[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
General Talk --> Re: Said Goodbye to the MDX Today
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Will Honda join Aston Martin and Red Bull with Sports Cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Z6 head studs
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - Toro Rosso STR14 Pictures
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Honda Fit Render
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Facts about HMA - 60 years of AHM - 50 years of CB750
Join Discussion......
Audio & Electronics --> Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Kandi EV Approved for US
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: What's YOUR winning car buying strategy?

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
A.W.E.S.O.M. - O
Profile for A.W.E.S.O.M. - O
What's YOUR winning car buying strategy?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-23-2015 00:28
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I think there's plenty of awareness of various negotiating skills when it comes to the purchase price -- but what's your overall strategy when it comes to managing what's in your garage?

Example: My friend's dad always bought the moment the next year's car came out (fall). Paid cash and barely over cost. Then he drove it right up to the end of warranty (usually mileage ran out before the year's were up). Then it went straight to craigslist and sold as a private party. He'd then start the process all over again. His rationale: he liked new cars -- but didn't want to be exposed to any repair issues.

Some typical ones:
-- Buy new and keep till it dies
-- Buy new and sell the moment the warranty is up
-- Trade-in every year for the newer version
-- Buy used and get a service contract
-- Buy a $2,000 car that runs. Drive till it needs a repair. The moment it needs one sell and get another $2,000 car. Repeat.
-- Lease
-- Only buy MMCs
-- Pay Cash
-- Buy Certified Pre-Owned

Something else ??? So, what's your strategy?

CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Re: What's YOUR winning car buying strategy?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-23-2015 01:02
Sold my 03 Acura CL-S 6MT in 2011 (I purchased that car new) and bought a CPO 2008 Acura TL (lease turn in) w/18k. Great warranty and service. CPO lease turn ins makes complete sense as you don't have to worry about that huge depreciation hit, its a one owner car and all the maintenance records are available. Luxury for less in my eyes.

My current situation now is that Acura doesn't have another sedan I'm interested in and I'm tired of waiting. I'd REALLY like a Cadillac CTS V-Sport but they are too new to have any CPO's available. As of now I'm keeping my eyes out for a RWD CPO Lexus IS350 F-Sport.

NorCalSales
Profile for NorCalSales
Re: What's YOUR winning car buying strategy?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-23-2015 10:55
Kids are older so I dumped the 05 Pilot a few years back with just a smidge under 200k on it. I try to have a few options.

Beater pickup that makes maybe 6 trips a year, 84 Copper Nissan (by Datsun)

Slightly less beater car, currently an 01 Accord coupe EX

Fun ride... the one that has payments better be fun and since I work a dealership I can spin out of a car pretty easy when I get bored... I have ADD on this admittedly, it's been a Z71 Tahoe on 35's-->09 Si-->Speed3-->F250-->Slingshot.

I was convinced I'd be sick of the SS in a week, boy was I wrong.

A.W.E.S.O.M. - O
Re: What's YOUR winning car buying strategy?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-23-2015 12:57
NorCalSales wrote:
Kids are older so I dumped the 05 Pilot a few years back with just a smidge under 200k on it. I try to have a few options.

Fun ride... the one that has payments better be fun and since I work a dealership I can spin out of a car pretty easy when I get bored... I have ADD on this admittedly, it's been a Z71 Tahoe on 35's-->09 Si-->Speed3-->F250-->Slingshot.

An F250 to a Slingshot? That is an eclectic mix.

A.W.E.S.O.M. - O
Re: What's YOUR winning car buying strategy?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-23-2015 13:06
My strategy is usually two-pronged: (1) I like to have a bitchabout for garbage miles and (2) usually something else quite nice for obsessing over and for road trips.

My current garage:

-- 2007 Honda Element EX AWD 5MT [Tango Red Pearl]: just love this vehicle. So versatile, so H-O-N-D-A. It only has 16K miles on it. We take it to the beach and over the mountains, on occasion.

