[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
More.......................
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
American Honda Reports July Sales Results
Official statement from Honda concerning flooding of Celaya factory
News from the dealer side: 2019 HR-V, Fit, and Insight production impacted due to flooding in Celaya
2019 Honda HR-V updated with styling tweaks, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, and available Honda Sensing
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Alonso Quits F1
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Local dealer has a bunch of new 17 Accord Tourings in front of building.
Join Discussion......
Honda Motorcycles --> Re: Retro Honda CBX returning - yes it has an L6. July 12-18
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Pilot --> Re: Chevy Prepping Mini-Blazer
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: European HRV with 1.5 L VTEC Turbo engine coming Spring 2019
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Alaska Airlines plane hijacked
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Navigation and Subtle Aromatherapy
Join Discussion......
Clarity --> Re: Clarity PHEV Owner
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: "Moose Test". Nissan Kicks fail
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Re:Honda Debuts 2019 Civic Sport in Sedan and Coupe Form
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: H2 for All... again at last!
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: No more 3rd gen FC Clarity, Hello 2020 4th gen
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Red Bull Ring Round 11 MotoGP (spoiler)
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: The new and used Jeeps are moving off the lot in New Jersey
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > Acura NSX Production Model to Make World Debut at 2015 North American International Auto Show > > Re: Lexus GS-F also debuting

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

silverTL6
Profile for silverTL6
Lexus GS-F also debuting [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-18-2014 02:12
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
While Acura's still struggling to launch a v6 hybrid performance flagship that barely look any different than their base models, Lexus is coming out of the gate swinging with this...

silverTL6
Profile for silverTL6
Re: Lexus GS-F also debuting [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-18-2014 02:20
I've always scoffed whenever "Lexus" and "performance" were used in the same sentence as they've never offered manual transmissions (aside from the IS250).

But with this and their past/present F models, Acura has lost the one advantage it has had over Lexus (6MT).

Just the detailing in the lights and grille makes the TLX and RLX look practically invisible.

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: Lexus GS-F also debuting [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-18-2014 10:48
silverTL6 wrote:
I've always scoffed whenever "Lexus" and "performance" were used in the same sentence as they've never offered manual transmissions (aside from the IS250).

But with this and their past/present F models, Acura has lost the one advantage it has had over Lexus (6MT).

Just the detailing in the lights and grille makes the TLX and RLX look practically invisible.

Yeh looks like they are aiming to rip off the jewel eye headlights too! I agree Lexus is stepping up their performance game but they are still getting knocked for bringing an ancient V8 to the fight believe it or not, although I know its only because they are not German. Also in case of the RC they still cannot style a car unless its conservative, the front ends of their lineup is aggressive for sure but the side profiles are bland and leave a lot to be desired.

Lastly from these teasers the dash to axle ratio is off for the GS, leaving some to speculate it could be the CT or another FWD model. Although the GSF could be the second F model since they are debuting two at Detroit.

lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: Lexus GS-F also debuting [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-18-2014 11:45
Mikeydred wrote:
silverTL6 wrote:

Yeh looks like they are aiming to rip off the jewel eye headlights too! I agree Lexus is stepping up their performance game but they are still getting knocked for bringing an ancient V8 to the fight believe it or not, although I know its only because they are not German. Also in case of the RC they still cannot style a car unless its conservative, the front ends of their lineup is aggressive for sure but the side profiles are bland and leave a lot to be desired.

Lastly from these teasers the dash to axle ratio is off for the GS, leaving some to speculate it could be the CT or another FWD model. Although the GSF could be the second F model since they are debuting two at Detroit.

Some may be knocking them for that but just as many if not more are praising them for sticking with normally aspirated V8 in the GS F and putting a V8 in the RC instead of a turbo 6 cylinder. There is nothing ancient about a DI DOHC modern V8.

silverTL6
Profile for silverTL6
Re: Lexus GS-F also debuting [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-18-2014 13:36
Dunno if Jewel Eyes came first or not, but they've had the L-pattern LED projectors since at least the RC's debut (here they are simply adding a 3rd projector). Either way, they look more refined than the RLX's spider eyes IMO.

