[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Is Acura going to reveal a new Legend at Pebble Beach this year?
More.......................
Honda reports February Sales
Honda revealing production RWD prototype of Urban EV Concept at the Geneva International Motorshow
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: Vigor @ NCCAR Apexfest
Join Discussion......
Repair and Maintenance --> cylinder #1 running rich.
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2024 Honda Le Mans Racecar.
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda / Acura Shakeup?
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: I chose the Si over the GTI
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Accord-based CT5?!
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: IMSA - 2019 Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: FRS/86/BRZ Recall
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Suzuki Grand Vitara experience?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: New Honda Envix
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Type S In New York?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: I found the answer for solving EUs horrible car lineup
Join Discussion......
Passport --> Re: Built an Elite.
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Next gen TLX spied...
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Professional Motorsports > > Re: Alonso pulls out of Australia opening

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 [2]
Author
  Post New Thread
Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: Alonso pulls out of Australia opening    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-06-2015 08:23
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Really? Button seemed faster to me. Bottas is who really surprised me last year.
gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Alonso pulls out of Australia opening    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-06-2015 08:59
Yeah I agree with Colin, MAG actually struck me as being faster (even though BUT was slightly faster) but he fell back during several races which hurt him in the points. He out-finished BUT 4 times but out-qualified him 9 times. Not bad for rookie on vet.
Restless
Profile for Restless
Re: Alonso pulls out of Australia opening    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-06-2015 12:41
gofast182 wrote:
Colin wrote:
gofast182 wrote:
I guess, but I don't think it would be a massive surprise for KM to do as well or better, he out qualified FA 7 times and out-finished him 4 times last year so it has to register as a possibility.
KM is so young, I think his racecraft will only improve with time. He seemed so much faster that Button last year but was handily beaten in points. Alonso brings a lot to the team, I think that he's ultimately faster than Button, and maybe in a year Alonso + KM would be a strong pairing?

My thoughts exactly. BUT is a great guy and a good driver but he has passed the peak of his F1 career. I do think McLaren is in the best position with drivers for 2015: to have a talent like ALO, a veteran like BUT, and a reserve driver as quick as MAG is a lineup no other team has. Now if only they had a reliable car to put them in...

Button is 35, Alonso will make 34... BOTH are veterans

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Alonso pulls out of Australia opening    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-06-2015 13:41
^ I am aware, just trying to assign each a different yet appropriate descriptor. ;-)
Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: Alonso pulls out of Australia opening    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-06-2015 14:12
gofast182 wrote:
Yeah I agree with Colin, MAG actually struck me as being faster (even though BUT was slightly faster) but he fell back during several races which hurt him in the points. He out-finished BUT 4 times but out-qualified him 9 times. Not bad for rookie on vet.

DNFs shouldn't count for the other person as a better finish ;)

Colin
Profile for Colin
Re: Alonso pulls out of Australia opening    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-06-2015 17:06
Dren wrote:
gofast182 wrote:

DNFs shouldn't count for the other person as a better finish ;)

I both agree and disagree at the same time. I think its worth the effort to analyze the reason for the DNF, but in the end, points are points. Remember Buttons first or second season with Mac? Wasn't that the one where he had a DNF at Monaco because the team left the plugs in the radiator during the warm up lap? Was that also the season where Vettel out braked himself and stuck his nose into Buttons radiator at Spa? Certainly DNFs not his fault, but points are points.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Alonso pulls out of Australia opening    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-06-2015 18:29
Dren wrote:
Really? Button seemed faster to me. Bottas is who really surprised me last year.

Same here on both counts.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Alonso pulls out of Australia opening    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-06-2015 18:34
gofast182 wrote:

Maybe we're just seeing a bit of maturity on Button's part paying off for him. I haven't seen any mention of the penalties KM received during the season.

