[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
American Honda Reports November Sales
More.......................
2019 Honda Passport Makes World Debut: Adventure-Ready All-New 5-passenger SUV at 2018 LA Auto Show
LIVE from Los Angeles: TOV's coverage of the 2019 Honda Passport reveal
First Look: DNA Collectibles releases Urban EV Concept 1:18 scale model
All-New 2019 Honda Passport Starts Adventure with Global Debut in Los Angeles
2019 CR-V goes on sale with few changes, nominal price increase
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
American Honda Reports October Sales
RDX --> Re: RDX anecdote
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - Modifications --> Re: Rear Door Hack
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> And you thought you were the intended beneficiary of the proposed lower gas mileage rules...
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Legend
Join Discussion......
Videos --> Re: The NSX replaces the ZR1
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Aston Martin Valkarie ICE (Cosworth Design)
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: TheStraightPipes youtube car channel reviews
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: " The Sedans are coming, the Sedans are coming! "
Join Discussion......
TSX --> Re: TSX+Conti Control Contact AS vs 9" snow
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Dispenser Issues and Infrared Interface
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: CR-V MMC guesses
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: "2019 Toyota Supra Is a BMW Parts Bin Car"
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: World Superbikes Ten Kate Team Bankrupt
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 22 mm Progressive Sway Bar on Civic Si
Join Discussion......
Videos --> Re: Vivid Racing Tune the NSX MkII
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Reasonable New Years Resolutions for Honda/Acura

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
iutodd
Profile for iutodd
Reasonable New Years Resolutions for Honda/Acura    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-08-2015 23:08
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I say reasonable. And can be accomplished and/or started within a year. It's not reasonable for Acura to redo the TLX as a RWD sedan this year for instance. It is somewhat reasonable for Acura to release a TLX coupe or a 6MT TLX. It is very reasonable for Honda to improve their quality at the factory level.

Also remember that you can't fix everything at once. Be specific!

Here are mine:

-All Acura's and Honda's have world-class brakes. I'm tired tired tired of reading that such and such a Honda's 70-0 braking distance was either mid-pack or the distance faded over time. This counts as reasonable because Honda has 3 FMCs this year: HR-V, Pilot, Civic and several MMCs: Accord, ILX, RDX, MDX. There is no reason this can't be achieved with these models. Spend the money and make it happen - customers will spend $400 more for brakes that are an inch bigger or whatever has to happen. And if the Civic can stop in 150 ft then the ILX should stop in 140. You had that Bruce Willis Hug commercial because you're a company that focuses on and, to be fair, does a lot with safety...make your brakes beyond reproach. Partner with StopTech or Brembo or whoever you have to partner with to make this happen if necessary.

-Sport Classic trims. The Accord Sport, by all accounts, has been a great success. I say go all in on that but use it to honor the heritage of Honda. I love some of the old design details when I look at classic Honda's: I love love love the off center "Honda" on the front grille of old Civic's and Accords (not to mention the dual round headlamps). I love the black trim piece that runs all the way around the car (where the door guards are now) of Old Civic's and CR-Vs. I love the two-spoke steering wheel of old Civic Hatchbacks. And paint colors: I miss the old Green CR-Vs, those light blue Civic Hatches... It's a bit chintzy and could go horribly wrong if not done properly but I think it could be a really neat thing.

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Reasonable New Years Resolutions for Honda/Acura    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-09-2015 02:26
You don't need to wait for a FMC to upgrade the brakes!! All it takes is specifying a reasonable caliper and pad. At a stretch it may mean changing the rim design to fit bigger calipers, but really, for a company that plays the safety card so heavily, poor braking is piss poor.

Oh wait, if your not driving sportingly, then the inadequate brakes aren't really a concern........

Another resolution is for Honda to employ some DECENT designers. Period. Even the much improved effort of the TLX leaves a lot to be desired. The NSX looks, so far, to be a competent effort, but lets see the production model?

Chris David
Profile for Chris David
Re: Reasonable New Years Resolutions for Honda/Acura    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-09-2015 08:20
-Fire Ito (pretty much a done deal).

-Bring over a limited quantity of the CTR (Any else notice that VW sold out the Gold R in less than 12 hours?)

-Release a TLX and ILX Type S

-Get rid of the power plenum (I think Rolled said this was planned already IIRC)

KaizenDo
Profile for KaizenDo
Re: Reasonable New Years Resolutions for Honda/Acura    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2015 17:44
- offer i-MMD Hybrid Powertrain also in compact and supermini cars.

- Keep downsized Turbo engines optional and not the sole engine choice.

CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Re: Reasonable New Years Resolutions for Honda/Acura    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2015 18:10
- With the all new HR-V, Pilot, Odyssey and Civic on the horizon I don't think Honda has much to address. The only things I can think of are raise the quality standards, raise paint quality standards and keep the styling execution at a high level.

- Bring back a more entertaining and tactile driving experience while increasing refinement.

As for Acura....

