[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Is Acura going to reveal a new Legend at Pebble Beach this year?
More.......................
Honda reports February Sales
Honda revealing production RWD prototype of Urban EV Concept at the Geneva International Motorshow
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
General Talk --> Re: Honda / Acura Shakeup?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: I chose the Si over the GTI
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Car and Driver's new site.
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Desmond Regamaster Installed!
Join Discussion......
Hot Deals --> Re: K-Tuner For Sale!!!
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: Vigor @ NCCAR Apexfest
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Accord-based CT5?!
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2024 Honda Le Mans Racecar.
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: IMSA - 2019 Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> 2020 Ridgeline
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> 2020 Ridgeline
Join Discussion......
Passport --> Re: Built an Elite.
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Professional Motorsports > > Re: Dani Pedrosa to quit MotoGP?

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
KS34
Profile for KS34
Dani Pedrosa to quit MotoGP?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-30-2015 11:05
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Dani Pedrosa has revealed he has been battling arm-pump over the last year and will take time out to seek medical advice on the issue.

Repsol Honda’s Pedrosa, who finished the Commercial Bank Grand Prix of Qatar in 6th position, revealed he has been suffering from severe arm-pump for the last year. The condition has become that bad, that he has announced he will take some time off to seek medical advice on the best way to proceed. This has put the Spanish riders participation in the 2nd round of the MotoGP™ World Championship in doubt, as the Red Bull Grand Prix of the Americas takes place in just two weeks on 12 April.

Pedrosa revealed the issue to motogp.com after the Qatar race: “Well, it is kind of a long story, trying to be quick, basically in this race I had an arm pump issue, which has been there for a whole year. I started to have lots of problems here. Last year I struggled in every race, I couldn't really perform well and my results haven't been that good due to this fact. I have been trying all of this time to fix it and improve, but it wasn’t easy I couldn't really get any good answers. I went through one surgery but it wasn't successful. I tried not to talk about it in public, obviously this wasn't easy, but Honda always knew about it. This winter I was travelling all around the world trying to get different opinions from several doctors. Trying to know if I could have a new surgery in an effort to be ready for the Championship.”

“All of the doctors recommended not having surgery due to the risk, and I tried to follow this advice, and work a lot in a non aggressive way. This brings me back to today, where we had a bad situation, as I knew I wasn't feeling very well, but there was no other option for me. Now that the race is over and I can see that I cannot perform as I would like, I have to find a way to solve this problem. I cannot continue racing and performing this way, so my plan now is to try to fix my arm. I don't know exactly how I will do that, as I said the doctors are unsure, but I will try to get rid of this problem, and the team knows about it. I don't have too many answers at this moment, everything is quite uncertain, but I hope to have news soon.”

Honda: ‘We need to help Pedrosa’

With Dani Pedrosa not commenting further after revealing he needs to find an urgent fix for persistent arm pump issues, it was left to Repsol Honda MotoGP team manager Livio Suppo to answer questions from the media in the Qatar paddock.

After qualifying second on the grid for Sunday's season opener, ahead of team-mate and reigning double world champion Marc Marquez, Pedrosa slumped to sixth in the race as the arm pump problems came back to haunt him.

Arm pump, or compartmental syndrome, causes a lack of strength and feeling in the forearm and is common among motorcycle racers. Most undergo surgery to relieve the symptoms.

Worryingly, Pedrosa has already undergone two operations on his right forearm - most recently after Jerez last year - and doctors have warned that a third surgery could actually make things worse, presumably due to the amount of scar tissue in the arm.

Suppo began by stressing the disappointment Pedrosa is feeling at finding the problem is no better than last year - effectively wrecking his hopes of finally winning the MotoGP title after just one race.

“In this moment of course he is in a really bad mood, clearly,” Suppo said. “He was hoping that during this winter with no stress the arm was getting better. He realised at the first race it was exactly the same result as last year. In some races [last year] it was worse, in some races better.

“I can totally understand his feeling. At this moment what he knows is he doesn't want to race like this. So we will try again to see again if there is any other option. Last year here [the arm pump] was very bad and in Austin was not that bad. Probably depending on the circuit or circumstances.

