[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
General Talk --> Re: Said Goodbye to the MDX Today
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Will Honda join Aston Martin and Red Bull with Sports Cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Z6 head studs
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - Toro Rosso STR14 Pictures
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Honda Fit Render
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Facts about HMA - 60 years of AHM - 50 years of CB750
Join Discussion......
Audio & Electronics --> Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Kandi EV Approved for US
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Acura 2016 and Beyond...

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2 3 4
Author
  Post New Thread
Bovicious
Profile for Bovicious
Acura 2016 and Beyond...    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-16-2014 15:51
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Hello all,

New user, long time follower...I have some interesting information regarding the 2016 and beyond Acura lineup that was disclosed at a recent Acura meeting...I am affiliated with Acura and this is all relevant and up to date information that was shared a recent meeting and I wanted others to know what they can expect from 2016 and beyond...

1st: The ILX will be redesigned, jewel eye headlights, 2.4 from the outgoing TSX (unsure what tranny will be mated to it, but no more 5 speed) and few other cosmetic changes/upgrades (think baby TLX)

2nd: RDX will in fact have an advanced package, less the rear entertainment...will also be getting the jewel eye LED's, rear seat vents and a few other cosmetic changes (think baby MDX) Also, they are "tweaking" the grille of the RDX, not a full blown redesign like the SUV-X grille or anything like that, that is still a few years away

3rd: MDX will allow customers to purchase the advanced package WITHOUT rear entertainment and save some $ in the process...

4th: There is a coupe in the works, nothing mentioned in detail due to the fact its still in the very early planning stages, think 2017 at the earliest...also, there were talks of a convertible and a baby NSX roadster..

5th: AWD will be available on every model come next year (which has already been beat to death in every other forum or online publication) so nothing new there...

Lastly, as I mentioned above, the new "grille" is still a few years away from being introduced into the vehicles (an Acura executive was straight and to the point with his answer that it takes a few years to make it look right, who knows...but they are making a new grille)

I hope this can clarify some of the questions everyone has had recently over the 2016 ILX and 2016 RDX and even some of the other models that were getting a few changes...

TurkMan71
Profile for TurkMan71
Re: Acura 2016 and Beyond...    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-16-2014 17:05
Bovicious wrote:
Hello all,

New user, long time follower...I have some interesting information regarding the 2016 and beyond Acura lineup that was disclosed at a recent Acura meeting...I am affiliated with Acura and this is all relevant and up to date information that was shared a recent meeting and I wanted others to know what they can expect from 2016 and beyond...

1st: The ILX will be redesigned, jewel eye headlights, 2.4 from the outgoing TSX (unsure what tranny will be mated to it, but no more 5 speed) and few other cosmetic changes/upgrades (think baby TLX)

2nd: RDX will in fact have an advanced package, less the rear entertainment...will also be getting the jewel eye LED's, rear seat vents and a few other cosmetic changes (think baby MDX) Also, they are "tweaking" the grille of the RDX, not a full blown redesign like the SUV-X grille or anything like that, that is still a few years away

3rd: MDX will allow customers to purchase the advanced package WITHOUT rear entertainment and save some $ in the process...

4th: There is a coupe in the works, nothing mentioned in detail due to the fact its still in the very early planning stages, think 2017 at the earliest...also, there were talks of a convertible and a baby NSX roadster..

5th: AWD will be available on every model come next year (which has already been beat to death in every other forum or online publication) so nothing new there...

Lastly, as I mentioned above, the new "grille" is still a few years away from being introduced into the vehicles (an Acura executive was straight and to the point with his answer that it takes a few years to make it look right, who knows...but they are making a new grille)

I hope this can clarify some of the questions everyone has had recently over the 2016 ILX and 2016 RDX and even some of the other models that were getting a few changes...

Thanks for the info...any updates to the RLX? Will there be a RLX four dour 'coupe'? Any confirmation on RWD being completely passed up for AWD? And will all applications of AWD be SH-AWD or will there be cheaper, less worthy/sophisticated versions (like the RDX)?

A77X
Profile for A77X
Re: Acura 2016 and Beyond...    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-16-2014 17:19
so awd on the ILX?
Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: Acura 2016 and Beyond...    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-16-2014 17:25
The question is... is this AWD SH-AWD?
TurkMan71
Profile for TurkMan71
Re: Acura 2016 and Beyond...    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-16-2014 17:43
Hondatalover wrote:
The question is... is this AWD SH-AWD?

