F1 Chinese GP - The Empire Strikes Back    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-13-2015 23:16
Y65P wrote:
HondaJet wrote:

That was Toro Rosso. Max Verstappen. Should McLaren have signed this kid?

Yes, I stand corrected. But boy oh boy, that kid is fast, Verstappen that is. I dunno, Alonso is quick and I like Jenson since he started with Honda. I'd like to see him grab a couple of wins to add that lone Honda-powered win a couple of years back.

HondaJet
Profile for HondaJet
Re: F1 Chinese GP - The Empire Strikes Back    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-13-2015 23:23
Grace141 wrote:
My request for M-H is if you're going to engage Sport+ mode for just a brief period of time during a race do it during Q1 and then the first 5 laps. Duking it out for P12 during lap 50 just doesn't say much for the power of dreams. At the very least get Alonso into 7th or 8th on the grid, let him make one of his Bonsai starts which no one understands how he pulls off, call him in for an early tire change, and only then instruct him to press the Econ button.

Sport+ and Econ button...

LOL!!! You just made my day. But, i totally get what you're sayin'.

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: F1 Chinese GP - The Empire Strikes Back    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-14-2015 08:03
Grace141 wrote:

Everyone else is running Sport+++++ in qualifying. Honda doesn't stand a chance at the moment.

revvin
Profile for revvin
Re: F1 Chinese GP - The Empire Strikes Back    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-14-2015 08:40
Dren wrote:
Grace141 wrote:

Everyone else is running Sport+++++ in qualifying. Honda doesn't stand a chance at the moment.

Actually, the competition have an R button.

Colin
Profile for Colin
Re: F1 Chinese GP - The Empire Strikes Back    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-16-2015 14:08
Grace141 wrote:
At the very least get Alonso into 7th or 8th on the grid, let him make one of his Bonsai starts ...

I had to chuckle... a Bonsai start would be very slow indeed! As slow as watching a tree grow. ;-)

Chris David
Profile for Chris David
Re: F1 Chinese GP - The Empire Strikes Back    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-16-2015 15:00
Colin wrote:
Grace141 wrote:
At the very least get Alonso into 7th or 8th on the grid, let him make one of his Bonsai starts ...

I had to chuckle... a Bonsai start would be very slow indeed! As slow as watching a tree grow. ;-)

I think you just discovered the problem:) Mclaren asked for an engine capable of making a "bonsai charge" through the field, rather than a banzai charge.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: F1 Chinese GP - The Empire Strikes Back    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-16-2015 19:20
Chris David wrote:
Colin wrote:
Grace141 wrote:

I think you just discovered the problem:) Mclaren asked for an engine capable of making a "bonsai charge" through the field, rather than a banzai charge.

Banzai it is, then. I think I need MS Cultural Reference-Check.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0