-- 2000 Buick LeSabre: Yes, this in my abuse car. I find GM cars can take massive amounts of abuse and are cheap to fix. In GM's mind this was an E-class fighter. It gets 30 mpgs highway, whisper quiet, roomy, and tank-like in the event of an accident. Easy to insure too.

I usually like to buy MMCs, but I have a feeling the '16 Civic will be special. If not, I'm going to spurge and get a '16 MMC Accord.

HH
Profile for HH
Re: What's YOUR winning car buying strategy?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-23-2015 17:53
I buy new, pay cash, and drive it for 10 years or more.

The best car ownership experiences I've ever had were with a Toyota Camry and a Honda Civic. They were as reliable as the sunset.

The most miserable car I've owned, and the one I didn't buy new: a Volkswagen Corrado G60. A totally irrational purchase that I lived to regret.

I generally avoid MMCs, simply because I don't like seeing a car's appearance changed for the sake of change.

NorCalSales
Profile for NorCalSales
Re: What's YOUR winning car buying strategy?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-23-2015 18:02
A.W.E.S.O.M. - O wrote:
NorCalSales wrote:

I got the truck thinking that a land deal I had in the works was going to go through, was looking to put 10 acres of Pinot in the ground but alas, didn't happen.

The Slingshot is nothing short of a blast to drive daily, we have the roads up here in Wine Country for it for sure. It's stupid quick in the twisties and other than a backup camera that broke on day 1 (and is on backorder forever)and the steering rack recall mine has been problem free.

Here's a shot with my neighbors Scorpion before we went out on a run...

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: What's YOUR winning car buying strategy?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-23-2015 18:14
Get your better half to work for the company whose cars you already drive.

Works out well for us. ;-)

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: What's YOUR winning car buying strategy?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-23-2015 20:32
NorCalSales wrote:
A.W.E.S.O.M. - O wrote:
NorCalSales wrote:

I got the truck thinking that a land deal I had in the works was going to go through, was looking to put 10 acres of Pinot in the ground but alas, didn't happen.

The Slingshot is nothing short of a blast to drive daily, we have the roads up here in Wine Country for it for sure. It's stupid quick in the twisties and other than a backup camera that broke on day 1 (and is on backorder forever)and the steering rack recall mine has been problem free.

Here's a shot with my neighbors Scorpion before we went out on a run...

Wow! I didn't even know Grinnall sold them over there!

I have no buying strategy per se - the S2000 and 86 were bought new, because they were what I wanted and there was no alternative.

When the exchange rate was right, we bought from Honda Belgium and imported the same day.

The Prelude, NSX and Leg End were bought used, for a fraction of their new prices, because Hondas don't hold their values over here - apart from the Jazz and I have zero interest in those. The Lude & KB1 were bought purely as experiments/beaters, but predictably, I found I grew to love them and now Honda is (realistically) no more, I'll have to move on some day.

The NSX is appreciating fast, but that's as much of a problem when driving it, as it is a bonus.

My next beater will probably be something mental, but I have no plans to part with the Leg End for a considerable while. Until someone actually builds a better car...

longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: What's YOUR winning car buying strategy?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-23-2015 20:34
NorCalSales is officially "Cool".......;)
ldvknight
Profile for ldvknight
Re: What's YOUR winning car buying strategy?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-23-2015 21:03
I shop around on the internet now for a no hassle deal. Usually requires some timing and maybe a few hour drive but it works for me. I typically compare the lowest prices on Autotrader for the exact model I want up to maybe a 100-200 mile radius. Some dealer always has a low price attention getter model.

For example, I got my 2014 Corolla LE ECO for $16,250 before tax. I believe they sticker for around $19,500. And Toyota had 0% APR going!

When I was looking for a 2015 Sienna XLE, I saw listings as low as $31,500 on a $37,000 van. I even saw one mistakenly listed at $26,500 on autotrader.

