[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Honda Fit Render
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Kandi EV Approved for US
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda's new sub-brand Honda e
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: My first helmet !
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Honda closing UK plant that builds the Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Original NSX prototype only had a SOHC V6 without VTEC
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Rumours that Honda will close its Swindon plant
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Sunny came home with a mission
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Heard some old rumor that I really doubt

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
Maximania
Profile for Maximania
Heard some old rumor that I really doubt    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-28-2014 17:29
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Some really old news. I heard from someone who claims he has it on good authority that there were plans for a successor to the DC5 Integra/RSX-S. Said that the powertrain found in the 8th gen Civic Si was meant to be for the next gen Integra/RSX-S based on the 8th gen Civic platform, but they cancelled the Integra/RSX and so that powertrain went to the 8th gen Civic Si instead. Anyone know about this? I'd like to know if what this guy said has any validity

I really doubt it because 8th gen Civic Si powertrain is not much of an improvement (if at all) over JDM DC5 Type R, upon which the DC5 RSX-S was based. Seems like a backward step to me if this is to be believed. Also, since Integras are based on Civics, that powertrain would be meant for a Civic first, right? Basically, I have trouble believing that the 8th gen Civic Si powertrain was specifically designed for the next Integra. The 8th gen Civic Si is a spiritual successor, but not exactly a next-gen Integra/RSX-S, right?

outersquare
Profile for outersquare
Re: Heard some old rumor that I really doubt    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-29-2014 10:51
There was a claim made here that the last year or two of the 8G Civic SI consistently dynoed ~10WHP more than earlier ones.

Either way, this is a long passed hypothetical, since the 2.0L K series probably isn't coming back, especially with everything having an integrated exhaust manifold now. Thanks to emissions, CAFE, etc.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Heard some old rumor that I really doubt    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-29-2014 13:49
outersquare wrote:
There was a claim made here that the last year or two of the 8G Civic SI consistently dynoed ~10WHP more than earlier ones.

Either way, this is a long passed hypothetical, since the 2.0L K series probably isn't coming back, especially with everything having an integrated exhaust manifold now. Thanks to emissions, CAFE, etc.

Shawn had observed a consistent difference on his dyno, so i borrowed a 2011 Si and Dyno tested it and it clearly made more power than any of the earlier 8th gen Sis that we had tested. And about 17 more whp than the 2012 Si.

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?article_id=1001062&page_number=2

outersquare
Profile for outersquare
Re: Heard some old rumor that I really doubt    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-29-2014 14:41
Thanks, not saying your info is wrong, I just flipped through parts lists and everything seems to be the same part number between 2008 and 2011.

Even the ECU is the same part number, however I do not know if ECUs come preloaded with firmware and whether firmware version is incorporated into part number.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Heard some old rumor that I really doubt    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-29-2014 14:46
outersquare wrote:
Thanks, not saying your info is wrong, I just flipped through parts lists and everything seems to be the same part number between 2008 and 2011.

Even the ECU is the same part number, however I do not know if ECUs come preloaded with firmware and whether firmware version is incorporated into part number.

yeah, back in the day shawn and i looked at some of those things as well and couldn't really spot any differences in the part numbers.

I think at the time (and I could very well be remembering this wrong as it was over 3 years ago), Shawn said that the Hondata guys noticed that intake manifolds had been improved (even though same P/N) and were pretty close to the Type R spec. Also may have been some slight changes to the cam profile, but again, I'm struggling to recall what it was. I would be surprised if much of it was down to an ECU tune - as Hondata had demonstrated that the factory ECU tuned was already pretty much optimized for peak HP, but there was a lot of midrange torque to be picked up over the factory tune. We observed that ourselves on my own Si. Hondata Flashpro helped me lower VTEC crossover as well as tweak the cam phasing, providing a much fatter midrange but essentially zero peak hp improvement.

outersquare
Profile for outersquare
Re: Heard some old rumor that I really doubt    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-29-2014 15:02
Thanks, that would be interesting if Honda was sneaking in things like improved finishing on manifolds/cylinder head while keeping the same PN.

Fan Koni
Profile for Fan Koni
Re: Heard some old rumor that I really doubt    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-29-2014 18:32
outersquare wrote:
Thanks, that would be interesting if Honda was sneaking in things like improved finishing on manifolds/cylinder head while keeping the same PN.

It happens all the time during the last years e.g. companies will start reducing suppliers etc. So moving to the type r spec in this case is quite likely.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0