“So we need to speak with the doctor. Doctor Mir already confirmed that to do another surgery on the same arm - he already had two surgeries - could be even worse. There is another [type of] surgery that Doctor Mir explained is very complicated, he never did and only one doctor in the world has done. But it is very invasive.

“So at this moment they are saying the best thing is for him to sleep on it and speak with the doctors again before Austin and see what is the best solution.

“When he does the test and the effort this problem doesn't come out. Only riding the bike for many laps. Also this is why it is so difficult for the doctors to understand if there is something they can do.”

With Pedrosa appearing unwilling to race until the arm pump situation can be improved, and doctors struggling to provide a solution, Suppo was asked if the problem could spell the end of Pedrosa's career.

“I don't know. I hope not of course... Dani with a problem is still a top rider. Last year he was anyway very strong, second in the championship for almost all season, even with the problem.

“I understand his feeling now. I mean at the beginning of the season you have the same problem. His target is to win the title and so I totally understand that at this moment he is really sorry. We need to help him.”

The Italian added: “Dani has been a Honda rider since the beginning of his career. And honestly, do you find somebody else that can do what Dani does even with one arm?

“I understand his point. Dani is a three-time world champion. He is always trying to win the [MotoGP] championship and is always a title contender. I understand that in his mind if you cannot do it, it is something difficult to accept.

“But again the priority is his physical condition and we will continue trying to find some solution. If not we will see.”

Suppo laughed off the suggestion that former Honda world champion Casey Stoner, recently confirmed as competing in the Suzuka 8 Hours, could take Pedrosa's place.

“Casey already said many times he will never come back to MotoGP. And anyway I believe we will find a solution [for Dani]. I'm optimistic.”

Round two of the world championship takes place in Austin, Texas in two weeks' time.

dampflok
Profile for dampflok
Re: Dani Pedrosa to quit MotoGP?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-30-2015 13:51
Ouch (literally). Hope it isn't over so soon for Pedrosa. And it's only one race, but worrying signs for Honda: finishing behind not only the factory Yamahas, but also the factory Ducks.

Jellybone
Profile for Jellybone
Re: Dani Pedrosa to quit MotoGP?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-30-2015 14:17
none of who he is talking today is inline with how he was talking before the race though....
in testing he was fast, in practice he was fast and he had been claiming to have trained harder than ever for this season, been in the best shape of his life and never felt better...
Race comes, he qualifies very well, has great pace on race distance practice and then when the flag drops he can't keep up to the top 4 and eventually gets passed by his teammate who was at the back of the field, then now starts complaining about pain..
I have no doubt he's feeling pain, but I think Dani's biggest problem is between the ears as he's simply never had the mental toughness, he's always been fast but when under pressure NEVER succeeds..
Who takes his spot now? typically test rider does, and their official test rider is Casey Stoner.. wow wouldn't that be something, started off to be the best season maybe ever already and bring him back would be stuff of legends..

Bullwinkle
Profile for Bullwinkle
Re: Dani Pedrosa to quit MotoGP?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-30-2015 14:35
Jellybone wrote:
in testing he was fast, in practice he was fast and he had been claiming to have trained harder than ever for this season, been in the best shape of his life and never felt better...
Race comes, he qualifies very well, has great pace on race distance practice and then when the flag drops he can't keep up to the top 4 and eventually gets passed by his teammate who was at the back of the field, then now starts complaining about pain..
I have no doubt he's feeling pain, but I think Dani's biggest problem is between the ears as he's simply never had the mental toughness, he's always been fast but when under pressure NEVER succeeds..
Who takes his spot now? typically test rider does, and their official test rider is Casey Stoner.. wow wouldn't that be something, started off to be the best season maybe ever already and bring him back would be stuff of legends..

That is being a little harsh. Something like Arm Pump may not be apparent until a race, because it is extended pressure on the arm that induces it.

It is interesting to wonder if something can be done to the bike to alleviate it?

As for a replacement, much more likely that Crutchlow steps in than Stoner. Then Crutchlow's teammate gets his bike and the LCR Open bike sits for a while.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0