I'm also wondering about the styling direction - more specifically the proportions. If they can pull off what Audi has been trying to do and what the old Acura longitudinal based engined cars looked like, there might be a tiny bit of hope left for this fast sinking nameplate...

Bovicious
Profile for Bovicious
Re: Acura 2016 and Beyond...    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-16-2014 18:35
The AWD will in fact be SH-AWD, the lighter version taken from the TLX for obvious reasons...RWD is never happen for any sedan or suv due to the fact the SH-AWD will be available...I know, I know let the Acura bashing begin, but it's been covered way too many times to think RWD was ever a possibility..

There was no direct indication of any new(er) plans with the RLX, however, from what we've been told they are working on changing the design to something a little less boring? If that's the right word? Essentially a bigger version of the TLX with more luxury appointments inside, making SH-AWD standard like the older RL's...

Memo60
Profile for Memo60
Re: Acura 2016 and Beyond...    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-16-2014 18:43
Any turbo engines?
JeffreynLA
Profile for JeffreynLA
Re: Acura 2016 and Beyond...    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-16-2014 18:49
Bovicious wrote:
The AWD will in fact be SH-AWD, the lighter version taken from the TLX for obvious reasons...RWD is never happen for any sedan or suv due to the fact the SH-AWD will be available...I know, I know let the Acura bashing begin, but it's been covered way too many times to think RWD was ever a possibility..

There was no direct indication of any new(er) plans with the RLX, however, from what we've been told they are working on changing the design to something a little less boring? If that's the right word? Essentially a bigger version of the TLX with more luxury appointments inside, making SH-AWD standard like the older RL's...

Thanks for the info Bovicious. Any indication if the ILX AWD would be for the current model or the next generation? Since the Civic is supposed to be all new for the 2016 model year, this has me wondering if an new ILX will follow maybe 6-12 months after the Civic…

TurkMan71
Profile for TurkMan71
Re: Acura 2016 and Beyond...    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-16-2014 19:05
Thanks for the quick and thorough reply! So no RWD for sedans and SUVs...is there a possibility for coupes/sports cars?

I'm also interested in the time frame question about the ILX someone else posed. Will the MMC ILX get SH-AWD? And will turbos finally be implemented in the near future - MMC ILX, TLX type-S, RLX?

I'm still very worried about the design, if Acura can't escape FWD proportions on all and especially upscale models, I fear it will never see success...

MalcolmR
Profile for MalcolmR
Re: Acura 2016 and Beyond...    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-16-2014 19:12
Thank you, Bovicious.

Malcolm

TLOwner
Profile for TLOwner
Re: Acura 2016 and Beyond...    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-16-2014 19:18
Bovicious wrote:
Hello all,

LOL.Making the new grille look right? like it is now? So pathetic.
I hope you can deliver a message to that Acura exec: there are many ex Acura customers will never buy another Acura unless the current design is removed

Secondly, RWD can happen if Honda removes that idiot Ito. It can happen.

Finally, RLX is dead. I hope the people there understand that. It was DOA and is certainly dead now. Use the resources to do other things.

Bovicious
Profile for Bovicious
Re: Acura 2016 and Beyond...    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-16-2014 20:16
AWD for the current ILX, Acura finally realized how bad they were being slapped around by the likes of the CLA and the A3 and said enough is enough, if they can do a low 200 hp AWD sedan so can we.

What's going to allow the car to be peppy and fun to drive will be the choice of transmission, which unfortunately I don't remember what they mentioned, I do have it written down somewhere in my notes. People were quick to bash the TLX with only 206 hp and that thing has surprised everyone, including myself...

In regards to a turbo setup, that is in the works...quite possibly 2017 models? Maybe? it depends on how well they're received with the Hondas and what issues could arise.

I know a lot of people are going to be crying "why don't they do an RWD setup and blah blah blah! that would bring them up to BMW levels!" But the truth is, the sh-AWD will blow any RWD out of the water in terms of handling and performance, bottom line, end of story

Bovicious
Profile for Bovicious
Re: Acura 2016 and Beyond...    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-16-2014 21:01
By making the grille look right he meant making it look good across the whole lineup...what looks good on a TLX may not look good on an mdx..Think 3rd gen TL with an SUV-x spin to it...trust me there isn't much resemblance to what is on the Acuras now...

The turbo applications weren't discussed in great detail, other than they'll be introduced when the time is right and when they don't have any major snags or problems i.e the RLX sport hybrid...I hate to say it but the type-s name is dead, and won't be coming back...will there be a performance variant? yes...but the type-s died when the market crashed last time around...

