[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Honda Fit Render
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Kandi EV Approved for US
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda's new sub-brand Honda e
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: My first helmet !
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Honda closing UK plant that builds the Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Original NSX prototype only had a SOHC V6 without VTEC
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Rumours that Honda will close its Swindon plant
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Sunny came home with a mission
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: First Shots of Production S660

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2 3
Author
  Post New Thread
MJASARO
Profile for MJASARO
First Shots of Production S660    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-25-2015 19:04
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1097430_2015-honda-s660-leaked
Chris David
Profile for Chris David
Re: First Shots of Production S660    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-25-2015 19:26
To paraphrase one of my favorite Tsuchiya quips: There are many way to design a sportscar.....and that is one example.
Maximania
Profile for Maximania
Re: First Shots of Production S660    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-25-2015 19:33
Is that a quip or a compliment?
Chris David
Profile for Chris David
Re: First Shots of Production S660    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-25-2015 19:40
Maximania wrote:
Is that a quip or a compliment?

It is certainly not a compliment. It was in reference to a very poorly done tuning job on a Honda fit IIRC. I can't find a link to the video.

Maximania
Profile for Maximania
Re: First Shots of Production S660    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-25-2015 21:34
Still a bit confused. Did you mean "There are many way to notdesign a sportscar.....and that is one example"?
Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: First Shots of Production S660    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-25-2015 21:52
I can't stand it. Over-styled, too small, odd mix of curves and angles..

And "There are many ways to design a sports car.....and that is one example" can be either NEGATIVE or POSITIVE based on context such as previous said comments (from the 'narrator') or from tone of voice.

Designing a Sports car ranges from ugly to beautiful. Saying "That's one example" of the many ways implies that it's simply up to the viewer/ reader to decide for themselves if it's good or bad unless you're given good context clues to determine if they meant it's good or bad.

TurkMan71
Profile for TurkMan71
Re: First Drive S660    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-25-2015 22:52

Can anyone translate?

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: First Drive S660    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-25-2015 23:00
TurkMan71 wrote:

Can anyone translate?

First of all, thanks for embedding that vid. Good stuff!

Secondly, I can't translate it for you, but in the mean time you can click the CC icon on the youtube player then click the gear icon to change the translated language to English (or whatever you prefer). It's not perfect but you can pick up a few key points here and there.

Last edited by JeffX on 03-25-2015 23:02
TurkMan71
Profile for TurkMan71
Re: First Drive S660    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-25-2015 23:14
Thanks for the translating tip, forgot youtube could do that...I may need to watch again after a bong hit just for the fun of it and maybe I'll understand it better :-)

About the video, just did a google search, and there it was, who'd of thunk?

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: First Drive S660    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-25-2015 23:23
TurkMan71 wrote:
Thanks for the translating tip, forgot youtube could do that...I may need to watch again after a bong hit just for the fun of it and maybe I'll understand it better :-)

About the video, just did a google search, and there it was, who'd of thunk?

yeah, after sitting through the entire video while reading the machine translation, I now see that the translated captions are largely nonsense, but maybe it can serve as a bit of entertainment.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: First Drive S660    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-25-2015 23:30
The S660 is a hodge podge of different angles and added on bits and pieces. Pretty much a mess.
blackstripe77
Profile for blackstripe77
Re: First Drive S660    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2015 00:39
Here's an English first drive article
http://www.motoring.com.au/reviews/2015/sports/honda/honda-s660-2015-review-50105

Midi_Amp
Profile for Midi_Amp
Re: First Drive S660    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2015 01:18
blackstripe77 wrote:
Here's an English first drive article
http://www.motoring.com.au/reviews/2015/sports/honda/honda-s660-2015-review-50105

Interesting quotes:

Wanting to highlight the sporty nature of the S660, Mukumoto and his team are offering buyers an optional active rear spoiler that raises automatically at 70km/h.

Much more interesting

As always, Honda’s responses about possible export versions remain cryptic to say the least. One engineer, who wished to remain anonymous, said: “Honda has created a compact sports car with an over-engineered chassis. This chassis could take a lot more power.

“We also have a 1.0-litre turbo that would fit into that engine bay. You can do the math.”

Another engineer also let on that the S660’s rear axle and tread can be widened by 30mm each side or 60mm in total to allow wider wheels and tyres to be fitted for more grip – to cater to a gutsier 1.0-litre powerplant.

SOLD! If I can't buy CR-Z for my retirement, the S660 will do. Thanks Honda.

Midi_Amp
Profile for Midi_Amp
Re: First Drive S660    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2015 01:28
JeffX wrote:
TurkMan71 wrote:

Can anyone translate?

Secondly, I can't translate it for you, but in the mean time you can click the CC icon on the youtube player then click the gear icon to change the translated language to English (or whatever you prefer). It's not perfect but you can pick up a few key points here and there.

Would be great if somebody can translate his points... The machine translation is just way too awful, all I can get from the reviewer is his body language like the way he's pointing the powered rear window so he can hear the engine sound (with plenty of smiles).

Google machine translation 2:48 : "by the way because there is Rupert Grin of hell"... I almost fell from my chair laughing.

That said, the engine note... Oh... my... dog... it's very nice.

FiSH-Chan
Profile for FiSH-Chan
Re: First Drive S660    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2015 01:34
Yeah that automatic spoiler look like a fun option... not sure if it is that useful. I'm also sure they can always make a 'manual' spoiler where you just reach behind and adjust manually since the car is so tiny.