- Make the A-spec package an option for non Type-S models.
- Make a TLX/ILX Type-S as you can't claim to be a luxury/PERFORMANCE brand with NO performance applications.
- This is a bit much but I'd really like to see a twin turbo 6 in the 350hp range for the TLX Type-S and as a replacement for the 3.5 in the RLX Sport Hybrid.
- Make the TLX a bit more high end. Raise the price about $2k but give it more substance in terms of material quality to validate the price increase.
- Give the RLX an early MMC and focus more on interior/exterior design perspective as visually, it just doesn't resonate with buyers of this class.
Make SH-AWD standard.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Reasonable New Years Resolutions for Honda/Acura    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-11-2015 10:12
iutodd wrote:
All Acura's and Honda's have world-class brakes. I'm tired tired tired of reading that such and such a Honda's 70-0 braking distance was either mid-pack or the distance faded over time. This counts as reasonable because Honda has 3 FMCs this year: HR-V, Pilot, Civic and several MMCs: Accord, ILX, RDX, MDX. There is no reason this can't be achieved with these models. Spend the money and make it happen - customers will spend $400 more for brakes that are an inch bigger or whatever has to happen. And if the Civic can stop in 150 ft then the ILX should stop in 140. You had that Bruce Willis Hug commercial because you're a company that focuses on and, to be fair, does a lot with safety...make your brakes beyond reproach. Partner with StopTech or Brembo or whoever you have to partner with to make this happen if necessary.

Brakes are always interesting. You have what amounts to a balance of many factors - the size of the rotors/drums and pads/shoes, the size of the hydraulic cylinders in the calipers/drum cylinders and the master cylinder, length of the brake pedal arm, the mechanical advantage of the pivot of the brake pedal arm, and where the master cylinder piston actuator attaches to the arm. And then you get into formulas for the pads/linings.

One major consideration is how effectively the brakes work at the point the ABS engages and the linearity of the brake force engagement up to that point when ABS is required. Which also points to tires. Engineers have spent a century perfecting the use of a brake pedal as a hydraulic actuator. What we don't seem much today are car reviews mentioning "grabby" brakes with poor modulation and uneven application force. Engineers spent more than a century perfecting tire compounds and then the wrench of low rolling resistance requirements was thrown into the works.

So to sum everything up, braking ability includes everything between the driver's left foot and the roadway, even to the point of including how heavy the huge wheels and tires on our cars are today. For most Honda customers, the most important factors are how often brake pads/shoes and rotors/drums must be replaced and how badly brake dust collects on the wheels and tires of their cars. Everyone just assumes the brakes in modern cars will smoothly and evenly slow our cars to a stop at infinitely variable rates of speed decrease. I will add for me that I'm less concerned with reducing at-limit braking distances by a few feet than with the linear feel of engagement of the brakes in my car at all driving speeds. I can easily install more aggressive tires.

HH
Profile for HH
Re: Reasonable New Years Resolutions for Honda/Acura    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-13-2015 20:05
People generally make new year's resolutions to improve in areas where they've been weak. Therefore I'll focus on two of Honda's under-achievers:

In the short-term:

- Sell the CR-Z with the supercharger standard on manual models.

- Tighten up the suspension on both manual and CVT models.

- Give it some new colours and wheel choices.

And in the long-term:

- Restyle the RLX. Never again should Acura's top sedan look anything like a big Accord.

- Drop the FWD model. Personally, I think it's a fine car, but Honda wants to sell it as a "luxury flagship", and the market has clearly said "No." This car is hurting Acura's credibility now.

- Give it a name. One with heritage and romance--precisely the things missing from Acura's brand image. Where can Honda get a name like that? Hmm... 'Acura Legend' maybe? Crazy idea, I know.

- Put some marketing dollars behind it. Sport Hybrid SH-AWD is fantastic and the world needs to know about it before every other manufacturer comes up with their own variations.

HDNBenjamin
Profile for HDNBenjamin
Re: Reasonable New Years Resolutions for Honda/Acura    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-15-2015 14:57
CivicB18 wrote:
- With the all new HR-V, Pilot, Odyssey and Civic on the horizon I don't think Honda has much to address. The only things I can think of are raise the quality standards, raise paint quality standards and keep the styling execution at a high level.

- Bring back a more entertaining and tactile driving experience while increasing refinement.

As for Acura....

- Make the A-spec package an option for non Type-S models.
- Make a TLX/ILX Type-S as you can't claim to be a luxury/PERFORMANCE brand with NO performance applications.
- This is a bit much but I'd really like to see a twin turbo 6 in the 350hp range for the TLX Type-S and as a replacement for the 3.5 in the RLX Sport Hybrid.
- Make the TLX a bit more high end. Raise the price about $2k but give it more substance in terms of material quality to validate the price increase.
- Give the RLX an early MMC and focus more on interior/exterior design perspective as visually, it just doesn't resonate with buyers of this class.
Make SH-AWD standard.

I agree w/ this 100%. You saved me ten minutes of typing.

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Reasonable New Years Resolutions for Honda/Acura    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-15-2015 16:47
CivicB18's list is good and it's really a no-brainer largely because it's realistic. I'd like to think the new team at Acura has already keyed into these things and has them on-deck.

As for brakes, they need nothing, I repeat, nothing other than to spec. better pads considering they aren't really spec'ing undersized rotors compared to other cars. I'll use my S2000 as an example. That car came with good OE pads but after I upgraded to Carbotech XP10's for my track work, the car can stop violently quick with stock rotors and lines. Sure they squeal like a bitch when cold and dust like a MFer all the time but the point is there's a lot of middle ground in pad material which would improve stopping distances and only add literally a few dollars of incremental cost to each car and maybe a little bit more dust for you to clean.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0