Someone mentioned that Acura will have an all new lineup that they've never had before in the history of the company and I read between the lines with how hush hush they were being...ILX, TLX, RLX (redesigned), TLX coupe/convertible which the convertible may not be based on TLX it could be its own design...RDX, MDX, NSX, baby NSX (s2000 performance and size with Acura fit and finish) and maybe another smaller suv down the line if market demands are still trending that way...

Look, Acura has been out for 27 years and they've had one true RWD vehicle in the last NSX...read my post above regarding RWD vs sh-AWD...if you can get better real world performance numbers on a vehicle with awd than RWD why would that be considered a failure and the wrong way?? I do agree they need to make the cars look a little less fwd biased but RWD isn't going to hold a candle to the sh-AWD offerings coming down the line

Midi_Amp
Profile for Midi_Amp
Re: Acura 2016 and Beyond...    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-16-2014 21:27
Bovicious wrote:
AWD for the current ILX, Acura finally realized how bad they were being slapped around by the likes of the CLA and the A3 and said enough is enough, if they can do a low 200 hp AWD sedan so can we.

What's going to allow the car to be peppy and fun to drive will be the choice of transmission, which unfortunately I don't remember what they mentioned, I do have it written down somewhere in my notes. People were quick to bash the TLX with only 206 hp and that thing has surprised everyone, including myself...

In regards to a turbo setup, that is in the works...quite possibly 2017 models? Maybe? it depends on how well they're received with the Hondas and what issues could arise.

I know a lot of people are going to be crying "why don't they do an RWD setup and blah blah blah! that would bring them up to BMW levels!" But the truth is, the sh-AWD will blow any RWD out of the water in terms of handling and performance, bottom line, end of story

Thanks Bovicious. Appreciate the info.

I have slight reservation with your ILX information though. Just wondering why use the TSX engine? The K24Z3 and K24Z7 is essentially the same engine. I thought maybe you made a typo for TLX, but you stated the outgoing model so it's a TSX engine.

Also, any form of AWD calls for quite a rework on the underbody of the car. The fuel tank is right in the way of the supposed rear differential would be. The tunnel shaft needs to be reworked too.

It's a different thing altogether than the DCT Vs CVT debate story on the TLX. I expect the ILX refresh is going to use the TLX engine DCT combo with P-AWS, since it's logical (economy of scale and slight chassis rework). An AWD would be better... But... using the TSX engine?

Bovicious
Profile for Bovicious
Re: Acura 2016 and Beyond...    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-16-2014 21:43
We were told TSX 2.4 engine, not TLX, could he have said it wrong? possibly..did I hear him wrong and write it down wrong? possibly...I just assumed they had their reasons for using the older version which has been out a lot longer than the new TLX variant..but you're right they are almost identical so my bad on that one, I guess we will see once the full specs are released which engine is being used, just know that it is in fact a 2.4 NA engine

The underside has been reworked and tweaked to accommodate the AWD system, that was the 1st point that was addressed in how it was possible. They had been designing and implementing the AWD system on the ilx for quite some time just never got the green light until recently.

All in all what they mentioned is they want the ILX to look like a mini TLX, the new RLX (whenever it's released) to look like a bigger TLX and the RDX to look like a mini MDX.

Bovicious
Profile for Bovicious
Re: Acura 2016 and Beyond...    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-16-2014 21:57
Sorry to be posting back to back to back but I keep thinking of things I missed lol...the RDX is going to come with the power rear lift gate as a standard feature now! if I think of any others I'll keep em coming
TurkMan71
Profile for TurkMan71
Re: Acura 2016 and Beyond...    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-16-2014 22:19
Bovicious wrote:
Sorry to be posting back to back to back but I keep thinking of things I missed lol...the RDX is going to come with the power rear lift gate as a standard feature now! if I think of any others I'll keep em coming

Will the RDX (for the MMC) get SH-AWD?

And many trust that SH-AWD will outperform it's competitors, but...and it's a BIG BUT, will it feel better than RWD? Who knows what the new versions will feel like. But every SH-AWD till now has lacked the natural and fun feel of RWD. So I'm very skeptical on that front until proven otherwise...