On the used market, on autotrader, we decided to go with a 2005 Honda odyssey EX-L with navi/dvd and 93,000 miles, single owner, 3 pages of carfax, for $12,500, while the dealer listed it on the lot for $13,900 and the guys waiting behind us to buy it were offering full price. I wanted to go lower, but the used fully loaded minivan market is smoking hot and these vans don't stay on the lot for longer than a week. But we did have to drive to Morgan hill from Sacramento. It was worth it!

BUT unfortunately HONDA does not list any sales price online. All of Honda are listed at MSRP, which I just don't believe they are worth it anymore when other such great deals are out there.

tennis32828
Profile for tennis32828
Re: What's YOUR winning car buying strategy?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-23-2015 21:29
Try buying during a downturn in the economy. I bought a new 09 RDX Tech for 31K in 2009 during the recession (MSRP was around $37K I think). I traded it in 2011 for $30K for a used bimmer. So I pretty much paid around $2K driving a new vehicle for 2 years because the resale value of a car is not affected by the economy.
NorCalSales
Profile for NorCalSales
Re: What's YOUR winning car buying strategy?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-23-2015 22:04
@Nick- That one was imported like 15 years ago and apparently is one of the oldest ones in the states, there are a whopping ~40 in Cali. I will say the Scorpion drives great, definitely not as beefy as my SS but at ~880# the thing is certainly a precision machine where mine is a little more rough and tumble as it were. To put it simply, on the pristine roads he can lose my ass in the sharpest corners but I can handle chop at much much higher rates of speed.

@longhorn- the damn thing is worth every penny, I have this big stupid grin plastered to my face every day. I thought it would be a weekender, turns out it's a daily and the Accord only comes out when it rains :D

iutodd
Profile for iutodd
Re: What's YOUR winning car buying strategy?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-23-2015 22:11
They had one at the Honda dealership I take my Fit too. It's a bit...insect-y for my tastes but I imagine it is way fun. I want a motorcycle but my wife is somewhat unenthusiastic about the idea.
Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: What's YOUR winning car buying strategy?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-24-2015 10:03
I'm similar. I buy what I want when I want them.

I bought an S2000 used (Honda didn't make them anymore) on my birthday. Found two in white with red interior that I wanted, dealt on both, paid cash for one and had it shipped.

I bought a CRX Si for cash, next to nothing. I wanted another one that had a manual, easy buy. Sold for cash on ebay. I really regret selling that one...

Paid cash for my 07 Civic Si. Test drove it, dealt on it, bought it. It seemed like a luxury car compared to my old CRXs. Drove it 5 years, sold it for cash.

The BRZ I ordered after seeing Nick's car, loved the look and color, was sold on an FRS test drive. Paid cash for invoice. It is what I wanted and nobody else (Honda???) really had anything interesting. I plan to keep it for a few more years at least until something new and interesting pops up.

A.W.E.S.O.M. - O
Re: What's YOUR winning car buying strategy?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-24-2015 18:27
Dren wrote:
I'm similar. I buy what I want when I want them.

I bought an S2000 used (Honda didn't make them anymore) on my birthday. Found two in white with red interior that I wanted, dealt on both, paid cash for one and had it shipped.

I bought a CRX Si for cash, next to nothing. I wanted another one that had a manual, easy buy. Sold for cash on ebay. I really regret selling that one...

Paid cash for my 07 Civic Si. Test drove it, dealt on it, bought it. It seemed like a luxury car compared to my old CRXs. Drove it 5 years, sold it for cash.

The BRZ I ordered after seeing Nick's car, loved the look and color, was sold on an FRS test drive. Paid cash for invoice. It is what I wanted and nobody else (Honda???) really had anything interesting. I plan to keep it for a few more years at least until something new and interesting pops up.

The Honey Badger strategy.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: What's YOUR winning car buying strategy?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-24-2015 18:44
tennis32828 wrote:
Try buying during a downturn in the economy. I bought a new 09 RDX Tech for 31K in 2009 during the recession (MSRP was around $37K I think). I traded it in 2011 for $30K for a used bimmer. So I pretty much paid around $2K driving a new vehicle for 2 years because the resale value of a car is not affected by the economy.

And now your Bimmer is worth like $15K...

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0