Speakinf of small.. some quote for those talking about their fitment inside small cars in previus threads:

"This is like no kei-car we’ve ever driven before. It’s a blast to drive. And yes, this 189cm tall reporter can sit fully inside the cockpit and change gears without smashing knees on the steering wheel. Only just, mind you."

blackstripe77
Re: First Drive S660    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2015 03:02
I really liked this:

"According to Honda, more than 400 young engineers submitted ideas for new vehicles to company bosses, from minivans and crossovers to sports sedans and sports cars, and the S660 design came out on top.

In fact, contest winner Ryo Mukumoto says “the top three contenders were all 'kei' (meaning ‘mini’ in Japanese) sports cars.” And, as the victorious engineer who put the winning bid in, the 26-year-old has been given a rare honour for the company; he was appointed to the rank of S660 chief engineer, making him the youngest product head honcho in Honda history."

And the fact that this little turbo revs to 7800RPM.

It's good to see that Honda can still sometimes be engineering-led, especially when it's young, up and coming engineers. Hopefully this bodes well for future-Honda, future-Honda enthusiasts, and future car enthusiasts in general. Perhaps this is just the sort of thing needed to get car-apathetic young people back into the market.

blackstripe77
Re: First Drive S660    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2015 03:10
I really liked this:

"According to Honda, more than 400 young engineers submitted ideas for new vehicles to company bosses, from minivans and crossovers to sports sedans and sports cars, and the S660 design came out on top.

In fact, contest winner Ryo Mukumoto says “the top three contenders were all 'kei' (meaning ‘mini’ in Japanese) sports cars.” And, as the victorious engineer who put the winning bid in, the 26-year-old has been given a rare honour for the company; he was appointed to the rank of S660 chief engineer, making him the youngest product head honcho in Honda history."

And the fact that this little turbo revs to 7800RPM.

It's good to see that Honda can still sometimes be engineering-led, especially when it's young, up and coming engineers. Hopefully this bodes well for future-Honda, future-Honda enthusiasts, and future car enthusiasts in general. Perhaps this is just the sort of thing needed to get car-apathetic young people back into the market.

IntegraDC5R
Profile for IntegraDC5R
Re: First Drive S660    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2015 03:13
Thought that track looked familiar, Sodegaura Forest in Chiba. It's 2.4km in length (in the near future 3.2km) and sort of a fast course, if your car allows you to go fast. In my Fit before this full rebuild I could only reach up to about 160km/h coming down the straight after turn 2. My best lap is a 1:22.98. I wonder what kind of lap times they could extract from this thing.
KS34
Profile for KS34
Re: First Drive S660    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2015 05:29
The S660’s most outstanding features are its unique chassis, its screaming three-cylinder turbo engine and its bespoke six-speed manual gearbox. That’s right, Honda has developed a one-off chassis just for the S660, constructed out of a diecast aluminium frame and steel sub-frame that is more rigid than the discontinued S2000's.

KS34
Profile for KS34
Re: First Drive S660    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2015 05:33

KS34
Profile for KS34
Re: First Drive S660    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2015 05:36

KS34
Profile for KS34
Re: First Drive S660    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2015 05:38

KS34
Profile for KS34
Re: First Drive S660    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2015 05:41
Loads of live photos here.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: First Drive S660    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2015 07:02
JeffX wrote:
TurkMan71 wrote:

Can anyone translate?

Obi-wan Kenobi, that was hilarious!

I got more from the Kanji and the guy's intonations than that Airplane-style transration. Maybe I clicked 'transration into Yoda' by mistake.

What a lovely little toy car, though.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: First Shots of Production S660    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2015 07:06
Hondatalover wrote:

And "There are many ways to design a sports car.....and that is one example" can be either NEGATIVE or POSITIVE based on context such as previous said comments (from the 'narrator') or from tone of voice.

Designing a Sports car ranges from ugly to beautiful. Saying "That's one example" of the many ways implies that it's simply up to the viewer/ reader to decide for themselves if it's good or bad unless you're given good context clues to determine if they meant it's good or bad.

1. That's fighting talk - we await your photoshop in due course. Good luck with the Kei restrictions....

2. You lot are so bloody literal sometimes; if someone tells you to 'go fuck yourself', please don't immediately go off and try it. It probably won't work.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: First Drive S660    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2015 07:28
What a great review.

Massively strong sructure. I don't really like the hole in the centre tunnel for the handbrake (presumably) but they must've though of that.

That really is a Mini-NSX.

BG
Profile for BG
Re: First Shots of Production S660    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2015 07:34
Nick GravesX wrote:
Hondatalover wrote:

1. That's fighting talk - we await your photoshop in due course. Good luck with the Kei restrictions....

2. You lot are so bloody literal sometimes; if someone tells you to 'go fuck yourself', please don't immediately go off and try it. It probably won't work.

And many congrats to successful person who manages to.... I'll say no more :/

I like the s660, for what it's designed for and as Nick said, the limitations in place too, it's nice, now lets see the s1000

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: First Shots of Production S660    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2015 09:32
Looks like a fun little thing, though with some oddities here and there. Looking forward to the Mugen-spec versions.

GoFaster
Profile for GoFaster
Re: First Shots of Production S660    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2015 10:01
Reminds me of those kit cars where you could take a Pontiac Fiero and try to make it look like a Ferrari with a bunch of plastic bits.

Yikes, someone made a convertible out of a CR-Zzzzzzz.

blackstripe77
Re: First Shots of Production S660    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2015 10:23
Tires:

F: 165/55R15
R: 195/45R16

Mugen will probably debut front/rear bumper/aero kits, coilovers and an exhaust on the day the S660 is officially released (but possibly to be available some time afterwards, their normal practice). Wonder if this car will garner enough popularity for more aftermarket support. I expect to see at least an aftermarket hardtop... if not also other performance parts for the manual version.

Thread Page - [1] 2 3
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0