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Alonso pulls out of Australia opening    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-07-2015 06:53
All comes with experience. BUT is one of the cleanest racers on the track, no doubt about it, but MAG showed he'll take some risks which is good, too, and, off the top of my head, I can recall one penalty on him that was not justified last year.

Bottas is a very talented driver and he's hungry. I think we'll see him win WDC as soon as he gets in a Mercedes or after another team can finally beat them on equal terms.

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: Alonso pulls out of Australia opening    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-07-2015 16:13
gofast182 wrote:
Bottas is a very talented driver and he's hungry. I think we'll see him win WDC as soon as he gets in a Mercedes or after another team can finally beat them on equal terms.

I also think Verstappen will surprise a lot of people this year. I think him and Bottas are the next two big names.

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Alonso pulls out of Australia opening    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-08-2015 04:26
Dren wrote:
gofast182 wrote:

I also think Verstappen will surprise a lot of people this year. I think him and Bottas are the next two big names.

Gee, what happened to Ricciardo? He beat Bottas in the lower formulea, and he's leading from the front in F1. I just hope Red Bull/Renault give him a worthwhile car this year.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Alonso pulls out of Australia opening    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-08-2015 08:34
sadlerau wrote:
Dren wrote:
gofast182 wrote:

Gee, what happened to Ricciardo? He beat Bottas in the lower formulea, and he's leading from the front in F1. I just hope Red Bull/Renault give him a worthwhile car this year.

Ricciardo worries me a bit. He certainly has the talent required to be a championship driver but he just takes incredible risks. I'm sure every F1 fan hopes he has a long and successful F1 career. He seems like such a great fellow.

sennaFAN
Profile for sennaFAN
Re: Alonso pulls out of Australia opening    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-08-2015 09:22
I'm not sure he does. His overtakes are very well planned and executed. The drivers that get into trouble eg the lotus pair, massa and sutil (previously) were ones who went for gaps that were never there or worse still went into the overtake tentatively leaving doubt in the other driver.
I really like DRs style. Very commited. And very few times have I heard the other drivers complain after races which is admirable

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Alonso pulls out of Australia opening    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-08-2015 11:56
You have it right sennaFAN, Daniel's overtaking was decisive and committed. And as you say, his moves while aggressive were never "rude", as evidenced by the great respect he has generated amongst his fellow drivers.

And best of all he is a thoroughly nice man, just like his father, and with any luck success will not spoil him!

sennaFAN
Profile for sennaFAN
Re: Alonso pulls out of Australia opening    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-08-2015 12:03
He does seem like a genuinely nice guys who has the respect of his fellow drivers, Vettel apart !
However his laid back persona hides a massively determined man.
I just hope the Red Bull gives him a chance to compete but I am guessing Ferrari and Mclaren are keeping tabs on him over the next few years.
Be good to see him do well on his home soil

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Alonso pulls out of Australia opening    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-08-2015 12:16
Hopefully Red Bull won't get him disqualified this year, and he can go one better than his finishing position from 2014. Amazing what a difference a year makes!
Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: Alonso pulls out of Australia opening    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-09-2015 07:39
sadlerau wrote:
Hopefully Red Bull won't get him disqualified this year, and he can go one better than his finishing position from 2014. Amazing what a difference a year makes!

Good point about Ricciardo. He has superb racecraft. His strategy last year allowed him to attach during his final stints, which made the ends exciting. I expect the same this year. He needs to improve his starts. If he could have opening laps like Alonso, I think we might see something special. He tends to lose a lot the first few laps in. Other than that, I really like the guy. He is always positive; has a smile a mile wide.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Alonso pulls out of Australia opening    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-09-2015 07:57
sadlerau wrote:

If I remember correctly Ricciardo's fuel usage rates weren't that far out of spec. The fuel usage rules now just seem a waste of time and a little dumb. It all made for an interesting statistic for one race and then everyone just forgot it, and it all violated the keep-it-simple rule.

Thread Page - 1 [2]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0