Btw: a big, revised RLX with TLX styling does not bode well imho.

qingcong
Profile for qingcong
Re: Acura 2016 and Beyond...    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-16-2014 22:21
Bovicious wrote:
We were told TSX 2.4 engine, not TLX, could he have said it wrong? possibly..did I hear him wrong and write it down wrong? possibly...I just assumed they had their reasons for using the older version which has been out a lot longer than the new TLX variant..but you're right they are almost identical so my bad on that one, I guess we will see once the full specs are released which engine is being used, just know that it is in fact a 2.4 NA engine

The underside has been reworked and tweaked to accommodate the AWD system, that was the 1st point that was addressed in how it was possible. They had been designing and implementing the AWD system on the ilx for quite some time just never got the green light until recently.

All in all what they mentioned is they want the ILX to look like a mini TLX, the new RLX (whenever it's released) to look like a bigger TLX and the RDX to look like a mini MDX.

ILX already looks like a mini TLX. I think the ILX looks great. They need to make it perform better - better powertrain, more luxurious. If they can make a TLX with that level of luxury and that many features at 31k, there's no reason to pay 30k for a far worse ILX.

Midi_Amp
Profile for Midi_Amp
Re: Acura 2016 and Beyond...    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-16-2014 22:24
Bovicious wrote:

I hope it's the TLX engine. It does wonder on the TLX, on a lighter car such as ILX, the engine should feel substantial.

Acura already has an AWD ILX? That's just... wow, they should offer it from the get go. An underbody work is quite significant, I cannot imagine why Acura kept it.

You know, an ILX with TLX drivetrain and AWD is a recipe for success... SH-AWD should sweeten the deal.

longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: Acura 2016 and Beyond...    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-16-2014 23:35
Thanks Bovicious for the info and welcome to TOV.

Honda's accountants have to be pulling their hair out writing off another dye press, the Civic now for the RLX/Legend. But it's the right decision to do. Standard AWD is smart too.

silverTL6
Profile for silverTL6
Re: Acura 2016 and Beyond...    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-16-2014 23:46
Bovicious wrote:
Think 3rd gen TL with an SUV-x spin to it...trust me there isn't much resemblance to what is on the Acuras now...

So they showed pics of future models? I'm guessing no cameras/photos were allowed at the event.

Bovicious wrote:
We were told TSX 2.4 engine, not TLX, could he have said it wrong?

The current ILX 6MT already uses the TSX 2.4, so no surprise if they decide to stick with that (and it gives the TLX 2.4 a bit more differentiation). The problem is they couldn't fit the TSX 5AT in the ILX, so it'll be interesting which tranny they end up using.

Bovicious wrote:
I hate to say it but the type-s name is dead, and won't be coming back...will there be a performance variant? yes...but the type-s died when the market crashed last time around...

Sounds like they could care less about brand equity. Did they say how the performance variants will be branded going forward? Hopefully it won't be "Sport Hybrid" or "A-Spec" :-(

Bovicious wrote:
if you can get better real world performance numbers on a vehicle with awd than RWD why would that be considered a failure and the wrong way??

Because RWD is lighter, less complex, more fuel efficient, and cheaper once the costs of the RWD platform have been spread across multiple models?

Midi_Amp wrote:
You know, an ILX with TLX drivetrain and AWD is a recipe for success... SH-AWD should sweeten the deal.[/I

And that should appease the folks who wanted the TLX 2.4 with AWD...

Bovicious
Profile for Bovicious
Re: Acura 2016 and Beyond...    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-17-2014 00:53
Correct, no cameras or pictures...

I'll have to find my notes regarding the tranny they plan on using...I'll find it tomorrow at some point

No word on performance variant branding yet...they were very VERY hush hush on a the coupe, convertible, performance variants...all that was mentioned was they are in the works and will surprise a lot of people

You're right regarding the complexity of AWD vs RWD, but let's be honest...99% of the people buying a car nowadays are looking for all weather performance (rain and snow) and sure footed handling with the tires that come on the car STOCK, not $350 a tire extreme performance only tires ...Not that a RWD ISNT capable of that, the sh-AWD just does a better job of it in stock form on everyday all season tires. Just because the 1% of performance minded folks (myself included) would prefer a RWD vehicle, doesn't mean they're going to drop $$$ on something that will only sell in limited numbers...If anyone can prove to Acura and even Honda that by them switching to RWD instead of AWD or fwd will allow them to "hang" with the big boys, it ain't happening...Again, something in a baby NSX or roadster with RWD is more than likely going to come to fruition EVENTUALLY, it isn't going to allow Acura to justify making RWD standard across all models, let alone 1 or 2