And the Lexus F chief engineer has been quoted as saying they're sticking with V8's for better throttle response. Seems like a good answer to me, better than trying to tweak turbo lag or adding heavy electric motors to compensate.

Karl80
Profile for Karl80
Re: Lexus GS-F also debuting [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-19-2014 07:18
I like the V8 however, the current GS is boring as hell, most of the time looks like the Sonata. The entire Lexus line except LS looks very cartoonish (esp. IS) and trying to hard to stand out the wrong way. The swoosh LED also looks tacky. Many people I know think similarly so that has to be something bad for them. The TLX looks more mature and elegant to my eyes.
CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Lexus GS-F also debuting [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-19-2014 07:24
As long as it doesn't weigh 4000 lbs like the RC-F. Holy shit.

Would also be nice if they took advantage of the naturally aspirated V8 by offering a manual transmission.

Would also be nice if they toned down the design language.

There's a new IS F-sport in my apartment garage that has a Transformers Autobots badge on the front. It occurred to me at that point that perhaps Lexus has indeed managed to shed their conservative image, however they appear to have gone the other way entirely and are appealing to an... um... unique demographic.

acuraguy
Profile for acuraguy
Re: Lexus GS-F also debuting [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-19-2014 12:06
I don't know how the is 350 fsport transmission avoids criticism. It seemed very slow to downshift with lots of torque converter slip at times. Is it essentially the Camry slush box with paddles? Granted this is for the AWD version, but lexus doesn't even bring any rwd models to alberta to compare. For me the tranny really killed the driving experience. I really feel acura could hit a home run with a tlx type s- the market is there, the NSX halo is about to be in full force- wake up acura!
Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: Lexus GS-F also debuting [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-19-2014 13:30
CarPhreakD wrote:
As long as it doesn't weigh 4000 lbs like the RC-F. Holy shit.

Would also be nice if they took advantage of the naturally aspirated V8 by offering a manual transmission.

Would also be nice if they toned down the design language.

There's a new IS F-sport in my apartment garage that has a Transformers Autobots badge on the front. It occurred to me at that point that perhaps Lexus has indeed managed to shed their conservative image, however they appear to have gone the other way entirely and are appealing to an... um... unique demographic.

No kidding the RC-F is one heavy coupe! The standard GS350 RWD is at 3850lb and AWD trim is close to 4000lb. With a V8, potentially stiffer structure and other parts, the GS F might still get close to 4000lb, if not over, unless it undergoes a serious diet.

iNteGRaz92
Profile for iNteGRaz92
Re: Lexus GS-F also debuting [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-20-2014 03:55
so what does this have to do with the nsx? just trolling any kind of positive acura news?
silverTL6
Profile for silverTL6
Re: Lexus GS-F also debuting [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-22-2014 01:19
iNteGRaz92 wrote:
so what does this have to do with the nsx? just trolling any kind of positive acura news?

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for the NSX, and it would still be the first thing I'd check out at the Detroit show, amongst all the other awesome debuts (GS-F and now the CTS-V). Add in the ATS-V and the next S4, it's shaping up to be an awesome year for the sporty car enthusiast. A surprise TLX-S would be icing on the cake, but not holding my breath for that one...

CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Re: Lexus GS-F also debuting [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-24-2014 12:34
silverTL6 wrote:
iNteGRaz92 wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for the NSX, and it would still be the first thing I'd check out at the Detroit show, amongst all the other awesome debuts (GS-F and now the CTS-V). Add in the ATS-V and the next S4, it's shaping up to be an awesome year for the sporty car enthusiast. A surprise TLX-S would be icing on the cake, but not holding my breath for that one...

That CTS-V is going to be a benchmark!! It's lighter than all its competitors while making more power. Dynamically, the mainstream CTS has proven to be far more capable than the German competition. It also has the next generation of magnetic ride control which is much faster in its response. Should be quite a car!!

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0