[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
More.......................
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
American Honda Reports July Sales Results
Official statement from Honda concerning flooding of Celaya factory
News from the dealer side: 2019 HR-V, Fit, and Insight production impacted due to flooding in Celaya
2019 Honda HR-V updated with styling tweaks, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, and available Honda Sensing
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2009 Honda S2000 Edition 100
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Odds of a hatchback SiR?
Join Discussion......
Sales Experiences --> Re: Questions regarding: lease, then buy option
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: The FB Clarity FCEV group is full of shit
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: C&D,The 2019 Honda Pilot Looks Tougher and Drives Better
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Sat in an Advance - Complaints
Join Discussion......
Clarity --> Re: Clarity BEV
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Red Bull Racing Confirms Gasly for 2019
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> hodge·podge
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Cash incentives for the Canadian Accord?
Join Discussion......
Strictly Technical --> Re: CEL problems
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Accord 2.0 touring or TLX V6 Tech FWD
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Alonso Quits F1
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Alaska Airlines plane hijacked
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > Acura Set to Launch More Powerful, Technologically Advanced and Luxuriously Equipped 2016 Acura ILX > > Re: Why would they detune this by 5 hp ?

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

Pauly123
Profile for Pauly123
Why would they detune this by 5 hp ? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2014 15:11
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Just curious, why would they do that compared to the TLX 4cyl?

I've been waiting patiently for this car, as I currently own a 2006 TSX. Car just hit 65k miles and I'm considering selling it. Love the engine and tranny combo in the new ILX; all the reviews on the 8 speed DCT have been awesome, not so sure about the boy racer wheels though (not sure what package those are on). Overall, I think they did a nice job. If the cars stay under 33k I think it will do very well. It's no RSX-s, I owned two of those and would buy it again tomorrow if I could, but sadly for Honda, those days are long gone.

Yes, I know my post is kind of all over the place...:)

Colin
Profile for Colin
Re: Why would they detune this by 5 hp ? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2014 15:44
Pauly123 wrote:
Just curious, why would they do that compared to the TLX 4cyl?

Just a guess, but maybe so it can run on regular? The TLX will do so as well, but says "Premium Recommended" on the gas door.

ipribadi
Profile for ipribadi
Re: Why would they detune this by 5 hp ? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2014 16:21
Lower peak torque at 3,600 rpm.

It is possible that in order to compete better with its turbo rivals, Acura tuned the K24W to have more bias towards low-mid rpm torque than top end power.

outersquare
Profile for outersquare
Re: Why would they detune this by 5 hp ? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2014 23:24
also possible they decreased the spec on paper only.

silverTL6
Profile for silverTL6
Re: Why would they detune this by 5 hp ? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2014 23:33
Or as usual, to prevent stepping on big brother's (TLX 4-cyl) toes.

Just like how the TLX/MDX v6 was detuned to 290hp to avoid stepping on the 310hp RLX's toes, despite having the same engine.

08NWBLKTLS
Profile for 08NWBLKTLS
Re: Why would they detune this by 5 hp ? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-22-2014 00:29
I would like to see the 205 hp civic si vs the ilx vs the tlx.
99SI
Profile for 99SI
Re: Why would they detune this by 5 hp ? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-22-2014 07:55
The probably did not de-tune it. I am sure it has to do with the exhaust vs. the TLX. Either way I am betting this is going to be a really fun powertrain in this car if the TLX is any indication.

chhan02
Profile for chhan02
Re: Why would they detune this by 5 hp ? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-22-2014 10:39
Probably Single exhaust vs. Dual exhaust?
The peak torque comes in earlier. Which is interesting. Wonder how different it will feel versus the TLX

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Why would they detune this by 5 hp ? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-22-2014 11:31
99SI wrote:
The probably did not de-tune it. I am sure it has to do with the exhaust vs. the TLX. Either way I am betting this is going to be a really fun powertrain in this car if the TLX is any indication.

This.

Possibly a tighter intake installation, too.

qingcong
Profile for qingcong
Re: Why would they detune this by 5 hp ? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-22-2014 14:29
I think the published HP numbers are marketing exercises. These numbers are basically ballparks. I don't think they'd put anymore engineering effort into redesigning the engine than they'd have to; I doubt they cared about where torque came on and all that. It is probably the same thing as in the TLX, just marketing didn't want to trespass onto TLX territory.
08NWBLKTLS
Profile for 08NWBLKTLS
Re: Why would they detune this by 5 hp ? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-22-2014 16:15
08NWBLKTLS wrote:
I would like to see the 205 hp civic si vs the ilx vs the tlx.

On the dyno*

outersquare
Profile for outersquare
Re: Why would they detune this by 5 hp ? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-22-2014 18:49
even if it is actually detuned that is just more power that can be picked up if a reflash comes out
shingles
Profile for shingles
Re: Why would they detune this by 5 hp ? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-23-2014 13:08
Of course they car. The engine bay is different and the chassis is different. Intake and exhaust designs will be different... you think they don't care and just slap it on there? really?
CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Why would they detune this by 5 hp ? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-23-2014 15:22
qingcong wrote:
I think the published HP numbers are marketing exercises. These numbers are basically ballparks. I don't think they'd put anymore engineering effort into redesigning the engine than they'd have to; I doubt they cared about where torque came on and all that. It is probably the same thing as in the TLX, just marketing didn't want to trespass onto TLX territory.

Actually this part isn't true. Automakers spend a TREMENDOUS amount of time and energy into calibrating the engine (and therefore understanding its final power curves). They have to, not only because they are liable for any performance numbers they publish (i.e. the engine HAS to make those numbers, or like Hyundai they might get hit with a class action lawsuit), these numbers are done as a result of SAE certification process, and because such numbers are also required for their fuel and emissions related engineering.

qingcong
Profile for qingcong
Re: Why would they detune this by 5 hp ? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-23-2014 19:16
CarPhreakD wrote:

Actually this part isn't true. Automakers spend a TREMENDOUS amount of time and energy into calibrating the engine (and therefore understanding its final power curves). They have to, not only because they are liable for any performance numbers they publish (i.e. the engine HAS to make those numbers, or like Hyundai they might get hit with a class action lawsuit), these numbers are done as a result of SAE certification process, and because such numbers are also required for their fuel and emissions related engineering.

Yeah I get your point, I think that since they've already done the engine tuning with the TLX, there's likely not as much work needed for the ILX. Of course I don't know, they could have put a lot of work into optimizing this engine for the ILX, but even if that were the case, I don't think these numbers provided in the press release necessarily mean much. A dyno curve would be much more revealing. If they were +/-20hp off or 5MPG different than before, then yeah, that is something to think about, but -5hp is pretty damn close. If indeed they did make a conscious effort to move the torque curve and detune peak power, then it's very likely for the sake of MPGs.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0