Let me ask the folks on here if they think had the RLX come in RWD in the same body it has now, would there still be talks of it being too soft and a "wanna be" luxury sedan?? Don't let your clouded judgement say yes lol what if bmw or Mercedes ditched the RWD for AWD or even *gasp* FWD would they too be lumped into the same category as the RLX?? Audi has done a damn good job of throwing AWD on everything they make and yet its still *wait for it* fwd based! (with the exception of the R8 and quite possibly the A8 and TT if I'm not mistaken, correct me if I'm wrong) A3, A4, A6, A7, Q3,Q5, Q7 and all road...all based on *wait for it* fwd VW platforms with a fwd based AWD system...I can tell you from owning all sorts of AWD vehicles that Audis Quattro doesn't hold a candle to acuras sh-AWD or even subarus symmetrical AWD setup...

One last question regarding awd, I want to know what everyone else thinks because I had it on my STI...How would people feel about having the ability to transfer more of the power to the rear wheels on the sh-awd setup? Have the ability to say, throw 70% of the power at the back wheels but allow the front to still take a 50/50 split if traction called for it? Essentially reverse what happens now with the 70/30 split front to rear with 50/50 as needed...would that make it *feel* less like a fwd based car?

lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: Acura 2016 and Beyond...    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-17-2014 01:24
Bovicious wrote:

No it won't. That has never happened and won't happen. Just putting a awd system on a front heavy highly unbalanced fwd transverse family sedan platform is not going to get you anything near as good handling or driving dynamics as a proper rwd setup. They/you can spin it all they want, it is not going to happen on a fwd family sedan platform. If they put SHawd on a proper long rwd platform then yes it would likely beat BMW.

Honda management is totally clueless how to run a luxury company. The answer is so easy to get the right proportions, balance, and dynamics, not need awd and a bunch of bandaids, and what the class demands but they simply refuse to give Acura a rwd platform for sedans and coupes and will continue the same failed Honda + strategy of basing everything on Accord and civic platforms with mostly Honda hand me downs. Nothing has changed.

It is not about money either, if they have enough money to build a jet and a jet engine as well as waste millions on that stupid robot or all those Tier 1 products they killed they sure as hell have plenty of money to give Acura a rwd platform to base a few cars off of it which would solve so many of their problems. The Accord, civic, Odyssey,CRV, MDX, RDX, are huge hits and tops in class and making them tons of money. No excuse other then being clueless and stubborn.

They have tried 3 times for 20 years and failed each time with the RL's and RLX to sell a fwd/awd V6 flagship and they will keep failing if all they have done is convinced themselves that just awd and some styling tweaks will solve their problems. I think if they could make a good looking great driving larger car on a Accord platform it would have happened by now, they simply can't make a good looking nicely proportioned larger luxury car on a Accord platform so expect more of the same.

Has there ever been a really good looking large sedan on a fwd transverse platform?

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Acura 2016 and Beyond...    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-17-2014 02:07
Here we go again.

Hopefully, some day, these folks will get better at this.

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Acura 2016 and Beyond...    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-17-2014 02:33
lexusgs wrote:

No it won't. That has never happened and won't happen. Just putting a awd system on a front heavy highly unbalanced fwd transverse family sedan platform is not going to get you anything near as good handling or driving dynamics as a proper rwd setup. They/you can spin it all they want, it is not going to happen on a fwd family sedan platform. If they put SHawd on a proper long rwd platform then yes it would likely beat BMW.

Notwithstanding the rest of your argument, to which I mostly agree, I disagree with the above paragraph.

I know from personal experience that the RLegendo, with just minor tyre pressure tweaks, WILL out perform a RWD sedan of the same size up to and including the race track, as I have said in many posts since that track day in 2007. http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-message?message_id=708132

Indeed, over the years of owning my Legend, I found it fun to out perform many supposed sports sedans on twisty roads, so long a power wasn't required.

The real issue I believe, is Acura was unwilling to offer the American public the A-Spec suspension as a FACTORY option, so that more customers could be taught to appreciate just how well it could handle. Am I exaggerating? No because one only needs to look at how successful the GTR is in overcoming it's huge weight penalty to begin to understand that the RL could have been a Sport Sedan.

Bloody hell, I've been belting on about this for almost 8 years now, in too many posts to count!!! :(

I need a life, oh well, carry on with your discussions.

Jesse
Profile for Jesse
Re: Acura 2016 and Beyond...    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-17-2014 06:48
Bovicious wrote:
Let me ask the folks on here if they think had the RLX come in RWD in the same body it has now, would there still be talks of it being too soft and a "wanna be" luxury sedan?? Don't let your clouded judgement say yes lol what if bmw or Mercedes ditched the RWD for AWD or even *gasp* FWD would they too be lumped into the same category as the RLX?? Audi has done a damn good job of throwing AWD on everything they make and yet its still *wait for it* fwd based! (with the exception of the R8 and quite possibly the A8 and TT if I'm not mistaken, correct me if I'm wrong) A3, A4, A6, A7, Q3,Q5, Q7 and all road...all based on *wait for it* fwd VW platforms with a fwd based AWD system...I can tell you from owning all sorts of AWD vehicles that Audis Quattro doesn't hold a candle to acuras sh-AWD or even subarus symmetrical AWD setup...

I don't have a problem with Acura going the FWD route as long as product execution is spot-on. My reasons for suggesting an RWD plank for Acura is to further separate itself from Honda plus I believe it would tremendously help in the ratio/proportion of the car. Apart from a bland styling, the wheelbase to body length of the RLX is ridiculous. And the prominent crease near the top of the RLX's front wheels only exacerbates the already very long front overhang. It would help too, IMO, if the RLX is given a true full-size plank, I assume it is still using the Accord platform.

Midi_Amp
Profile for Midi_Amp
Re: Acura 2016 and Beyond...    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-17-2014 07:03
Jesse wrote:
Bovicious wrote:

I don't have a problem with Acura going the FWD route as long as product execution is spot-on. My reasons for suggesting an RWD plank for Acura is to further separate itself from Honda plus I believe it would tremendously help in the ratio/proportion of the car. Apart from a bland styling, the wheelbase to body length of the RLX is ridiculous. And the prominent crease near the top of the RLX's front wheels only exacerbates the already very long front overhang. It would help too, IMO, if the RLX is given a true full-size plank, I assume it is still using the Accord platform.

+1

It's not a matter of technicality, at 7/10 or even 8/10, a properly tuned FWD car can dance with RWD cars. The major kick in the nuts is that transverse east west engine placement. Yes it is the optimal engine placement for large interior space, but sideways engine makes for a short snout and bad overall proportion. Audi engines are mostly longitudinal north south, like a RWD car. It makes for a good proportion without the extra moving parts.

Acura tried hard to alleviate the proportion problem with extending the frontal area of the car (RLX)... And we know that doesn't end well. The TLX is nice, the designer and engineer found the best proportion to date for an Acura.

@Jesse The RLX is using the old Accord platform with full double wishbone suspension and multilink rear. The TLX/ILX/Civic/Accord are using the new platform of McPherson Strut and multilink rear... So I don't know, the RLX to say bluntly is riding on top of an exclusive platform :P

BG
Profile for BG
Re: Acura 2016 and Beyond...    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-17-2014 07:05
I was convinced shawd would out perform similar spec motors too, but I was shocked to see how much slower the system was in this test.... (in the hands of a professional)

TurkMan71
Profile for TurkMan71
Re: Acura 2016 and Beyond...    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-17-2014 07:30
Bovicious wrote:

Let me ask the folks on here if they think had the RLX come in RWD in the same body it has now, would there still be talks of it being too soft and a "wanna be" luxury sedan??

Again thanks for continuing the dialogue, it might feel like we are ganging up on you...

...but, if the RLX switched to RWD and nothing else changed it still would fail. It looks bland, in part because it looks like a larger dowdier Accord, with poor FWD proportions.

As far as Mercedes and BMW, if they switched to FWD, they still would have their reputation to persuade buyers and look past poor proportions (ahem...CLA)...Acura doesn't have that luxury - thank you pun.

I do appreciate more power going to the rear on SH-AWD models, but when I hear "but let's be honest...99% of the people buying a car nowadays are looking for all weather performance", all I see is compromise, something Mercedes nor BMW ever would utter.

JIRZLEE
Profile for JIRZLEE
Re: Acura 2016 and Beyond...    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-17-2014 10:01
The problem with the original question is that IF the current RLX switched to RWD the reality is that the body would change due to the natural change in proportions that would occur along with the switch from FWD to RWD.

So even if the styling elements all remained the same the car would look much better, handle more in line with expectations of a $50k car, not be directly compared with cars such as the Chevy Impala or even Accord Touring, and likely get better media reviews.

In the end, making that one change would change both perception and sales for the better.

Thread Page - [1] 2 3 4
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0